Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsForPresidents

Dec 31, 2014
British Columbia
Gudbranson constantly fails the eye test. He can barely transition the puck, he gets bent in every time the Canucks are trying to hold the blue line, and for being massive he sure seems to have a problem with keeping anybody above 5'11" 185lbs out of the crease. And even if he does clear the crease, it's usually because the guy in front saw a chance to get open and is currently burying it on an open net because Gudbranson lost him.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Gudbranson constantly fails the eye test. He can barely transition the puck, he gets bent in every time the Canucks are trying to hold the blue line, and for being massive he sure seems to have a problem with keeping anybody above 5'11" 185lbs out of the crease. And even if he does clear the crease, it's usually because the guy in front saw a chance to get open and is currently burying it on an open net because Gudbranson lost him.

As well as everything you have said, he also has thrown teammates under the bus. I honestly cannot understand why anyone wants him on the team.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
As well as everything you have said, he also has thrown teammates under the bus. I honestly cannot understand why anyone wants him on the team.
In the process of throwing his teammates under the bus, he makes claims to pump himself up that he doesn't even live up to. Like when he was injured and Brock took a cheap shot he says, "Guys can't let that happen, if I was in there things would have been different." Next season the even more diminutive EP takes a cheaper shot, and Erik does nothing and is apparently a good soldier for not doing anything.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Not only is he a really bad hockey player who hurts his team when he's on the ice, he's a fake tough guy who doesn't even do what he was brought in for (deter cheapshots and protect the kids), and provides no leadership or character or other supposed intangibles to the team while being unlikeable as well. He cost way too much when Benning traded for him and he's also overpaid and gets hurt all the time.

So just what exactly is he good for?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not only is he a really bad hockey player who hurts his team when he's on the ice, he's a fake tough guy who doesn't even do what he was brought in for (deter cheapshots and protect the kids), and provides no leadership or character or other supposed intangibles to the team while being unlikeable as well. He cost way too much when Benning traded for him and he's also overpaid and gets hurt all the time.

To be fair to him personally, the idea that tough guys deter cheapshots is a complete and utter fallacy and Benning should've known that.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

Hes handsome. That's all I can think of tbh.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

The tank

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Why does Gudbranson split the fanbase in such a drastic fashion but Pouliot doesnt?

Is it because he looks like a big burly man and has a reputation of toughness that isn't really backed up by anything on ice?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Why does Gudbranson split the fanbase in such a drastic fashion but Pouliot doesnt?

Is it because he looks like a big burly man and has a reputation of toughness that isn't really backed up by anything on ice?
Benning gave up a lot more to acquire him, and then signed him to a longer, bigger extension. He's become a symbol of the Benning era.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning gave up a lot more to acquire him, and then signed him to a longer, bigger extension. He's become a symbol of the Benning era.
It totally confuses me how all the great work up front is (_-@&_) up on the back end. It's like Benning is two people....one half great and one half Millbury bad.....

Gud is merely one example of this...

Reactions: Pavel96

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gudbranson had a decent stretch of games, but he's reverted to form during this losing streak. Never seen a guy with less of an idea of what to do with the puck when he does gain possession of it in his own zone. It's basically off the glass and out; or hoisted out on a flip. Sometimes he can't make an outlet pass to save his life.

And Pouliot has accomplished the impossible. He's actually made Chris Tanev looking like a bumbling d-man as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It totally confuses me how all the great work up front is (_-@&_) up on the back end. It's like Benning is two people....one half great and one half Millbury bad.....

He's been just as bad with the forwards aside from approving two consensus selections of his scouting staff in the first round.

Reactions: Pavel96

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Great work? The forward group sucks! It's just the defense is worse.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Back to being injured. CBS.com had a hilarious take on the situation:
"Coach Travis Green said Gudbranson tweaked his neck and is considered day-to-day, Irfaan Gaffar of Sportsnet reports.
It wouldn't have been surprising if Gudbranson was a healthy scratch for Tuesday's game versus the Kings since he was combined for a minus-12 rating and 12 PIM in the previous seven games. "

Hopefully he gets healthy so he can get back to helping with the tank.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Even more positive development, from a tank perspective, would be the injury leading to getting Poo back in the line up. One can only dream.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
To be fair to him personally, the idea that tough guys deter cheapshots is a complete and utter fallacy and Benning should've known that.

Well I mean, he should have.

But that was literally one of their explicit reasons for re-signing him so...that really shows what kind of thought processes our management group goes through.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

What great work? The best forwards Benning has aquired (outside of drafting) in his entire tenure are Baertschi and Goldobin. Two useful, but ultimately complementary middle-six forwards.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Back to being injured. CBS.com had a hilarious take on the situation:
"Coach Travis Green said Gudbranson tweaked his neck and is considered day-to-day, Irfaan Gaffar of Sportsnet reports.
It wouldn't have been surprising if Gudbranson was a healthy scratch for Tuesday's game versus the Kings since he was combined for a minus-12 rating and 12 PIM in the previous seven games. "

Hopefully he gets healthy so he can get back to helping with the tank.

Good lord why don’t they just put me on the ice...oh right I’m not 6’4 and good looking

Reactions: geebaan

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
No you cut bait. They chose to be stuck with him with the extension and every day he is on the roster they are making that choice again.

Let’s go with the just coach him angle. Let’s ignore he’s had several coaches and the same coaches are doing fine with Hutton and Stecher. If you coach him and he gets better how much better can he get? If you subscribe to later development for D-men that’s fine but it still means he’s within 5-10% of his peak performance. So coach him up. He will still suck.

Yeah but this management doubles down. Of course buying him out or somehow getting rid of him would have been the rational thing to do, but I don't expect us to do the rational thing.

Therefore we are stuck with him and need to get whatever we can out of him. That's on the coaching staff. And no they haven't done a great job with Hutton - they've actively gotten in the way of his development because of preconceived biases.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's so much easier to watch and cheer for the team without this terrible, unlikeable loser in the lineup.

Normally watching a game with him in it is like trying to enjoy a pasta dish that has a dog turd sitting on the plate in place of the garlic bread.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It's so much easier to watch and cheer for the team without this terrible, unlikeable loser in the lineup.

Normally watching a game with him in it is like trying to enjoy a pasta dish that has a dog turd sitting on the plate in place of the garlic bread.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What great work? The best forwards Benning has aquired (outside of drafting) in his entire tenure are Baertschi and Goldobin. Two useful, but ultimately complementary middle-six forwards.
I'm referring the entire body of work (including draft). Team, despite the injuries, has played entertaining hockey many nights (at least at the games I've gone to save the sleep inducing Kings game). Because of the forwards. Just can't defend if their lives depended on it.

At least that's what I see (others might see something different).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm referring the entire body of work (including draft). Team, despite the injuries, has played entertaining hockey many nights (at least at the games I've gone to save the sleep inducing Kings game). Because of the forwards. Just can't defend if their lives depended on it.

At least that's what I see (others might see something different).

Well... The underlying numbers early predicted what we are seeing now.

Sure it was fun when Horvat and Pettersson were scoring every game, but... its not because Benning built a good top6 or anything close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad