Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You just don't get it, do you? It takes d-men longer for their games to round out, Gudbranson's just past the prospect age for D-men. His game will round out.
:biglaugh:

Oh, look who's back. They let you out of the halfway house again?

NHL.com - Stats

Tell me how many of those players made great strides in their games after age 26. Go on. I'll wait.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I can't believe anyone thinks we lost that trade, Gudbranson is a solid top 6 pair d-man while if McCann was still Canucks property, he'd a slight upgrade to Granlund but most likely he'd be in Utica. The Canucks already have Petey,Bo,Sutter and Beagle at centre. McCann would be useless on this team and way less effective than Virtanen , who's progressing as expected.

I'd take McCann over Gudbranson straight up, never mind the fact that our scouts were high on DeBrincat who was available at 33rd overall. McCann has the potential to be a good #2 centre or great #3 centre. I think in his prime he's a~50 point, two-way centre, which is much more useful than an overpaid #6 dman.

Reactions: geebaan

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I have to agree, they were teammates at one point, weren't they? It shouldn't matter to him or Green,Pettersson is this franchises bread and butter for the next decade plus . I believe he'll be the best Canuck of all-time one day. They have to send a strong message out in that game.
They were teammates briefly yes, but business is business. We'll see what happens I guess.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Imagine if Guddy was as advertised and we had Tryamkin back. There would actually be physical presences on two pairs. Sadly neither the theoretical version of Guddy or the actual version of Tryamkin are here on this team.

Thing is, the sheer size of Tryamkin is actually a determent.
Gudbranson is like what, 2 inches taller then the average NHLer. Tryamkin is like 5-7 inches taller.
Tryamkin doesn't have to be physical to be imposing, the fact that he is 250 6'7 does that for him.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thing is, the sheer size of Tryamkin is actually a determent.
Gudbranson is like what, 2 inches taller then the average NHLer. Tryamkin is like 5-7 inches taller.
Tryamkin doesn't have to be physical to be imposing, the fact that he is 250 6'7 does that for him.
And his size and strength didn't even extend to fighting to get the job done. He had a wingspan like a pterodactyl.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
You just don't get it, do you? It takes d-men longer for their games to round out, Gudbranson's just past the prospect age for D-men. His game will round out.

You've got a 26 year old who was drafted #3 overall over 8 years ago, in his 8th NHL season and having played over 400 NHL games, whose best season was 4 years ago aged 22 and 23 and you claim he's just leaving prospect years. Am I reading this right?

If this isn't sarcasm it's got to be the strangest claim I've seen on this board in a long while. It's easier to find players leaving their prime by the end of their 8th NHL season with >400 games played than those that raise their games to a substantially higher level after that time.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You've got a 26 year old who was drafted #3 overall over 8 years ago, in his 8th NHL season and having played over 400 NHL games, whose best season was 4 years ago at the age of 23 and you claim he's just leaving prospect years. Am I reading this right?

If this isn't sarcasm it's got to be the strangest claim I've seen on this board in a long while. It's easier to find players leaving their prime by the end of their 8th NHL season with >400 games played than those that raise their games to a substantially higher level after that time.
There's a reason he was basically laughed off the board the last time he came by. It's loony tunes stuff, it really is.

Reactions: Peter10 and geebaan

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You've got a 26 year old who was drafted #3 overall over 8 years ago, in his 8th NHL season and having played over 400 NHL games, whose best season was 4 years ago at the age of 23 and you claim he's just leaving prospect years. Am I reading this right?

...not as strange as the people years ago talking about the "potential" in a 31 year old Bertuzzi...

Reactions: geebaan

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
The Canucks are winless in the games Gudbranson has been out this year. His toughness is missed, remember that Rangers game a couple weeks ago? Cody McLoed jumped Darren Archibald, why did he do that? He didn't want to go with Gudbranson. No one does after he broke that guys jaw.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The Canucks are winless in the games Gudbranson has been out this year. His toughness is missed, remember that Rangers game a couple weeks ago? Cody McLoed jumped Darren Archibald, why did he do that? He didn't want to go with Gudbranson. No one does after he broke that guys jaw.
The Toronto Raptors are 8-1 without Kawhi Leonard in the lineup.

Clearly they should get rid of him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Canucks would be a better team if he retired today. Undisputable fact.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
You just don't get it do you? The Canucks need the toughness , man. They need all the physicality they can get. Everyone blames him for any dirty hits that happen against us, imagine how many if we didn't have a few players that can give it back.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The only somewhat sensible argument for keeping Gudbranson around was to have him as a scare tactic to deter opponents from taking runs at Canucks players.

He's since proven to be ineffective in that regard, so what else is he useful for? He fails the eye test, the modern stats test, the traditional stats test.

He's a terrible defender, and seems to get injured every other game anyway. He has no positive impact on this team whatsoever. End of story.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for arguments when you're citing Don Cherry in an appeal to authority in 2018.
Our D is soft without him. In the new Nhl Guddy is not built for high usage. However he is still useful as he provides a counter balance to other teams using size and aggressiveness. This will be more important as the games become more competitive. Watching in person he quite active away from the puck.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If only Leafs management felt the same way. We would have Marner right now.
Yep. But then hey, there's a reason why the Leafs are where they are in the standings and the Canucks are where they are.

Our D is soft without him. In the new Nhl Guddy is not built for high usage. However he is still useful as he provides a counter balance to other teams using size and aggressiveness. This will be more important as the games become more competitive. Watching in person he quite active away from the puck.
How many times does the deterrent myth have to be discredited? It's not as if Gudbranson actually stops big, aggressive guys from doing anything either with or without the puck, is it? And a big part of why the Canucks aren't in those more competitive games such as the playoffs or jockeying for position to make the playoffs is the roster's crammed full of guys like Gudbranson who just can't play hockey well enough to make a good team.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I believe Greener told the boys something to the effect of 'stand down boys, these are a big two points on the line'. Guddy should have been thinking along the lines of 'I don't know what else is going to happen tonight, but I know one thing for sure, Mike Matheson is getting the **** beat out of him.' Just my opinion of course ;)

To be fair to Goober in this instance, ice logs show the two weren't really on the ice together for the rest of that game. Obviously no one wants Gudbranson jumping the boards to go get Matheson.

You and your "undisputable facts." Not sure if it's an English as a second language thing, but you seem to struggle with what "fact" actually means.

Reactions: timbermen

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
You and your "undisputable facts." Not sure if it's an English as a second language thing, but you seem to struggle with what "fact" actually means.

Using analytics we can easily determine what Gudbranson is a liability.
So if he were to retire today it would be one less liability on the team. Therefore, making the team better.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Using analytics we can easily determine what Gudbranson is a liability.
So if he were to retire today it would be one less liability on the team. Therefore, making the team better.

Ridiculous logic. Who takes Gudbrandon's roster spot? Are you sure he will be less of a liability? Indisputably sure? And who then provides even the modest amount of toughness that RealGud brings? And what impact does he have in the dressing room?

It's not inconceivable that we improve by simply removing EG from the roster. But to act like it's an "indisputable fact" or necessarily follows is just wrong. You don't get this, but hockey is played on the ice, not on a spread sheet, and not everything comes down to analytics. If that isn't the case, why are there surprises every year?

Reactions: timbermen

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I could be wrong, but I think it is actually just a bit of sarcasm, as there is two posters who constantly say something is a fact when it is just an opinion.

I could be wrong, just the way I was taking it.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Ridiculous logic. Who takes Gudbrandon's roster spot? Are you sure he will be less of a liability? Indisputably sure? And who then provides even the modest amount of toughness that RealGud brings? And what impact does he have in the dressing room?

It's not inconceivable that we improve by simply removing EG from the roster. But to act like it's an "indisputable fact" or necessarily follows is just wrong. You don't get this, but hockey is played on the ice, not on a spread sheet, and not everything comes down to analytics. If that isn't the case, why are there surprises every year?

Why is it so hard for you to accept that Gudbranson is not a good player?
Replace Gudbranson with Biega and not only do you save money but you also get better. Biega has more hits per game then Gudbranson, besides if we have a player solely in the lineup for "toughness" then why not get a goon. If that's Gudbranson's role as a player, a goon surely would do it better.

What is this "surprises every year", you mean when there is an unsustainable team every year that comes right back down to reality the next year? Isn't that proof that to be a sustaining good hockey team you need good underlying analytics?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Why is it so hard for you to accept that Gudbranson is not a good player?
Replace Gudbranson with Biega and not only do you save money but you also get better. Biega has more hits per game then Gudbranson, besides if we have a player solely in the lineup for "toughness" then why not get a goon. If that's Gudbranson's role as a player, a goon surely would do it better.

What is this "surprises every year", you mean when there is an unsustainable team every year that comes right back down to reality the next year? Isn't that proof that to be a sustaining good hockey team you need good underlying analytics?

I like Biega's game SO much more its not even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad