Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
How long do you think Drew Hunter is going to be out (if at all)? Had a big hit last night so maybe they'd keep him off the ice for the remainder of the road trip for concussion protocol.

Atleast we have Kischnick as someone who could easily take Hunter's spot if he needs to be evaluated.

-update-
didn't see he was immediately back into the game

I might be wrong but after he came back I thought I heard Cooney say he did not play in the third.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
rough timing cause he was -3 tonight... but how's Cameron Morton been this season?

He has improved greatly since camp. He is still slower by OHL standards I would assume, makes rookie mistakes more than one would like, but he is learning to play a little more physical now and seems much more comfortable than before. I think he could develop into a solid 2nd line defender for the team.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
6-4 since the break.

I am pleased with this oddly.

I expected us to lose to Ottawa. They're just red hot right now. We should have won against Niagara twice, but the gain of Sopa has been very beneficial to our success. We also beat the Petes which was big for us although they may have had a lot of guys out. Many of these games we were missing Drysdale who is a key competitor for us.

I'd like to see us push for a win tonight in London, but Budweiser Gardens is just a tough place to play. If we could push them to go in OT i'd be happy with just the one point today, but obviously would rather have the 2 pts.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Given the 3 way tie for the 6th seed and Guelph just 3 points ahead of that pack, there should be no reason for a 6 or 7 finish.

I agree Sopa is a great addition so far, but our 3rd line has stepped up as well. Perhaps a combo of adding Sopa and that line finally coming together?

In any event, last night and the next 9 games are going to be a good marker of where we are at as a team. If we can pull 6 - 7 wins out of those 10 games I feel like we could push as high as the 5th seed.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Given the 3 way tie for the 6th seed and Guelph just 3 points ahead of that pack, there should be no reason for a 6 or 7 finish.

I agree Sopa is a great addition so far, but our 3rd line has stepped up as well. Perhaps a combo of adding Sopa and that line finally coming together?

In any event, last night and the next 9 games are going to be a good marker of where we are at as a team. If we can pull 6 - 7 wins out of those 10 games I feel like we could push as high as the 5th seed.
Problem is they aren’t consistent enough to ever play a full 60 against good teams. They have to get 4/6 points on most/all weekends and looking like 2/6 points this weekend

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I can hardly fault them in the 3/3 away games for showing signs of exhaustion, but we are at "full strength" now roster wise, minus Drew taking a knock the other night. Coaching needs to get creative and use players accordingly, rest a kid here or there, so we can take 2 out of 3 in the weekends. It isn't going to get any easier as the season looms on.

Cooney said the kids looked tired in the 2nd frame but if we have any hopes of pushing into a possible round 1 upset assuming we make the playoffs, they need to dig deep, if not for the coaches, for each other.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
So you know McMichael has multiple hat tricks and multiple goals against the Otters... no one thinks gee maybe we should watch out for him on the ice?

Can't let the kid get the puck. 2nd hat trick against Erie in his career alone.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA

I like your positivity

I am just hoping to get IN the playoffs at this point at the 8 th spot - and that’s not a given it’s a tight race

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I like your positivity

I am just hoping to get IN the playoffs at this point at the 8 th spot - and that’s not a given it’s a tight race
Knowing this team, they will collapse and miss out. At best be an 8th seed only to get killed in round 1

Brown made a “buy” move with real assets. Imo it’s 6/7 seed or bust after you make that type of move. That said, I have zero faith in this team. It’s the same song and dance for 3 years now. Start to win/gain confidence and then go back to a losing skid to make themselves irrelevant again

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
So you know McMichael has multiple hat tricks and multiple goals against the Otters... no one thinks gee maybe we should watch out for him on the ice?

Can't let the kid get the puck. 2nd hat trick against Erie in his career alone.
To be fair thats his 5th hat trick this year against strong teams to Saginaw,Kitchener,Hamilton and Erie x2

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
To be fair thats his 5th hat trick this year against strong teams to Saginaw,Kitchener,Hamilton and Erie x2
Oh I know... it just puts a beating to know that it's his second against Erie. We know he's a good player and know he has multiple point games, yet we do nothing to stop him.

We know he has 5 hat tricks, but that was nothing to do with the post or this thread. It was only pointed out because Erie just lets him walk in to the zone.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Oh I know... it just puts a beating to know that it's his second against Erie. We know he's a good player and know he has multiple point games, yet we do nothing to stop him.

We know he has 5 hat tricks, but that was nothing to do with the post or this thread. It was only pointed out because Erie just lets him walk in to the zone.
My point being exactly that he walks around everyone not just Erie. Not many teams can stop him. Not trying to stir the pot just pointing out that it happens to almost every team.
Cheers

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

He’s a first round NHL pick that is a top forward in the league..
It happens. Debrincat used to light up everyone. Same with Strome. Same with many others.

Erie doesn’t have a defender (minus Drysdale) who is capable of hanging with him all game from a talent standpoint. And with London playing at home, they have the lineup advantage. Idk what you expect. Players like him just take over many games. That’s why erie is where they are right now.. they don’t have that game breaking forward..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Not that other games aren't important, but the stakes are high this weekend. We NEED 4 points here.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not that other games aren't important, but the stakes are high this weekend. We NEED 4 points here.
Considering they disappeared last weekend, yes I would say they need all 4 points this week (more than they needed 4/6 last weekend). Tough to beat the same team in back to back nights but also important team they are playing based on the standings. Getting all 4 this week will get them back on track. Would also put them 2pts up on OS with a game in hand.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Amazing to me the significant injuries erie has had the last 2 years. Fowler missed basically all of last year. And this year Erie just can’t ever field a full lineup. Now Golod goes now in the 1st tonight. Sopa too. Unbelievable. If Golod is done for significant time, Erie is done too. A good check to the head and for the 2nd time in as many weeks, Erie gets cheap shots go against them. Unreal

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Bench Fowler. I’m tired of him taking silly penalties leading to goals. I know he’s good, but move your feet and avoid taking a seat.

Needs to learn to stay out of the box!

Glad Golod is back on the ice.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Bench Fowler. I’m tired of him taking silly penalties leading to goals. I know he’s good, but move your feet and avoid taking a seat.

Needs to learn to stay out of the box!

Glad Golod is back on the ice.

Don’t have the luxury to bench him. They need his offensive talents. But you can do other things like sit him a shift after the penalty or sit him on the next PP. Completely bench him though? Nope. They can’t afford that. How about just the coaching staff dealing with him at practice/during the week? He just needs to be smarter

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Don’t have the luxury to bench him. They need his offensive talents. But you can do other things like sit him a shift after the penalty or sit him on the next PP. Completely bench him though? Nope. They can’t afford that. How about just the coaching staff dealing with him at practice/during the week? He just needs to be smarter
Oh for sure. Definitely for a shift or even half a period after a penalty. He needs to learn not to be in the box because you’re right we 100% need him. I’d say he’ll learn, but he’s a veteran and knows the league. We can’t afford to not have him but I agree, he needs to play smarter now.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Oh for sure. Definitely for a shift or even half a period after a penalty. He needs to learn not to be in the box because you’re right we 100% need him. I’d say he’ll learn, but he’s a veteran and knows the league. We can’t afford to not have him but I agree, he needs to play smarter now.
He’s young.. just turned 18. Wasn’t an issue for him last year but did you ever think maybe the pressure of his draft year and the pressure of being a top scorer for this team is part of it? Or maybe the frustration of lack of chemistry since the lines always change? He’s trying too hard to make a play which leads to penalties. Debrincat took a bunch of penalties too. So did Maksmovich towards the end of his career.

Fowler is still a young player and I’m sure after his draft that will be something he’s told to work on. You could sit him for a shift or something but benching him the entire period or half a period will not be that productive for this team. If Hartsburg had an issue with it, should have addressed it months ago. Too late to start “punishment” now..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
A real sad shame that Golod was not NHL drafted. He has skills that at the very least, you see get drafted in the 5/6 rounds. If he wore some different jerseys in the OHL, he probably would have been. That said, nobody else in the OHL probably would have drafted or given him a chance to develop like Erie did. He’s been a great development and his non NHL draft status just means Erie will have top end OA forward next year. Yetman a pretty good one to have as well

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie has 24 games remaining and 10(!) are against OS/GUE/FLNT. Erie could really make a push for 5th seed. I don’t think it will happen because a don’t buy in on how things are run by the staff but.. it’s certainly lined up for them when you face those opponents that many times. Those 10 games will decide what spot they finish in

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Erie has 24 games remaining and 10(!) are against OS/GUE/FLNT. Erie could really make a push for 5th seed. I don’t think it will happen because a don’t buy in on how things are run by the staff but.. it’s certainly lined up for them when you face those opponents that many times. Those 10 games will decide what spot they finish in

Completely agree. When they are on, they are on and deserving of a 5 spot. However, like you and others have said, that doesn't happen nearly as frequently as it should happen and I too believe the problem doesn't reside mostly on the kids, but rather coaching staff.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Back to back games of not being able to score a single freaking goal on 5 min PPs on home ice the most embarrassing thing. This team should miss the playoffs for that alone. Hartsburg, seriously dude.. do you even have this team practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad