Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Alex Gritz.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with him? Trade/Release? Wasn't in the lineup and was curious if anyone had any inside info.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Alex Gritz.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with him? Trade/Release? Wasn't in the lineup and was curious if anyone had any inside info.

He was at the game walking around prior to faceoff. I assume with Fowler and Singer returning he was the odd man out of the rotation.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Central Scouting initial ratings are out

Drysdale - A
Campbell - B
Fowler - C
Hoffmann - C

Surprised to see Fowler as a C and not B. But nice to see Campbell get early respect with a B. He has been great so far this year and with his size and athleticism, should be a strong draft candidate

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Gritz is probably on his way out soon. When you can't crack the top 9 as a 19 year old, your days are numbered unfortunately. He looked very promising his first season here but just hasn't really progressed since then.

I am surprised Fowler is at a C and not a B, but I also would have expected Campbell to be a C, hopefully he keeps this up. We've said this before but he is the best goalie prospect Erie has seen in a long time, maybe ever.

Reactions: NOA

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019
4 guys on Central scouting isn't bad for this year, clearly, the only possible guy on there in his first draft year would be Gillard but he's likely not making an appearance due to injury.

Drysdale obviously locked as the best prospect on the team, no surprise there

I do think the only reason Fowler isn't a B prospect is that he makes too many risky plays and sometimes gets lazy. If he can take that element out and start making easier plays he could just about crack an A or high B...

Hoffmann on a cold streak with 2 points in the last 7, only 10 shots as well, compared to 4sog/g in the preseason, he still cracks the C group, would be exciting to see where he could end up if he starts trending upward

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
No I don't believe so.
He was busy at USNDT training so wouldn’t have been there even if he really wanted to..

This means nothing to me. He’s a top tier USA player that probably had an offer from every single school he wanted to go to. So he committed in his home state? Cool. He also posted shortly after his draft status in Erie that he was an “Erie Otters prospect” and was in Erie for games during past few seasons. He has multiple connections to current players like Campbell and Swankler. Erie is definitely still in play for him. But he also has 1/2 years to decide and things change

Have to love Mr. Genny following this one closely though :)

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
He was busy at USNDT training so wouldn’t have been there even if he really wanted to..

This means nothing to me. He’s a top tier USA player that probably had an offer from every single school he wanted to go to. So he committed in his home state? Cool. He also posted shortly after his draft status in Erie that he was an “Erie Otters prospect” and was in Erie for games during past few seasons. He has multiple connections to current players like Campbell and Swankler. Erie is definitely still in play for him. But he also has 1/2 years to decide and things change

Have to love Mr. Genny following this one closely though :)
Something is telling me he's going to pull an Owen Headrick and commit within the next year or so. He could contribute immediately here but at the same time its nice to have our 3rd-4th line guys develop. I think he will be an Otter some day. Commitment means nothing especially if it is in his home state as NOA mentioned. It just seems like he committed just to have a back up plan. People commit to schools and transfer all the time.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Something is telling me he's going to pull an Owen Headrick and commit within the next year or so. He could contribute immediately here but at the same time its nice to have our 3rd-4th line guys develop. I think he will be an Otter some day. Commitment means nothing especially if it is in his home state as NOA mentioned. It just seems like he committed just to have a back up plan. People commit to schools and transfer all the time.

This is him simply picking the top college of his choice. Shutting down the recruitment and every other school calling him or trying to get him on board. He also has Erie as the OHL option. College was an option before or after the commitment and Erie was never going to have him vocally commit until 2020-21 at best or likely 2021-22. That’s 2 years away..

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
.....Have to love Mr. Genny following this one closely though :)

Weird comment. Yeah, I'm an OHL fan (I assume everyone on here is?) so when a guy picked as high as the 2nd round commits to NCAA, that's news.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Weird comment. Yeah, I'm an OHL fan (I assume everyone on here is?) so when a guy picked as high as the 2nd round commits to NCAA, that's news.

I thought the comment was perfecto

the only OHL news you post on other threads are ones that are the non positive nature

Don’t recall you posting the breaking news of Erie signing Swankler or Campbell
Or even news of the new 10 year lease agreement in Erie and millions of dollars being invested into the arena over the next few years

Nope.. the only time I ever see your username on this thread is when it’s “negative” news. Lame but not a surprising attempt by you though to spin it your way as an OHL fan just providing news :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: OttersFan

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I thought the comment was perfecto

the only OHL news you post on other threads are ones that are the non positive nature

Don’t recall you posting the breaking news of Erie signing Swankler or Campbell
Or even news of the new 10 year lease agreement in Erie and millions of dollars being invested into the arena over the next few years

Nope.. the only time I ever see your username on this thread is when it’s “negative” news. Lame but not a surprising attempt by you though to spin it your way as an OHL fan just providing news :laugh:

I have over 3,000 posts. You follow me closely enough to what every single one of my posts have been about? Actually, don’t answer that. The answer will likely just weird me out....

I literally didn’t even provide a comment, just put his twitter post in here, which then sparked a comment thread from OttersFan, which is literally the point of this website. You need to lose the sensitivity my guy!

As is the case with almost every OHL story, I saw it on twitter and went on here to see what Otters fans were saying about it, but nobody had posted it yet. I did the same with the Swankler signing and the Campbell one (but didn’t need to post them because there were already long discussions happening on them), as well as pretty much every other OHL news with all 20 teams, as I’m sure most fans do on here. Lighten up, the whole world isn’t out to get you

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I have over 3,000 posts. You follow me closely enough to what every single one of my posts have been about? Actually, don’t answer that. The answer will likely just weird me out....

I literally didn’t even provide a comment, just put his twitter post in here, which then sparked a comment thread from OttersFan, which is literally the point of this website. You need to lose the sensitivity my guy!

As is the case with almost every OHL story, I saw it on twitter and went on here to see what Otters fans were saying about it, but nobody had posted it yet. I did the same with the Swankler signing and the Campbell one (but didn’t need to post them because there were already long discussions happening on them), as well as pretty much every other OHL news with all 20 teams, as I’m sure most fans do on here. Lighten up, the whole world isn’t out to get you

aahhhhhh I knew you would spin it

big time OHL fan just breaking news!!

Nope I don’t follow your posts, I simply follow the threads on this site and never see you breaking positive news on other threads. On the Erie thread?? That’s an absolute NEVER.

just “late to the party” according to you though

but the Saganiuk news.. ahhhhh just happened to be 20 mins after the news. Great timing!!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Kish out, possibly 4 - 6 weeks.

MacDougall is day to day likely out this weekend.

Golod is sick, but expected back for the weekend.

Per Mark Scheig

Jeff Smith

Oct 8, 2019
Gritz is probably on his way out soon. When you can't crack the top 9 as a 19 year old, your days are numbered unfortunately. He looked very promising his first season here but just hasn't really progressed since then.

I am surprised Fowler is at a C and not a B, but I also would have expected Campbell to be a C, hopefully he keeps this up. We've said this before but he is the best goalie prospect Erie has seen in a long time, maybe ever.
I think Gritz would have cracked the top 9 if he wasn’t battling that shoulder last year. I feel like he earned a longer look this season with some talent on his wing. I also don’t think he’s hit his ceiling. I hope they give him the courtesy of finding him a trade.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think Gritz would have cracked the top 9 if he wasn’t battling that shoulder last year. I feel like he earned a longer look this season with some talent on his wing. I also don’t think he’s hit his ceiling. I hope they give him the courtesy of finding him a trade.

they will 100% explore a trade option for him if available. But I’m unsure of what his value would be.

Mack went for a 13th round pick as a similar bottom line forward but also was willing to fight

Jeff Smith

Oct 8, 2019
they will 100% explore a trade option for him if available. But I’m unsure of what his value would be.

Mack went for a 13th round pick as a similar bottom line forward but also was willing to fight
If they can hang on until after the weekend I’m sure somebody will need a two way forward that still has some growing to do. It’s crazy being 19 and getting swept up in a youth movement. There have been much tougher journeys to the NHL.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If they can hang on until after the weekend I’m sure somebody will need a two way forward that still has some growing to do. It’s crazy being 19 and getting swept up in a youth movement. There have been much tougher journeys to the NHL.

it’s difficult when most teams would
rather go with the younger option or go with “their guy”

for instance, if Erie needed a bottom 6 forward, would they trade for a guy like Josh Nelson or just keep Gritz? They would just keep Gritz..

teams are not going to cut bait with someone unless it’s to replace them with someone young and/or better. In other words, likely no team will be interested in trading for Gritz unless they have injuries and need a body. But even in that situation, they could turn to youth with a guy they are developing.

I like Gritz and wished he would have developed more offensively. He had a good season in 2017-18. But had a down year last year. He needed to come on strong to stick around. They picked him over Mack to start the year. That said, once they get healthy there is an age factor that has to be considered. Sedore, Cohen in particular need to be playing

Jeff Smith

Oct 8, 2019
it’s difficult when most teams would
rather go with the younger option or go with “their guy”

for instance, if Erie needed a bottom 6 forward, would they trade for a guy like Josh Nelson or just keep Gritz? They would just keep Gritz..

teams are not going to cut bait with someone unless it’s to replace them with someone young and/or better. In other words, likely no team will be interested in trading for Gritz unless they have injuries and need a body. But even in that situation, they could turn to youth with a guy they are developing.

I like Gritz and wished he would have developed more offensively. He had a good season in 2017-18. But had a down year last year. He needed to come on strong to stick around. They picked him over Mack to start the year. That said, once they get healthy there is an age factor that has to be considered. Sedore, Cohen in particular need to be playing

Yeah, this appears to be the case. If there are no injuries over this weekend he may be headed for another league. I think there is some upside to getting him now though because he's healthy but still not in tip top game shape. A separated shoulder is one of those injuries that simply slows your progress. Timing is everything in life. Lets see where he lands and hope for the best. It's hard not to root for a player that never gives less than 100 percent.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Kind of Otter related...

Shooter is being replaced? Is this because of his name and gun violence or did they really think his conduct was not proper? The news release said there was a video of improper conduct that came to light and they made a parody video of him being hauled away.

Kind of a shock really...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Kind of Otter related...

Shooter is being replaced? Is this because of his name and gun violence or did they really think his conduct was not proper? The news release said there was a video of improper conduct that came to light and they made a parody video of him being hauled away.

Kind of a shock really...
I'ts a staged video/ marketing ploy - notice the place is empty except for the few actors/fans there in that section.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
So he is being replaced just because...

Could have done it before the season started, instead of having a "formal letter" released from the team and make a joke video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191010-170801_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-170801_Gallery.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->