Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What? Where is the evidence that he's been a popular teammate wherever (2 teams) he has gone? I mean there was the tweet by Willie Mitchell a few years back, but that was the only response I saw anywhere that his teammates in Florida thought he was a good teammate.

Meanwhile have two separate incidents now where he didn't stand up for his teammates (Boeser & Petterson). There is more concrete evidence to support the former than there is the latter, so not only is it fair it's also both appropriate and supported.

Over the summer he went on a trip with Gagner, Markstrom, Edler, and Eriksson. Seems to me if he wasn't a good teammate he wouldn't get along with his teammates. Again, being a good teammate doesn't require fighting.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
According to Botch the Devils asked about Gudbranson last season and Miles Wood was discussed.

It would not surprise me at all if Gudbranson carries more value around the league than Tanev.

I even read speculations that the Leafs would want him as part of a package for Nylander

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It would not surprise me at all if Gudbranson carries more value around the league than Tanev.

I even read speculations that the Leafs would want him as part of a package for Nylander
tenor.gif

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure they would.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
...and you seriously think Gudbranson would carry more value around the league than Tanev?

It doesn't have anything to do with Gudbranson being better than Tanev. Gudbranson has been overrated his entire career and there were GMs saying they would do Gudbranson for 4m/year "in a heartbeat". He is seen as a shut down top 4 RD who plays a physical game and has a good shot / first pass. The league is full of dinosaurs, I'm shocked Dubas specifically would have any interest though.

Meanwhile I recall a few years ago Tanev in a list of "worst NHL contracts" by some reporter. Obviously it's just "some reporter" and a few years ago, but NHL GMs also think this way.

Tanev = soft/small, and small guys can't be effective defensively, and he can't score.
Gudbranson = big tough D who is very good defensively due to his size

Again, Gudbranson has been severely overrated for around a decade now, why do you think it would suddenly stop?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One of the best defensive and puck handling games from EG we've seen.
Kessel made an outstanding play to tie at 2 on a 2on1 with Gudbranson back... but overall a solid game from him.

Reactions: Nomobo

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I know he's the whipping boy along with a certain top pick but he has played well this season so far made a few mistakes they all have and will that's hockey I've liked his presence around his own net doing a solid job there giving goalies some room .
The way everyone expecting him to go full goon in Florida was a bit over the top he may have wanted to but did what coach asked that's a team guy.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Gudbranson as your only deterrent is a fail. There needs to be several guys who will jump in. Canucks are too weak to protect a skinny teen and now everybody knows it! They should never have tried it.

So in your humble opinion what strategy should the club employ that would GUARANTEE nobody ever hits any of our smaller skill players. I'm all ears...

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
So in your humble opinion what strategy should the club employ that would GUARANTEE nobody ever hits any of our smaller skill players. I'm all ears...
In the same spirit...what strategy should the club employ that would GUARANTEE we win the Stanley Cup?
I'm all ears.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This new narrative ever since the incident that these guys would have stuck up and made their presence felt, but had too much respect for their coach, who didn't allow it, is really a dumb-founding new low. I never would have guessed that this would become the go-to defense.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It doesn't have anything to do with Gudbranson being better than Tanev. Gudbranson has been overrated his entire career and there were GMs saying they would do Gudbranson for 4m/year "in a heartbeat". He is seen as a shut down top 4 RD who plays a physical game and has a good shot / first pass. The league is full of dinosaurs, I'm shocked Dubas specifically would have any interest though.

Meanwhile I recall a few years ago Tanev in a list of "worst NHL contracts" by some reporter. Obviously it's just "some reporter" and a few years ago, but NHL GMs also think this way.

Tanev = soft/small, and small guys can't be effective defensively, and he can't score.
Gudbranson = big tough D who is very good defensively due to his size

Again, Gudbranson has been severely overrated for around a decade now, why do you think it would suddenly stop?
You follow up your novellas on hfpoli with this? Have you been painting your bedroom with all the windows closed this last week or something?

The league isn't full of dinosaurs. The league can't afford to be. There's a reason why dinosaurs die off, and hello, overvaluing Gudbranson is a big indicator as to who's really the dinosaur.

Tanev = defenseman who can defend.
Gudbranson = defenseman who usually can't.

Everyone else can watch hockey games as well as we can. This isn't the first time the Canucks have come out of the gate strong and fallen flat on their faces later on. Gudbranson's put together a decent string of games (for him). But so has Tanev. And Tanev puts together a lot more strings a lot more often.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
You follow up your novellas on hfpoli with this? Have you been painting your bedroom with all the windows closed this last week or something?

The league isn't full of dinosaurs. The league can't afford to be. There's a reason why dinosaurs die off, and hello, overvaluing Gudbranson is a big indicator as to who's really the dinosaur.

Tanev = defenseman who can defend.
Gudbranson = defenseman who usually can't.

Everyone else can watch hockey games as well as we can. This isn't the first time the Canucks have come out of the gate strong and fallen flat on their faces later on. Gudbranson's put together a decent string of games (for him). But so has Tanev. And Tanev puts together a lot more strings a lot more often.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm not overvaluing Gudbranson, you can view my post history if you want and I think he's trash. I don't value him at all as a player, let alone overvalue him. I'm suggesting that GMs around the league for some reason value him and there is plenty of evidence to support this. I certainly don't think Tanev is a defenceman who can't defend, I've been pumping his tires for many many years now. Dinosaurs die off but there are still plenty around the league. If they were extinct our team wouldn't have the management we currently have.

So I'm not sure if I'm reading your post wrong, but it seems like you're letting your personal opinion of me affect how you read my posts. I'm genuinely not sure how you can read my post and think I was suggesting Gudbranson is a good tough top 4 D while Tanev is a soft D who can't defend. I feel as if I must be misunderstanding your post because I'm almost certain my post should have been clear enough for anyone to understand.

If this is because you don't like my political leanings, then that's absolutely ridiculous and you shouldn't let your anger at someone disagreeing with you on one topic prevent you from agreeing on another topic you may in fact actually agree on. You're not going to agree with people on every topic very often in life. Even if you did having a discussion with someone you disagree with is not only how you evolve as a person but improve how to frame your arguments to others anyway. Sometimes your opinions may be conflicting in your mind and you're not even aware of it and having conversations with those you disagree with can help you resolve that cognitive dissonance and refine your thoughts on various topics.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post or your reply was an honest mistake from misreading mine, but if this is because you don't like my posts on completely different topics that aren't even hockey related just grow up man.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If this team actually turned down Miles Wood for Erik Gudbranson...

Wood at this point is what we hope Virtanen becomes some day, dear lord that would be f***ing terrible.

:facepalm:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Another disaster pitched by our old friend. Wonder how many more it will take for the Guddy slurpers to finally turn on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad