Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Pettersson and Boeser are the recipients of multiple cheap shots which injure them that Gudbranson neither prevents nor responds to in any way ...

Dude what are you talking about. Brock injured his groin. There was 1 hard play that no one saw and the NHL suspended Matheson for. Pettersson didn’t even get injured it was protocol that kept him out. Everything else has been routine contact that every star has to battle through. I think you and a lot of posters who don’t like Gudbranson and don’t like some other veteran signings that are there partly to maintain a safe working environment for the kids blow a lot of the routine physicality the kids receive out of proportion just so you can dump on those players you don’t like (and Benning by proxy)

I won’t tell you to stop but it’s clearly irrational and embarrassing as a fan to imagine that some of our players might read it and think we are all irrationally hostile to them when they need our support.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Dude what are you talking about. Brock injured his groin. There was 1 hard play that no one saw and the NHL suspended Matheson for. Pettersson didn’t even get injured it was protocol that kept him out. Everything else has been routine contact that every star has to battle through. I think you and a lot of posters who don’t like Gudbranson and don’t like some other veteran signings that are there partly to maintain a safe working environment for the kids blow a lot of the routine physicality the kids receive out of proportion just so you can dump on those players you don’t like (and Benning by proxy)

I won’t tell you to stop but it’s clearly irrational and embarrassing as a fan to imagine that some of our players might read it and think we are all irrationally hostile to them when they need our support.
I think MS is probably referring to the vicious crosscheck to the surgically repaired back he took just prior to the groin problem surfacing. You'll recall Shorty and Cheech wondering about the Canucks response to it at the time. Of course we know there wasn't one. I thought it was worthy of that player receiving a talking to from someone.

Reactions: MS

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I think MS is probably referring to the vicious crosscheck to the surgically repaired back he took just prior to the groin problem surfacing. You'll recall Shorty and Cheech wondering about the Canucks response to it at the time. Of course we know there wasn't one. I thought it was worthy of that player receiving a talking to from someone.

I didn’t think it was vicious, I watched that play over a few times and I think it just caught Him in a bad spot. Maybe it was a little shot? If it didn’t hit him in an exact spot where he was injured before recently it wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar. Boeser didn’t get injured on the play either, didn’t even miss a shift. I mean sure we can dogpile anyone who sneezes on Boeser or EP but I don’t think that’s reasonable.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I didn’t think it was vicious, I watched that play over a few times and I think it just caught Him in a bad spot. Maybe it was a little shot? If it didn’t hit him in an exact spot where he was injured before recently it wouldn’t have been on anyone’s radar. Boeser didn’t get injured on the play either, didn’t even miss a shift. I mean sure we can dogpile anyone who sneezes on Boeser or EP but I don’t think that’s reasonable.
I get the impression that Greener doesn't want the players retaliating to cheap shots anyway. You know. Two points on the line; playoffs etc.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I get the impression that Greener doesn't want the players retaliating to cheap shots anyway. You know. Two points on the line; playoffs etc.

Right. There was a fan of another team (can’t remember which, think it was a Lightning fan) who responded to someone calling out their team for not responding to a cheap shot on a young player with “They’re trying to win a hockey game not impress some Neanderthals on the internet” and it made a lot of sense to me. Seems to be the way the NHL is going now. If the league can get suspensions right I’m all for it. Guys like Gudbranson are legendary fighters but they’re better with their hands making plays with the puck. I would rather see him fight once in a blue moon than every game. Make the rare fight count by breaking the other guys face and the next one won’t challenge you so quick.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Right. There was a fan of another team (can’t remember which, think it was a Lightning fan) who responded to someone calling out their team for not responding to a cheap shot on a young player with “They’re trying to win a hockey game not impress some Neanderthals on the internet” and it made a lot of sense to me. Seems to be the way the NHL is going now. If the league can get suspensions right I’m all for it. Guys like Gudbranson are legendary fighters but they’re better with their hands making plays with the puck. I would rather see him fight once in a blue moon than every game. Make the rare fight count by breaking the other guys face and the next one won’t challenge you so quick.
It's a relief to hear you say that RMB. We lost another valued poster (and a fellow Guddy supporter) here who plumb up and quit after the Matheson debacle. The poor man must have felt he simply couldn't climb down from the strong Guddy-as-enforcer position he had staked out for himself. Which was a shame, he was a great contributor to the off topic music thread.

You hate to see folks up and quit the forum like that. I mean, it's just a game after all :)

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Come on... Gudbranson never stands up for his team mates. What are you on about with this "nobody saw" narrative..?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's true. Ask Panthers fans.

Oh I did already:

Erik Gudbranson as a Florida Panther

Speaking for myself, I remember him for a few hits. I remember how bad he was defensively and offensively. I remember how he made the Forsberg for Erat trade a total waste for the Caps, that was pretty neat.

I was stoked when Guds got the boot, he will never that solid defensive dman which half of the ppl here thinks he already is.

Great guy. Crappy hockey player. Glad he's gone.

I like him. I’ve always liked him. He reminds me of the hockey I remember watching growing up. Unfortunately the NHL has turned into Disney on ice and that’s not his game.

He's never been better than a bottom pairing defenseman but somehow duped Dale Tallon into believing he's a tough-as-nails, stay-at-home type guy.

etc.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This
I'd rather we paid that 4 mill to a defense man that brings something offensively or defensively.
He has for this contract/season.
A lot of teams don't have a dman that can step up like he has in the absence of their top pairing.
If they do, they were definitely more highly regarded last yr than Gudbranson.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This

He has for this contract/season.
A lot of teams don't have a dman that can step up like he has in the absence of their top pairing.
If they do, they were definitely more highly regarded last yr than Gudbranson.

He has played his better games with us these last few weeks.
But I'm not fooled by a point streak in to thinking it has suddenly clicked for him.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Gudbranson is the type of player we should sell high on if there are interested teams at the deadline. He's like a slightly better version of Sbisa, who showed glimpses of playing great only to revert back to his old mistakes.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Gudbranson is the type of player we should sell high on if there are interested teams at the deadline. He's like a slightly better version of Sbisa, who showed glimpses of playing great only to revert back to his old mistakes.

The contract doesn't really enable that.

Im sure some teams wouldn't mind having him, even at 4 mil / year for a playoff run.
But to have him on the books until the end of 2020-21...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad