Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
Still having a hard time consuming this trade, but I am slowly starting to come around. I totally understand why they shipped out Cole if MB felt there was severe diminishing returns for the value he (Cole) commands, in that regard it's a great deal to get Ryder who has similar production. My dillema seems to be with the illusion of Cole more than Cole himself. I liked the sound of Cole on our team and what he could bring to our lineup with his game. But that was the "Cole of old", hard to believe there was a harsh drop off so quickly but he hasn't been the same player. I was not expecting 35 goals out of him, but I was expecting more intangibles like hard play and effort. None of that was really evident outside of small occasions. I wasn't a huge Ryder backer in his first go around, so it remains to be seen how this trade works out on the ice, but off the ice (salary wise) it's a huge win. Gonna refrain from judgement of this deal until we see what happens. I am optimistic and am hoping for the best!

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Only IF Perry and Getzlaf are asking way too much.
But...Perry is my #1 (love that he's a HAB fan...this should guarantee hopefully that he will play with passion/heart for the CH jersey...I really really hope because he's a HAB fan that he signs with us...maybe his agent already contacted bergevin?! Telling Bergevin to save some money for Perry:amazed::yo::amazed::naughty::p:).

Getzlaf...I don't like his slacker reputation but if the price is right...I'd take a chance for 3 seasons, but I question his heart.

Iginla for 2 years is not a bad consolation (could be better for 2 years VS what Gilmour gave us...and Gilmour gave us something).
I'd just save him for the playoffs! whatever gas he has left in the tank! (I wouldn't get him for 3-4 years...but that's what he'll probably ask for...3 would be the max for Iginla...definitely not getting younger especially for the way he plays).
Getzlaf would never sign a 3 years contract lol rumours are that hes wife wants to stay in Anaheim but if he decides to hit the market,u could be sure he will sign a big long 6/7/8/9 year contract just like every other big player hitting UFA

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Habs needed a winger that could shoot the puck. They have some nice playmakers but were seriously lacking a pure shooter to go with them. The PP , despite early success, has been very poor lately and really lacks a trigger man. Hopefully Ryder can be that guy.

Cole is also a shooter...but Ryder is a better PP guy.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm stunned to see so many people here praising for Perry to come this summer. Seems like this season we're playing above expectations is lightning a bit much of fire.

Don't forget that we're still in a rebuilding phase. This is why Bergevin was brought with so many player personnal (Lapointe, Brisebois, Dudley...). this is why we're compeling so many draft picks to raise a core groupe of young players to grow together and reach their prime together. Add to that some gritty veterans à la Moen, Prust, Gorges and you have our plan for future.

I truly hope for Pleky to be traded in a faire deal in which we'd welcome a prospect and a draft pick.

And Bergevin would be a god to me if he'd trade Ryder at the deadline of a 2nd round pick.

So guys, you can always hope for it, we'll never ever sign a 28yo Corey Perry this summer for 6M+ a year!

We were in a rebuilding "phase" last year. If you think MB moves Ryder or Plerkanec before the deadline you are dreaming in colour.

I agree on Perry, if he hits the UFA market, his cap hit wiull end up above 7 mil, probably front loaded over 7 years. 52-55 mil over 7 years(10 10 8 8 8 6 5).

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
2 things to remember when breaking down this trade.

1- Erik Cole can be a dominating player. He was for us last year. How quickly we all forget. This guy was just amazing last year. Fearless.

2- We picked up a 3rd rd pick in this years draft. This is a great draft year and with Timmins' history this pick has a good chance to turn into a substantial prospect.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
What are the chance of resigning Ryder at 3m or under if he perform well? Is he the type of player always looking for more cash ala Jagr?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What are the chance of resigning Ryder at 3m or under if he perform well? Is he the type of player always looking for more cash ala Jagr?

Since he left Montreal he signed 3 years in Boston and left the Cup winning team for 2 years in Dallas. Seems to me like he does think of cash and short term to keep cashing in as UFA. Well see not sure he sticks around though

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com

Ryder seems to be the type who scores 30+ goals many years without ever getting that big payday since he appears to keep having to prove himself to people. So he gets paid like a pseudo-30 goal scorer that will never make the 4.5+mill a season that most 30 goal scorers get.

tritone

Aug 26, 2003
Laval
Visit site
I guess they know what they are doing. He was probably really out of shape because he was involved in those meetings. Maybe he was bad in the room too, who knows.

But I'd rather have Cole than Ryder come playoff time. We just spent a decade trying to upgrade on size in the top 6, now we are back to square one.

Cole ( 6"2 )in Playoffs :
43 Games - 14 points = Avg PPG 0.3

Ryder ( 6"1 ) in Playoffs :
70 Games - 43 points = Avg PPG 0.6

I hardly think 1 inch is a huge size difference, it's not like we traded Chara for Desharnais. We also acquired Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon to address the toughness issue so, we're a far cry from being the "smurfs" of yesteryears.

As for playoff time, I believe 0.6 is greater than 0.3 but that might just be my horrible math skills.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
IMO Cole has been playing better than most posters think this season. Odds are he'll start producing offense again in Dallas.

However, when we sign a veteran, get the best season of his contract, then trade the risky years and get assets in return... it's easy to like the situation. I think moving the end years of his contract was a good bet by Bergevin. Now we have some extra space to pursue Perry or another impact forward, or a top 3 dman to eventually replace Markov

Reactions: donghabs98

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If he keeps producing at his current/2011-2012 pace(41-35-76 in 101 games) I can't see him only getting 3 mil/year unless it's on a 6-7 year "cap friendly" deal.

The PA Parenteau(3 years 4 mil/year) should be his starting point. If really loves the Habs, maybe you sign him at 11.5 over 3(3.83 AAV, 2 mil bonus plus 3.5 mil then 3 mil and 3 mil).

He is a hard guy to gauge as his production has had big gains or drops during his career...07-08 -27, 08-09 +22, 09-10 -20, 11-12 +21.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Cole ( 6"2 )in Playoffs :
43 Games - 14 points = Avg PPG 0.3

Ryder ( 6"1 ) in Playoffs :
70 Games - 43 points = Avg PPG 0.6

I hardly think 1 inch is a huge size difference, it's not like we traded Chara for Desharnais. We also acquired Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon to address the toughness issue so, we're a far cry from being the "smurfs" of yesteryears.

As for playoff time, I believe 0.6 is greater than 0.3 but that might just be my horrible math skills.

Where did you source their heights? Wikipedia and the NHL site both put Cole at 6'2" and Ryder at 6'0".

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Since he left Montreal he signed 3 years in Boston and left the Cup winning team for 2 years in Dallas. Seems to me like he does think of cash and short term to keep cashing in as UFA. Well see not sure he sticks around though
Well, he left Montreal because he was so deep in the doghouse that he was never getting out of it, and he had a chance to go play with Julien again, with whom he gets along quite well. He puts up good numbers for a second-line player so long as you know what to expect from him; he's not a power forward so don't expect him to be out there clearing space for others, for example. I always liked having him here so I'm not busted up about this deal, especially since it greatly helps next year's cap situation.

Cole played great hockey for us last year and is to be thanked for that and wished well. His head hasn't been in the game this year, but he's certainly capable of bouncing back next year for the Stars.

This feels like a win for us. Not a big win, but a win.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Cole was great, wanted him on the team for the playoffs. Woulda been fun. Not many 1st place teams trade a player like him. Slow start, so what. **** that. You want Michael Ryder? Add him to the team, or sign Andrei ****ing Kostitsyn. You wanna get rid of the contract, trade Cole in the offseason, he was coming around, and 4.5 isn't a noose.

Don't like it at all. Ignoring the fact that the production is the same, it's about the team. Cole was a big part of it. Brian Gionta is lucky he's the captain of the team. Can't trade your captain, although a way better move would be to keep Cole and move Gionta.

Welcome Ryder, hope he plays with Max-Pac and DD and shoots the puck all night long. But still, Cole was one of the good guys and I was really proud that he was a Hab. Feels too soon.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Over their career so far the average season for each player:

Perry..........30 goals........67 points
Ryder.........25 goals.........51 points
Cole...........22 goals........45 points

I have a question for the posters who are claiming that Bergevin made this trade for cap space.

Which player is the best bang for your buck?

Perry at 7.5 - 8 million
Ryder at 4 million (let's say we sign Ryder next year)
Cole at 4.5 million

If you're assembling a national team yes I can see going after the best player for the role and position. But if you're plugging together a NHL team in a cap league Perry doesn't look like such a great deal.

I understand you don't evaluate a player solely on his stats.. But is Perry really worth twice the money that Ryder is?

The Rangers should be a lesson to the rest of the league with their 3 ridiculous big contracts (Nash, Richards, Gaborik)

An average of 30 goals over 7 seasons of play is pretty good in the NHL. Add the fact that he's 6'3'', and you've got one of the best wingers in the league.

Also, Perry is going to get this kind of money anyway by an other team. I personnaly wouldn't mind overpaying for him and build a solid core of Perry, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Subban and Price.

Again, my very personnal dream would be Iginla. I know he's getting old and all, but remember that he doesn't get much help in Calgary in term of talent. He's what this team has lack for so long: a big, intimidating forward that scores.

MORE: Obviously this is all speculations, but with the way Bergevin has been clearing capspace you'd think he's well awared of the upcoming UFA's.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Ryder plays right wing, right? That's perfect. Gionta is so terrible that Ryder SHOULD replace him and give Pleks a guy with SOME finish and isn't totally washed up.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I don't think size is the issue with Ryder. He's a stocky man and he's got that face of a guy with muscle. It's just that he doesn't use it in a power forward manner. But he's a right winger, and one can hope he replaces Gio on the first line. Of course...he has to earn it first...

PM23

Sep 27, 2009
Ottawa
Always hard to digest a trade when the team is doing so well... you never want to break the chemistry in the locker room. Hard to tell whether Ryder will have a better impact than Cole. Either way, I think the 3rd round pick tips the trade in Montreal's favor.

In terms of non-hockey for Cole though, I don't imagine he's all that upset. Although I'm sure he'll miss the guys in Montreal, moving to Dallas, paying less income taxes (significantly less), moving the family to a warm climate, finish your career in a low key market...

Either way, I did appreciate watching him play... skating down that right wing, cutting around the D-man and crashing the net!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad