Speculation: Erik Cole thinking about retirement?

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Sounds like Montreal isn't his kind of town. Maybe a trade is what he wants, to someplace he wants to retire to. I'm fine with that.

I don't think it has anything to do with the city or the team. He just equalled his best season in terms, has had his best in terms of goals and seemed pretty pleased with the city itself when interviewed.

He may have been lying out of his ass, but I think he seemed sincere.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Cole scored 35 goals last year and was the major force on our best line. If he retires I fully expect to miss the playoffs unless someone comes out of left field (Eller, Bourque)

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Whatever. He was a bright spot amidst the dismality that was last season, but obviously he's not exactly a future cornerstone or anything. If he's bitter, or complacent, and especially if any of that spills over into his on-ice performance, then great, retire, we can spend the cap space elsewhere. No biggie either way, I'd say. I don't want some grumpy old man infecting our youth movement or stirring up resentment in the lockerroom.

Oh lord... I guess I'll qualify for "grumpy old man" in 3 years time... he's 34 not 64 :P

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2013/01/11/004-habs-cole-avenir.shtml

Summary:

- He liked spending time at home. He'll re-evaluate after his kids' school year ends in June.

- He needs to talk to the PA about how much $ he must put in escrow and other concerns he has about this CBA, then he'll make a decision.

- Then he comes up with a bizarre ''everyone will think of retiring after seeing this CBA'' quote. Lots of players may not get 100% of their money and such.

Still seems like a stretch to me, he's really going to leave the 8 M in actual cash left on his deal after this season on the table?

Guy doesn't make any sense at all, and every time he says something it's cash related. I lost all respect for him when he talk trash about Hamrlik.
Retire and shut up.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'd hate to see him retire and I really don't get the escrow complaints. No matter how high escrow is you'll make more money playing than you would retiring.

Besides, is it that much of a hassle for you to fulfil your commitment to the team for the next 2.5 years and then retire?

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Honestly though, does anyone here expect him to be anything but a leader by example this season?

He's been a work ethic/hard work champ for his entire career. I don't expect him to do any different on the ice and in the locker room.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Blessing in disguise? The Habs really only needed 2 years from him at a 4.5m cap hit. I don't think anybody expects him to have gas in the tank by year 4.

Shame we couldn't have had him 1 year earlier. He was exactly what we needed against Boston.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Dear Eric,

We all know you are posturing - stop being an idiot, just **** and entertain me by scoring goals and losing teeth.

Cheers

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Cole scored 35 goals last year and was the major force on our best line. If he retires I fully expect to miss the playoffs unless someone comes out of left field (Eller, Bourque)

Let's just say I think there's a better chance of us winning the Cup this year and next than him actually following through with that.

He's just a whiner.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
All it is is sour grapes about the Lockout and the new CBA. He loves the Habs and wont walk away from 8 Mill. If he does, say hello to Ho-sang.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Dear Eric,

We all know you are posturing - stop being an idiot, just **** and entertain me by scoring goals and losing teeth.

Cheers

It's true, I was looking forward to the end of the lockout partially because we could stop hearing players dressing up, playing businessman, and making fools of themselves. His quote the other day was telling, he basically said that if the owners were to come to the PA earlier this could have been done sooner. The lockout is over, the CBA is agreed upon, and he still needs to do some silly PR stunt and throw in one last dig at the owners. Childish.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Erik Cole should have been thinking this prior to signing his last contract then and not committing to an organization for 4 years.

honestly tho, if he is thinking this now, then just pack your bags now. hockey is as much a mental game as anything. If your not committed to playing and rather spend your time with your family, leave now and let the organization move on.

Best course of action for Cole is suck really bad this year to force a buyout in the summer and run away with cash...that would suck for the habs.

if i was the organization id bite the bullet, send him to the minors and let him travel all around North America on the bus just so he'd miss his family some more.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
I really liked his first season with us. Hopefully Cole would do even better this year.

About his retirement, I don't really mind, cause I knew from the start that his production might go down year after year.

Family first

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I can't believe the guy is still whining about the CBA. He is clearly ungrateful for everything he has. Negativity spreads too easily in an organization so I say shut up or get out.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
He's been shooting his mouth off about money. One of the louder of the players. I don't agree with anything he says. But he is one guy who earns his cash, that's for sure.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How dare he have an opinion on the status of the value of his contract moving forward, and weigh playing against other things like family. What an *******.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
How dare he have an opinion on the status of the value of his contract moving forward, and weigh playing against other things like family. What an *******.

He's just hot air, I don't believe him. There's 8 million dollars on the table, more than he's made for most of his career. It's a stupid thing to say when a season is about to start.

The players were not realistic, again. The numbers are obvious, there's no TV contract. I'm tired of hearing players complain and glad the deal is 10 years.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
During the last CBA there were only 2 years where the players didn't get their escrow money, so the Eric Coles of the hockey world need to shut up and play.

PaulQ

Apr 9, 2010
How can you be a fan of Eric Cole after reading that RDS article?:
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/354415.html

"Cole poursuivra donc sa réflexion, au cours des prochains mois, et tentera d'évaluer si le salaire qu'il empochera d'ici le printemps 2015 compensera suffisamment pour les sacrifices que sa famille consentira à faire en continuant de vivre dans ce qui s'avère, pour eux, un pays étranger."

He is evaluating if his salary will be enough to compensate for the sacrifice he and his family will make by staying in Quebec. Apparently, Quebec high school are way worse than in the States according to Cole... What a charmer!

He also mentioned that he wasn't that thrilled when the deal was made. Still sour.

Let's remember that Cole candidly revealed a month ago that he mocked Hamerlik when Hamerlik called Georges simply to give his opinion that canceling the season cannot be an option... Which is why Hamerlik went public...

Hope he'll suck this season but that will be hard to do if he plays with great players like Desharnais and Pacioretty.... Put him with Plekanec and Bourque I say :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad