Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Gudbranson is playing his worst hockey of the season at the worst possible time, with just weeks to go before the trade deadline.

In a perfect world, he plays out of his mind against Florida on Sunday and Tallon reacquires him. Then again, if the Cats scouts look at tape of the last couple of Canuck games, it ain't happening.

Deadline is 6 1/2 weeks away

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Why would we trade away Gudbranson and add Quinn Hughes? We’ll be victimized as the one of the softest smallest teams in the league.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I'm actually looking forward to their being paired with each other. maybe they can work on some trick plays like Quinn scooting between Guddy's legs and sling shotting up the ice ;)

:laugh:

I think they’d work well together and Guddy would probably become a 30-40 point defenseman playing with an actually good offensive defender like Quinn Hughes. Everyone always talks about other guys like Hutton or Pouliot playing with Gudbranson like it’s a negative but what about the partners Guddy gets? It’s not like they are helping him be as good as he can be either.

Reactions: Zippgunn

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Hmm. Can anyone come up with an example of a player with no injury issues whose fairly significant (10M+) contract ends in the prime of his career (under 30) yet he can't get a new contract anywhere in the NHL.

This happened with Sbisa, and could happen again with Poopbranson. Just wondering if there are others. Because that's pretty eye-opening in terms of just how bad the player actually was and is, and how idiotic and wrong Jimbo's scouting and the previous contract was.

Again, a 10M+ contract ending in the player's late 20s. No injury issues. Can't get a new contract. I think it's pretty rare.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
:laugh:

I think they’d work well together and Guddy would probably become a 30-40 point defenseman playing with an actually good offensive defender like Quinn Hughes. Everyone always talks about other guys like Hutton or Pouliot playing with Gudbranson like it’s a negative but what about the partners Guddy gets? It’s not like they are helping him be as good as he can be either.

To your point about Gudbranson benefiting from having a more 'offensive' defenseman on the backend, wondering if you feel Gudbranson is then a liability without the appropriate partner?

If he needs someone to carry him and cover up his mistakes what value does he then actually have as a defenseman?

Is he capable of improving the play of his defensive partner? At this point in his tenure as a Canuck, I would overwhelmingly say......hell no!

You believe that Quinn Hughes who hasn't played an NHL game is capable of carrying dead weight like Gudbranson while he's getting climatized to the NHL as 19/20 year old?

Guddy just isn't an NHL defenseman, the excuses can continue but what's constant is Gudbransons' inability to competently play defense at the NHL level without bleeding goals.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
What’s hilarious is that Gudbranson still probably has trade value around the league despite this run of horrific play. Dale Tallon wanting him back seems like a real thing, Jimbo should be ringing them off the hook but he won’t.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Gudbranson is worse than even I believed. He's one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

I still remember the day the Canucks acquired him and I was so upset and called him a bottom pair defenseman. Even people who agree Benning is a bad GM accused me of hyperbole. :laugh:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
To your point about Gudbranson benefiting from having a more 'offensive' defenseman on the backend, wondering if you feel Gudbranson is then a liability without the appropriate partner?

If he needs someone to carry him and cover up his mistakes what value does he then actually have as a defenseman?

Is he capable of improving the play of his defensive partner? At this point in his tenure as a Canuck, I would overwhelmingly say......hell no!

You believe that Quinn Hughes who hasn't played an NHL game is capable of carrying dead weight like Gudbranson while he's getting climatized to the NHL as 19/20 year old?

Guddy just isn't an NHL defenseman, the excuses can continue but what's constant is Gudbransons' inability to competently play defense at the NHL level without bleeding goals.

I liken EG without an offensive defense partner like Q to Boeser without a playmaking center like EP. Guddy is still a good player in his own right but he needs to find chemistry with a certain type of player to show his true potential.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Gudbranson is worse than even I believed. He's one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

I still remember the day the Canucks acquired him and I was so upset and called him a bottom pair defenseman. Even people who agree Benning is a bad GM accused me of hyperbole. :laugh:

On the day of the trade, I think it was on a mid-morning the news broke and I just happened to be driving at the time. I called 1040 and I think it was Moj hosting; I think I was the very first caller to comment on the trade. I panned it and said he was "Bryan Allen 2.0". To Moj's credit he accepted the opinion and didn't reject it outright, but their crew was generally approving of the trade. One of the frustrating things to hear at the time was how Jared McCann had all these supposed character flaws all of a sudden.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
The reality is that the speed of the game has changed what type of defenseman is most useful. A big guy who is a slow or poor decision maker with the puck has little value now, and certainly less than the little defender who can quickly move the puck.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
On the day of the trade, I think it was on a mid-morning the news broke and I just happened to be driving at the time. I called 1040 and I think it was Moj hosting; I think I was the very first caller to comment on the trade. I panned it and said he was "Bryan Allen 2.0". To Moj's credit he accepted the opinion and didn't reject it outright, but their crew was generally approving of the trade. One of the frustrating things to hear at the time was how Jared McCann had all these supposed character flaws all of a sudden.

Those character flaws were completely fabricated by Benning Bro's who just a month prior were touting McCann as some big draft success. It wasn't until he was dealt that they flipped on him.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I liken EG without an offensive defense partner like Q to Boeser without a playmaking center like EP. Guddy is still a good player in his own right but he needs to find chemistry with a certain type of player to show his true potential.
Guddy is statistically one the worst defencemen in the league. The ‘eye test’ at a game confirms this fact. Your analogy falls on its face when you consider Boeser’s play last season....but don’t let intelligence, logic, commonsense, or reality intrude on your fantasies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The reality is that the speed of the game has changed what type of defenseman is most useful. A big guy who is a slow or poor decision maker with the puck has little value now, and certainly less than the little defender who can quickly move the puck.
According to Elliott Friedman,.. As an asset,..Gudbranson does have value around the league..Does Jared McCann..?..I'm not so sure.
Not trying to pump Guddys tires..but from an asset point of view..I dont think there was a big win by either team in that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad