Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Sorry but that is incredibly ridicilious expectation of a 26yr old who has never been good for longer than this stretch and seems like his stretch already came to a halt.
He was fine tonight. Actually made some great plays, though he did have one vintage instance of bobbling possession. It's not something you can observe from not watching the games so I'm not sure why you'd make a comment like that? I don't think anyone's expecting point production to continue (and I would mock anyone who'd say so), but it's his transitional play that is looking better than ever. Don't forget, this is a guy that's had a lot of his career arc derailed to injury. There is still a chance, and it's not a ridiculous chance, that he's finally getting his legs under him. This is all coming from me, the greatest Gudbranson hater of them all -- I'm keen to wait for those wheels to fall off again but until it happens I'll enjoy his run of actually-good play.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
If you told me Gudbranson and Virtanen would be bright spots on this team before the season started I would have called you a liar......

Oh and Hutton too.

What a weird year so far

Reactions: GoTeamDom

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ah dang.

Guess we will never know then.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gudbranson was a bit polarizing for Panthers fans too. He was drafted 3rd overall and took a long time to develop into the player they saw in his last season there. Even then he wasn't like a 1st pairing Dman or anything. But take away the expected cost of re-signing him and questions about his durability and I think most Panthers fans viewed him as a someone they wanted as a 2nd pairing Dman in the lineup going forward.

I think in May 2016, most Panthers fans would have been okay or even happy with signing Gudbranson to a 5 year contract for $4M AAV with no NTC.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Don't get me wrong, I think Gudbranson was a bit polarizing for Panthers fans too. He was drafted 3rd overall and took a long time to develop into the player they saw in his last season there. Even then he wasn't like a 1st pairing Dman or anything. But take away the expected cost of re-signing him and questions about his durability and I think most Panthers fans viewed him as a someone they wanted as a 2nd pairing Dman in the lineup going forward.

I think in May 2016, most Panthers fans would have been okay or even happy with signing Gudbranson to a 5 year contract for $4M AAV with no NTC.

That is your right to speculate, but lets not pretend it is more reliable then what is coming from the mouths (or keyboards) of the Panthers fanbase.

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016

:laugh:

What Panthers fans said was revisionist history. But you can think they'd be happy with signing him to a 5 year contract because...? You feel that way?

At least try and back up your opinions with more than just them being your opinions.

It's classic FAN garbage. Provide zero evidence and dismiss anything contradicting your point. You can never be wrong.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If you told me Gudbranson and Virtanen would be bright spots on this team before the season started I would have called you a liar......

Oh and Hutton too.

What a weird year so far

Virtanen got better as the season went on last year and it wouldn't have been a bold prediction to think there is a chance it may continue

Hutton's play is very similar to last year but Gudbranson hasn't been making as many mistakes that Hutton has to cover for and then get blamed for.

Gudbranson has been fine this year, but honestly the bar is pretty f***ing low. His "great" season so far consists of him still having terrible games with terrible mistakes and then games where he looks like he's more than a #6/7 guy.

Here's a photo of some of the guys bonding last year.

dNbIPfT.jpg

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Brian Campbell last played for the Panthers a few seasons ago (the last time Guds was carried on a pairing). Who would be candidates for that assignment currently with the Panthers?

As a 3rd pairing D, he’s been fine this season so far.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Virtanen got better as the season went on last year and it wouldn't have been a bold prediction to think there is a chance it may continue

Hutton's play is very similar to last year but Gudbranson hasn't been making as many mistakes that Hutton has to cover for and then get blamed for.

Gudbranson has been fine this year, but honestly the bar is pretty ****ing low. His "great" season so far consists of him still having terrible games with terrible mistakes and then games where he looks like he's more than a #6/7 guy.

Here's a photo of some of the guys bonding last year.

dNbIPfT.jpg
Hutton Gudbranson and Markstrom

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
A little hot streak and people were saying he's worth his contract :laugh:

Goober is slow AF and can't handle the puck. This is not the makings of an NHL defenseman. He's a great tank commander, though.

Reactions: geebaan

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Same story as Sbisa.

- sucks for 20 games.

- has 3 or 4 good games!

- Benning drones come out of the woodwork saying look what a solid defender he is, worth his contract, wait til the playoffs!

- sucks for another 20 games.

- drones mysteriously disappear.
Had the exact same thought while watching the game tonight. Benning and our pro scouts are just flat out terrible at evaluating defensemen.

Reactions: tantalum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad