Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Really can’t comment directly as of course being in SW Ontario we don’t get to see Erie play a ton. But reading the comments seems to confirm the team has tuned out the coaches. PP and Discipline really for the most part are on the coaches. Same bodies for a 5 minute power play, crazy. In London Dale loves his vets but even he doesn’t try that. Granted he has job security as he would have to fire himself! Just seems like the boys have lost faith in what they are preaching?

Good Luck if you can get in the playoffs you never know? I for one thought Erie would be much higher in the standings. Not on top necessarily but solidly in a playoff position.
I was not at the game to confirm the all the same bodies out on the entire PP. But regardless, the coaching is the biggest issue. And it’s really not even close to a discussion at this point. If he returns next year, the fan support will continue to dwindle and recruiting players? Ha good luck with that. Instead, we will start to see guys requesting trades out of town

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
If he returns next year, the fan support will continue to dwindle and recruiting players? Ha good luck with that. Instead, we will start to see guys requesting trades out of town
So true and that’s the danger of sitting idle. I would be shocked if he is back and really probably eyes will be on the GM position unless ownership said the coach stays until the end of the season?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
So true and that’s the danger of sitting idle. I would be shocked if he is back and really probably eyes will be on the GM position unless ownership said the coach stays until the end of the season?
People have speculated that Hartsburg’s contract is up after the season. If so, it could be justified that Erie keeps him until end of year. The thought process could be “Let’s see what he can do with a healthy lineup for a playoff push”, after all, Erie has had injury issues the last few years.

Possibly a financial decision as well. But I for one think firing him in December at the break and bringing in an outsider would have given this team much needed, improved energy and focus.

I have no clue the thought process from higher ups on this. Could also be that a certain assistant coach on another team is who they want to pursue as their next head coach in the offseason. There could be several reasons why Hartsburg is still here.. for now. Let’s just hope the reason isn’t because the team still views him as the guy moving forward

Reactions: 7D442 and Buttsy

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Really can’t comment directly as of course being in SW Ontario we don’t get to see Erie play a ton. But reading the comments seems to confirm the team has tuned out the coaches. PP and Discipline really for the most part are on the coaches. Same bodies for a 5 minute power play, crazy. In London Dale loves his vets but even he doesn’t try that. Granted he has job security as he would have to fire himself! Just seems like the boys have lost faith in what they are preaching?

Good Luck if you can get in the playoffs you never know? I for one thought Erie would be much higher in the standings. Not on top necessarily but solidly in a playoff position.

You and everyone else thought we should probably be a 5 - 7 seed easily, yet we are struggling to stay relevant. While most teams have bought/sold their talent at the deadline to rebuild or solidify a run we are still searching for answers and scratching our heads.

There is no way we can even think about a deeper run next year if some big move(s) don't happen and yes, it likely starts with coaching. Bad coaching CAN ruin a perfectly good player, and perhaps that is part of what we are seeing unfold in front of us now with certain players just not taking that next step and/or remaining stagnant.

As for the back to back nights with the 5 minute PP and 0 goals, we ran line 1 for probably 2.5 - 3 minutes and then put in a regular line 3F/2D for the remainder. To me that speaks to coaching having absolutely zero clue how to fix whatever issue(s) are happening on the ice during the 1 man advantage. 10 minutes of a 5v4 advantage and 0 goals...there is definitely something broken, maybe it falls mostly on coaching, but the players are the ones performing and to me that also shows they aren't exactly taking care of business either.

Reactions: NOA and Buttsy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You and everyone else thought we should probably be a 5 - 7 seed easily, yet we are struggling to stay relevant. While most teams have bought/sold their talent at the deadline to rebuild or solidify a run we are still searching for answers and scratching our heads.

There is no way we can even think about a deeper run next year if some big move(s) don't happen and yes, it likely starts with coaching. Bad coaching CAN ruin a perfectly good player, and perhaps that is part of what we are seeing unfold in front of us now with certain players just not taking that next step and/or remaining stagnant.

As for the back to back nights with the 5 minute PP and 0 goals, we ran line 1 for probably 2.5 - 3 minutes and then put in a regular line 3F/2D for the remainder. To me that speaks to coaching having absolutely zero clue how to fix whatever issue(s) are happening on the ice during the 1 man advantage. 10 minutes of a 5v4 advantage and 0 goals...there is definitely something broken, maybe it falls mostly on coaching, but the players are the ones performing and to me that also shows they aren't exactly taking care of business either.
It’s beyond frustrating because this team has the ability to be a 5/6 seed. And next year with the right roster adds through the import draft and our own prospects, they could be a top 3/4 seed. But unfortunately this year has been a significant waste to get to that goal. My biggest worry now is when is Hartsburg actually going to be gone? Even if they do let him go this summer, are players already checked out thanks to him helping to regress the team for 3 years? Also, will it impact their ability to sign import players that we desperately NEED to take that next step? Because right now on the outside looking in, we have been the same crap for 3 years and as a result the fans are now piling in at 3000 a game. Erie is better than that. But sadly this is on Dave Brown right now. It’s going downhill. To convince imports to show up and fans to fill the seats next year, we need to do way more selling than we should have had to do..

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Should also be noted:

Erie currently has the best Penalty Kill (82.9%) in the league and worst Power Play (17.3%) in the league.

I'm not saying we should score every PP but if we were "average" on the PP that would be about 10 more goals this season.

Reactions: NOA

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
All of the coaching staffs contracts are up after this season. If Hartsburg is extended, I'm done.

Big changes needed in coaching, roster, and probably overall philosophy are needed this off-season. The goodwill from the McDavid/Strome years is gone and this organization is showing no signs of being capable of turning the page and succeeding again.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
A breakdown of Fowler’s penalties show that he has 18 mins this year for slashing and 10 mins for hooking. Those are both very undisciplined penalties where you can’t keep your stick on the ice and like I speculated before with him — where you are trying desperately to get possession of the puck/make a play. These are all bad habits and can be taught and learned. They aren’t that difficult to fix if addressed ..

This isn’t a situation where Fowler has 18 PIMs for unsportsmanlike/roughing and another 10 PIMs for cross checking/boarding type penalties that indicate he’s a hot head and off the rails. He actually only 12 PIMs in those combined categories this year, and 4 of those PIMs were evened up with opposing player.

I was looking more towards the "bad penalties" he has taken this year.

It seems, at least at first glance Fowler is the one taking a penalty when we are:

A. On the power play
B. Within a goal towards the end of the game and his penalty puts the game away.

That is no way saying that a 2 minute penalty should make/break the game, it just gives the appearance they are untimely and undisciplined. There are 60 minutes in the game, and as you've pointed out, we seldom play for 60, but taking a penalty when we are 5v4 is just not smart play. Whatever target he put on his back this year, HE needs to figure out how to get it off. Maybe coaches help him, maybe he stops complaining to the officials in scrums, I don't know. He IS that primadonna type player, which is fine, but he has to learn to control it.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It’s beyond frustrating because this team has the ability to be a 5/6 seed. And next year with the right roster adds through the import draft and our own prospects, they could be a top 3/4 seed. But unfortunately this year has been a significant waste to get to that goal. My biggest worry now is when is Hartsburg actually going to be gone? Even if they do let him go this summer, are players already checked out thanks to him helping to regress the team for 3 years? Also, will it impact their ability to sign import players that we desperately NEED to take that next step? Because right now on the outside looking in, we have been the same crap for 3 years and as a result the fans are now piling in at 3000 a game. Erie is better than that. But sadly this is on Dave Brown right now. It’s going downhill. To convince imports to show up and fans to fill the seats next year, we need to do way more selling than we should have had to do..

I stand firm in that part of Peter Cajka's decision to leave was a riff with the direction of the team/coaching. I know there was disappointment of not making an NHL roster also playing into it, but being as close as he was last season, there had to be more that pushed him to abruptly leave other than a bruised ego.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
All of the coaching staffs contracts are up after this season. If Hartsburg is extended, I'm done.

Big changes needed in coaching, roster, and probably overall philosophy are needed this off-season. The goodwill from the McDavid/Strome years is gone and this organization is showing no signs of being capable of turning the page and succeeding again.
I’m losing faith too when I look back at the last 3 years and see that we drafted and had Patry and Cajka (for one year) on the roster as imports. That’s it. That alone is reason enough to lose all faith. Combine that with holding onto Hartsburg way too long and this is what you get. It’s all on Dave Brown right now

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

The McDavid years were an anomaly for Erie IMO but that shouldn't take anything away from the expectation of better results from our organization, which I completely agree with you on.

A 1 or 2 year hangover for probably the best team Erie has ever assembled is understandable, but this is now appearing like a bad divorce that could make or break the team in Erie as a whole. I would hate to see them pack up and move elsewhere, but at the end of the day it is a business and we need the results to show we can compete in the middle to upper end year in and year out. If not, we are the high school football team that "won states in the glory days" and never returned. I don't think anyone here wants to be sitting in a bar or diner 15 - 20 years ago saying remember when we set all those records for 50+ win seasons...

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I also heard season ticket prices may be dropping next season if that is any indication of the confidence in our program right now.

People can only believe in something for so long before they feel the value is lost for their hard earned dollar.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I also heard season ticket prices may be dropping next season if that is any indication of the confidence in our program right now.

People can only believe in something for so long before they feel the value is lost for their hard earned dollar.
We have been going to Otters games since about 2012 and attend about 25-30 home games a season. Never could become season ticket holders because of work or sports, but if Erie drops the season ticket prices AND fires the coaches, I might become one.

We need to be better and need better results on the ice, starting from the coaches end.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
We have been going to Otters games since about 2012 and attend about 25-30 home games a season. Never could become season ticket holders because of work or sports, but if Erie drops the season ticket prices AND fires the coaches, I might become one.

We need to be better and need better results on the ice, starting from the coaches end.

This is the sad thing...

With their BOGO deals, kids club, and other promotions through work my family of 3 can do all the home games for about 600 bucks cheaper than season tickets for the 3 of us. We merely miss out on some pretty cool events with the only hassle being we don't always get our "go to seats".

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
This is the sad thing...

With their BOGO deals, kids club, and other promotions through work my family of 3 can do all the home games for about 600 bucks cheaper than season tickets for the 3 of us. We merely miss out on some pretty cool events with the only hassle being we don't always get our "go to seats".
Season tickets are just outrageous. We typically sit in the same section (different seats) for way cheaper than it would be for one seat. Especially after the midseason promotion, i'm sure a lot of STH are not renewing next year.

A huge bummer was the student discount. We were able to use my college ID for two tickets at $10 a piece and now they've changed it that you can only get one per ID. Which I understand given one ID one discount, but we are still giving them money every single night. Do they really need the extra $12? We still go regardless the price, but after being able to do this for almost 4 years to get two tickets for one ID, was a shock this season. At least we are filling the seats and keeping the team in Erie by showing up. We are fortunate to be able to afford all the games we can attend. For someone else who could use that $12 off, it would really be a huge bummer since it definitely becomes expensive.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Season tickets are just outrageous. We typically sit in the same section (different seats) for way cheaper than it would be for one seat. Especially after the midseason promotion, i'm sure a lot of STH are not renewing next year.

A huge bummer was the student discount. We were able to use my college ID for two tickets at $10 a piece and now they've changed it that you can only get one per ID. Which I understand given one ID one discount, but we are still giving them money every single night. Do they really need the extra $12? We still go regardless the price, but after being able to do this for almost 4 years to get two tickets for one ID, was a shock this season. At least we are filling the seats and keeping the team in Erie by showing up. We are fortunate to be able to afford all the games we can attend. For someone else who could use that $12 off, it would really be a huge bummer since it definitely becomes expensive.
I mean the entire ID thing makes total sense of 1 ticket per ID. That would mean someone could use a student ID and buy 4 tickets - $40 - and then not even go to the game. Meanwhile 4 adults use the tickets and it turns out that they saved approximately $40-50 on tickets. The point of the discount is to push for more students to come to the game, not for a hidden way for people to get cheaper tickets..
I’m shocked they allowed it for that long and never should have

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I mean the entire ID thing makes total sense of 1 ticket per ID. That would mean someone could use a student ID and buy 4 tickets - $40 - and then not even go to the game. Meanwhile 4 adults use the tickets and it turns out that they saved approximately $40-50 on tickets. The point of the discount is to push for more students to come to the game, not for a hidden way for people to get cheaper tickets..
I’m shocked they allowed it for that long and never should have

That's why I never saw it as an issue. One ticket per ID makes sense, but it would just be a bummer if two students showed up and one forgot their ID. No longer can the other person vouch for them and get two tickets because one forgot their ID.

It seems more of a hassle if one bought 4 tickets for $40 and not go than what it's worth. Plus MANY, MANY college students do not have money to just throw away.

I don't know about you, but my section had empty ROWS all weekend. We sit in the "center ice" zone on the seating chart. You'd think they'd fill more seats especially with a double header. Offer more free tickets to people, do something to save Erie from being close to the chopping block. Then again, it comes down to the coaches, but people don't come to games for the coaches. Instead, they come to see Drysdale, Yetman, or Golod.

It's just overall sad that we cannot get more than 3000 fans each night.

Last edited:

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
That's why I never saw it as an issue. One ticket per ID makes sense, but it would just be a bummer if two students showed up and one forgot their ID. No longer can the other person vouch for them and get two tickets because one forgot their ID.

It seems more of a hassle if one bought 4 tickets for $40 and not go than what it's worth. Plus MANY, MANY college students do not have money to just throw away.

I don't know about you, but my section had empty ROWS all weekend. We sit in the "center ice" zone on the seating chart. You'd think they'd fill more seats especially with a double header. Offer more free tickets to people, do something to save Erie from being close to the chopping block. Then again, it comes down to the coaches, but people don't come to games for the coaches. Instead, they come to see Drysdale, Yetman, or Golod.

It's just overall sad that we cannot get more than 3000 fans each night.

We sit behind the bench...there are I believe 10 seats in the row...the seats 4 - 10 are taken by season ticket holders and we have seen seats 4 - 9 maybe 2 games. Not sure why you would pay roughly 3k to not use them lol.

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
We sit behind the bench...there are I believe 10 seats in the row...the seats 4 - 10 are taken by season ticket holders and we have seen seats 4 - 9 maybe 2 games. Not sure why you would pay roughly 3k to not use them lol.
Exactly. If you're paying big bucks to go to the game, you should use them. Not sure why someone would "hoard" them or buy more than they need and not use them. It just is a waste.

We sit behind the net and there were atleast 2-3 rows (16 seats) where only 4-5 people occupied.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
DAEB99DC-CC96-49A3-BD89-01491EA7746D.jpeg
Stick taps to Jack! What a way to use his platform to better others.

Attachments

• 48A68EC2-99B6-4588-9AE4-C04EFEE6608C.jpeg
    48A68EC2-99B6-4588-9AE4-C04EFEE6608C.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: nelli27 and Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
2/6 points this weekend is my prediction. I really hope I'm wrong, but we aren't going to climb the ladder unless we get at least 4/6.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
2/6 points this weekend is my prediction. I really hope I'm wrong, but we aren't going to climb the ladder unless we get at least 4/6.
It’s 2 games this weekend the a game on Wednesday.
But I will agree with the 2/6 prediction. No chance at beating Saginaw so their hope will be just to split with Flint/Guelph. The season is another disappointment. Starting to think maybe the owners need to look at Dave Brown..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Good catch on the 2 this weekend and a mid week match NOA.

We got 1, not horrible but without listening to the game it appears our PP woes continued tonight, away.

Didn't hear/see who was scrapping on the otters tonight as I see there was a fight.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good catch on the 2 this weekend and a mid week match NOA.

We got 1, not horrible but without listening to the game it appears our PP woes continued tonight, away.

Didn't hear/see who was scrapping on the otters tonight as I see there was a fight.

PP looked decent, had a few good chances, but yeah still not great.

Fowler got in a fight, he crushed Dellandrea on kind of a blindside hit and got tossed, wouldn't be surprised if he's suspended. He got the better of the fight at least.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Drysdale gets knocked out...

Man, this season is going down faster than the titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad