Erik Karlsson does it again

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I thought this would be the year he would finally look like prime Karlsson again.

But every game I watch he ranges from average to mediocre. I understand injuries etc. etc., but honestly I think the dude just doesn't give a shit. He has his big contract, i'm sure he'd look a lot better if the Sharks were actually a good team, but I don't think he cares enough to help dig them out of the hole they're in.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I thought this would be the year he would finally look like prime Karlsson again.

But every game I watch he ranges from average to mediocre. I understand injuries etc. etc., but honestly I think the dude just doesn't give a shit. He has his big contract, i'm sure he'd look a lot better if the Sharks were actually a good team, but I don't think he cares enough to help dig them out of the hole they're in.

Definitely. In general I hate the argument that once a guy gets paid he stops trying- I think most players have professional pride and it’s more age that gets them- but with Karlsson I think he realizes SJ is sunk, his contract is part of that- and now he just has to show up. If they had a decent goalie and young potential maybe he’d care, but as is- he seems as nonchalant about sucking as is possible.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Definitely. In general I hate the argument that once a guy gets paid he stops trying- I think most players have professional pride and it’s more age that gets them- but with Karlsson I think he realizes SJ is sunk, his contract is part of that- and now he just has to show up. If they had a decent goalie and young potential maybe he’d care, but as is- he seems as nonchalant about sucking as is possible.

That's nice to see at the start of a super long giant contract haha.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I know it's possible he's got family stuff weighing down on him. However Karlsson was never known to be good at defense so I don't think that's the case. He was making a bunch of turnovers and errors in the D zone as a Sen.

Reactions: BillPrep and Voight

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I know it's possible he's got family stuff weighing down on him. However Karlsson was never known to be good at defense so I don't think that's the case. He was making a bunch of turnovers and errors in the D zone as a Sen.

Sure when you're touching the puck so much times in the game and the team is literally relying on you for everything you're gonna turn it over sometimes.

But when he was a Senator there's wasn't ever a time you didn't want the puck on his stick.

Someone mentioned that Doughty is struggling because he's trying to do too much on bad teams, Karlsson did too much and thrived, and carried bad teams to winning records. It's dishonest to say Karlsson was always like this.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Like the poster said above you, a family tragedy especially the one he faced can take serious toll on someone
I’m not insensitive to his family loss but 92 million buys a lot of counseling. If that’s what truly is ailing him he should take time off. I am CERTAIN the Sharks would happily give him the time. I just don’t think that’s it. The writing was on the wall long before his personal issues.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I think 40% of it is mental but after that lower body injury, he’s lost at least one step if not 2 speed wise and he’s always been a player who’s whole game revolves around that.

After that, his tragedy and the subsequent media storm, allegations and whatever happened behind the scenes probably didn’t help.

fastforward to today where he’s not the player he once was and probably knows it, hurting his confidence and swagger which was always sky high before this. Not just that but he plays on a horrible team where he’s no longer a star or even really in the spotlight.

i feel for him. There was a brief period where he was the best and if he still held that form, he’d be generational.

his speed helped cover a lot of his mistakes as well. He’s became even softer possibly due to fear of being injured. It’s sad man.. biggest drop I’ve seen in anyone that I can remember.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Sure when you're touching the puck so much times in the game and the team is literally relying on you for everything you're gonna turn it over sometimes.

But when he was a Senator there's wasn't ever a time you didn't want the puck on his stick.

Someone mentioned that Doughty is struggling because he's trying to do too much on bad teams, Karlsson did too much and thrived, and carried bad teams to winning records. It's dishonest to say Karlsson was always like this.
Doughty had 3 assists tonight. He’s not struggling as much as some would have you believe.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
You'd think for $92,000,000 he wouldn't be completely chickenshit about taking a hit to make a play. Worst contract in the league.
Sharks have so many big long term contract to old guys when you look at them. Pretty brutal looking.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Doughty had 3 assists tonight. He’s not struggling as much as some would have you believe.

Well I mean in general in the last 3 years, since his team became bad. Though I've only watched 2 Kings game this year, he does look better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad