Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hutton and Gudbranson (520 minutes, 5v5): -16, 34 GF%, -19 Rel GF%, 41 xGF%
Hutton and Stecher (130 minutes, 5v5): even, 50 GF%, +7 Rel GF%, 37 xGF%

The evidence is just so damning. As much as I would hate it, if Hutton has to be the co-scapegoat, ultimately I would be fine with selling low on Hutton if it meant getting rid of Gudbranson as well.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every time I think Jimbo needs to shake things up with a big trade, I remember that he squandered draft picks and McCann to acquire Gudbranson in the first place, and then described him as a 'foundational player'. If that doesn't cause you to gulp once or twice, then nothing will.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
-5 tonight.

2.5 more years!!
-5 is definitely not good...How many of those goals were his fault though?...I will recheck the hi-lites of those..Off the top of my head....One of those was Hutton blowing it...and the other was a guy flying past Pouliot...EG had nothing to do with those two..

Kind of why +/- is a dumb statistic.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Watch before the goals. He has the puck and as they are moving up the ice he chucks it across the ice waist high. Toronto picks the turnover up and then pins them back in the zone and they score.

It is more that just the last 2 to 3 seconds before the goal is scored. His numbers are bad because he constantly puts the team in bad places with his inability to move the puck and relieve the pressure of the on-coming attacks and forechecks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Watch before the goals. He has the puck and as they are moving up the ice he chucks it across the ice waist high. Toronto picks the turnover up and then pins them back in the zone and they score.

It is more that just the last 2 to 3 seconds before the goal is scored. His numbers are bad because he constantly puts the team in bad places with his inability to move the puck and relieve the pressure of the on-coming attacks and forechecks.

This.

He’s a slow, untalented player who can’t get to plays quick enough and can’t move the puck and is always trapped in his own zone until teams eventually score, even if the actual scoring play isn’t his fault.

-19 in his last 21 games playing soft minutes.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
oscar.jpg

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
-5 is definitely not good...How many of those goals were his fault though?...I will recheck the hi-lites of those..Off the top of my head....One of those was Hutton blowing it...and the other was a guy flying past Pouliot...EG had nothing to do with those two..

Kind of why +/- is a dumb statistic.

He's a team-worst -18, Hutton is -16 and no other defenseman on the entire team is a negative. Where there's smoke, there's fire. He's been awful this season. There's no way around it.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
He's a team-worst -18, Hutton is -16 and no other defenseman on the entire team is a negative. Where there's smoke, there's fire. He's been awful this season. There's no way around it.
To defend Benning, some people here will blame Hutton or every other player not named Gudbranson, even if the facts (numbers/stats) state otherwise. From this week mailbag from the Army:

"Since coming to the Canucks, he has the worst on-ice goal-differential in the league. That’s a sample of over 120 games, and over that period he’s been outscored by a nearly 2-to-1 ratio. We’re not talking about the fancy stuff here. This isn’t zone exits or shot attempts or WAR, it’s what hockey is supposed to be about, and what all the fancystats naysayers would tell you Gudbranson is supposed to prevent: goals. In terms of how he performs in relation to creating and preventing the one thing that unavoidably always leads to wins and losses, he’s been literally the worst defender in the game since donning a Canucks uniform.
The Canucks can’t be happy with how he’s played. Not when Elias Pettersson is getting mugged every third or fourth game with little pushback, and not when he’s getting turnstiled for a goal against at a rate worse than a waiver-wire pick up. My guess, or maybe it’s a hope, is that they’d like to get out from under that contract, and to do that he needs to play. At that point, it’s about damage control. "

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Hilarious. 10 seconds in. Some tsn guys frames the conversation as - Gudbrnason is Vancouver's whipping boy. Then one says - "So is he a guy the leafs want to pick up at the deadline?" and the entire panel bursts out in laughter.

They then go on to talk about the fact that someone has to be the whipping boy. "If Elias were -5, no one would crucify him". Hmm lol. But they go on to offer no reasons why Gudbranson shouldn't be the whipping boy.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/miller-canucks-fans-wait-for-gudbranson-to-make-a-mistake~1580205

(waste of time listening to this unless you just want to hear people laugh at the idea of a successful team acquiring Gudbrnason - which made it more than worthwhile for me)

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What I'm struggling to understand is how anyone, least of all Green and Willie before him, could possibly think that the Hutton-Gudbranson pairing can work? It went off the rails the first season it was tried and it looks just as bad now or even worse than it did then.

It doesn't surprise me to learn that Gudbranson and Hutton are the plus-minus laggards on the Canuck blueline. They have to bite the bullet and give Biega an extended run as a right-side d-man with Hutton or somebody. It can't possibly be any worse.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
What I'm struggling to understand is how anyone, least of all Green and Willie before him, could possibly think that the Hutton-Gudbranson pairing can work? It went off the rails the first season it was tried and it looks just as bad now or even worse than it did then.

It doesn't surprise me to learn that Gudbranson and Hutton are the plus-minus laggards on the Canuck blueline. They have to bite the bullet and give Biega an extended run as a right-side d-man with Hutton or somebody. It can't possibly be any worse.

Hutton is a decent defenceman, he’s good at skating the puck up ice and provides a good outlet pass to exit the zone. He has issues with pivoting and turning quickly. You pair a player like that with someone who excels in that area (Stecher/Tanev), instead he is paired with a slow defenseman that can’t pivot & lacks quickness. Gudbranson also has terrible gap control and a horrible stick (stick checking, poke checks, intercepting passes etc.). It’s crystal clear that Hutton & Gudbranson are a bad pairing, don’t understand why they are still paired together, it makes no sense.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Coaches make odd decisions. Even decent *veteran* ones. Example? Vigneault. Kept going with the Edler-Bieksa pairing when it was clearly a disaster.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Benning quote when Gudbranon was aquired: "... he can make a good first pass...". I chuckle and think about that quote every time Gudbranson ices the puck. If that stat was measured Im sure he would have the record for icings per 60. He can make a good first pass, wtf you smoking Benning?

source:
Panthers trade Gudbranson to Canucks for McCann

Nearly 1 in 4 of Gudbranson's dz touches results in a turnover, icing, or penalty.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning quote when Gudbranon was aquired: "... he can make a good first pass...". I chuckle and think about that quote every time Gudbranson ices the puck. If that stat was measured Im sure he would have the record for icings per 60. He can make a good first pass, wtf you smoking Benning?

source:
Panthers trade Gudbranson to Canucks for McCann

Gudbranson can make a good first pass when he has time. :sarcasm:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It's totally damage control at this point.

They tried to trade him for Justin Braun but he nixed coming to Vancouver.

I am certain they would have dealt him at the last TDL but he was hurt. IMHO that's why he was re-signed and it had to be a decent contract to prevent him from walking (which many would have been just fine with but obviously management wants to recoup something).

I don't see him as a piece going forward and I think management is looking for an "out" with him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's totally damage control at this point.

They tried to trade him for Justin Braun but he nixed coming to Vancouver.

I am certain they would have dealt him at the last TDL but he was hurt. IMHO that's why he was re-signed and it had to be a decent contract to prevent him from walking (which many would have been just fine with but obviously management wants to recoup something).

I don't see him as a piece going forward and I think management is looking for an "out" with him.

Jason Demers** but yeah, I don't blame Demers for blocking that one.

Reactions: Pavel96 and geebaan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad