Speculation: Erik Cole thinking about retirement?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The media deserves absolutely nothing in this city. In fact, I get a large smile on my face every time Markov ****s with them. The Montreal media has been one of the catalysts for why the team has performed so poorly over the past two decades. They go where they don't belong. They drum up controversial stories where there are none. They consistently lead campaigns against young up-and-coming players on the Habs and they are extremely prejudiced against anything European while being down-right blind in their crusade to have the team almost entirely francophone.

You are clearly exagerating. The "crusade" of an entire franco team is lead by JC Lajoie and Réjean Tremblay. The rest would want a better presence. Nothing wrong with that. Then....who ran which campaign against which players? And then, the problem with your analysis of Markov and the journalists is that Markov indirectly tells the fans that keeps cheering for him all the time, that they don't deserve to hear from him. If the media's goal is to get some crazy rants or statements from Markov well they are getting it. If t heir goal is to make Markov look like the bad guy....well they succeed. But in the end, it's the fans who can't have Markov statement about his knee or other topics like that.

Cole talks about retirement. Press mentions it. The day a journalist invent a quote, then blame the journalist. Not the whole media.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You are clearly exagerating. The "crusade" of an entire franco team is lead by JC Lajoie and Réjean Tremblay. The rest would want a better presence. Nothing wrong with that. Then....who ran which campaign against which players? And then, the problem with your analysis of Markov and the journalists is that Markov indirectly tells the fans that keeps cheering for him all the time, that they don't deserve to hear from him. If the media's goal is to get some crazy rants or statements from Markov well they are getting it. If t heir goal is to make Markov look like the bad guy....well they succeed. But in the end, it's the fans who can't have Markov statement about his knee or other topics like that.

Was it JC Lajoie and Rejean Tremblay who snuck into Koivu's hospital room? There is clearly more to blame than just JC Lajoie and Rejean Tremblay. It's not entirely the francophone media either. Was it Jack Todd? Who had his weekly columns disparaging Carey Price?

Edit: And it's up to Markov whether or not he wants to disclose the status of his knee. I would get dry and sarcastic too if I was constantly being harassed to answer the same question day after day.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Eric Cole is probably playing with the media just to have a laugh. He is clearly a guy that likes having fun and we saw that many times last year. He probably gets a kick out of the whole craziness that is the Montreal hockey media and was just yanking a few chains. He will play and play well for us again this year, he wanted to come here or he would have signed elsewhere. He did make a few comments during the lockout that ruffled a few feathers but I am willing to cut him some slack for that, the guy is not Sean Avery, relax people. :)

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
I am lost as to what your point is.

All of those players listed are non-francophone players who have had campaigns led against them by the Montreal Media. Which is exactly my point.

All are/were fan and media favorites. Benoit Brunet is not the only journalist/analyst in Québec you know?

Cole talks about retirement. Press mentions it. The day a journalist invent a quote, then blame the journalist. Not the whole media.

One quick comment regarding Markov... most if not all the media reactions to his interview was positive. The general consensus seems to be that it was funny. Did I miss something?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All are/were fan and media favorites. Benoit Brunet is not the only journalist/analyst in Québec you know?

Emelin was always villified for staying in Russia.
Markov is villified as some heartless Russian who doesn't care about anything but collecting cold cash.
Kovalev was an enigma. The city and media loved him as much as they hated him.
Halak was beloved by the city only because it became so polarized in the Price vs. Halak debate.
Plekanec consistently gets bashed.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
#Habs Cole told me tonight he didn't intend for his CBA beliefs to overshadow "new era of this team;" wishes it wasn't a topic at all

Hey Erik, YOU made it a topic.

Really Eric??? When the Habs where the only team that would pony up more dollars and term that you deserved, was that a sacrifice? Seems to me that he is looking to get traded, comments about education and sacrifice are red flags. And what sour puss.

Seriously using the term pro to define some hockey players is somewhat a stretch. And the NHLPA wonders why they don't get more sympathy for the players.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Markov is villified as some heartless Russian who doesn't care about anything but collecting cold cash.
Halak was beloved by the city only because it became so polarized in the Price vs. Halak debate.

I like reading your prospects related posts but, as usual when you start with your French thing, I disagree with all of the above! I strongly suggest that you start reading/watching Mathias Brunet, Danny Dubé, Martin McGuire, François Gagnon, Renaud Lavoie, Stéphane Leroux...

EDIT: back to topic... it is not the media's fault: Cole only has himself to blame.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like reading your prospects related posts but I disagree with all of the above! I strongly suggest that you start reading/watching Mathias Brunet, Danny Dubé, Martin McGuire, François Gagnon, Renaud Lavoie...

Don't paint my comments with one brush that I intended to say that every member of the media is the devil. There are some good columnists out there who do their job the right way and intend to put their best foot forward. However, there are a plethora of journalists in the city that treat the team like a soap opera and execute poor judgment in how they go about doing their job. The Koivu picture of him in the hospital, the darkest day in Habs history, the Halak vs. Price crusades, Carbonneau's finger, are just a few examples of the media being extremely detrimental to the team. In most other markets (save the Leafs) you don't see such rabid stupidity through most (not all) the journalists.

Even if it is a select few francophone journalists who lead the Habs-francophone movement. They prey on the culture of francophone pride that exists in the province which tends to put pressure on the organization to appease them rather than do what is best for the team first and foremost. The responsibility for this, of course, doesn't solely fall on the journalists, they have a right to believe what they want to believe, it is up to management and the organization to ignore the outside pressures, to focus solely on building a competitive and winning team.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Was it JC Lajoie and Rejean Tremblay who snuck into Koivu's hospital room? There is clearly more to blame than just JC Lajoie and Rejean Tremblay. It's not entirely the francophone media either. Was it Jack Todd? Who had his weekly columns disparaging Carey Price?

Edit: And it's up to Markov whether or not he wants to disclose the status of his knee. I would get dry and sarcastic too if I was constantly being harassed to answer the same question day after day.

There are other cases. But this is a Media frenzy in Montreal just like tons of other sports cities as well. And to make it worst, we're not a sport city....we're a hockey city. As a matter of fact, we're a Habs city, with all the journalists covering it. So yes...things will go out of hand. And I already said that as a bunch, we do not have the best journalists out there in general. But to point out that everybody has their agenda of francos and against the other up and coming players, I repeat that it is an exageration.

And what Markov is forgetting is that the same question is being asked 'cause there are never answers given. You give that answer once, chances are you do not have to repeat yourself that much. You keep "next questioning".....you will have to repeat till you say something. How hard is it really to say that the knee is still in place, that you don't feel pain at all and that everything is back to normal EVEN if it might not be true.

One quick comment regarding Markov... most if not all the media reactions to his interview was positive. The general consensus seems to be that it was funny. Did I miss something?

Well, I will say that they are calling it "funny" for the sake of not calling it something else.

Emelin was villified from tons of people around here. And frankly, since I've already mentioned that we don't have the greatest hockey journalists around here...who the heck had any notion that we had a Emelin in Russia to begin with? Problem with Emelin, if you remember, is that he often said that he was coming....and never did. Did you get any other criticisms with all the other russians that never came? Kovalev...not sure which media hated him....pretty sure the hate was in this board. Halak was loved 'cause he was doing the job compared to Price. People always love the underdog, not only in this city. And Plekanec gets bashed....well let just say that people keeps saying what was said about Koivu. That he's not really a #1 centerman, which in the end might be true. But bashed by the media? On the contrary, I keep hearing how he's a model of determination. That having him as the #1 centerman might not be ideal, but he'd do great as #2.

Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

Great news.

As much as I like Cole, he is not on a near to be stanley cup team. I prefer high draft picks and suffering than 9th - 12th place finish.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
#Habs Cole told me tonight he didn't intend for his CBA beliefs to overshadow "new era of this team;" wishes it wasn't a topic at all

Hey Erik, YOU made it a topic.

And that statement might be even worse. He's either incredibly dumb. Or just has no clue what this market is all about. He wishes it wasn't a topic yet, talk to a JOURNALIST, on the record, and tells him that one of the Habs best player last year might retire in 1 year while still having 2 years to his contract.

But hey, be dumb and score 20 goals this year and it will be fine.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Great, so every freakin Habs player should be thinking about their family and want out? This guy agreed with a 4-year contract with the obligation that it holds.

Yeah, especially that obligation which stipulates that he cannot, under any conditions, retire before the end.

The owners must have their pound of flesh.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Yeah, especially that obligation which stipulates that he cannot, under any conditions, retire before the end.

The owners must have their pound of flesh.

But of course he can. Just like I have no obligations of liking it if he does either. Especially when it's not about a guy "not having it" anymore but about a guy voicing his displeasure over that bad bad league he's playing it that with this new CBC is about to steal his money. I guess we could have a telethon for him. Don't look but most of the time that a guy retires.....it's just about the fact that he can't play in the league anymore. And usually both sides agrees with this. Now, you have a guy who still has it...who still can contribute. And not only that but his open comment, unless Cole reassures everybody that it was a trade technique, will give Bergevin a harder job to sell Cole at the deadline and get the best he can since his new team will have to face with his "retirement".

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I find it funny how these veteran professionals are supposed to be the leaders here, yet guys like PK have handled this lockout with way more maturity. The more I hear Cole talk, the less I think of him as a person. He's well within his rights to retire, but I'm afraid he's just blowing smoke still.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
But of course he can. Just like I have no obligations of liking it if he does either. Especially when it's not about a guy "not having it" anymore but about a guy voicing his displeasure over that bad bad league he's playing it that with this new CBC is about to steal his money. I guess we could have a telethon for him.

You don't have to like it. Just don't pretend like not liking it is particularly justified. Cole doesn't owe you anything. You paid whatever money you did towards his contract, and he scored 35 goals for you last year.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
With the new CBA, if Coles retired does $$$ count on the cap?

It would not.

Cole scored 35 goals last year and was the major force on our best line. If he retires I fully expect to miss the playoffs unless someone comes out of left field (Eller, Bourque)

He wouldn't retire now. After the season. Unless you meant for 2013-14...

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I find it funny how these veteran professionals are supposed to be the leaders here, yet guys like PK have handled this lockout with way more maturity. The more I hear Cole talk, the less I think of him as a person. He's well within his rights to retire, but I'm afraid he's just blowing smoke still.

Lol, what would you describe him as? Vermin?

I agree with Louis CK on this: there's no room for perspective in the English language anymore. Anything we describe, we have to go straight to the top rung, without any thought to the validity of that description. From what should be "I don't particularly agree with what he said there," to "I don't think of him as a person."

Boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Myron Gaines*

Lol, what would you describe him as? Vermin?

I agree with Louis CK on this: there's no room for perspective in the English language anymore. Anything we describe, we have to go straight to the top rung, without any thought to the validity of that description. From what should be "I don't particularly agree with what he said there," to "I don't think of him as a person."

Boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

ol'd at this 'cause it's so true:laugh:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You don't have to like it. Just don't pretend like not liking it is particularly justified. Cole doesn't owe you anything. You paid whatever money you did towards his contract, and he scored 35 goals for you last year.

What kind of explanation is this? We, not me I know, but as part as the Habs nation...., gave him a 4-year contract. Did anybody expected him to retire at year 2? And when we did, is he part of the plan? Did we have to think about getting a player to replace him in year 3 or were we concentrating in improving somewhere else since we had him at that position? Are we fine to see Kovalchuck staying in Russia 'cause he doesn't owe anybody anything?

CanadaIsHockey

Apr 8, 2008
Laval, Qc. Canada
Oh, by the way Mr. Cole, if your daughter is going to French school and has learned some of the language, here's a good college for her, internationally renowned.

http://www.reginaassumpta.qc.ca/default.asp

LOL so did not expect this.

I went to that high school. Started in 96, 1st year they allowed guys in that school. We were 94 guys in Sec 1(7th grade) for 1,900 girls in the school.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What kind of explanation is this? We, not me I know, but as part as the Habs nation...., gave him a 4-year contract. Did anybody expected him to retire at year 2? And when we did, is he part of the plan? Did we have to think about getting a player to replace him in year 3 or were we concentrating in improving somewhere else since we had him at that position? Are we fine to see Kovalchuck staying in Russia 'cause he doesn't owe anybody anything?

You gave him a 4 year contract with a clause that said he can retire whenever he wants for whatever reason he wants.

Ilya would be operating against a transfer agreement between NHL and KHL.

Pretty big difference there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad