Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
IMO this trade confirms that Gionta will not be moved unless we are out of the playoffs at next year's deadline. We need to retain some veteran forwards to do the heavy lifting while the kids develop, and after Kaberle is gone we'll have plenty of cap space.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't think size is the issue with Ryder. He's a stocky man and he's got that face of a guy with muscle. It's just that he doesn't use it in a power forward manner. But he's a right winger, and one can hope he replaces Gio on the first line. Of course...he has to earn it first...

Robidas was saying on RDS that Ryder is really fit and in great shape.

Halifaxhab*

Ryder is prety solid, but he uses his size to protect and shield more than to hit.

I like this deal for both teams. For us though we get more of a sniper who will definately help the PP, and gain cap space and a 3rd rd pick.

Cole, he should help Dallas. But after all the talk of retirement and his slow start, his mind being elsewhere (likely for his kids and their future schooling) this makes sense.

I hope it really works out for us.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Cole was great, wanted him on the team for the playoffs. Woulda been fun. Not many 1st place teams trade a player like him. Slow start, so what. **** that. You want Michael Ryder? Add him to the team, or sign Andrei ****ing Kostitsyn. You wanna get rid of the contract, trade Cole in the offseason, he was coming around, and 4.5 isn't a noose.

Don't like it at all. Ignoring the fact that the production is the same, it's about the team. Cole was a big part of it. Brian Gionta is lucky he's the captain of the team. Can't trade your captain, although a way better move would be to keep Cole and move Gionta.

Welcome Ryder, hope he plays with Max-Pac and DD and shoots the puck all night long. But still, Cole was one of the good guys and I was really proud that he was a Hab. Feels too soon.

Did you miss the 1990s? :sarcasm:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
IMO this trade confirms that Gionta will not be moved unless we are out of the playoffs at next year's deadline. We need to retain some veteran forwards to do the heavy lifting while the kids develop, and after Kaberle is gone we'll have plenty of cap space.

Any cap relief from moving Gionta would probably be offset by issues in the room. With a relatively young team having guys like Gio Plekanec Gorges Prust around is very valuable. Plus Markov in terms of on ice presence.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011

Nobody would take Gionta anyway. A smal, slow, expensive non producing player.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Robidas was saying on RDS that Ryder is really fit and in great shape.

Usually that's the case for guys producing well in their 30's. Maybe cole lost that a bit this year, but no way he has the year he had and score 35 without being well conditionned.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
I don t understand why MB aka Rejean Houle would trade one of his leaders when the team is doing good? Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward off to a slow start ...who cares! he has 6PTS MP has 14 and Plek 13 wow (only in Montreal) The team has a chance to win now or at least had a chance to win. Who is next ...PK? he's already on the 3rd D line. (I miss Garbo and Gainey)

I don't think you got enough sleep lol

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
I like the trade. Cole was declining and still had 2 big years left. Ryder looks pretty good right now and can leave after this season if he or the Habs want.

Now to get rid of Gionta and Kaberle.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
We were in a rebuilding "phase" last year. If you think MB moves Ryder or Plerkanec before the deadline you are dreaming in colour.

I agree on Perry, if he hits the UFA market, his cap hit wiull end up above 7 mil, probably front loaded over 7 years. 52-55 mil over 7 years(10 10 8 8 8 6 5).

So rebuilding lasts only a year? i'm not saying they'll both be dealt at the deadline. But i maintain that getting a 2013 2nd round pick for Ryder at the deadline would be make the Cole deal even more interesting. Even tough i like him I'd prefer to give some quality time to the prospects next year than signing Ryder. So why not trading him?

As for Pleky he's currently at the top of his value. I can see a lot of established teams that'd be interested in his profile. With 3 years left at 5M per he wouldn't be part of a loan type deal. I truly hope for him to be dealt by the end of next year so we can get some young quality return.

We're certainly not contenders this year, neither will we be next year with Ryder if we sign him. I'm all for trading the Giontas, Plekys to bring some youngers assets and build around the Patchs, Gaclhys, Subbans and co.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
As a hawks fan I come in peace!

The way I see this,

Erik Cole was basically having a good time with his family this off season and almost was ready for retirement. ( by the sound bites on his interviews )

Micheal Ryder is a massive upgrade over a half hearted Erik Cole, he will be a good fit in your line up, as well as the ability to put up the points and rise to the occasion in big games.

The third round draft pick is like a cherry on top for Montreal in this situation as I'm sure you'll find Cole retiring this upcoming off season.

TheNuge

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Yup, sure does. I bought one on Saturday, none too pleased

Did you buy a jersey or a t-shirt?
Honestly though.. its never a good thing to buy a jersey of a rookie player. They nearly always change the number in the second season.

Mue

Oct 20, 2006
I hear the Canadiens have burned ALL videos of Gomez wearing number 11.

Sucks for the fans who bought a Gallagher 73 t-shirt or jersey (I was going to get one my self!)

A t-shirt I can understand, but do people really purchase jerseys that quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad