Erik Karlsson does it again

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I don't doubt it. Apperently part of his ankle bone was replaced with a cadavers.

As someone who's had an ankle/feet injury they are tough to deal with. It's the foundational basis for your posture/balance and if there's something wrong there your entire body seems to try and compensate the wrong way. Hips, glutes, core, back, neck they all seem to get affected.

I had ankle surgery (almost fully torn tendon) when I was about 18-19.

After surgery and what was supposed to be a full recovery, I lost a big chunk of my ability to accelerate, reach full speed and mostly, to make sharp turns/pivot.

This is on a soccer pitch, not an ice rink, but the same consequences should apply.

I lost a full second in the 100 metre dashes that we always ran in my clubs in pre season.

My achilles never became the same, despite no surgery was ever made on it. It was not the problem when I sustained my ankle injury - but somehow became shorter/more stiff after it, which even more hindered my performances.

Having said this:I don't think Karl's injuries is the only answer, he seems to have lost the will and motivation.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't doubt it. Apperently part of his ankle bone was replaced with a cadavers.

As someone who's had an ankle/feet injury they are tough to deal with. It's the foundational basis for your posture/balance and if there's something wrong there your entire body seems to try and compensate the wrong way. Hips, glutes, core, back, neck they all seem to get affected.

I simply had an ankle fracture when i was a teen--compound, so it was gnarly, but one that healed 'right' nonetheless--and I was a total mess for a couple of years with the compensating injuries.

And I definitely wasn't playing at a pro trajectory, never mind as one of the best in the world :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's amazing how one bad signing can take you from being considered one of the best managed teams in the NHL, to the worst managed team in the NHL.

If the Sharks don't re-sign Karlsson they are in a completely different world. 12 mil in extra cap space and a 2020 lottery pick makes this Sharks team very interesting in the next few years.

Unfortunately DW thought Karlsson would be his next Jumbo, and here we are.

Look at their Capfriendly page.

San Jose Sharks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's more than one bad signing. Way more.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
Guy was out there last night having a great time, laughing it up with his buddy Kane. I think he thinks he's still really good, did not look good on the gwg that's for sure.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Guy was out there last night having a great time, laughing it up with his buddy Kane. I think he thinks he's still really good, did not look good on the gwg that's for sure.

He’s 30, set for life and living in Cali. Doesn’t give a shit anymore . Some guys get like that

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
4pts in last 5 games +5 . Small stretch but would be hilarious if he plays the rest of the season like this and you read through the posts on this board saying he isn’t a nhl player anymore

Reactions: Stubu

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
4pts in last 5 games +5 . Small stretch but would be hilarious if he plays the rest of the season like this and you read through the posts on this board saying he isn’t a nhl player anymore

If he showed up the earlier the Sharks would've had a chance to compete. At this point they're aiming to be stuck in purgatory. At their age and with the contracts they have placing in that 17th-22nd spot overall is the worst position for them.

Reactions: Beville

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
The rumors of Erik Karlsson’s demise have been greatly exaggerated... once again, he’s the best player on the Sharks.

Ever since he came back from his injury, he’s been fantastic.

I agree he is still elite, and he have proven it since the return of his injury, but the guy really need to start producing earlier, you can't start producing mid-season. Sadly I still think he'll struggle though, probably catch another injury. Having foot disability, usually leads to other injuries because you are forced to move your legs unnaturally.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If he showed up the earlier the Sharks would've had a chance to compete. At this point they're aiming to be stuck in purgatory. At their age and with the contracts they have placing in that 17th-22nd spot overall is the worst position for them.

Not likely. Last five games still entail a 2-3 record. That's not competing for anything but a higher lottery pick.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The rumors of Erik Karlsson’s demise have been greatly exaggerated... once again, he’s the best player on the Sharks.

Nice, really hope he can become elite again

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's obviously not the player he once was, but he's a notoriously slow starter.

It's an annual tradition for this thread to pop up and people claiming he's finished, and then they get to watch him go on to put up big numbers the rest of the year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah, yeah, the Sharks are bad. Please tell me something I don’t know. My point is that Erik Karlsson is a good hockey player and I think you know that.

I'm sure some teams out there would give him a shot at their one of their slots on D. :sarcasm:

Not at his price point though...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Talk about damning with faint praise...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, yeah, the Sharks are bad. Please tell me something I don’t know. My point is that Erik Karlsson is a good hockey player and I think you know that.
I wouldn’t worry too much about that poster. He’s well seasoned at ignoring/diminishing Karlsson’s abilities and contributions.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I thought this would be the year he would finally look like prime Karlsson again.

But every game I watch he ranges from average to mediocre. I understand injuries etc. etc., but honestly I think the dude just doesn't give a shit. He has his big contract, i'm sure he'd look a lot better if the Sharks were actually a good team, but I don't think he cares enough to help dig them out of the hole they're in.
I agree. It is unfortunate, he looks like he needs a fresh start on another team, but no other team is going to give him a chance to start over with his performance when given the salary he has, and I don't see San Jose eating any salary to have him play elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->