Erik Karlsson has been on the ice for 11/13 goals against so far this series.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Groin is a different beast. You can wrap an ankle/foot and battle through, while a groin even the slightest awkward movement you get a shooting pain and skating has lots of those movements... it really f's up your whole stride and I can only imagine skating backwards would be tough as heck.

Having pulled my groin once back when I exercised regularly. I can attest just how incredibly painful it can be. You straight up can barely move in some cases. Least I didn't have to do anything strenuous. Karlsson has to play hockey at an elite level. I can only imagine how that feels...

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Let's be honest - he's at least aware of the fact that if he gets more severely hurt (say, by blocking a slap shot) that he's going to miss out on millions on his final big contract in the NHL.

Not what hockey fans or his teammates probably want to hear, but it's gotta be the reality of the situation.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Let's be honest - he's at least aware of the fact that if he gets more severely hurt (say, by blocking a slap shot) that he's going to miss out on millions on his final big contract in the NHL.

Not what hockey fans or his teammates probably want to hear, but it's gotta be the reality of the situation.
As the series progresses the more I agree with this sentiment

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
As the series progresses the more I agree with this sentiment
And I'm not slighting the guy for thinking this way.

He's gotta provide for his family after all.

Does make you wonder though if it would have been better for both camps to have an extension in place before the playoffs started - though I haven't been following on whether the Sharks and/or EK want that at this time.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
If he's injured that bad, he shouldn't be playing. He's killing the team. Getting walked multiple times a game, he's a turnover machine (with about 4 nice plays a game albeit) and he's eating ice time for other guys that could be helping the team. He had an effective game one and has been a complete liability since. Dell at least was able to bail him out on a few of his huge mistakes, but it's not even that he's slow to plays, he's not moving to plays. Leaving guys wide open, not actively using his stick effectively, etc. Basic defensive IQ things.

If you replaced Jones and Eriksson, this series would look drastically different.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Karlsson being horrid in his own end is hardly a revelation. I have considered him a very talented winger who happens to line up further back on faceoffs since he started, and it was a travesty that a guy so inept defensively was gifted a Norris trophy purely for his offensive numbers.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Karlsson being horrid in his own end is hardly a revelation. I have considered him a very talented winger who happens to line up further back on faceoffs since he started, and it was a travesty that a guy so inept defensively was gifted a Norris trophy purely for his offensive numbers.
ZZZZZZ

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
People saying he is injured but everyone is injured this time of year. It's not an excuse if the Sharks are out in the first round, and especially not if all they got out of the Karlsson deal was like 3/4's of a season and a few playoff games.

Not all injuries are the same. While I theorize that Karlsson also looks rather unmotivated (which doesn't seem out of line for a very emotion driven hockey player) it also seems that he still has a pretty significant injury holding back his skating ability.

No it isn't an excuse for San Jose's failure, but it's part of the calculus. SJ's goalies have been poor but Karlsson has also allowed a great many high quality chances get generated because he couldn't mark his man.

What Burns' excuse is...well...he's just not very good defensively. As incredible as Theodore's goal looked, if Burns had played that tighter, Shea doesn't even make it to the net.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Keep hyping up these "defensemen" that picked the wrong position as a kid. Hedman, PK, Burns, and EK... 0 Cups. Defense wins Championships. Not 4 forwards.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Hot take from 2015 right here.

Reactions: topshelf15

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Keep hyping up these "defensemen" that picked the wrong position as a kid. Hedman, PK, Burns, and EK... 0 Cups. Defense wins Championships. Not 4 forwards.

cut.jpg

Reactions: topshelf15

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Then you post a picture from the 80's LOL
Since that offense first defenseman won a bunch of cups.

I dont think its as simple as "you can't win with player type x" YOu don't win a cup with one player period, no matter how good he is. You have to build around the strengths of your best players, and offset them with what they lack.

Reactions: CrypTic

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Since that offense first defenseman won a bunch of cups.

I dont think its as simple as "you can't win with player type x" YOu don't win a cup with one player period, no matter how good he is. You have to build around the strengths of your best players, and offset them with what they lack.

Here's the problem with that style of now. 1) They make a ridiculous amount of money for their fluffed regular season stats. They never produce like in that playoffs. 2) They are usually injured because of their style of play. 3) Their a liability in tighter scoring games. It's not as open/high scoring as it was in the 80's.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Here's the problem with that style of now. 1) They make a ridiculous amount of money for their fluffed regular season stats. They never produce like in that playoffs. 2) They are usually injured because of their style of play. 3) Their a liability in tighter scoring games. It's not as open/high scoring as it was in the 80's.

It seems like you have a vendetta against offensive defensemen, because now you are just stating things that are blatantly false.

Burns scored 24 points in 24 playoff games in 2016 and Karlsson scored 18 points in 19 playoff games in 2017. Burns hasn’t missed a game due to injury in 5 seasons. Karlsson is injury prone but I don’t see how you can prove that has anything to do with his style of play.

It’s also hilarious how you bring up their salaries. Burns is making $8M on a UFA contract and he just scored 83 points. He signed his contract in the middle of his contract year where he scored 76 points and he had 75 the year before. He is making the same amount as forwards like Logan Couture and Ryan Johansen and he out-scores them in every season lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad