Erik Karlsson Discussion Thread Part II - NORRIS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
82 points is great, but he was really bad defensively for at least 40 of the games this season.

Horrendous in about 15-20.

I have no qualms about him not winning, but Doughty shouldn't have either.

FantasyRef

Jun 8, 2016
How is it possible that doughty gets that many first picks. Everywhere you looked, Karlsson was predicted to take it.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Norris voting shows why Karlsson should now focus on winning the Hart, the Art Ross, and the Conn Smythe to go along with Lord Stanley's Cup.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Writers are morons is the explanation.

These are the same dummies who spend the whole year whinging about scoring in the NHL and how they need to do this and how they need to do that to help increase scoring. And here comes a guy who puts up numbers for a defensemen that are unheard of these days and they give almost 100 first place votes to a guy with a Selke winner and Vezina finalist on his team. You can't even make this **** up.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Stamkos setting a benchmark for EK? Or too unrealistically low of a cap considering we're in Canada vs Florida taxes?

Assuming the Cap doesn't skyrocket, 72mil/8 years?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Stamkos setting a benchmark for EK? Or too unrealistically low of a cap considering we're in Canada vs Florida taxes?

It look like Stamkos took a discount or that he realise he should not have above 10M.

Still, sometime i'm wondering if those player want to win a cup or if they want the money only. I understand that the best should win more than the other, but when you have millionS of $. Is it that worthy to win 10-11M instead of going for 8 lets say?.

The 2 millions could be huge in term of asset.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Karlsson surpassed Stamkos a few years ago. No longer a comparable.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Karlsson is the best defenseman in the league. Stamkos isn't even the best center let alone the best forward.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

karlsson chooses term and money, we either accept it or not. Every team in the NHL would lineup ready with at least a 7 year 12m per contract

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
How Karlssons contract negotations should go.

Dorrion: lets get negotiations started

EK's Agent: alright, Erik Karlsson really likes Ottawa, but he is the #1D in the league and he is expecting to be compensated.

Dorrion: whats your asking price?

EK's Agent: Max X 8 ?

Dorrion: Done.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
NO way EK gets less than 9 million, considering that is what Subban is making.

I think it will be 10 mil per year.

SidDuhSloth

Sep 12, 2015
Bottom line, Karlsson deserved it but Doughty got it. I'm honestly not that mad about it though. Giving Doughty his lifetime achievement award now could benefit Karlssons chance of winning in the future. Seeing how the media have now handed Doughty his coveted Norris trophy there is no longer a narrative for him being "Due". And while I think Karlsson deserved this years Norris, this wasn't his best season. Statistically speaking, this season and the first time he won the Norris were his best years. But in terms of actual play, his second Norris win was the best hockey he's ever played.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It look like Stamkos took a discount or that he realise he should not have above 10M.

Still, sometime i'm wondering if those player want to win a cup or if they want the money only. I understand that the best should win more than the other, but when you have millionS of $. Is it that worthy to win 10-11M instead of going for 8 lets say?.

The 2 millions could be huge in term of asset.

Shows how smart Yzerman is, to delay the signing. If Stamkos was all about the money, it would be better for the team to invest that money in someone else. If Stamkos is all about winning, he chooses Tampa at a reasonable price. Either way, the Lightning walk away a very strong team that is about winning first and foremost. This sets the stage for the entire organization - if you want to play for Tampa, your ego is left at the door.

Great example for young guys like Karlsson to see. Take a few dollars less on a deal to free up money to make the team stronger as a whole. Of course, you also need an owner willing to spend to the cap. Can't expect the players to be the ones taking all the discounts, while the owner plays moneyball.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Karlsson will most likely get 10+ million.

Have to take taxes into account.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
NO way EK gets less than 9 million, considering that is what Subban is making.

I think it will be 10 mil per year.

The issue EK might have is I can see the league banning mega contracts by the time he is a ufa example I could see a cap of 6 million total allowed per year with no more then 7 years.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
The issue EK might have is I can see the league banning mega contracts by the time he is a ufa example I could see a cap of 6 million total allowed per year with no more then 7 years.

The CBA won't be revisited until 2020-2021.

Also ZERO chance that happens. Even if it was earlier.

EK will definitely get 9 million plus but by then the cap will be higher anyways.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I'm not sure why you'd think this would happen. The CBA isn't up anytime soon. I'm not sure why the NHL would cap contracts at 6 million.

Escrow+Revenue sharing+Contracts being capped at 7-8 years is already there to ensure that contracts cannot harm the league's health. Some of the contracts given out a few years ago were worse than today.

With today, what we mainly saw was a trend of players in their 30s who would have gotten 3-4 years at much bigger money taking a few extra years on front loaded deals in order to lower their cap hit. GMs do this because there is no guarantee they'll even be around in 5 years when a guy like Lucic declines.

Ottawa's only issue is getting Karlsson signed. That's it. I don't think his asking price will be an issue, Karlsson is the priority, if he asks 12 that probably just means Ottawa loses an extra star who they otherwise would have kept.

Hopefully in two years time we'll see more star players creating a culture where they take a bit less money to win after looking at the ramifications of Toews' and Kane's contracts and seeing how Kopitar, Stamkos, and Hedman taking lower deals helped keep another star or two on their team so that they could win and stay in the "right" place. We're just going to have to hope that Karlsson in two years feels Ottawa is the "right" place for him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm not sure why you'd think this would happen. The CBA isn't up anytime soon. I'm not sure why the NHL would cap contracts at 6 million.

Escrow+Revenue sharing+Contracts being capped at 7-8 years is already there to ensure that contracts cannot harm the league's health. Some of the contracts given out a few years ago were worse than today.

With today, what we mainly saw was a trend of players in their 30s who would have gotten 3-4 years at much bigger money taking a few extra years on front loaded deals in order to lower their cap hit. GMs do this because there is no guarantee they'll even be around in 5 years when a guy like Lucic declines.

Ottawa's only issue is getting Karlsson signed. That's it. I don't think his asking price will be an issue, Karlsson is the priority, if he asks 12 that probably just means Ottawa loses an extra star who they otherwise would have kept.

Hopefully in two years time we'll see more star players creating a culture where they take a bit less money to win after looking at the ramifications of Toews' and Kane's contracts and seeing how Kopitar, Stamkos, and Hedman taking lower deals helped keep another star or two on their team so that they could win and stay in the "right" place. We're just going to have to hope that Karlsson in two years feels Ottawa is the "right" place for him.

that depends entirely on if spending 65M is over the budget, like this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad