Confirmed with Link: Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
You do not trade a character player for a sniper. If Ryder doesn't score he offers what? grit-no toughness -no veteran leadership-no Defence- no game changing momentum -maybe aggressiveness no this is why he was ran out of town.

Please O mighty troll, get back under your bridge :sarcasm:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
6773239926_a3a717d81b.jpg

I once said he looked a bit like heath ledger and everyone looked at me funny.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
You do not trade a character player for a sniper. If Ryder doesn't score he offers what? grit-no toughness -no veteran leadership-no Defence- no game changing momentum -maybe aggressiveness no this is why he was ran out of town.

Define character player, really.

The type of character who ponders retirement openly?

The type of character who admits they haven't been putting in their maximum effort?

The type of character who lacks commitment to training in the offseason?

Too many question marks, too much money on too many years, not enough performance.

Last edited:

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Bergevin made a good trade given the situation. As much as I liked Cole's power forward style of play last year, both his on-ice and off-ice actions this year were legitimate concerns.

Let's face it, Cole played like crap this season. He looks terribly out-of-shape, often falls on the ice for no reason, his play looks uninspired, rarely makes the effort to drive to the net anymore and looks totally gased out after only a 30 seconds shift. Despite the bad play and slow start, Therrien still gave Cole many chances to redeem himself but it failed. He was often used in crucial PP situations despite the fact that he did not deserve that playing time. Him being utilized during that 4 on 3 last night against Ottawa in OT was another example of that. After 19 games, there is a legitimate concern to believe that it's not simply a slow start.

His comments about retiring and expressed concerns about his children's high-school situation here in Montreal should not be taken lightly. Those are signs that suggest he would not have been totally happy playing here next year and that perhaps part of him wanted out. Cole's state-of-mind was not exactly pure and that is one of the reasons why he got traded. Not that he doesn't like Montreal, he simply realized during the lock-out that his family was his #1 priority and staying here would not have been best for them. Not wanting to be here after this season is something that Cole will not openly say out of respect, but his comments reflected that and Bergevin knew what was going on.

Keeping Cole represented a risk for the team with the way he was playing, especially with two more years left on his contract at not a cheap salary. It's easier to trade an aging, struggling and potentially overpaid player when he's coming off a career year and when your team is winning and sitting 1st in the conference. Given the uncertainty surrounding Cole, Bergevin got a fair return in Ryder, who has been playing some pretty good hockey in Dallas and managed to add a 3rd round draft pick. He basically unloaded a contract that was on the verge of becoming a burden with the way Cole has played and the guy's "apparent but not so apparent" desire to leave Montreal next year.

Although Ryder is not the most complete player and can be streaky, he has a lethal right-handed shot and has the tendency to score clutch goals. The Cole of last year is no doubt a better player than Ryder. However, we do not live in the past and Ryder is undeniably an upgrade over the Cole of this year. Time to move on guys.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Big fan of this trade. Unlike a few posters, I actually think it improves the team right now. And it's clear MB is looking forward with this deal. Doesn't see us as a cup contender this year (who knows what happens when playoffs come around) but MB is planning for the glory years to come and this move is for that reason. Love it.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
I agree i am a little harsh but as a former player Cole is the type of guy i would want to go to battle with win or lose. He has that grit that the habs need.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Losing "size" and "grit". Please, the only thing we're really trading is a player that rushes to the net, for a sniper. Ryder has thrown good body checks, while Cole doesn't really deliver good checks. Cole could fight along the boards, sure, probably better than Ryder, but probably not by much. 2 inches and about 10lbs won't change much for size... It's not as if Cole actually used his size in such ways that helped DD move around.

Neither are great defensively, neither will be used on the PK. They were both used for the offense and the PP.

On a line such as Patch-DD-Ryder, you'll have the power forward in Max, rushing the net. DD being the play maker. And Ryder being the sniper.

This move makes sense for other reasons as well.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
1. It would be hard for Ryder to be worse than Cole was this season and especially in the last few games. Cole was a liability and was the worst player on the team, excluding the 4th line (who still have been helping the team more than Cole in a few games).

2. Cleared up money on the cap for the next 2 years.

3. These two things alone are good. Got 3rd pick on top of it.

Last edited:

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Big fan of this trade. Unlike a few posters, I actually think it improves the team right now. And it's clear MB is looking forward with this deal. Doesn't see us as a cup contender this year (who knows what happens when playoffs come around) but MB is planning for the glory years to come and this move is for that reason. Love it.

Doesn't see us as a cup contender
habs 86....habs 93..LA Kings 2012

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Define character player, really.

The type of character who ponders retirement openly?

The type of character who admits they haven't been putting in their maximum effort?

The type of character who lacks commitment to training in the offseason?

Too many question marks, too much money on too many years, not enough performance.

watch the games and stop watching shows like L antichambre.

Nothing wrong with Ryder but not for Cole not for me! good night folks.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
I don t understand why MB aka Rejean Houle would trade one of his leaders when the team is doing good? Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward off to a slow start ...who cares! he has 6PTS MP has 14 and Plek 13 wow (only in Montreal) The team has a chance to win now or at least had a chance to win. Who is next ...PK? he's already on the 3rd D line. (I miss Garbo and Gainey)

euro

Feb 13, 2013
i love that trade, and i love that bergevin did not wait all season to trade cole. eric was not even close to be the player he was last year and maybe we would not had something like ryder and a pick for a guy that was playing very bad this season. eric cole was invisible so far except for a few check there and there ... ryder is sure going to be invisible some night but a least, with one shot he can change the game cause he has a wicked wrist shot !

Dec 2, 2010
Nah Cole was coming around a bit with the physical play and improved net presence. Ryder has been hot lately but we know how streaky he is. Still one of the best wrist shots.

Really it's a fair trade.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
the fact that some of you are complaining about this trade is messed. We traded a bad contract for a better player with a better contract, period.

Dec 2, 2010
The only maybe (and far-fetched) downside is that this may deter some UFAs from signing here without a NTC... but then again, these are handed out like candy these days.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I definitely think there is more to the story then simply a hockey trade.

I dont think it was about improving Montreal. If it was a hockey trade it was about cap relief in the off season while not overly hurting the current roster. Still believe there is more to it and management didnt like Coles impact on the current roster. Its rare you would see a teams who has started how Montreal has, make this move unless they felt it necessary going forward.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
watch the games and stop watching shows like L antichambre.

Nothing wrong with Ryder but not for Cole not for me! good night folks.

You bring up interesting points, but don't compare Houle to Bergevin. You won't gain any credibility that way.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
Not even mad. In fact, I'm glad. Ryder's a UFA at the end of the season, so we'll have room to manoeuver in terms of signings, which we wouldn't have otherwise if we had Cole. Plus, Ryder is playing like a pure beast right now, unlike someone we know. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad