Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i think it was mostly as i remembered it. I usually PVR and watch later so it allows me to back up plays and look at them a couple times if i'm curious.

I don't think any of it was that great but the key point is he was mostly solid, a net positive, plus player and made a nice reaction and shot that gave him an assist. On top of that he made a physical impact that negatively affected the Flames.

He's usually a drain and a bad defenseman and it was the worst move that Benning has made. I agree i dont want to do this ever again...he's not good and i wish they never made that move.

That said the Senators beat the Leafs and a player can have a few good games if you know what i mean. I just want people to be fair in their assessmants not speak from a bias because they dont like someone. Anyways i get it and thank you for taking the time also.

I honestly care about the truth, and people thinking that I speak the truth.
I have ZERO problem saying Granlund played a great game and I hate him as a player as much as I do Gudbranson.

I went in expecting him to be on the ice for the plays where a Flame was left alone in the slot and instead found that player missing those assignments to be Del Zotto.

I also expected to see Gudbranson do the type of physical plays that don't register on a stats sheet. I saw none. No rough stuff in front of the net or in the corners. Just him getting out muscled regularly for the puck.

Honeslty I don't think my bias against him as a player made my report unfair, at least not to the point that people here are trying to lead us to believe. If it really did then I apologies for that.

Reactions: Peter10

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I honestly care about the truth, and people thinking that I speak the truth.
I have ZERO problem saying Granlund played a great game and I hate him as a player as much as I do Gudbranson.

I went in expecting him to be on the ice for the plays where a Flame was left alone in the slot and instead found that player missing those assignments to be Del Zotto.

I also expected to see Gudbranson do the type of physical plays that don't register on a stats sheet. I saw none. No rough stuff in front of the net or in the corners. Just him getting out muscled regularly for the puck.

Honeslty I don't think my bias against him as a player made my report unfair, at least not to the point that people here are trying to lead us to believe. If it really did then I apologies for that.
its all good. I respect this.

I think i did it as much for myself as anything. I thought he played well and was thrown off when people were blasting him. Sometimes i think i'm losing it so i was pretty happy to do an in depth review and confirm pretty much what i thought originally.

Reactions: Literally

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
-He was a +3
-He had an assist
-He won a fight and had a huge hit which changed the momentum of the game (even by the admission of many Flame fans on this site)
-CF = 59%

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a dick so I'll just say it.

Just so you can more efficiently analyse stats in the future:
- You should not use +/- at all, it is a really poor measure of anyone's play
- Corsi% you want a bigger sample then 1 game to be useful

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't know how to say this without sounding like a dick so I'll just say it.

Just so you can more efficiently analyse stats in the future:
- You should not use +/- at all, it is a really poor measure of anyone's play
- Corsi% you want a bigger sample then 1 game to be useful

On the other hand, if he wants to open the door to single-game-corsi as a fair evaluation of Erik Gudbranson's play....

Reactions: geebaan

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Fairly uneventful game two, which is generally a good thing I guess. Looks so awkward out there but again didn't look as bad as MDZ. Just ices the puck so, so much.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Fairly uneventful game two, which is generally a good thing I guess. Looks so awkward out there but again didn't look as bad as MDZ. Just ices the puck so, so much.

And when he does battle in front of the net, why the F does he always manage to take out our goalie with either him or an opposing player? Happened again tonight.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And when he does battle in front of the net, why the F does he always manage to take out our goalie with either him or an opposing player? Happened again tonight.

I was happy to see him respond by shoving Tkachuk right after Markstrom whacked him. Sutter with his take down as well.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I was happy to see him respond by shoving Tkachuk right after Markstrom whacked him. Sutter with his take down as well.
I noticed that as well, this is the culture shift they were talking about.Sutter played a very good and showed leadership by schooling Tckuck.I didn't bother doing an iso report because you can quantify it. He wasn't as physical but made no glaring mistakes.I think people should leave their biases out and just admit they were wrong.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I noticed that as well, this is the culture shift they were talking about.Sutter played a very good and showed leadership by schooling Tckuck.I didn't bother doing an iso report because you can quantify it. He wasn't as physical but made no glaring mistakes.I think people should leave their biases out and just admit they were wrong.

Wrong about what?

The guy is still a poor defender who’s plagued by the same mistakes that his proponents have been saying he’d outgrow since he came into the league.

He’s not good.

And his physical play and “culture” can be replaced by a player who will actually defend more effectively at a fraction of the cost.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'd rather have Sbisa.

Sbisa, despite his horrendous gaffes (usually 1 - 2 per game), is absolutely a better defenceman than Gudbranson. So was Alberts for that matter, who is probably the best comparable.

These are the sort of guys you want as a 7th / 8th defenceman, playing bottom minutes if your defence is ravaged by injuries but spending most of their time in Utica.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Him and Pouliot were disastrous in the first. Although I'm sure the Gudbranson support group will praise him to no end for shoving Tkachuk.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Him and Pouliot were disastrous in the first. Although I'm sure the Gudbranson support group will praise him to no end for shoving Tkachuk.

He was a trainwreck again in butter-soft minutes.

$4 million for a 'defensive defender' who we need to give 65% o-zone starts in 15 minutes/game to avoid embarrassing himself.

Also those 65% zone starts is actually misleadingly low because he iced the puck like 5 times and had to take a d-zone faceoff as a result.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Gudbransson is a symptom of the overall problems with our D - not fast enough (built for a different era?). The line of Gaudreau, Monnahan and Lindholm - if not for Markstrom could have scored at will in the first 2 games. Pouliot has good wheels, but very poor defensive reads and decision making. Gudbransson's reads, stick work, physicality and positioning are fine, but he's just not quick enough.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Gudbranson ice the puck too much. He is too slow out there. That being said I did see some good things out there but it doesn't make up for the lack of speed. Overall the Defence has been really bad. You need to break up Edler and Tanev. Next game

Hutton Tanev
Edler Stecher
MdZ Gudbanson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->