Erik Karlsson has been on the ice for 11/13 goals against so far this series.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Karlsson was good in game 1, however the Knights didn't really put the challenge on. Games 2 and 3, the Vegas forecheck is simply breaking down the Sharks...and especially Karlsson. I doubt it'll get better as he tries to simply make it through the playoffs without injury.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

posted this in the other thread but look at him cross over the wrong way and drift outside the dotline on Stones first goal last night...what on Earth. As soon as the puck goes back to the other side of the ice, he needs to sag and protect the middle.

he must be struggling with injury and quick twitch movements.

Stone was the responsibility of the center in the middle of the ice. Both defenders had their man on each side, how can you blame Karlsson for that? If anything its on Couture and partly on Dillon who is the defensemen on that side of the ice.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Came back too soon a few months ago and paid for it. He was never great in his own to begin with now he has lost some mobility, sad to see.

Reactions: amethyst

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Does someone have the graphic from the Senators run against Bruins where he was literally either on the ice or had a point in every GWG?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Question, how do you view the goaltending on those chances? Were they labeled and destined to go in no matter what, or should the goalie make some of those stops?

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Stone was the responsibility of the center in the middle of the ice. Both defenders had their man on each side, how can you blame Karlsson for that? If anything its on Couture and partly on Dillon who is the defensemen on that side of the ice.

Couture could have made more of an effort, but why is Karlsson worried about the man on the wing? Who is more dangerous in that situation?

Karlsson could have easily crossed over a few times to pressure the wide player had he received the pass instead of Stone.

Have to protect the center of the ice first.

Edit: Stone's hatty goal is another great example of Karlsson drifting and not working hard to make a play. Someone could do the old xbox controller disconnected on him for that one pretty easily.

Last edited:

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019

Both defenseman drifted outside the dots, parting the seas and leaving a forward to protect the whole middle of the ice. It was bad defense on the whole but as soon as the puck changes sides like that Karlsson needs to sag, hockey 101.

Instead he crossed over and drifted away from the middle and didn't make much of an effort to get back probably because he cant' make quick twitch movements and hard strides because of his injury.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I mean his skating has never been the same since his injury, but his lack of defensive game shouldn't come as much of a surprise. He is an absolutely elite offensive dman, and I know Sens fans tried to sell for years that he was good defensively, but that has never been the case.

Nice bait.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
His skating tells me he's aggravated his groin injury. A bit sad to watch him struggle like that.

I hope he sits, but I know he won't. That's what hockey players do come playoff time.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
Yeah, he can't create all of the goals. Who has had points besides him then?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is exactly why Tavares played the Islanders into not trading him at the deadline last year. Now Karlsson is limping into UFA and I wouldn't be surprised if that slows down his market come July 1st. Hell it seems like Sharks fans themselves want no part of him longterm.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
It's crazy the type of injuries players play through and sometimes it's more noticeable than others. Doughty played with a separated shoulder in 2012 and 2014.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
He can’t play D. Makes boneheaded passes in his own zone and just floats back half the time. You get the puck in your own zone you north south it unless a line change is going on with how aggressive Vegas forechecks. No he has to thread a needle when it doesn’t need threading. Very bad positioning as well I have noticed in his own zone. He has made Burns look like Pronger which is a huge problem.

Pretty sure he has a lower body injury as well which compounds the issue.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i mean, he's obviously still not healthy. Still, want no part of him for NYR July 1st. He's had injury problems pretty chronically for the past 5 or so seasons. Hes about to hit 30 and hes gonna want a long, expensive contract.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
If you put any dman in the NHL out there 30 minutes a game playing Deboer's "system" in front of Jones he'd look bad too. He hasn't been great but he's not nearly as bad as these stats suggest.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Yeah the guy who missed essentially 2 months with nothing but light skating is definitely just shit at defense and totally not still hurt, out of shape, and being asked to play 30 minutes a night after 1 warm up game.

He looked solid in game 1 (adrenaline of the first playoff game) and has been shit since

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad