Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Kind of an odd take comparing three defensemen who had glaring defensive issues with 2 hall of famers and Foote.

Overstatement. Physical D who were apparently a treat to have in the locker room was all I was drawing attention to. Well that and the fact we seem to despise those kinds of D in Vancouver.

Sbisa = Blake would be a laugh though.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You are a good one then, PM, but this forum seemed to have half it's regular posters hating on Bieksa every thread.

I'll grant you the cap hit is trouble, but you'd honestly take Sbisa over Gudbranson at the same cap hit?.

I think so... Barely. But that might be my bias against Gudbranson.
On a slightly lower cap hit, easily.

As for the useless hit and exactly 2 fights a year, we have no one that does that much any more, and people are saying he's either not doing enough of that, and the next day he shouldn't do any of it. If the bar is spinning around like a marching band leaders' baton, no one can compete with that.

Good players don't chase hits that take them out of the play more than the player they are hitting.
Im not convinced his fights did any good for us this year. I don't remember his previous fights for us tbh.

edit. I honestly cant believe Guds is good guy to have in the locker room either. He is over paid, under-performs and threw Hutton under the bus in an interview.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think so... Barely. But that might be my bias against Gudbranson.
On a slightly lower cap hit, easily.

Good players don't chase hits that take them out of the play more than the player they are hitting.
Im not convinced his fights did any good for us this year. I don't remember his previous fights for us tbh.

edit. I honestly cant believe Guds is good guy to have in the locker room either. He is over paid, under-performs and threw Hutton under the bus in an interview.

Sbisa was, at best, Gudbranson without the hits/fights here. His cap hit might have been higher, proportionately, while he was here too.

Didn't Hamonic have something he did to one of our guys last year? Not a defense of the fight, or saying that it was more of a spark or deterrent then anything else. As for the hits, yes, good players don't go chasing them. I'm not arguing he is a smart player or an effective hitter, just that we have no one to fill any physical role on this team, and he's not the worst D on this team by a long shot.

Locker room stuff is all insiders and Florida players and other players interviews and the like. It could be pure speculation, but I've never seen someone contradicted with evidence, from any sources, when it's said, and usually who ever says it has a news article or audio clip to go with it if pushed. I'm not a Canucks player, I don't know directly of course.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Imagine being Hutton, having to play with a guy who threw you under the buss and at the same time is holding you back big time.
If I was Hutton I'd be pretty frusterated.

Also, to touch on what others have said. Gudbranson and Sbisa are 100% comparable, both are useless at transitioning the puck, bad in front of the net, throw the occasional big hit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With the exception of Edler, watching this Canuck blueline try to win a puck battle along the wall is like watching a sparrow in a windstorm. Gudbranson is basically the only consistent physical d-man they have, other than Del Zotto. And he's basically a turnover machine.

Someday maybe the Canucks will be successful in drafting a Chris Pronger, Shea Weber or-Brent Seabrook kind of d-man who can deliver both offense and a stiff check.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
So when EP gets dumped weeks ago almost this entire board freaks out on EG because apparently it's his job to prevent anybody ever hitting one of our stars and even though nobody on the ice saw it he is castigated for not going full Bertuzzi on the guy despite being told by his coach to cool it. Tonight he clocks the perpetrator of a dirty head shot with a solid (if also slightly dirty) uppercut and people here want him suspended. Bunch of hypocrites I say...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So when EP gets dumped weeks ago almost this entire board freaks out on EG because apparently it's his job to prevent anybody ever hitting one of our stars and even though nobody on the ice saw it he is castigated for not going full Bertuzzi on the guy despite being told by his coach to cool it. Tonight he clocks the perpetrator of a dirty head shot with a solid (if also slightly dirty) uppercut and people here want him suspended. Bunch of hypocrites I say...

Because he’s a chickenshit and he proves it. Fight like a f***ing man. I would expect what he did from Granlund. Mind you, I didn’t really care about it and thought Martel deserved it, but the fact Gudbranson is the one doing it says so much about his tough guy reputation

Reactions: geebaan

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
Just when you thought the lug would do something after that uppercut in the scrum, not a f****** peep in the third. I know that Tanev goal killed any chance of retribution, but that was a flaccid third period out of Guddy. He did literally nothing. Guess he's only accountable when he can be the third man in.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Gudbranson still proving he’s a fake tough guy.

Also demonstrating how terribly he plays defense. A solid -4 tonight and wearing his tank commander hat with pride.

I thought it was hilarious in the first when Cirelli knocked him down in front of his net and just stood over him for a few seconds before Guddy realized that he should get up and hit the guy who is 40 pounds lighter and had just planted his ass on the ice.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

I don't care about him coming in and getting some dirty punches in, I care about how he got those dirty punches in.

On the icing call Martel skated right by him after the whistle and Gudbranson just didn't take notice. Virtanen took a bee-line from the high slot over to the boards to engage Martel while Gudbranson stood there, and that's fine at this point for Gudbranson to stand there and not get involved to box other players out, but then after Martel has been tied up for a while Gudbranson saw an opportunity to actually drop his gloves and get some punches in.

He's a candy-ass, that was some Matt Cooke tier chickenshit. If him and Virtanen both went at the guy I would have been fine with it, if Gudbranson went in and just attacked the guy I would have been fine with it, but instead he lets Virtanen get involved and once Gudbranson has absolutely no threat of being hit back he decides to get in the mix. What a joke.

This is a guy who called out his team for not standing up for Boeser last year. This year so far he has failed to stand up for: Pettersson getting slammed to the ice, Boeser taking a crosscheck in his previously broken back, and Stetcher getting TKO'd.

I would be absolutely furious at Gudbranson if I were his teammate and he had the audacity to call me and the other guys out when he does nothing unless someone drops the gloves and starts throwing at him. Even Boeser stood up for Pettersson who then had Hutton come save him. No different than Prust coming here and not bothering to stand up for the kids with "they need to learn to look after themselves".

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I probably hate Guds the hockey player more than anyone on these boards, but you are being unfair.

He gooned it up good.

I'm glad he did it, but he chose the most chickenshit time to do it after one of our kids engaged and the guy was tied up.

I'm all about going at one of these guys, but when our supposed tough guy just lets the guy who put Stetcher out skate right by only to finally get involved once there is no risk of him getting hit back it's not him being a tough guy, it's embarrassing. If it were Motte, or Granlund, or Schaller, or Pouliot, or Goldobin, or Beagle etc I would have been happy with it.

Do you think Gudbranson would have responded the way Hutton did? I'm not so sure, and I don't think Hutton plays nearly as physical as he should. There is a chance as Gudbranson has some level of willingness to get in the mix, but he never engages it himself. MAYBE he gets involved in the Boeser incident because he feels pressured to do so, but I'm really not so sure.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm glad he did it, but he chose the most chicken**** time to do it after one of our kids engaged and the guy was tied up.

I'm all about going at one of these guys, but when our supposed tough guy just lets the guy who put Stetcher out skate right by only to finally get involved once there is no risk of him getting hit back it's not him being a tough guy, it's embarrassing. If it were Motte, or Granlund, or Schaller, or Pouliot, or Goldobin, or Beagle etc I would have been happy with it.

Do you think Gudbranson would have responded the way Hutton did? I'm not so sure, and I don't think Hutton plays nearly as physical as he should. There is a chance as Gudbranson has some level of willingness to get in the mix, but he never engages it himself. MAYBE he gets involved in the Boeser incident because he feels pressured to do so, but I'm really not so sure.

I don't think he would. At least historically he hasnt.

But this is the most I've ever liked him.

Reactions: Intangibos

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Just when you thought the lug would do something after that uppercut in the scrum, not a f****** peep in the third. I know that Tanev goal killed any chance of retribution, but that was a flaccid third period out of Guddy. He did literally nothing. Guess he's only accountable when he can be the third man in.

Well Horvat said they had a talk during the intermission where they decided as a team to not do anything more in terms of starting stuff, and try to beat them on the scoreboard. He was trying to be a good teammate.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
One thing I would note is that all of this stuff probably began with Antoine Roussel beating the shit out of little Yanni Gourde. That clearly made them mad and imo led directly to Martel headshotting Stecher, which of course led in turn to the lid blowing off the thing.

I and others here suspected at the time the Roussel signing would lead to reprisals against our players in response to his antics and I think we can chalk up a concussion for Stecher in all likelihood to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad