Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Here is a prospect tracker for the time being I miss anyone, let me know and I'll add it. I'm only going to include players that have been on the team full-time at some point (ex: Emmett Sproule/Jamie Drysdale won't be on this list).

2017 U18 Priority Selection ('00s)
RW Matthew Giannini
LW Anthony Carraretto
G William Anderson
LW Jayden Vaughan
LC Evan Miller

2017 OHL Priority Selections ('01s)
LW Joshua Shimizu
LW Kyle Schroeder
G Thomas Loudfoot
LD Connor Dobson
LD Mark Cooper
LC Curtis Trolley
RW Michael Miele

2018 OHL U18 Priority Selection ('01s)
RW Darius Vitug
LW Reid Russett (acquired in a trade with Windsor)

2018 OHL Priority Selection ('02s)
LC Ryan Alexander
LC Frankie Carogioiello
LD Ethan Ritchie
LC Daniel Baldassarra
LD Logan Maunder-Sanderson
RC Elias Cohen (signed)
LD Cameron Morton (signed)
LW Noah Sedore (signed)
RD John Richer
RD Bryan Huggins
G Aidan Campbell (signed)
RW Aidan Flynn
LC Justin Mauro

2019 OHL U18 Priority Selection ('02s)
LD Connor Olson
G Bryce Walcarius
LC Zachary Power

2019 OHL Priority Selection ('03s)
RC Connor Lockhart (signed)
RW Colby Saganiuk
LC Brett Bressette (signed)
RD Christian Kyrou (signed)
LD Wil Murphy
LW Benjamin White
G Forbes Anderson
RD Thomas Lonsdale
LC Vincent Scalise
G Ben West
RD Owain Johnston
F Cole Melady
RW Ryan Forberg
LD Ethan Schoonderbeek
RW Frankie Tafalski
D Joshua Reilly

2019 CHL Import Draft
LC Marat Khusnutdinov ('02)

List updated as of 8/23/19

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Here's the camp roster: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EC1CETyXkAE5kH1.jpg:large

No real surprises on here. Obviously it is disappointing that Cajka is gone and Khushnutdinov/Alexander/Carogioiello didn't show. This team could have some incredible center depth.

Still glad they hit on Swankler though and didn't have a problem signing Lockhart (or Drysdale last season for that matter). The key for this team will really just be young player development. If the team overall has progressed well over the summer I could honestly see this team in the 5-7 range. If not, they'll probably be in a fight for the 8 seed again.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Here's the camp roster: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EC1CETyXkAE5kH1.jpg:large

No real surprises on here. Obviously it is disappointing that Cajka is gone and Khushnutdinov/Alexander/Carogioiello didn't show. This team could have some incredible center depth.

Still glad they hit on Swankler though and didn't have a problem signing Lockhart (or Drysdale last season for that matter). The key for this team will really just be young player development. If the team overall has progressed well over the summer I could honestly see this team in the 5-7 range. If not, they'll probably be in a fight for the 8 seed again.

Pretty much sums it up. If we had 2/3 of those prospects here, Erie would have one of the deeper younger teams they have ever had. That said, they still have plenty of young guys who I think can play

Much like I said before.. we have options. There are a lot of players who I think can have bigger seasons than last and it’s more a matter of how much work and improvement they made in the summer. They don’t all have to have a leap in production or play but more just a few of the main/most talented do (i.e. Fowler or Murphy).

Contrary to most fans around the league who see us out of the playoffs, I
think we have much more potential to be a 5/6 seed than that.. The talent is there but needs to come together

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It should be close. I can see Erie, SSM, OS in the 5-7 range. Flint too, if they don’t fill the two empty OA spots.

Reactions: 7D442

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
LWsCRW LDRD G
Maxim GolodChad YetmanHayden Fowler Kurtis HenryJamie Drysdale Dan Murphy
Mathew MacDougall Austen SwanklerDaniel Singer Ryan MartinBrendan Kischnick Aidan Campbell
Emmett Sproule Alex GritzBrendan Hoffman Jacob GoldenChristian Kyrou Bryce Walcarius
Brendan SellanConnor LockhartDaniel D'Amato Jack Duff
Noah SedoreJoe Mack Zachary Power Luke Beamish
Elias CohenDarius Vitug Marcus Gillard
Brett Bressette Wil Murphy
Benjamin White Ethan Ritchie
Cameron Morton
Connor Olson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RED=OA ONLY 3 can stay BOLDed is what i think
Orange = U18 draft
Yellow = Players looking for a spot
Purple is newly traded or go in a trade
Blue = Signed
Pink - Import
Lime green - a spot in jeopardy, COuld be traded or released
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LEt me know what you think

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
LWsCRWLDRDG
Maxim GolodChad YetmanHayden FowlerKurtis HenryJamie DrysdaleDan Murphy
Mathew MacDougall Austen SwanklerDaniel SingerRyan MartinBrendan KischnickAidan Campbell
Emmett Sproule Alex GritzBrendan HoffmanJacob GoldenChristian KyrouBryce Walcarius
Brendan SellanConnor LockhartDaniel D'AmatoJack Duff
Noah SedoreJoe Mack Zachary PowerLuke Beamish
Elias CohenDarius VitugMarcus Gillard
Brett BressetteWil Murphy
Benjamin WhiteEthan Ritchie
Cameron Morton
Connor Olson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RED=OA ONLY 3 can stay BOLDed is what i think
Orange = U18 draft
Yellow = Players looking for a spot
Purple is newly traded or go in a trade
Blue = Signed
Pink - Import
Lime green - a spot in jeopardy, COuld be traded or released
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LEt me know what you think

The yellow is a bit hard to read but looks good

I would also argue that Gritz is working for a spot too. I don’t think both are making the team. Probably one or the other

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I see it like this:

Golod-Swankler-Fowler
Sproule-Yetman-Singer
MacDougall-Gritz/Mack-Hoffmann
Sellan-Lockhart-D'Amato
Sedore/Cohen

I think Gritz and Mack are fighting for the 3C spot, the loser likely gets traded. With Lockhart pushing for more minutes as the season goes on, they shouldn't keep both. I also think that both Sellan and D'Amato are not necessarily safe. Depending on how Sedore/Cohen show up (plus any potential surprise FAs or other draft picks? I think Aidan Flynn is interesting considering he's at camp despite having an NCAA commitment. Tanner Daniels is also one of the more interesting FAs as a late '01, he put up pretty big numbers in a U18 league last season)

On defense, I am just going to assume Golden will be moved. Unless he's had an incredible summer, it's not worth keeping the 3rd round pick when they have a similar playing that is healthy now in Beamish.

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Martin
Beamish-Kischnick
Gillard

I like the chart and formating you have there hockeyhero, looks good on desktop. People on mobile will likely have some issues reading it though.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I see it like this:

Golod-Swankler-Fowler
Sproule-Yetman-Singer
MacDougall-Gritz/Mack-Hoffmann
Sellan-Lockhart-D'Amato
Sedore/Cohen

I think Gritz and Mack are fighting for the 3C spot, the loser likely gets traded. With Lockhart pushing for more minutes as the season goes on, they shouldn't keep both. I also think that both Sellan and D'Amato are not necessarily safe. Depending on how Sedore/Cohen show up (plus any potential surprise FAs or other draft picks? I think Aidan Flynn is interesting considering he's at camp despite having an NCAA commitment. Tanner Daniels is also one of the more interesting FAs as a late '01, he put up pretty big numbers in a U18 league last season)

On defense, I am just going to assume Golden will be moved. Unless he's had an incredible summer, it's not worth keeping the 3rd round pick when they have a similar playing that is healthy now in Beamish.

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Martin
Beamish-Kischnick
Gillard

I like the chart and formating you have there hockeyhero, looks good on desktop. People on mobile will likely have some issues reading it though.

Exact lines and situations I have too EON.

the only difference is that I see some 2002 defender making the team.

I just think it’s too risky to have 3 guys that are 2000 borns and 1 OA. That means we are likely to lose 2/3 of them next year. I would prefer we “groom” a 2002 and get him ready for next year. Doesn’t mean that 2002 guy has to play 50-60 games.. but even getting him 25-30 would be a benefit. There are plenty of options too so that’s why I think it’s likely. With 4/5 2002 defenders that seem to have a chance plus 2 guys that are 2003 (Kyrou/Murphy), I think the best one is signed and on the team

To start the year, we probably can and will carry 8 defenders. Martin seems to be slowly coming back from injury (in no contact jersey now). Plus Kischnick has some experience playing a bit of forward in a pinch. Then they probably go with 13/14 forwards to start but eventually cut that down to 13. Someone like Bressette could be signed with the expectation that he will get 5-10 games at some point when needed

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
19 cuts, down to 42 players in camp.

Unsigned players remaining:

LD Wil Murphy ('03, 2019 5th)
RD Logan Maunder ('02, 2018 6th)
LD Connor Olson ('02, 2019 U18 1st)
RD Christian Kyrou ('03, 2019 5th)
LD Ethan Ritchie ('02, 2018 5th)
RD Thomas Lonsdale ('03, 2019 9th)
LD Cameron Morton ('02, 2018 7th)

LW Liam Galton ('01, FA)
LC Brett Bressette ('03, 2019 4th)
RC Colin Elliott ('02, FA)
LW Tanner Daniels ('01, FA)
LW Matthew Duarte ('02, FA)
LW Kurt Watson ('01, FA)
RW Frank Tafelski ('03, 2019 14th)
LW Ben White ('03, 2019 7th)
LC Tanner McEachern ('01, FA)

No unsigned goalies remaining, no surprises here but they're going straight into preseason and this season with the duo of Murphy/Campbell. I think Walcarius could push for the backup spot next season if they don't want to use an OA spot on Murphy and make Campbell the #1.

I think there is possibly one spot open on D for an '02 (either Maunder, Olson, Ritchie, or Morton).

There's maybe one spot open up front if they trade/release some excess. Daniels and Duarte seem intriguing as FAs. Bressette, White, and Tafelski all seem promising and will likely push for roster spots next season, especially Bressette.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Biggest standouts from the scrimmage:

Campbell
Swankler
Sedore

Campbell looks real calm back there. He’s young but you can tell the hype is real. I think Sedore and Cohen are LOCKS to make the team. Meaning that one of Gritz/Mack and one of Sellan/D’Amato are probably traded/released by early in the year

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Biggest standouts from the scrimmage:

Campbell
Swankler
Sedore

Campbell looks real calm back there. He’s young but you can tell the hype is real. I think Sedore and Cohen are LOCKS to make the team. Meaning that one of Gritz/Mack and one of Sellan/D’Amato are probably traded/released by early in the year

Pretty much agree w those 3 ..however I was impressed w D’ Amato as well .. kid has some size and appears to have worked on his skating and had some sweet passes as well .. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon at times ..love the hustle and effort ..Hopefully he makes the team ..

Campbell stole the show as far as goalies goes but then again team Gold just couldn’t hang w Fowler and company In my opinion ..

Not sure what to do w Gritz and hopefully we ‘ ll get something back for Golden ..not even remotely interested in giving up an additional or conditional 3 rd rd pick if that’s the case ..that’s not a slam against him just a decision I hope the team makes as far as future draft picks go

NOA - D’Amato didn’t catch your eye ???

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Pretty much agree w those 3 ..however I was impressed w D’ Amato as well .. kid has some size and appears to have worked on his skating and had some sweet passes as well .. Looked like he was shot out of a cannon at times ..love the hustle and effort ..Hopefully he makes the team ..

Campbell stole the show as far as goalies goes but then again team Gold just couldn’t hang w Fowler and company In my opinion ..

Not sure what to do w Gritz and hopefully we ‘ ll get something back for Golden ..not even remotely interested in giving up an additional or conditional 3 rd rd pick if that’s the case ..that’s not a slam against him just a decision I hope the team makes as far as future draft picks go

NOA - D’Amato didn’t catch your eye ???

I’ll be honest.. I focused in on a few players. Most of the newer guys like Swankler, Cohen, Sedore, Campbell and the defense.

So that’s really why. I agree though he looked good. Think Sellan improved too

In terms of Gritz/Mack.. I just don’t see them making the team IF Sellan/D’Amato both continue to show up. Imo Gritz/Mack are out of the picture next year anyways so no way we keep both. But it’s more of their confidence in other centers and how much they think Lockhart can contribute this year

No chance I keep Golden. Not worth the loss of a 3rd for what he is. Dave Brown has down a great job as the GM since he arrived. His only 2 shaky moments were with the Lodnia trade and the import situation this year. That said, Lodnia screwed the team over and so did Cajka. Khustnutdinov could show next year and it would justify that pick

But keeping Golden? Would be one of his worst decisions as GM..

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the thoughts guys, very helpful for those like me who can't see camp in person.

I do agree, they absolutely should not keep Golden. It's definitely possible he's the #4 dman on this team but it's not worth the 3rd round pick. They have 8 signed dmen including him and a couple of '02s possibly pushing for a spot. Murphy and Kyrou both seem really promising as well.

If Sellan/D'Amato have both shown up improved, I could see both Gritz and Mack pushed out. They definitely don't have room for both of those guys.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
13 more cuts, down to 28 players, preseason roster looks to be finalized.

Seems to me like Morton might get signed. Maybe Kyrou and Bressette do as well but I imagine they would be used as call-ups and spend the bulk of the season getting more playing time in a lower league. Current depth chart:

* potential OA candidate
$ potential trade candidate (in my opinion, but I cast a pretty wide net here, Golden/Gritz/Mack are the most obvious)
^injured
**unsigned

LWCRWLDRDG
GolodSwanklerFowlerHenryDrysdaleMurphy
SprouleYetmanSinger*$DuffGolden*$Campbell
MacDougall$Gritz$HoffmannBeamishKischnick
Sellan$Mack$D'Amato$GillardKyrou**
SedoreLockhartCohenMorton**Martin*^
Bressette**
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
14 more cuts, down to 28 players, preseason roster looks to be finalized.

Seems to me like Morton might get signed. Maybe Kyrou and Bressette do as well but I imagine they would be used as call-ups and spend the bulk of the season getting more playing time in a lower league. Current depth chart:

* potential OA candidate
$ potential trade candidate (in my opinion, but I cast a pretty wide net here, Golden/Gritz/Mack are the most obvious)
^injured
**unsigned

LWCRWLDRDG
GolodSwanklerFowlerHenryDrysdaleMurphy
SprouleYetmanSinger*$DuffGolden*$Campbell
MacDougall$Gritz$HoffmannBeamishKischnick
Sellan$Mack$D'Amato$GillardKyrou**
SedoreLockhartCohenMorton**Martin*^
Bressette**
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I hope to gosh they sign Morton so that it indicates that they move on from Golden. We all agree.. would be a mistake to keep him

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I hope to gosh they sign Morton so that it indicates that they move on from Golden. We all agree.. would be a mistake to keep him

Let's hope.

The path forward looks fairly clear to me imo. Sign Bressette & Kyrou on "b" cards, let them season in a lower league, use them as call ups when need be. Sign Morton. Trade/release 2 of Sellan/Gritz/Mack/D'Amato. Trade Golden. Go into the season with 13F 8D (since Martin is still rehabbing and Kischnick can play at forward if need be).

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Let's hope.

The path forward looks fairly clear to me imo. Sign Bressette & Kyrou on "b" cards, let them season in a lower league, use them as call ups when need be. Sign Morton. Trade/release 2 of Sellan/Gritz/Mack/D'Amato. Trade Golden. Go into the season with 13F 8D (since Martin is still rehabbing and Kischnick can play at forward if need be).
That seems like the smartest and most obvious plan.. hopefully Dave sees it too

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Kyrou is a player. Problem is he is 16 and still undersized. Long-term though he’s a good prospect. Hope they can sign him and at least give him some games this year

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Former Otters draft pick (2017 12th) C Curtis Trolley signed as a FA with Peterborough today. Good for him, that's his hometown team, I hope he does well. And I'm glad Brown released him to give him a better shot somewhere else.

I'm very interested in these preseason games. This should be a very competitive last few weeks. I think there are no obvious cuts outside of Bressette/Kyrou (they may have the talent but probably need to get a little stronger and get more playing time in a lower league).

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Former Otters draft pick (2017 12th) C Curtis Trolley signed as a FA with Peterborough today. Good for him, that's his hometown team, I hope he does well. And I'm glad Brown released him to give him a better shot somewhere else.

I'm very interested in these preseason games. This should be a very competitive last few weeks. I think there are no obvious cuts outside of Bressette/Kyrou (they may have the talent but probably need to get a little stronger and get more playing time in a lower league).

I think Morton will be signed. He has attended Fairview High School this week with the regulars. Can’t imagine they enroll him in school if they plan to send him home in a week or 2... but could be wrong

I hope we sign Kyrou/Bressette just to lock them up. Both are worthy. Kyrou in particular has stood out and definitely has the talent

On the Trolley signing, good for him! Don’t think there was ever really any room for him as a depth forward. That said, a 12th round pick by Erie — they continue to show they are darn good at late round picks

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not surprising. Glad they got these guys locked down.

I just realized how young Kyrou is. He doesn't turn 17 until September 16th. The NHL draft cut-off date is actually September 15th, so he isn't draft eligible until 2022, by one day. For as good as he's looked he's definitely gotta go spend this season in Junior B or Major Midget to get more playing time and bulk up.

It's not totally out of the question that Bressette makes the team though, or it's at least more likely than Kyrou making the team right away. Brown said he feels Bressette has 1st round talent and just got derailed by that bad injury last season. Looking forward to seeing how they do in these preseason games this weekend.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not surprising. Glad they got these guys locked down.

I just realized how young Kyrou is. He doesn't turn 17 until September 16th. The NHL draft cut-off date is actually September 15th, so he isn't draft eligible until 2022, by one day. For as good as he's looked he's definitely gotta go spend this season in Junior B or Major Midget to get more playing time and bulk up.

It's not totally out of the question that Bressette makes the team though, or it's at least more likely than Kyrou making the team right away. Brown said he feels Bressette has 1st round talent and just got derailed by that bad injury last season. Looking forward to seeing how they do in these preseason games this weekend.

The biggest thing with Kyrou and Morton signing is that it gives Erie 10 defenders. I agree, Kyrou should and probably will spend time in juniors to bulk up. But that still leaves us with 9 guys. No way we sign Morton to not be on the team. Even if we assume Martin is still out for some time, that is still 8 on the roster with Kyrou available when needed. Hopefully this is a sign we move on from Golden..

It also gives them flexibility to trade one of the 2000s (Duff, Henry, Beamish). I prefer Erie does because with Yetman, Golod, (and even MacDougall, Murphy), we have to start preparing a bit for next year.

I really like Bressette so far. Definitely could have been a top 40 pick if not for the injury. The problem is that Erie has a lot of forward depth. Sellan, D’Amato, Sedore, and Cohen have all showed more this year and all probably make the team.

Imo it comes down to Lockhart. If they trust Lockhart to handle ice right away, then maybe that means we move on from both Gritz/Mack. But right now they might need Gritz for the center depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad