Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
bergeron_patrice_mouthopen.jpg

Are you sure?

Bah

The Bruins are all the same to me :)

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Add Kaberle to the scrap pile and we have $16.9M in cap space with 15 players signed going into next season. That gives you wiggle room to tinker with your lineup. If you wanted to you can add Gionta to that list and have even more maneuvering room.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I like Not love the trade. We all know Ryder can shoot and is selfish. Last time he was here he wasn't passing and was expected to put up 1st line stats. As long as we don't depend on Ryder for scoring we should be ok. Don't expect Ryder to throw his body around or plant himself in front of the net.

Here's my breakdown of the players

-Ryder > Cole in shooting/sniping
-Cole > Ryder in size and speed
-Ryder 2 years younger and last year of contract, Cole 2 more years
This isn't a blockbuster trade, its just a trade for the future. We freed up Cole's $9 mil, Dallas keeps an asset. Somewhere we manage to grab a 3rd round pick in what is a very deep draft year.

We use that 3rd rounder to pick Jordan Subban.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Here's a quiz for you guys :

Ryder has played with 7 players that are currently wearing the Habs uniform (I exclude members of the staff like Brisebois). Can you name them on the top of your head, without cheating?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Haha fair enough. Wouldn't mind seeing Gallagher rock #11 again. Someone needs to bring respect back to that jersey.
I could definitely see Gallagher giving up #73 for Ryder.

I think the most likely scenario is #37 going to Ryder though.

Ryder has played with 7 players that are currently wearing the Habs uniform (I exclude members of the staff like Brisebois). Can you name them on the top of your head, without cheating?
Bouillon
Markov
Kaberle
Price
Gorges
Plekanec

and... Nokelainen?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011

Price
Plekanec
Boullion
Markov
Gorges
Kaberle

TheBabysitter*

Bouillon
Markov
Price
Gorges
Plekanec

2008-2009 on the Bruins with Nokelainen, Kaberle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Cole in playoffs = ZERO
Cole last year:handclap:...loved the acquisition, until...I saw his playoffs stats:help:, and didn't like his bitter face yapping about how he didn't like the new CBA...what a ****ing bitter killjoy...we were all happy that hockey came back and Cole was complaining:cry:

And, really like that 3rd Rnd Pick (Gallagher was a 5th Rnd pick...good things could happen with that 3rd Pick:handclap:)

Ryder is UFA (pressure on him to play well)...and no more Cole's slow starts/slacking/coasting and high salary:yo:...this could mean we're going after a BIG ONE during summer (Perry? Iginla? Getzlaf? Montoya?!).

Cole in playoffs = ZERO
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1838
Cole in regular season = usually very solid (but not when it counts)

Ryder = ok/cold/good/very good/hot in regular season and usually good/very good in playoffs
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1058

Last edited:

TheBabysitter*

Cole in playoffs = ZERO
Cole last year:handclap:...loved the acquisition, until...I saw his playoffs stats:help:, and didn't like his bitter face yapping about how he didn't like the new CBA...what a ****ing bitter killjoy...we were all happy that hockey came back and Cole was complaining:cry:

And, really like that 3rd Rnd Pick (Gallagher was a 5th Rnd pick...good things could happen with that 3rd Pick:handclap:)

Ryder is UFA (pressure on him to play well)...and no more Cole's slow starts/slacking/coasting and high salary:yo:...this could mean we're going after a BIG ONE during summer (Perry? Iginla? Getzlaf? Montoya?!).

Cole in playoffs = ZERO
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1838
Cole in regular season = usually very solid (but not when it counts)

Ryder = ok/cold/good/very good/hot in regular season and usually good/very good in playoffs

No Iginla please, too old. I'd get Perry.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
No Iginla please, too old. I'd get Perry.

Only IF Perry and Getzlaf are asking way too much.
But...Perry is my #1 (love that he's a HAB fan...this should guarantee hopefully that he will play with passion/heart for the CH jersey...I really really hope because he's a HAB fan that he signs with us...maybe his agent already contacted bergevin?! Telling Bergevin to save some money for Perry:amazed::yo::amazed::naughty::p:).

Getzlaf...I don't like his slacker reputation but if the price is right...I'd take a chance for 3 seasons, but I question his heart.

Iginla for 2 years is not a bad consolation (could be better for 2 years VS what Gilmour gave us...and Gilmour gave us something).
I'd just save him for the playoffs! whatever gas he has left in the tank! (I wouldn't get him for 3-4 years...but that's what he'll probably ask for...3 would be the max for Iginla...definitely not getting younger especially for the way he plays).

PricePkPatch*

I don't support the people saying "good riddance" and other insults at Cole. He was a great benefit to this team, and he even started turning around on his struggling play.

I am sure Dallas will enjoy him there. He's due for a hot streak. And I hope the best for him

Now, Ryder back. He annoyed me a bit at the end of his tenure with the Habs, but I heard he turned his ethics around and became a hard worker. I have no reason to hold any grudges, and I hope he'll fit well with Eller and the rest of the team.

The extra cap flexibility, I made a new thread to discuss it already.

Overall, im happy with this trade even if I am sad to see Cole go. Since we are all playing much, much more aggressive forechecks, I suspect his presence was marginally less essential than last year. Plus, im sadly admitting he wasn't rushing the net as much as he should have. Bourque, Patch, Prust and Gallagher are pulling off the Power Forward mentality much better this year.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I totally agree!!! but i wished we went for it this year! time will tell if MB had the vision.

I'm a Cole fan (good hitter, classy, power forward) but not of his complaining (about retirement, CBA, Montreal schools,etc,etc) and slacker ways...especially at the salary he's making...no matter slacking in the NHL is a no-no in my books.

Have you seen his playoff stats?
He's Mr.Invisible.
Going for it? Maybe we're going for it more with ryder...Ryder surprisingly has good playoff stats.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I can point to one play that for sure helped in the decision to trade Cole.
I forgot which game exactly but does anybody remember a goal about a week ago maybe a bit more when the opposing player skates right passed Cole who was standing about 5 feet in front of Price, and yes it was this player that scored on a good pass for the corner.
Cole did not move, did not lift a finger to chase or stick check or ANYTHING, he just let the guy do everything for free.
I does not matter if Cole knew what was happening and did not care or that Cole standing 5 ft from Price in a perfect position to stop the player, his mind was NOT IN THE GAME. This is what has been the E.Cole this year. NOT IN THE GAME. Add to this, Cole had a NTC, if he really wanted to stay here he would have. For whatever reason, It's Cole that gave up on the Habs not the reverse. Who the heck knows, maybe it's the wife that demanded this trade due to the Quebec thing.
We don't know what, So MB does his best to get something back and well he did get quite a bit back. MB has added to his war chest both with money and hands Mr. Timmons what he likes best in a really good draft year. Now is anybody interested in Kaberle for a 3 round pick????
If MB pulls this off WOW just WOW...........

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
now we need Ribeiro back :naughty:

Ribeiro????? No ****ing way:help:.

And then what? Dagenais and then Theodore????
**** that Three Amigo ****.
Finished. Time to move on. Excited about Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis,etc...

Pleks (solid with defensive tasks during playoffs...need that)
Galchenyuk
Eller

------- ------
DD? (crafty but only 5'5- 5'6...would love to get taller/bigger...but I'd still like to keep DD but for cheap or very cheap only).
Leblanc (winger/center...good for top 9 C depth)

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The Habs needed a winger that could shoot the puck. They have some nice playmakers but were seriously lacking a pure shooter to go with them. The PP , despite early success, has been very poor lately and really lacks a trigger man. Hopefully Ryder can be that guy.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
1. It would be hard for Ryder to be worse than Cole was this season and especially in the last few games. Cole was a liability and was the worst player on the team, excluding the 4th line (who still have been helping the team more than Cole in a few games).

2. Cleared up money on the cap for the next 2 years.

3. These two things alone are good. Got 3rd pick on top of it.

Those are legit points...I just don't like the idea of basing everything on "so far this year". Just because a guy has a bad start doesn't mean he'll play bad all year. He had a strong game just on Saturday and hit the crossbar Monday and also ran over Methot with a big hit. His play was going in the right direction.

Everybody was throwing Bourque under the bus last year for a poor 2nd half and would have given him away for free this summer, so far this year he's been a very productive player and has a nice cap hit.

If Bourque comes back within 10-14 days then he replaces a lot of the corner work and net drive Cole gives but if he misses a long time then you lose a lot of size and skill. Ryder is still skilled but doesn't bring the net drive or physical play in the corners.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
I'm stunned to see so many people here praising for Perry to come this summer. Seems like this season we're playing above expectations is lightning a bit much of fire.

Don't forget that we're still in a rebuilding phase. This is why Bergevin was brought with so many player personnal (Lapointe, Brisebois, Dudley...). this is why we're compeling so many draft picks to raise a core groupe of young players to grow together and reach their prime together. Add to that some gritty veterans à la Moen, Prust, Gorges and you have our plan for future.

I truly hope for Pleky to be traded in a faire deal in which we'd welcome a prospect and a draft pick.

And Bergevin would be a god to me if he'd trade Ryder at the deadline of a 2nd round pick.

So guys, you can always hope for it, we'll never ever sign a 28yo Corey Perry this summer for 6M+ a year!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Over their career so far the average season for each player:

Perry..........30 goals........67 points
Ryder.........25 goals.........51 points
Cole...........22 goals........45 points

I have a question for the posters who are claiming that Bergevin made this trade for cap space.

Which player is the best bang for your buck?

Perry at 7.5 - 8 million
Ryder at 4 million (let's say we sign Ryder next year)
Cole at 4.5 million

If you're assembling a national team yes I can see going after the best player for the role and position. But if you're plugging together a NHL team in a cap league Perry doesn't look like such a great deal.

I understand you don't evaluate a player solely on his stats.. But is Perry really worth twice the money that Ryder is?

The Rangers should be a lesson to the rest of the league with their 3 ridiculous big contracts (Nash, Richards, Gaborik)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad