Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
One thing to consider.

Don't expect him to play much in the NHL this season.

Despite being in the AHL, he still qualifies for his ELC to slide. This has more implications than just the Senators getting 1 extra year of his ELC out of him. It also will allow him to be exempt for the Seattle draft.

This is a huge implication, because the Senators already will only have 3 spots to use on Chabot and whoever the two best defenders develop into out of Jaros, Wolanin, and Lajoie. Going 4-4 likely would not be a viable option since the Senators are more heavy up front.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he can still play up to 9 games, just like typical CHL prospects. So maybe he'll get a game up here if there is an appropriate time to do so.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One thing to consider.

Despite being in the AHL, he still qualifies for his ELC to slide. This has more implications than just the Senators getting 1 extra year of his ELC out of him. It also will allow him to be exempt for the Seattle draft.

This is a huge implication, because the Senators already will only have 3 spots to use on Chabot and whoever the two best defenders develop into out of Jaros, Wolanin, and Lajoie. Going 4-4 likely would not be a viable option since the Senators are more heavy up front.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he can still play up to 9 games, just like typical CHL prospects. So maybe he'll get a game up here if there is an appropriate time to do so.

He can stay down in Belleville and help them challenge for a playoff spot, hopefully for the Calder too. No need to rush him just so we can see the shinny new toy.

Reactions: bert

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Love love Brannstrom it's just a hard pill to swallow when we had to give up Stone for him.

At least we got a player with sky high potential.

Yup it says a lot about the state of our organization that we can add a player like Brannstrom and the general feeling is malaise

Brannstrom is a way better prospect than I expected us to get, arguably a top 3 D prospect in the league, but it still feels like crushing defeat

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He can stay down in Belleville and help them challenge for a playoff spot, hopefully for the Calder too. No need to rush him just so we can see the shinny new toy.

I could see him getting one game, but we definitely won't burn the year and then have to protect him.

It's interesting, because Vegas could have recalled him since they did not have to worry about the expansion draft due to them not losing a player to Vegas.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
All negativity aside, great piece to add. Brannstrom may be the puck moving defenceman the Sens need to carry the puck in over the blue line. No more of this drop pass on the PP please.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Brannstrom can play the right side, but he's primarily a LHD. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but two years ago he was with Dahlin on the right side, this WJC he was on his natural left side.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yup it says a lot about the state of our organization that we can add a player like Brannstrom and the general feeling is malaise

Brannstrom is a way better prospect than I expected us to get, arguably a top 3 D prospect in the league, but it still feels like crushing defeat

That's because we traded our heart and soul player who is the best all-around winger in the league, loves to win, absolutely dedicated for the sport and for his teammates, can carry fringe top 9 players into top 6 roles, makes everyone around him better, and only 26 years old.

Players like Stone are very rare.

We gave away 2 absolutely rare and invaluable players in their peak in a matter of months. Unbelievable.

Reactions: bert

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

53238248_2072735932810787_2531498967447896064_n.png

Wore the "C" for Sweden in the last world juniors.

I really like this, he will do good with Chabot. Idk what I think about the full deal, would have liked more. But not bad.

Anyways it's not like we have ever messed up with a Swedish stud defence named Erik who was picked 15th overall. What could possibly go wrong

Reactions: Clayonator

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
One thing to consider.

Here's the relevant part of the CBA:

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

He's really young for his draft class - only 11 days older than Formenton. That he'll be exempt from the expansion draft is huge. I was really hoping that Dorion would go for prospects who would not be eligible for the expansion draft. He didn't get any in the Duchene or Dzingel trades. If he pans out that means the Sens can protect their top 4 on the back end.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Brannstrom is a great get, and virtually ready to lock down a top 4D spot.

Still feel like this was the opportunity to find a RHD to pair with Chabot. Karlsson never had a great partner, would be nice in this circus show to have someone to share the load with Chabot.

This is top talent, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad