Speculation: Erik Cole thinking about retirement?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Ya he enjoyed the time off because he got paid while doing nothing.

Nice 2M Dollar signing bonus came his way July 1st.

8M still coming his way for the last 2 years, he ain't retiring.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Ya he enjoyed the time off because he got paid while doing nothing.

Nice 2M Dollar signing bonus came his way July 1st.

8M still coming his way for the last 2 years, he ain't retiring.

Some people don't give much importance to money... Especially when they're already millionaires and want to spend time with their family.

He can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2013/01/11/004-habs-cole-avenir.shtml

« J'ai vraiment aimé passer du temps à la maison, a-t-il indiqué à l'issue de l'entraînement de vendredi, à Brossard. Mes enfants sont à l'école ici jusqu'en juin, on réévaluera ensuite. Je dois reparler à l'Association des joueurs au sujet de l'argent que l'on laisse en fiducie et de mes autres craintes sur la convention, et je prendrai une décision. »

Même si son syndicat et la LNH ont fait la paix (les joueurs ont jusqu'à samedi matin pour ratifier le contrat de travail), Cole demeure sceptique sur la nouvelle entente.

« Tout le monde devrait y penser [à se retirer] en regardant la convention, a-t-il dit. Plusieurs joueurs ont signé des contrats et n'obtiendront peut-être pas ce qu'ils auraient dû obtenir quand ils l'ont signé. »

Summary:

- He liked spending time at home. He'll re-evaluate after his kids' school year ends in June.

- He needs to talk to the PA about how much $ he must put in escrow and other concerns he has about this CBA, then he'll make a decision.

- Then he comes up with a bizarre ''everyone will think of retiring after seeing this CBA'' quote. Lots of players may not get 100% of their money and such.

Still seems like a stretch to me, he's really going to leave the 8 M in actual cash left on his deal after this season on the table?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Retire.

With his cap added to Gomez and Kaberle, we're looking at $16M+ available to sign or trade for 2 REALLY good players to take their places. A real power forward or centre and a shut down defensman would do the Habs a world of good. Cole was great last year but I doubt he will repeat it and he's getting up there in age.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Every older guy thinks about retiring when they are home, once he gets back into it he'll love it again, I don't put too much stock in what he say's he is pretty moody guy

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Some people don't give much importance to money... Especially when they're already millionaires and want to spend time with their family.

He can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Marc the Habs Fan Moderator: posted some of what he said today, he place a lot of importance on money.

I don't really hate on players like some fans do, because they are paid "too much already" because I don't excatly believe that, but I just doubt he walks away from 8M, even if he gives some back because of escrow, he'll still be leaving a ton of money.

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
as much as i love him, i actually do hope he retires after this year if he's thinking of doing it
He's not getting younger and i'd rather give the money to someone younger

gomez buyout, kabarle/bourque buyout plus his 4M$ off the books?
There's alot of interesting UFAs this summer

Myron Gaines*

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2013/01/11/004-habs-cole-avenir.shtml

Summary:

- He liked spending time at home. He'll re-evaluate after his kids' school year ends in June.

- He needs to talk to the PA about how much $ he must put in escrow and other concerns he has about this CBA, then he'll make a decision.

- Then he comes up with a bizarre ''everyone will think of retiring after seeing this CBA'' quote. Lots of players may not get 100% of their money and such.

Still seems like a stretch to me, he's really going to leave the 8 M in actual cash left on his deal after this season on the table?

I don't understand his logic, would he get more money if he retired? Am I missing something?

Habtchum*

Every older guy thinks about retiring when they are home, once he gets back into it he'll love it again, I don't put too much stock in what he say's he is pretty moody guy

Usually Cole has one good year followed by a bad one... So this shortened Winter 2013 should be a bad one for him, and for us.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
He mentionned retirement as an option in the middle of the lockout. That's twice now.

Our NA veterans have been nothing short of intolerable throughout the lockout and seems like Eric is still going at it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't really see the point of this thread. He's mostly frustrated because of the lock out more than anything. I don't put any weight into it.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Best course of action for Cole is suck really bad this year to force a buyout in the summer and run away with cash...that would suck for the habs.

Habtchum*

I don't really see the point of this thread. He's mostly frustrated because of the lock out more than anything. I don't put any weight into it.

He's 34 and possibly in pretty bad shape campared to younger guys.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Sounds like Montreal isn't his kind of town. Maybe a trade is what he wants, to someplace he wants to retire to. I'm fine with that.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
I really liked him last year but with these retirement talks he's been saying is making me hate him...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Whatever. He was a bright spot amidst the dismality that was last season, but obviously he's not exactly a future cornerstone or anything. If he's bitter, or complacent, and especially if any of that spills over into his on-ice performance, then great, retire, we can spend the cap space elsewhere. No biggie either way, I'd say. I don't want some grumpy old man infecting our youth movement or stirring up resentment in the lockerroom.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
posted something too stupid and im too drunk to care, delete me plox. i don't like the blue blinky **** at the top :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->