Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
It will come off as a "smart" play by Hartsburg, I'm sure.

This team finally rallied for each other, I don't think it revolves around Hartsburg being smart about it at all. If the interviews were any indication, post game, the win, was in part a result of Kish, Hartsburg just finally made a choice that finally worked out in his favor.

Drysdale stepping up and saying...yes, I'll take a penalty shot and the team using Kish for motivation seemed to be the difference. If you wanna call it the coaching, that's fine...I think the team came together and played for themselves and each other in spite of the coaching last night.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
It will come off as a "smart" play by Hartsburg, I'm sure.

This team finally rallied for each other, I don't think it revolves around Hartsburg being smart about it at all. If the interviews were any indication, post game, the win, was in part a result of Kish, Hartsburg just finally made a choice that finally worked out in his favor.

Drysdale stepping up and saying...yes, I'll take a penalty shot and the team using Kish for motivation seemed to be the difference. If you wanna call it the coaching, that's fine...I think the team came together and played for themselves and each other in spite of the coaching last night.

Could not agree more with this and with the EIA being a great atmosphere. Unfortunately it has not been that way the last few seasons.

Overall the week was not terrible. A loss in Kitchener where Erie deserved the win, a mediocre performance against Barrie but got a point, and great second and third last night with a rally to get the win. Hopefully this can continue tomorrow into Missy.

Side note, I noticed Fowler did not come out for the third as well and I have not heard or seen anything about him.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Great job Aiden "Soup" Campbell on your first career OHL shutout!

The whole team played well yesterday. Hopefully they can roll this into a nice winning streak. Although unlikely the 6th still is still a possibility and would give them a much better round one match up.

Side note, I saw Fowler is listed as day to day. Not sure what happened but the team has played well in his absence.

Reactions: Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Anyone else think that Campbell needs to play more? Murphy has struggled lately and Campbell has started to play a bit more consistent

Last 8 games for both (for Campbell since the new calendar year)

Murphy - 32GA, .872%
Campbell - 23GA, .896%

Murphy has played a slightly tougher schedule but it’s not that dramatic of a difference imo.
I just think Campbell is critical to the future. Having him become a great goalie means Erie will surely be competitive the next 2/3 years.

At the least, I want to see an even 50/50 split with the remaining games. Would also not be opposed to Campbell getting a few more starts if he continues on his current pace. Once the playoffs start, Campbell better see 1/2 games of action unless Murphy is stealing a series

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Interesting note:

11 of Erie’s 20 regulation losses have been decided by 1/2 goals. Of course this combined with their 11 extra time losses shows how competitive they have been but also how they have lacked an ability to win some close games. Partly due to their lack of PP, coaching, and other issues. Regardless, it’s nice to see them at least be in close games all year long. Though it’s also frustrating to know they could have 5/6 more wins this year

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Anyone else think that Campbell needs to play more? Murphy has struggled lately and Campbell has started to play a bit more consistent

Last 8 games for both (for Campbell since the new calendar year)

Murphy - 32GA, .872%
Campbell - 23GA, .896%

Murphy has played a slightly tougher schedule but it’s not that dramatic of a difference imo.
I just think Campbell is critical to the future. Having him become a great goalie means Erie will surely be competitive the next 2/3 years.

At the least, I want to see an even 50/50 split with the remaining games. Would also not be opposed to Campbell getting a few more starts if he continues on his current pace. Once the playoffs start, Campbell better see 1/2 games of action unless Murphy is stealing a series

I struggle with that in my mind...

When Campbell is on, he is untouchable. I can't say he plays as consistently as Murphy, yet. Campbell has had his share of wtf moments, but it should be more expected than Murphy at this point in their careers.

Without too much thought, I would like to see Campbell play more but I guess I understand why Murphy gets the nod more often.

I personally would like to see Campbell running a 1:1 with Murphy this late in the season because if we do make the playoffs this year or next, Campbell is likely the guy to be between the pipes. My only reservation is Murphy has been with us through the painful rebuild and has in a sense, earned the right to be the true number 1 at this point. Outside of loyalty, Campbell plays nearly on the same level as Murphy right now IMO so if we are talking future, Campbell edges Murphy.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I struggle with that in my mind...

When Campbell is on, he is untouchable. I can't say he plays as consistently as Murphy, yet. Campbell has had his share of wtf moments, but it should be more expected than Murphy at this point in their careers.

Without too much thought, I would like to see Campbell play more but I guess I understand why Murphy gets the nod more often.

I personally would like to see Campbell running a 1:1 with Murphy this late in the season because if we do make the playoffs this year or next, Campbell is likely the guy to be between the pipes. My only reservation is Murphy has been with us through the painful rebuild and has in a sense, earned the right to be the true number 1 at this point. Outside of loyalty, Campbell plays nearly on the same level as Murphy right now IMO so if we are talking future, Campbell edges Murphy.

I should have added that I believe Murphy has been the proper choice to be “the guy” but as the team goes late into the year/playoffs.. Murphy has regressed and Campbell has been better. So with the future implications in mind (like you state), I would like to see at the very least an even split between the 2 goalies the rest of the way

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Just took another look at the final schedule:

Fri, Sat, Sun
Fri, Sat, Sun
Wed, Sat, Sun
Fri, Sat, Sun
Sat, Sun

These boys are gonna be tired with only 2 of the teams under 500, every point is a chance to move up.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Just took another look at the final schedule:

Fri, Sat, Sun
Fri, Sat, Sun
Wed, Sat, Sun
Fri, Sat, Sun
Sat, Sun

These boys are gonna be tired with only 2 of the teams under 500, every point is a chance to move up.

Definitely a tough schedule to end the season. If they are able to move up in the standings they are going to have to earn it.
To go along with Campbell and playing time I to lean toward a 50/50 split unless one or the other goes on a hot streak. The schedule above will force them to start Campbell at least 4 more times but I would hope he gets more.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
I’ve always thought the league and the jump into the OHL is a little harsh on first year players ..

I think we could say that about quite a few of our top end draft picks no matter who they are - the second year made a huge difference though ..

Next year will give us a better indication about Campbell

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
Where has Lockhart been in the lineup this season, and where do you think he'll be next season?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Where has Lockhart been in the lineup this season, and where do you think he'll be next season?
He has been getting consistent top 6 minutes for a few months now.

Golod / Yetman / Fowler / Swankler are locked into the top 6 next year assuming they are back. Lockhart is only going to get better and the only people that would be likely to jump him are Khustnutdinov (if signed) and another potential import (if drafted and signed). But otherwise he’s in line to be a top 5/6 forward on the team next year

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017

Agree with what NOA said. IMO he has improved quite a lot from the start of the season and has been given more ice time in the top six as a result. He appears to be much more confident now then the first few months of the season. I look for him to hopefully work hard in the off season and be one of the leading scorers on the team next year. He has a great wrist/snap shot release and power for his size. It is a matter of time before he starts putting up more goals.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agree with what NOA said. IMO he has improved quite a lot from the start of the season and has been given more ice time in the top six as a result. He appears to be much more confident now then the first few months of the season. I look for him to hopefully work hard in the off season and be one of the leading scorers on the team next year. He has a great wrist/snap shot release and power for his size. It is a matter of time before he starts putting up more goals.
It’s difficult as a rookie to adjust to the speed and bigger players. I always view it that anything more than 20pts is pretty solid for a rookie. Getting over 30pts (or 0.45 ppg) is even more impressive. Lockhart is close to getting to that 30pt mark and has missed 5 games this year (currently at 0.48ppg pace)

He’s on pace to finish around what Taylor Raddysh, Ryan O’Mara, Lodnia and McShane did as rookies.
Raddysh/Lodnia/McShane got good ice time with tremendous talent/teams. So what Lockhart has done from a production standpoint is pretty good. Especially with how often the lines are shuffled by Hartsburg..

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
All the awesome positivity about Lockhart...

He is on the 4th line...ffs Hartsburg

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
We have absolutely zero offensive threat. Shots are equal but we have no real scoring chances the entire second period. All our shots are from the periphery. No net front presence no physicality. It’s sickening to watch.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
We have absolutely zero offensive threat. Shots are equal but we have no real scoring chances the entire second period. All our shots are from the periphery. No net front presence no physicality. It’s sickening to watch.
No Fowler. No Sopa. Playing a top 5 team in the league .. what do you expect?

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
I expect effort. I expect some sense of creativity and urgency. I expect coaching that teaches the importance of playing in front of the net. I expect our coaches not being content with being “in a playoff spot” and being “right where we want to be.......in 8th spot

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
I expect effort. I expect some sense of creativity and urgency. I expect coaching that teaches the importance of playing in front of the net. I expect our coaches not being content with being “in a playoff spot” and being “right where we want to be.......in 8th spot
3 on 1 and we shoot it at the goalie’s crest!!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

It isn't like this hasn't been the theme all year. There is almost no creativity in the offensive zone and no one who really has a nose for goal, we lack that true assassin up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad