Erik Karlsson does it again

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Dude you pumped him up and talked about him being dominant. He wouldnt have dominated the AHL.
Yes before be was injured that year he was dominant. After he came back from injury in the playoffs he wasn't as good.

Sure probably not good enough to dominate in the AHL but good enough to go ppg in the NHL playoffs lol.

I'm not even defending his playoffs btw. Compared to his 2017 effort he wasn't the same player / couldn't be.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I watched an EK interview a while back.

He said something along the lines of

- "physically i feel great, better than what i expected, i feel like im able to do the things what i want to do out on the ice"
- "everybody are so fast these days it's tough to beat guys one on one and make those highlight reel plays"
- "if i had the answer to why im not making those plays i'd fix it, i don't know"
- "maybe im relying on my teammates too much, maybe i should try to do more myself"

Meanwhile Boughner:

- "i don't know if that's it, i think less is more with EK"

Sounds to me like this is a player who used to be able to dominate and now that he can't he doesn't know how to handle it to be effective. And i don't know if he's even on the same page with his coach when they're literally saying the opposite how he can do better.

I don't think it's a lack of 'care'. I think it's just a confidence thing and a new situation for EK. Similar to Subban he used to be able to outweigh the bad with the good, now that he can't it can easily be just the bad.

I'd imagine it's not easy to adapt, and very frustrating too because as a proud athlete and competitor you still feel like you can do it, changing your game because you're not good anymore is not something guys like them want to accept.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

- "physically i feel great, better than what i expected, i feel like im able to do the things what i want to do out on the ice"
- "everybody are so fast these days it's tough to beat guys one on one and make those highlight reel plays"
- "if i had the answer to why im not making those plays i'd fix it, i don't know"
- "maybe im relying on my teammates too much, maybe i should try to do more myself"

Meanwhile Boughner:

Sounds to me like this is a player who used to be able to dominate and now that he can't he doesn't know how to handle it to be effective. And i don't know if he's even on the same page with his coach when they're literally saying the opposite how he can do better.

I don't think it's a lack of 'care'. I think it's just a confidence thing and a new situation for EK. Similar to Subban he used to be able to outweigh the bad with the good, now that he can't it can easily be just the bad.

I'd imagine it's not easy to adapt, and very frustrating too because as a proud athlete and competitor you still feel like you can do it, changing your game because you're not good anymore is not something guys like them want to accept.

Sound--but tough--advice for aging superstars.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Meanwhile Boughner:

Sure but find me an NHL coach who would say "I want my players to really complicate their game and try to deke all the time."

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Most knew this for years, a terrific offensive dman. An absolutely terrible dman on his side of centre. It has been like this for his entire career, people made excuses for his Dzone play because he could get 60-70 pts.
All of this for 11M per year.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Most knew this for years, a terrific offensive dman. An absolutely terrible dman on his side of centre. It has been like this for his entire career, people made excuses for his Dzone play because he could get 60-70 pts.

Predictable dumb take.The better his defense was the more dominant he was offensively.

People seem to think that Karlssons play is special because of what he did in the offensive zone. I don't think that was ever the case. What made him special was his ability to turn plays in his own zone and neutral zone into opportunities and possession for his team.

Take for example his dominance at ES vs on the PP. You'd think that with the way people describe him he would be the best on the powerplay vs above average at ES. That was never the case, he was always average for an elite player on the PP but simply otherworldly even strength.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Predictable dumb take.The better his defense was the more dominant he was offensively.

People seem to think that Karlssons play is special because of what he did in the offensive zone. I don't think that was ever the case. What made him special was his ability to turn plays in his own zone and neutral zone into opportunities and possession for his team.

Take for example his dominance at ES vs on the PP. You'd think that with the way people describe him he would be the best on the powerplay vs above average at ES. That was never the case, he was always average for an elite player on the PP but simply otherworldly even strength.
No dumb take........simply put, he is trash on his side of centre....
Deal with it.............he always has been.
Saw him for years with the sens, and watched alot of his games, just awful. He was -6 one night vs the Habs, it was comical, how bad he was. He does nothing on his side of centre most nights, but give coaches fits.
Cheers!!

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Brutal, horrible take.

You're talking about the defender who lead the Olympics in scoring and wasnt on the ice for a single goal against the entire tourney.

The defender who rallied his team alongside Hammond and had 40 points in last 30 games +22 to win the Vezina in 2014-2015; to overcome the greatest point deficit to make playoffs in NHL history.

The defender who put up one of the best performances in recent playoff history where he lead his team in points 18 in 19 games and was +13... his own DEFENSIVE DEFENDER partner was only a +5.

The defender who lead the league in takeaways by defender many seasons(1st in the league during his time in Ottawa)... then everyone said he doesn't block shots... then was 2nd in the league in blocked shots a couple years later. Your post is trash because it's completely incorrect and you should be upset with it.

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
People still don't get with skating defensemen like Karlsson that elite offense and puck carrying ability IS good defense. He most definitely was very good in his own zone earlier in his career. Why? Because he was almost never there!

The problem is he's lost that elite skating ability. According to Sharks fans, seemingly his puck handling as well.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Brutal, horrible take.

You're talking about the defender who lead the Olympics in scoring and wasnt on the ice for a single goal against the entire tourney.

The defender who rallied his team alongside Hammond and had 40 points in last 30 games +22 to win the Vezina in 2014-2015; to overcome the greatest point deficit to make playoffs in NHL history.

The defender who put up one of the best performances in recent playoff history where he lead his team in points 18 in 19 games and was +13... his own DEFENSIVE DEFENDER partner was only a +5.

The defender who lead the league in takeaways by defender many seasons(1st in the league during his time in Ottawa)... then everyone said he doesn't block shots... then was 2nd in the league in blocked shots a couple years later. Your post is trash because it's completely incorrect and you should be upset with it.
Didn't say he couldn't have good moments............he has been a MINUS player during his career......all flash on the wrong side of centre....
We will agree to disagree....he is a liability on MOST nights, in his own end.
And let's not even talk about the most horrendous contract in the league.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This isn't really the clip that proves he's lost his game. I mean its a miss puck handle, which can happen to anyone; and really not much he could have done after that. But if this mishandle happens all the time these days, that IS a problem. Like someone said earlier, a dman who never mishandles the puck and can skate his way out of any trouble doesn't need to play much defense. That is elite defense.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Oops Karl did it again
He played with the Sharks’ heart and lost his game
Oh baby baby
Oops you thought he was elite
That he was sent from above
He’s not that talented

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
He's obviously not playing to his standards but this thread is a joke.

It's a fluke puck mishandle, happens to anyone - he just has a magnifying glass on him because he's so good.

Karlsson has always been irrationally hated on by fans who were jealous that their 1D was inferior to him - looking at Kings fans

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
He's obviously not playing to his standards but this thread is a joke.

It's a fluke puck mishandle, happens to anyone - he just has a magnifying glass on him because he's so good.

Karlsson has always been irrationally hated on by fans who were jealous that their 1D was inferior to him - looking at Kings fans

He was the best in the NHL for a time. The question is how far he’s fallen.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
He was the best in the NHL for a time. The question is how fall he’s fallen.

This thread is using a simple mistake that happens dozens of times in a game to correlate with Karlsson being bad defensively lol
Karlsson is evidently not playing to his standards, but he's not bad.
In fact, most Sharks fans will say he's their best D - the team needs restructuring; Karlsson's less-than ideal start isn't their primary concern.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Didn't say he couldn't have good moments............he has been a MINUS player during his career......all flash on the wrong side of centre....
We will agree to disagree....he is a liability on MOST nights, in his own end.
And let's not even talk about the most horrendous contract in the league.

You went from saying he's trash all the time to a liability most nights. Someone throws facts and stats at you and you move your goalposts, typical.

"Didn't say he couldn't have good moments" AKA 40 games in a row defensively, lmfao. We aint going to agree to disagree, I am just not going to argue with a person who spews nothing but baseless and senseless opinions instead of backing it with facts. You resort to saying he's a minus player during his career, but you neglect to mention he's played on a bottom feeder most of those years, and the years he didn't he was a plus player. Lmao.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
He wasn't terrible at all. Just average.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Jarkko Ruutu told in his book that when EK came to Ottawa and the NHL he wasn't really interested in training and practicing. He would just rely on his raw talent. He also wouldn't really listen to coaches about the x's and o's for the same reason.

In case of EK just relying on his talent worked out really well when he was younger, but the older he got the more difficult it is to just rely on talent alone. It's not his fault that a team gave him an awful contract though.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
People still don't get with skating defensemen like Karlsson that elite offense and puck carrying ability IS good defense. He most definitely was very good in his own zone earlier in his career. Why? Because he was almost never there!

The problem is he's lost that elite skating ability. According to Sharks fans, seemingly his puck handling as well.

This. Some people assume defenders should be physical shot blockers muscling guys outta the zone, and because that memory of Karlsson doesn’t exist they just fill in the gaps with whatever gaffes they can recall. In reality he was so damned good he rarely got put into scramble situations in the first place, he’d usually have the play shut down and the puck heading back up ice before he even had to consider how to clear out the middle. But hot takes are more fun and the current Karlsson looks bad, so let’s rewrite reality.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
This thread is using a simple mistake that happens dozens of times in a game to correlate with Karlsson being bad defensively lol
Karlsson is evidently not playing to his standards, but he's not bad.
In fact, most Sharks fans will say he's their best D - the team needs restructuring; Karlsson's less-than ideal start isn't their primary concern.

Lmao what? What Sharks fan told you that? It’s either Ferraro or Burns who are our best D.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Are there any cases of a superstar who plummeted into mediocrity for several seasons, and then managed to climb back to the top?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You went from saying he's trash all the time to a liability most nights. Someone throws facts and stats at you and you move your goalposts, typical.

"Didn't say he couldn't have good moments" AKA 40 games in a row defensively, lmfao. We aint going to agree to disagree, I am just not going to argue with a person who spews nothing but baseless and senseless opinions instead of backing it with facts. You resort to saying he's a minus player during his career, but you neglect to mention he's played on a bottom feeder most of those years, and the years he didn't he was a plus player. Lmao.
LOL
Bottomfeeder..............now who's moving goalposts!!
Lots of players can have plus careers playing on bad teams!! lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad