Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Fowler a late scratch for Erie and suddenly we have no depth and 4 forwards out with injuries. Yikes...

Looks like a 2-3 start to year on the way..

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
You could give this team 10 straight PPs tonight and they wouldn't score. In fact, they'd probably get outscored. Terrible coaching. They are fortunate Murphy is playing so well last night and thus far tonight.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You could give this team 10 straight PPs tonight and they wouldn't score. In fact, they'd probably get outscored. Terrible coaching. They are fortunate Murphy is playing so well last night and thus far tonight.

their PP stinks right now. But again that’s the coaching. I don’t get the need to have Lockhart be on the first unit, he’s not ready for it at this moment

Another long year awaits if the injuries continue..

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well, the PP was all of a sudden much better tonight. 3/6, and their first goal came right as a PP expired. Credit to them for whatever change they made. And the PK has also been much improved thus far. Campbell was also very good tonight after a bad debut. 3-2 is a solid start, hopefully they get a bit healthier by next weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
The Kish injury looked bad. Hopefully just a sprain but no weight on it while coming off.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well, the PP was all of a sudden much better tonight. 3/6, and their first goal came right as a PP expired. Credit to them for whatever change they made. And the PK has also been much improved thus far. Campbell was also very good tonight after a good debut. 3-2 is a solid start, hopefully they get a bit healthier by next weekend.

they need to get healthier

their offense has talent but they have youth mixed with guys still trying to prove it consistently. Our depth is the best thing we got going for us right now so when 4 forwards are out (and now Kischnick hurt), that’s going to have an impact

They. Need. To. Get. Healthy.

Have to love the fight back tonight. I’ll admit, I thought they had no chance tonight given all the circumstances. But they won and played a good game. I’ll take it. Have to continue to get better though

Reactions: 7D442 and Mata

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Well, the PP was all of a sudden much better tonight. 3/6, and their first goal came right as a PP expired. Credit to them for whatever change they made. And the PK has also been much improved thus far. Campbell was also very good tonight after a bad debut. 3-2 is a solid start, hopefully they get a bit healthier by next weekend.
You just have to look at the personnel on the ice to see the difference.

There are still some guys on the 1st PP that should not be there. IMO

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
You just have to look at the personnel on the ice to see the difference.

There are still some guys on the 1st PP that should not be there. IMO

The obvious guys that should be there are: Drysdale, Yetman, Golod. After that it's up to the coaches. I'd put Swankler and probably Fowler on there. PP #2 in my opinion should be Lockhart, D'Amato, Sproule, Hoffmann, Beamish. But that one is a bit more up in the air.

Sellan has definitely seen too much PP time. He hasn't been very good thus far after the strong regular season.

D'Amato looks great though, he should be in the top 9 and getting regular PP time for sure.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The obvious guys that should be there are: Drysdale, Yetman, Golod. After that it's up to the coaches. I'd put Swankler and probably Fowler on there. PP #2 in my opinion should be Lockhart, D'Amato, Sproule, Hoffmann, Beamish. But that one is a bit more up in the air.

Sellan has definitely seen too much PP time. He hasn't been very good thus far after the strong regular season.

D'Amato looks great though, he should be in the top 9 and getting regular PP time for sure.

From what I have seen.. that’s pretty close to what I would have for the PP

I would probably go with

Golod / Yetman / Fowler
Swankler / Drysdale

Sproule / Hoffmann / Singer
D’Amato / Beamish

Singer should be on one of the PP units when he returns to the lineup. He has a good shot and as an OA, I trust him to create some decent offense. Hoffmann out there due to his size and the fact that he has simply earned it. D’Amato has been great all year and as a result.. he needs to be on the PP2

Everyone else is based off their pure offensive talent. I don’t understand Lockhart getting PP time at this stage in the season. I’m okay with doing it in January but it’s still too early.. Let him get settled in first. But I do think that he’s sort of that “extra” PP guy after the 10 I mentioned. If someone starts to struggle or if there is a chemistry issue, I don’t have a problem spotting in Lockhart with some time. But he should not be PP1 full time right now. And Sellan shouldn’t be on either unit. That’s the problem. And that’s on the coaches ..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Let’s hope we get some forwards back this weekend .. I would love to see what our actual lineup is with a full group and to see how we play against a real team in Saginaw with that full lineup

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Let’s hope we get some forwards back this weekend .. I would love to see what our actual lineup is with a full group and to see how we play against a real team in Saginaw with that full lineup

Any updates on the "minor" day to day injuries ie Fowler, Singer, etc? I haven't seen anything and has anyone heard anything on Kischnick?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Sedore, Fowler, Singer are expected back...no to McDougall, no to Gillard, and I haven't seen a status update for Kish.

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
Sedore, Fowler, Singer are expected back...no to McDougall, no to Gillard, and I haven't seen a status update for Kish.

Who sits when the injured return to the lineup? Should they mess with the current chemistry...although Erie did get crushed by the Knights I thought they had a good game vs the Spits

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Gillard is going to be out all year. Or it’s expected to be about 6 months. Don’t count on him back anytime soon

As for who sits.. would imagine Gritz/Cohen/Sellan are on the lower end of the depth chart for the forwards

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Who sits when the injured return to the lineup? Should they mess with the current chemistry...although Erie did get crushed by the Knights I thought they had a good game vs the Spits

Gritz is the only one playing center consistently out of the bottom 3. Cohen and Sellan have been playing the wing. The three returning players are all wingers.

Fowler and Singer are your top 2 needing spots for those returning and that only leaves Sedore for the weekend. Whether or not Sedore would take the 3rd forward spot is probably the biggest question mark depending on if you keep Gritz at center for line 4 or if you have someone else on the 4th line at center.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm guessing we'll see Sedore and Cohen split games this weekend. But Cohen has been pretty good thus so far it wouldn't surprise me too much if Cohen plays both and either Sellan or Gritz sits a game to get Sedore in at least once. I'm guessing something like:

Golod-Swankler-Singer/Hoffmann
Sproule-Yetman-Hoffmann/Singer
D'Amato-Lockhart-Fowler
Sellan-Gritz-Sedore/Cohen

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Golden
Morton-Beamish

Not sure enitrely sure about the top 9 line combos but those 9 deserve the playing time the most right now imo. I could see Murphy getting both starts, but if they split he should be in Friday and Campbell in on Saturday. Saturday is definitely a game they should win against a rebuilding Kingston team, but Friday night will be a huge test.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
I'm guessing we'll see Sedore and Cohen split games this weekend. But Cohen has been pretty good thus so far it wouldn't surprise me too much if Cohen plays both and either Sellan or Gritz sits a game to get Sedore in at least once. I'm guessing something like:

Golod-Swankler-Singer/Hoffmann
Sproule-Yetman-Hoffmann/Singer
D'Amato-Lockhart-Fowler
Sellan-Gritz-Sedore/Cohen

Henry-Drysdale
Duff-Golden
Morton-Beamish

Not sure enitrely sure about the top 9 line combos but those 9 deserve the playing time the most right now imo. I could see Murphy getting both starts, but if they split he should be in Friday and Campbell in on Saturday. Saturday is definitely a game they should win against a rebuilding Kingston team, but Friday night will be a huge test.

Management will have to start thinking about contending for next year and who to keep. They have 4 2000 forwards and 1 1999, and 3 2000 dmen and 1 1999.

They are ok with the 99s for this year, but if they are not key players, then it make sense to develop some of the 02s and 03s down the stretch.

Also, they will have to decide for 2000s who to keep next year, Golod, Yetman, Gritz, Macdougall as forwards and Duff, Henry and Beamish as dmen. I would assume they will keep Duff, Henry and Golod, Yetman and have to move one of these 4 by September.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Just wanted to mention I was impressed with the new colour schemes for Erie's out of town dark colour jerseys. Nicest looking ones I have seen Erie use.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
A couple of things:

1) I don’t see Erie splitting up Golod/Yetman. They have been our best forwards and have chemistry right now, so I expect they stay on the same line

2) Obviously Murphy will get the start Friday vs Saginaw. But I see no need to play him Saturday. It’s a perfect start for Campbell. Kingston has about as bad of an offense as you can have in the OHL. It’s a nice game to continue to build up some confidence for Campbell. As much as Murphy has played great, they still NEED Campbell to continue to trend upwards as he is the future

3) I think Erie will go on rotation in the forward group until they figure out what to do. Sedore/Cohen will be rotated. Sellan also could see some bench time. Wouldn’t be shocked if Lockhart gets bench time too on a long weekend. Based off the injury history issues.. I don’t think Erie makes a roster move anytime soon though

4) as for the 2000s and next years team ..

It’s pretty easy right now that MacDougall / Gritz are the odd men out. Erie has enough young depth to develop that it shouldn’t be any issue replacing them. Singer / Golden are losses but not huge ones. That leaves:

Beamish / Henry / Duff
Golod / Yetman / Murphy

Murphy could stay if the OA rule on goalies goes into a effect. If not? Erie likely turns to Campbell and trades for a veteran to fill the void.

Duff is a lock based on his leadership. Imo Yetman is a lock over Golod, but if I were Erie I would keep both. Unless they want to trade one THIS year (higher value). Henry/ Beamish could have some trade value as an OA.
There is really only 2/3 moves that will have to be made. The import draft and Khusnutdinov showing up or not will influence some decisions. Plus the development of guys like Morton, Sedore, Cohen

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just wanted to mention I was impressed with the new colour schemes for Erie's out of town dark colour jerseys. Nicest looking ones I have seen Erie use.

Appreciate the post

when they were initially revealed in May, many fans around the league hated them. Some even thought they were black/gold. But it’s amazing how much better they look on the ice. The blue are definitely my favorite jerseys now. The white are growing on me a bit as they also look better live, but mannnn those blues are sharp!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
A couple of things:

1) I don’t see Erie splitting up Golod/Yetman. They have been our best forwards and have chemistry right now, so I expect they stay on the same line

2) Obviously Murphy will get the start Friday vs Saginaw. But I see no need to play him Saturday. It’s a perfect start for Campbell. Kingston has about as bad of an offense as you can have in the OHL. It’s a nice game to continue to build up some confidence for Campbell. As much as Murphy has played great, they still NEED Campbell to continue to trend upwards as he is the future

3) I think Erie will go on rotation in the forward group until they figure out what to do. Sedore/Cohen will be rotated. Sellan also could see some bench time. Wouldn’t be shocked if Lockhart gets bench time too on a long weekend. Based off the injury history issues.. I don’t think Erie makes a roster move anytime soon though

4) as for the 2000s and next years team ..

It’s pretty easy right now that MacDougall / Gritz are the odd men out. Erie has enough young depth to develop that it shouldn’t be any issue replacing them. Singer / Golden are losses but not huge ones. That leaves:

Beamish / Henry / Duff
Golod / Yetman / Murphy

Murphy could stay if the OA rule on goalies goes into a effect. If not? Erie likely turns to Campbell and trades for a veteran to fill the void.

Duff is a lock based on his leadership. Imo Yetman is a lock over Golod, but if I were Erie I would keep both. Unless they want to trade one THIS year (higher value). Henry/ Beamish could have some trade value as an OA.
There is really only 2/3 moves that will have to be made. The import draft and Khusnutdinov showing up or not will influence some decisions. Plus the development of guys like Morton, Sedore, Cohen

They were split up in the win against Windsor on Saturday.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post. My OAs would be Duff/Yetman/Golod, in that order of importance. I don't think I would keep Murphy even if the OA goalie rule goes into effect. Let Campbell take over as starter (assuming things go well this season) and have an open camp for the backup spot. Bryce Walcarius seems promising there.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
They were split up in the win against Windsor on Saturday.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post. My OAs would be Duff/Yetman/Golod, in that order of importance. I don't think I would keep Murphy even if the OA goalie rule goes into effect. Let Campbell take over as starter (assuming things go well this season) and have an open camp for the backup spot. Bryce Walcarius seems promising there.

that I think was by no other choice though. We were down to 10 forwards.
It was likely a desperate move to at least create some level of balance in the top 6

If it were me though I would keep them together. I would put Fowler with Swankler on the 2nd line

The OA situation seems complex with all the 2000s, but like you said, it’s really not. Murphy is only an option IF the OA goalie spot rule changes. I agree, they don’t need to keep him though. But it will depend on where Campbell is at. And Henry seems redundant if we have Duff / Morton. It would seem likely that Erie would try to draft an import defender. But I think both Golod / Yetman would have the chance to be some of the top OA forwards in the league. We should keep both

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
that I think was by no other choice though. We were down to 10 forwards.
It was likely a desperate move to at least create some level of balance in the top 6

If it were me though I would keep them together. I would put Fowler with Swankler on the 2nd line

The OA situation seems complex with all the 2000s, but like you said, it’s really not. Murphy is only an option IF the OA goalie spot rule changes. I agree, they don’t need to keep him though. But it will depend on where Campbell is at. And Henry seems redundant if we have Duff / Morton. It would seem likely that Erie would try to draft an import defender. But I think both Golod / Yetman would have the chance to be some of the top OA forwards in the league. We should keep both

Probably but I like the way it looked. I think there's some merit to splitting up your top two players. Golod and Swankler seemed to have some chemistry as well. We'll see what Hartsburg does.

My rough lineup for next season would be:

Golod-Swankler-Hoffmann
Sproule-Lockhart-Yetman
D'Amato/Sellan-Cohen-Fowler
Sedore-Bressette-????

Duff-Drysdale
Morton-Gillard/Kischnick
Murphy-Kyrou

I think only one of D'Amato/Sellan should be here (seems like D'Amato has the edge thus far because of his speed but it's still very early) and only one of Gillard/Kischnick. We'll see how Gillard recovers. Khushnutdinov and Saganiuk would be huge additions. That would also allow them to go after a dman in the import draft to bolster the top 4 and bring Murphy/Kyrou along more carefully.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think the biggest thing with all that you mentioned EON is the options for the team

The team will have a likely top 25-30 pick in the import draft. It will be another chance for them to draft a high talent and it’s where I could see them taking an NHL drafted player.

There is also the option of Khusnutdinov, which we can’t rule out for next season.

There is also enough options in the 2000 group where Erie should have great OAs next season, something you need to have to win in this league. They then might have the ability to trade one for a solid return.

There are also some good guys developing in the system such as Bressette, Kyrou, Murphy.

And of course there is the young guys already on this roster and capable of being bigger impact guys next season

I said before the season but I’ll say again: this is just a year to get on the right track for next season. If the team has any chance to be something next year, they need to (and should be) a middle pack team that’s capable of hanging with the top teams on some nights. A team that also takes care of business against the weak eastern conference and bottom teams of the west. Being a team that then is a bit competitive in the playoffs (even if that just means winning 2 games) is what we need to be hopeful for. We aren’t going to win 27-29 games with the same roster, then return that roster next year and expect to win 45-50. That’s not happening. So if this team is winning at the same pace as last year: fire the coach and restart the cycle. I think we have a roster this year though that could shape up well next year if things go our way, but the first step is winning 36/37 games this year and showing we are on that right track

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Probably but I like the way it looked. I think there's some merit to splitting up your top two players. Golod and Swankler seemed to have some chemistry as well. We'll see what Hartsburg does.

My rough lineup for next season would be:

Golod-Swankler-Hoffmann
Sproule-Lockhart-Yetman
D'Amato/Sellan-Cohen-Fowler
Sedore-Bressette-????

Duff-Drysdale
Morton-Gillard/Kischnick
Murphy-Kyrou

I think only one of D'Amato/Sellan should be here (seems like D'Amato has the edge thus far because of his speed but it's still very early) and only one of Gillard/Kischnick. We'll see how Gillard recovers. Khushnutdinov and Saganiuk would be huge additions. That would also allow them to go after a dman in the import draft to bolster the top 4 and bring Murphy/Kyrou along more carefully.

Based on performances so far, I would recommend:

Golod-Yetman-Sproule
Damato-Swankler-Cohen
Sellan-Lockhart- Hoffman
Sedore-Gritz-Bressette

Didnt consider injured players.

Dmen are fine above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino