Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Boucher's system in Tbay at least was not a play it safe defensive system. He brought a D into the neutral zone to force the turnover, which if beat resulted in a single man back to defend. He overloaded the puck carrier in the dzone which meant somebody was left open. He wanted players to be creative and make plays at the blue line entering the zone with control, rather than dump and chase,

We didn't hire Suter or Hitchcock, for all the focus on Boucher playing the trap, he was actually an offense oriented coach.

I think Karlsson's production may very well dip a bit this year, but not because he's playing a more defensive game, but because hopefully, the team isn't getting lit up early every game and have to open up offensively to catch up. Forwards won't be as deep in the OZ seemingly all the time resulting in the D getting hung out to dry.

That's one factor why Karlsson played this much last year. How many time have we been scored on first ? 55 times? something around that i think. It was ridiculous.

Now, i see a lot of people saying the production of certain player might drop because they will focus more on defence. But i think it's the other way around. If the Sens focus a little more on Defence and are able to recuperate the puck more easily, or broke the play faster in their favor, it will result in more control of the puck and than more offensive opportunity.

Last year, we were scoring a lot of goal but it was because we had a high shot %.
The shot % might drop this year, but if we have the puck more it would probably be around the same.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This thread proves that if you wait long enough, and don't complain excessively, neutrals come around eventually:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2115675

There's nothing better than having non-Senators fans (and non-Swedes) debating in favour of the merits of Karlsson as the NHL's #1 defenceman.

I'm not seeing it. There's 1-2 people saying they'd put Karlsson at #1. The rest are Sens fans or Swedes. Some people are trying to justify Keith-Doughty as #1/2 and the rest are debating the entire list as opposed to who is #1.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not seeing it. There's 1-2 people saying they'd put Karlsson at #1. The rest are Sens fans or Swedes. Some people are trying to justify Keith-Doughty as #1/2 and the rest are debating the entire list as opposed to who is #1.

Really?

I'm seeing several references to him improving his defence and arguing that his offensive advantage greatly outweighs any perceived defensive one.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
There's nothing better than having non-Senators fans (and non-Swedes) debating in favour of the merits of Karlsson as the NHL's #1 defenceman.
noticed that too, especially when they speak of his strength on defense. It's weird that i might end up being more critical of Karlsson than neutral fans.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Personally I'd rather see Karlsson pushing the envelop offensively , continuing to drive offense from this team, and playing Defense at similar levels than to try to change what comes most naturally to him by trying to play it safer and focus on defensive positioning. I am not advocating more risky cross ice passes in his own end but continuing to aggressively trying to drive the play... To me that is Erik Karlsson.. and I want that to the max. :)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson is generational offensively.

If the team gets better so does he, lol.

Yes he got bunch load of points cause he took more risks to provide offense, but some of our incompetent players have also missed a bunch load of more points cause they couldn't finish EK's plays. So the less risks + more competent/better players will balance off anyway.

EK's totals won't drop. At all. If anything they'll improve and I expect them to improve no doubt(with a better supportcast that is).

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Watched the Swedish team practise yesterday. Karlsson looks a bit lighter than he did at the start of last season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yes he got bunch load of points cause he took more risks to provide offense, but some of our incompetent players have also missed a bunch load of more points cause they couldn't finish EK's plays. So the less risks + more competent/better players will balance off anyway.

EK's totals won't drop. At all. If anything they'll improve and I expect them to improve no doubt(with a better supportcast that is).

That's something I don't agree with.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Watched the Swedish team practise yesterday. Karlsson looks a bit lighter than he did at the start of last season.

Interesting. Last season he worked on getting stronger and bulking up, didn't he? He looked a smidge slower in the early season than I remembered him being the year before. I can't remember if he had concerns about keeping weight on during the NHL season. But a lighter & faster Karlsson was more effective, IIRC.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
IDK if he'll improve on his totals, but I expect 75+ points if he's healthy all year.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm just not sure how you improve from a Bobby Orr type season offensively... he lead the league in assists.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Did you see Hjalmarsson pulling a Datsyukian move on Karlsson, making him fall flat on his ass, haha...

The players in the Swedish national team also seem to love to single Karlsson out, giving him a hard time. Last night almost the whole team kept his stick away from him until he got visibly pissed about it.

No special treatment there! :)

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Did you see Hjalmarsson pulling a Datsyukian move on Karlsson, making him fall flat on his ass, haha...

The players in the Swedish national team also seem to love to single Karlsson out, giving him a hard time. Last night almost the whole team kept his stick away from him until he got visibly pissed about it.

No special treatment there! :)

They just jelly.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

So if the Senators are ahead late in games, it's the other team that has to open up and take risks. Karlsson will eat that up with his speed, vision, passing and takeaway skills. He's likely to score more, not less.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's easier to score when you are up than when you are down. Not to mention the bonus of actually having Turris in the lineup and healthy.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So if the Senators are ahead late in games, it's the other team that has to open up and take risks. Karlsson will eat that up with his speed, vision, passing and takeaway skills. He's likely to score more, not less.

That's why he is crazy good in 3 on 3 OT. The inherent need to take risks plays to his ability to strip pucks and move it back up ice. He is also able to recover from a gaffe quicker than most (see: all) players in the league.

I haven't seen him on the ice with Sweden yet, but I'm excited to watch him.

For me I still want Canada to win, but I'm looking most forward to seeing EK. And in all honestly, if it comes down to Sweden vs Canada for gold, I might just cheer for Sweden to see Karlsson get the trophy instead of a team coached by a Leaf and backstopped by a Hab.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Personally I'd rather see Karlsson pushing the envelop offensively , continuing to drive offense from this team, and playing Defense at similar levels than to try to change what comes most naturally to him by trying to play it safer and focus on defensive positioning. I am not advocating more risky cross ice passes in his own end but continuing to aggressively trying to drive the play... To me that is Erik Karlsson.. and I want that to the max. :)

Me too. Better to focus on using his elite strengths than to try to make him focus on his good defensive skills, as that would be suboptimal IMO.

I have a preferred approach to hockey, which consists of "5 on attack" and "5 on defense" strategy which places both offensive and defensive requirements on both the defensemen and forwards. I think mobile puck-moving Defensemen can add immensely to the offense in 5on5 situations. Having Karlsson on defense, to me, is a significant asset and there is no better Defenseman in the NHL that I would rather have on my team. Reminds me of Paul Coffey, Phil Housely and Bobby Orr in their prime!

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Missed Sweden - Finland tonight, but reading comments, Karlsson didn't look too good.

Brutal give-away on one of the goals.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Missed Sweden - Finland tonight, but reading comments, Karlsson didn't look too good.

Brutal give-away on one of the goals.

I watched over the first half of the game. I thought he did alright. He was making things happen. You'd have to be looking hard to find fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad