Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
What team is this? When they're on, they're on.

2 SH, 2 PP goals....

Swankler 3PT night (2G, 1A)
Golden 3PT (3A)
Sellan 2PT (2G)
Yetman 2PT (2G)
Drysdale 2PT (2A)

This is the hockey we have been waiting for.
Great team effort tonight. Firing on all cylinders. Fun to watch.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Potential for claiming the 7th spot this afternoon!

3rd game in 3 days, let's hope the high of last night's win carries them through today so they can get the break they need.

Reactions: TDTDTD

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
A difference maker last night was Jack Duff being the captain. He dropped the gloves early as Kish would have and played physical all night. That set the tone that Erie meant business.

Chad Yetman who had a goal drought up until recently, picking up back to back shorty goals.

A player like Brenden Sellan who came out of no where to have a shorty and a PP goal. His line has been clicking and i'm glad he was finally able to see some tallies.

Big game today and if the boys play today like they did last night, they will be in good shape.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Chad Yetman who had a goal drought up until recently, picking up back to back shorty goals.

Big game today and if the boys play today like they did last night, they will be in good shape.

Yetman had a goal drought? What are you talking about? He literally had scored in 3 straight games (4 goals overall) going into last night .. Prior to that he went 4 games without a goal but if you think that’s a drought then your expectations need to be adjusted. He’s actually been consistent all year with scoring and never has really had a long “drought.”

as for the game today - given the 3 in 3 and banged up roster, plus difficulty of beating a team on back to back days.. It’s unlikely Erie is able to play like that again. Would be surprised if they even win

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A difference maker last night was Jack Duff being the captain. He dropped the gloves early as Kish would have and played physical all night. That set the tone that Erie meant business.

A player like Brenden Sellan who came out of no where to have a shorty and a PP goal. His line has been clicking and i'm glad he was finally able to see some tallies.

Duff was a wall, so was Henry. Drysdale is a real gem, the kids got a pro style shot and skating. Yetman, Sellan, Golod. You've got some nice pieces there.

Your best players played the best.

The Attack had no answer for the physicality.

They should have, but they didnt. Our best line was our 4th. Samanski, LeSage and Mahacek, at least showed some energy.

The race to the bottom part 2, today.

I wouldn't mind the Attack falling.

Perennial 10th place finishes has resulted in a lot of mediocre results.

Time to complete the rebuild,started last season .

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Yetman had a goal drought? What are you talking about? He literally had scored in 3 straight games (4 goals overall) going into last night .. Prior to that he went 4 games without a goal but if you think that’s a drought then your expectations need to be adjusted. He’s actually been consistent all year with scoring and never has really had a long “drought.”

as for the game today - given the 3 in 3 and banged up roster, plus difficulty of beating a team on back to back days.. It’s unlikely Erie is able to play like that again. Would be surprised if they even win

Roster is pretty banged up...I would consider 1 point a win today. If we can squeak out 2 points that is a bonus.

I will be curious to see if they stay with Murphy or put Campbell back between the pipes for the 3rd of the 3 games. Maybe a precursor if Murphy starts that Hartsburg has a little more confidence is Murphy in big games to this point. If Campbell starts I would think it indicates he basically has them in equal light.

As far as Yeti, I can see why people may think it was a "drought". He started off red hot with his goal streak into double digit games if I am not mistaken only bested by DeBrincat? Regardless, Yeti has been pretty consistent this year as his PPG has been above 1 all season.

Reactions: OttersFan

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Duff was a wall, so was Henry. Drysdale is a real gem, the kids got a pro style shot and skating. Yetman, Sellan, Golod. You've got some nice pieces there.

They should have, but they didnt. Our best line was our 4th. Samanski, LeSage and Mahacek, at least showed some energy.

Good to hear Henry played solid. There was a little controversy/debate at the beginning of the season and also at the trade deadline if he may he shipped due to our overage situation next season.

Duff being on top of the d-line sans Drysdale who is just off the charts is great as well. I felt as though his leadership may have hit a bit of a plateau myself through the middle of the season, but I hope he can rise to the occasion as the season winds down.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Erie was the better team last night capitalizing on Attack's mistakes. Congrats on the win. Nice to see a few Otters fans at the game last night. Attack fans always receive a warm welcome when we visit Erie. May the better team win today.

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018

By drought I meant he was looking for chances after Christmas break they weren't bouncing in. He's been stellar all year, but just couldn't finish near the deadline and it wasn't even a long drought (probably 3-4 games total). He's been tremendous as of late for sure and deserves to be on the scoresheet every night. He was just so good at the beginning of the season that he was on the scoresheet most nights, but he hit a rock for a few games and couldn't find the back of the net. Glad he's back in his groove.

Interesting, Cooney said he tried taping his stick a different way in Kitchener and he scored. He scored again in Owen Sound so i'm curious to see if that will become his superstition. I'm glad bounces are going his way. He brings it every night.

Last edited:

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017

A proper rebuild would have involved moving a couple 19 year olds and playing said 4th. line a whole lot more.

Pukerken

Feb 18, 2020

Agree. This is what I’m talking about...“drought”. People like him throw s..t against the wall and then waits to see what sticks. He knows nothing about hockey. He feels a sense of entitlement because he pays to watch them play. Then try's a lame rationale for his post.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Agree. This is what I’m talking about...“drought”. People like him throw s..t against the wall and then waits to see what sticks. He knows nothing about hockey. He feels a sense of entitlement because he pays to watch them play. Then try's a lame rationale for his post.
Everyone is entitled to share their thoughts and if you go back in the stats you'll see what i'm talking about. If we pay to watch them play, we are entitled to analyze the game. They aren't "just kids" when they get paid to play, all equipment supplied, and a huge education package after they're done playing. Without people in the stands, they wouldn't be playing hockey. This is a semi professional league and there's going to be criticism. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, so troll elsewhere?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
And I agree with both of them after further explanation from OttersFan as I too felt like Yeti was on a drought because he wasn't scoring every game. However as NOA pointed ou6 he really hasn't been.

Pukerken

Feb 18, 2020
Everyone is entitled to share their thoughts and if you go back in the stats you'll see what i'm talking about. If we pay to watch them play, we are entitled to analyze the game. They aren't "just kids" when they get paid to play, all equipment supplied, and a huge education package after they're done playing. Without people in the stands, they wouldn't be playing hockey. This is a semi professional league and there's going to be criticism. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, so

I have some homework for you...post something where the OHL claims to be a “semi professional league”...your words. Lets see if what you post, sticks.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Curious if Erie ever practiced how to take faceoffs? Because their FOW% has been so horrendous the last 3 years that it’s unheard of. Embarrassing in the dot all throughout Hartsburg’s tenure. You would think even just one year would have been lucky and went 50% but nope.. been a bottom feeder in the dot for 3 years.

Out of many reasons Erie was so dominant for 4 years with Knoblauch was their FOW%. They always were at or near the top. Hard to win games when you don’t possess the puck and hard to possess the puck when you don’t start with the puck

Reactions: TDTDTD

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Curious if Erie ever practiced how to take faceoffs? Because their FOW% has been so horrendous the last 3 years that it’s unheard of. Embarrassing in the dot all throughout Hartsburg’s tenure. You would think even just one year would have been lucky and went 50% but nope.. been a bottom feeder in the dot for 3 years.

Out of many reasons Erie was so dominant for 4 years with Knoblauch was their FOW%. They always were at or near the top. Hard to win games when you don’t possess the puck and hard to possess the puck when you don’t start with the puck

I guess if you wanted you could put the OHl app into a spreadsheet.

Yeti is close to 50% and Fowler + Swankler are just over 50% out of the team, but even when we "win" the battle of the faceoff we are just over 50%.

I guess to prove your point in the last 3 games: 39, 56, 30.

Even when we are playing "our best" FOW is not too much above 50.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
A split was ultimately the best scenario for the weekend especially in a 3-in-3 against OS. If the OHL website is up to date, we are tied at 59 pts. Sarnia took care of SOO today and they're still 5 pts behind us.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I guess if you wanted you could put the OHl app into a spreadsheet.

Yeti is close to 50% and Fowler + Swankler are just over 50% out of the team, but even when we "win" the battle of the faceoff we are just over 50%.

I guess to prove your point in the last 3 games: 39, 56, 30.

Even when we are playing "our best" FOW is not too much above 50.
I don’t have time to figure out the math on it but on 2/10/20 they were at 46.6% (courtesy of Geoff Brandow). That was, at the time, 18th in the league. Which was, at the time, less than 1% away from being the worst in the league.

Their FOW% could not have improved that much over the last few games..

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
A split was ultimately the best scenario for the weekend especially in a 3-in-3 against OS. If the OHL website is up to date, we are tied at 59 pts. Sarnia took care of SOO today and they're still 5 pts behind us.
Pay attention to the standings prior to the game if you are going to pay attention after the game..

They are now 2pts back of OS, OS with a game in hand

Also, nobody is concerned about SSM beating out Erie for the 8th seed. But let’s try to spin it positively and say that Erie is still in great shape, “look, we are still way up on SSM!!” .. This team missing the playoffs or making the playoffs as an 8th seed is basically the same thing to me. The goal this year was to be MORE competitive. Not be the same type of inconsistent crap. They should be chasing for 5/6 seed, but instead they are destined to finish 8 at best. What a lousy thing to be proud of. And with 11 games left, it’s unlikely they even get to 30 wins. What a season! But hey, they will make the playoffs so good improvement over last year, eh?

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, fair. Honestly it might be worth it to just take a higher pick and maybe win in the SO more often next year. This team is so much better than their record shows. I'd say we should get a new coach, but that's negative so let's hope we can see better results next year.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, fair. Honestly it might be worth it to just take a higher pick and maybe win in the SO more often next year. This team is so much better than their record shows. I'd say we should get a new coach, but that's negative so let's hope we can see better results next year.

I think that is the frustration though...

We tank, take a pic and have high expectations, fall flat of those expectations, tank, take a pick, have higher expectations, fall below those expectations...

We need to break the cycle otherwise even the top picks won't want to come here.

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I think that is the frustration though...

We tank, take a pic and have high expectations, fall flat of those expectations, tank, take a pick, have higher expectations, fall below those expectations...

We need to break the cycle otherwise even the top picks won't want to come here.
What's also frustrating is we shouldn't be fighting for an 8th seed either. NOA was right when they said we should be a 5/6 team. I think prospects want to see us do well the year before committing to Erie and so far the looks to next year, we haven't stayed healthy for more than maybe 1-2 games if that? I want us to have playoff experience, but i'm not counting the SOO out just yet considering in the west it's "still anybody's game". Any playoff experience is good for this younger team, but our vets have to be vets and show the rookies what it takes to be successful. If we miss playoffs this year, it wouldn't be surprising to see ticket sales next year drop even further than they already have.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Part of the reason London and Kitchner are perpetually good teams is because they finish the seasons consistently in the top 6 and can be considered "contenders" in most seasons.

People want to come to those places for the exposure. Erie, aside from great coaching during the McDavid years, excelled at recruiting because the team was top caliber.

The longer you go as a bottom feeder the harder it is to get top commits which is why a 6th seed or higher was so important this year.

Reactions: NOA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad