Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Guddy doesn't really help in the old NHL either. Roussel, sure, but Guddy is completely useless in any circumstance.

Gudbranson would be a better Dman in the "old NHL" than right now IMO. In terms of fighting, when he broke into the league he fought a lot more and took on some legitimate fighters. Last season Tom Wilson bounced off him and then Gudbranson edged him in a fight.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Gudbranson would be a better Dman in the "old NHL" than right now IMO. In terms of fighting, when he broke into the league he fought a lot more and took on some legitimate fighters. Last season Tom Wilson bounced off him and then Gudbranson edged him in a fight.

don't see it either. He's pretty bad at making decisions with the puck. cutting off the angle he's ok, he can be effecitive too as a tough guy, but he's not showing that anymore, since he has nothing to prove to anyone unlike when he was just breaking into the NHL.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes he is a really tough fighter and he'll still give you a couple of good bouts a year, I agree. But he isn't a team guy and will not stand up for his teammates, I think that is abundantly clear by now. It really boils down to what watching one or two hockey fights a season is worth to you. It isn't worth much to me; certainly not 15 or 20 million dollars or what ever garish number it is the Canucks are paying him or anything close to it. He seems to be one of those players that you like less and less upon repeated viewings.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes he is a really tough fighter and he'll still give you a couple of good bouts a year, I agree. But he isn't a team guy and will not stand up for his teammates, I think that is abundantly clear by now. It really boils down to what watching one or two hockey fights a season is worth to you. It isn't worth much to me; certainly not 15 or 20 million dollars or what ever garish number it is the Canucks are paying him or anything close to it. He seems to be one of those players that you like less and less upon repeated viewings.

I was responding to your comment about the "old NHL." I think it's a different environment when the expectation to drop the gloves is higher. In today's game, even if you're the team's 6th Dman, dropping the gloves does very little to keep you in the lineup. In the "old NHL" it might keep you in the lineup.

I also don't think it's fair to say he's not a team guy and will not stand up for his teammates. It appears that he's been a popular teammate wherever he has gone. You have zero evidence that he "isn't a team guy" and not dropping the gloves enough in defense of a teammate is hardly evidence. You can stick up for your teammates without fighting. Two years ago, he did fight Martin after he jumped Stecher in the previous game.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I was responding to your comment about the "old NHL." I think it's a different environment when the expectation to drop the gloves is higher. In today's game, even if you're the team's 6th Dman, dropping the gloves does very little to keep you in the lineup. In the "old NHL" it might keep you in the lineup.

I also don't think it's fair to say he's not a team guy and will not stand up for his teammates. It appears that he's been a popular teammate wherever he has gone. You have zero evidence that he "isn't a team guy" and not dropping the gloves enough in defense of a teammate is hardly evidence. You can stick up for your teammates without fighting. Two years ago, he did fight Martin after he jumped Stecher in the previous game.
Well he's dadgum handsome, I will give him that. I don't think there's any denying it. As far as being a team guy though, I've seen zero evidence in his time here of that. I don't give a flying f*** anymore anyway. I'm going to follow the Comets for the remainder of the season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well he's dadgum handsome, I will give him that. I don't think there's any denying it. As far as being a team guy though, I've seen zero evidence in his time here of that. I don't give a flying **** anyway. I'm going to follow the Comets for the remainder of the season.

Zero evidence? As mentioned, he seems popular among his teammates. He fought Matt Martin after he took a run at Stecher the previous game. Hutton spoke about how Gudbranson would be in the other player's ear whenever he received a late hit.

You can follow the Canucks or the Comets. None of my concern.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Zero evidence? As mentioned, he seems popular among his teammates. He fought Matt Martin after he took a run at Stecher the previous game. Hutton spoke about how Gudbranson would be in the other player's ear whenever he received a late hit.

You can follow the Canucks or the Comets. None of my concern.
I had a feeling you wouldn't mind.

See ya over there sometime ;)

Reactions: F A N

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
So now we need face-punchers to protect our face punchers? Will we need additional tough guys to back up those tough guys?

Gudbranson as your only deterrent is a fail. There needs to be several guys who will jump in. Canucks are too weak to protect a skinny teen and now everybody knows it! They should never have tried it.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Are you guys sure that's not this guy?

Milo Ventimiglia
MV5BMjAxODcyNzU2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA0ODMxOQ@@._V1_SY1000_SX666_AL_.jpg

f*** I miss Gilmore Girls

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well he's dadgum handsome, I will give him that. I don't think there's any denying it. As far as being a team guy though, I've seen zero evidence in his time here of that. I don't give a flying **** anymore anyway. I'm going to follow the Comets for the remainder of the season.
You would prefer to watch Gaunce and Lind to Pettersson and Boeser? To each their own I guess.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
but would you trade erik gudbranson back to florida for mike matheson

LOL LOL

Mike Matheson is a supposed smooth skating defenseman. Thus they signed him to a big contract

Unfortunately he makes Luca Sbisa look like Bobby Orr. Basically untradeable and otherwise worthless.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

What? Where is the evidence that he's been a popular teammate wherever (2 teams) he has gone? I mean there was the tweet by Willie Mitchell a few years back, but that was the only response I saw anywhere that his teammates in Florida thought he was a good teammate.

Meanwhile have two separate incidents now where he didn't stand up for his teammates (Boeser & Petterson). There is more concrete evidence to support the former than there is the latter, so not only is it fair it's also both appropriate and supported.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That feel when Ryan Miller is the only player recently who is willing to jump in and protect our young players.... feelsbadman
Hamhuis jumped in to be the third man in when he saw Dorsett was getting overmatched in his bout in that one post-season game against Calgary. Sbisa, who was on the ice, was too busy exchanging pizza recipes with a Flames player to bother.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
What? Where is the evidence that he's been a popular teammate wherever (2 teams) he has gone? I mean there was the tweet by Willie Mitchell a few years back, but that was the only response I saw anywhere that his teammates in Florida thought he was a good teammate.

Meanwhile have two separate incidents now where he didn't stand up for his teammates (Boeser & Petterson). There is more concrete evidence to support the former than there is the latter, so not only is it fair it's also both appropriate and supported.
Similar to Brandon Prust and a whole lot more expensive.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
last year we were able to get Jason Demers, I think we should be able to get Mark Pysyk straight up. same draft year 1st rounder right shot same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad