Erik Karlsson does it again

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
True they all add up. But it's not like anyone had a crystal ball, Karlsson up until than was quite durable aside from freak injuries like the Cooke incident and blocking a shot. It could have gone either way.

But I do think that there is a shift in how the game is played now and how 30+ contracts should be handled. In previous era's aging stars had a better chance to remain dominant as their level of skill would insure it despite their bodies deteriorating. In the modern era it is much harder when the game gets faster and more skilled every year.

I certainly did have a crystal ball and you can look up my posting history to see it. I warned that the Sharks should not sign him long term and that any long term deal would be disastrous especially in light of all the bad contracts the Sharks already in tow.

The Sharks are now at least 5-7 years away from being competitive.

Almost all of their biggest contracts are terrible and Jones gives them their earliest reprieve because his ends the soonest. The only other hope relief is injury retirement.

The prospect pool is terribly weak.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I certainly did have a crystal ball and you can look up my posting history to see it. I warned that the Sharks should not sign him long term and that any long term deal would be disastrous especially in light of all the bad contracts the Sharks already in tow.

The Sharks are now at least 5-7 years away from being competitive.

Almost all of their biggest contracts are terrible and Jones gives them their earliest reprieve because his ends the soonest. The only other hope relief is injury retirement.

The prospect pool is terribly weak.

SJ is the worst managed team in the NHL.

Used to be Ottawa.

Karl is all out of luck.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Apparently he's injured again and will miss at least the next 2 games. He's toast, sadly. I suspect he'll 'LTIRetire' within the next year or two, if not sooner.

The talks about him not even being that great in his prime, or being poor defensively are dumb. He wasn't great defensively but it didn't matter. His skating and offensive ability totally let him control the pace and possession of the game at 5on5, like very few defensemen have. He wasn't just some point producing offensive dman like a Barrie, Shattenkirk etc.

It's pretty dumb to have to even say that, but guess not so much.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
What do the Sharks even do at this point
Literally nothing. I guess the time to toil at the bottom of the league had to come some time, just didn't think this would be how it happened. Next 7-10 years are going to be pretty bad unless Doug Wilson can pull off some miracle moves (something I honestly think he can do). He catches way too much unnecessary flak overall but including a NMC in the Karlsson contract is going to handcuff the club for years.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
SJ is the worst managed team in the NHL.

Used to be Ottawa.

Karl is all out of luck.

It's amazing how one bad signing can take you from being considered one of the best managed teams in the NHL, to the worst managed team in the NHL.

If the Sharks don't re-sign Karlsson they are in a completely different world. 12 mil in extra cap space and a 2020 lottery pick makes this Sharks team very interesting in the next few years.

Unfortunately DW thought Karlsson would be his next Jumbo, and here we are.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's amazing how one bad signing can take you from being considered one of the best managed teams in the NHL, to the worst managed team in the NHL.

If the Sharks don't re-sign Karlsson they are in a completely different world. 12 mil in extra cap space and a 2020 lottery pick makes this Sharks team very interesting in the next few years.

Preface, I am a Kings fan, but You guys will be fine. Before this last season you missed the playoffs like what 1 time in like what 15 years? Cores get old . Rebuilds are inevitable. It's all part of the game.

Reactions: exporta

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
People forget that in the year Karlsson signed his Sharks contract he went on the most dominant run any Shark has ever had aside from Thornton. And in that same year he went PPG in the playoffs and likely would have won the cup had injuries not taken their toll on the entire team.

If McDavid gets injured this year and is never the same again it wouldn't mean that the contract was bad when he signed it. Injuries can happen to anyone.

Thornton doesn't even have a top-5 dominant run in Sharks franchise playoff history and Karlsson sure as hell doesn't either lmao

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Thornton doesn't even have a top-5 dominant run in Sharks franchise playoff history and Karlsson sure as hell doesn't either lmao

I didn't mean playoff run. I meant his 25 points in 15 games and the +18(?) reg season run before he got injured. Though I'm not well versed in Sharks lore I'm pretty sure Karlsson set the record for them for points in consecutive games plus all the video game advanced stats he had during that run. I'm think only Thornton would have topped those numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I like the Sharks. Whenever you thought they would need a major reset or rebuild, they always found a way to come back for decades. Terrible contract choices a d bad trade mixed in there seems to have finally sunk them. I can’t see them getting out of this anytime soon.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The trade in itself was not a bad trade at the time. He was absolutely elite and looked almost poised to be near generational for an offensive d-man. Sharks GM should have really looked at his existing roster first though, it was the wrong move to make for them but might've been right for a different team. And then the contract offered afterwards was unbelievably stupid. It's obvious he will never live up to it the moment the ink dried. Is there anyone who would take Karlsson today over Stutzle, Norris and a couple more second rounders?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I didn't mean playoff run. I meant his 25 points in 15 games and the +18(?) reg season run before he got injured. Though I'm not well versed in Sharks lore I'm pretty sure Karlsson set the record for them for points in consecutive games plus all the video game advanced stats he had during that run. I'm think only Thornton would have topped those numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure, that's fair. He was incredible in those games, and I can't think of 5 players off the top of my head who had a better stretch of 15 games or so, although I've only been closely following for a little over a decade.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
What’s mind boggling is the rumour that Johnson stated on tsn? The other day. If the rumours are true and Karlsons ankle cannot physically move the way it could pre surgery shouldn’t the sharks have picked up on this? I mean shouldn’t Karlsson have to complete a physical? Did they not think to consult the medical records

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What’s mind boggling is the rumour that Johnson stated on tsn? The other day. If the rumours are true and Karlsons ankle cannot physically move the way it could pre surgery shouldn’t the sharks have picked up on this? I mean shouldn’t Karlsson have to complete a physical? Did they not think to consult the medical records

I don't doubt it. Apperently part of his ankle bone was replaced with a cadavers.

As someone who's had an ankle/feet injury they are tough to deal with. It's the foundational basis for your posture/balance and if there's something wrong there your entire body seems to try and compensate the wrong way. Hips, glutes, core, back, neck they all seem to get affected.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad