Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
The only thing I worry about, and NOA has eluded to it several times...

We miss the playoffs and it actually HURTS our chance to land the bigger fish in the long run. Kinda the catch 22 I guess you could say. We tank even further and you can probably count Marat, Alexander, Saganuik as NEVER contemplating coming to Erie.

I see your point but I personally don't think making the playoffs as the 8th seed would change the minds of the players you mentioned. I think getting a higher pick is more valuable but that's just my opinion.

If they are able to land Marat and Saganuik in the off season that would be huge. Alexander seems to be a huge long shot at best by now. I think the next few weeks and this upcoming off season will determine the future direction of this franchise. They either climb out of the hole of a longer than expected rebuild or the four 50 win years were an anomaly.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I see your point but I personally don't think making the playoffs as the 8th seed would change the minds of the players you mentioned. I think getting a higher pick is more valuable but that's just my opinion.

If they are able to land Marat and Saganuik in the off season that would be huge. Alexander seems to be a huge long shot at best by now. I think the next few weeks and this upcoming off season will determine the future direction of this franchise. They either climb out of the hole of a longer than expected rebuild or the four 50 win years were an anomaly.

There is no way we go to the 50+ win season 4 times again, any time soon.

But I think it would be fair to say Erie should have a goal of say, minimum 35 wins EVERY season. That would put us in the realm of 4th to 6th seed in most years. I really don't think that is a lot to ask.

I also don't see this head coach doing it. If we hit 35 wins, roughly, every year for 3 - 5 years in a row the commits like Marat, Alexander, and Sanaguik will be lining up to play because they have a hope and a prayer of a championship. This 20 - 30 win stuff will not attract elite talent on a consistent basis to build a formidable team.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
There is no way we go to the 50+ win season 4 times again, any time soon.

But I think it would be fair to say Erie should have a goal of say, minimum 35 wins EVERY season. That would put us in the realm of 4th to 6th seed in most years. I really don't think that is a lot to ask.

I also don't see this head coach doing it. If we hit 35 wins, roughly, every year for 3 - 5 years in a row the commits like Marat, Alexander, and Sanaguik will be lining up to play because they have a hope and a prayer of a championship. This 20 - 30 win stuff will not attract elite talent on a consistent basis to build a formidable team.

I should rephrase because I do not think the 50 wins four years in a row will happen any time soon either. I more so meant winning with any consistency from year to year. There can only be one London but if Erie could be similar to an Owen Sound or Oshawa I for one would be more than happy with that. And like you said if they could be that then swaying kids on the fence is not so hard.

I agree on the coaching and I have been saying for the past two seasons Hartsburg is not right the right fit. Nor do I feel Wes Wolfe is either. Hartsburg often says the team is not willing to work hard enough to win the close games. That may be true, but he is to blame for that as well. Part of the job of a head coach is to motivate the kids to play hard every game. Easier said than done I know but this has been a problem with him from day one.

Reactions: Goda and Mata

TDTDTD

Mar 5, 2019
It absolutely is the head coach's responsibility to motivate. And, being at the games, suggests he has no idea how to do that "during games". Since that's all we see as fans, there is no way to know otherwise.
All I can do is watch painfully and see the shootouts go 0-14 and still going. And, see the power play be ranked at the bottom of the league. I am a big football fan but many sports, including hockey are like a boxing match. You score on us, it is incumbent on us to score on you. Momentum is critical.

The Otters don't seem to know how to counter-punch and that is largely the head coach's responsibility. And, they don't seem to know how to run a man advantage and that is the offensive coordinator's role. Or, should I say Assistant Coach for offense.

Like others have suggested, until there is a directional coaching change, I'm not sure how much more money I want to dish into this.

Reactions: Puckit97

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This team is 1-4 in OT and 1-7 in the SO. It's a good sign they're keeping games close and in almost every game they play, but this is a lot of lost points. There was going to be some regression from the good luck they had last season but this is still a pretty pathetic effort. They should still make the playoffs as the 8 seed since SSM seems to be slowing down a bit, but with some better coaching and better OT/SO performances they could be pushing Guelph/OS for the 6 seed.

The positive is that they played pretty well against Kitchener Tuesday night in Kitchener's building, and the Rangers are a very possible first round opponent. By no means do I think Erie will pull an upset but they should keep the games close and maybe win a game or 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puckit97

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
This team is 1-4 in OT and 1-7 in the SO. It's a good sign they're keeping games close and in almost every game they play, but this is a lot of lost points. There was going to be some regression from the good luck they had last season but this is still a pretty pathetic effort. They should still make the playoffs as the 8 seed since SSM seems to be slowing down a bit, but with some better coaching and better OT/SO performances they be pushing Guelph/OS for the 6 seed.

The positive is that they played pretty well against Kitchener Tuesday night in Kitchener's building, and the Rangers are a very possible first round opponent. By no means do I think Erie will pull an upset but they should keep the games close and maybe win a game or 2.

It is a lot of lost points. I think another factor in that is with the exception of Drysdale this team has no high end talent and it is exposed in these situations.

On the positive note like you said they did play well on Tuesday. Ingham stole the game that night.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Ow
It is a lot of lost points. I think another factor in that is with the exception of Drysdale this team has no high end talent and it is exposed in these situations.

On the positive note like you said they did play well on Tuesday. Ingham stole the game that night.

how much high end talent does Guelph and OS really have though? I mean imo Erie doesn’t have much of it outside of Drysdale but that’s also throwing away a top player in the world at his age group. What they lack with top talent they should be making up for with their depth. Because overall they have a solid group of forwards. Yet coaching/players not working well together and we get what we are getting

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Drysdale is back tonight. With the Soo winning last night Erie now has a one point lead for the 8th seed. Although they do have 2 games in hand.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Drysdale is back tonight. With the Soo winning last night Erie now has a one point lead for the 8th seed. Although they do have 2 games in hand.

Their remaining schedule is pretty much made up of all playoff teams.

We don't have to worry about SOO if we win, but I actually see us dropping a majority of the 16 games left, Drysdale or not and putting our 8th seed in jeopardy.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Steelheads, Batallion, and one game against the Sting.

Steelheads are comparable to our level with Batallion and Sting being worse.

Everyone else remaining on the schedule is pretty much a lock for the playoffs. I would be surprised if we can get more than 8 wins out of the final 16, unless teams start resting starters towards the end of the season.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
6 offside? I think, maybe more in that first period...inexcusable.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Kish will be out at least 1 game for that fight, but damn he plays with heart.

Reactions: 7D442

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Kish will be out at least 1 game for that fight, but damn he plays with heart.

Why? That's only his 3rd fight that wasn't instigated upon. So now going forward he gets 2 games for every fight unless the other guy gets the instigator

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Oshawa trips and holds our guy... no call

We do it and it’s automatically called. Really Neely?

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Why? That's only his 3rd fight that wasn't instigated upon. So now going forward he gets 2 games for every fight unless the other guy gets the instigator

Going by what Sheig posted...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200215-210000_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-210000_Twitter.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 4

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Feels good to sweep Oshawa for the season. Refs were not on Erie’s side tonight.

Glad Yetman was finally able to get his goals since she hasn’t had a few in quite sometime.

Good win for the boys, this is a game they should look back on. Too many offsides called in the first period, but they pulled it together and got it done. Good team effort and they kept peppering them with shots. Keep the momentum going Erie.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Feels good to sweep Oshawa for the season. Refs were not on Erie’s side tonight.

Glad Yetman was finally able to get his goals since she hasn’t had a few in quite sometime.

Good win for the boys, this is a game they should look back on. Too many offsides called in the first period, but they pulled it together and got it done. Good team effort and they kept peppering them with shots. Keep the momentum going Erie.

Agreed, this is the type of team that we expected them to be. Hopefully it wasn't a 1 and done and they can ride this momentum.

Enjoy the win, get healthy, and keep this up.

Side note: I didn't see Fowler for the majority of the game and he wasn't on the bench for OT or the Shootout, wonder if it is a cause for concern.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It’s unfortunate Erie doesn’t play in the East. They would have about 7-8 more wins if playing in that lowly conference

Reactions: OttersFan and Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It’s unfortunate Erie doesn’t play in the East. They would have about 7-8 more wins if playing in that lowly conference
I agree. In recent years, has there really been any actual competition for first in each division for the eastern conference? I can’t even remember but maybe someone else will.

It’s a shame the divisions won’t be reconfigured. I don’t mind Erie having to fight for a spot (as it should be for any teams) but for the East we’d be in 5th even as a mediocre team. The West is just so competitive.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They wouldn’t even need the extra wins. They’d only be 2pts out of the Central lead and a 2 seed. That being said, Sudbury does have probably the easiest schedule in the league from here on out and I expect them to put up some W’s the rest of the way.

Reactions: NOA

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Kischnick needs to be a full time forward. He's just electric out there and really brings the team a good vibe. I'd let him take MacDougall's spot for the rest of the year. He just brings it and I think that's why the team was successful tonight.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Other observations from last night aside from Fowler disappearing.

Kish didn't play after the fight (disciplined or a slight knock)? He was on the bench and both Yeti and Drysdale came out and said his fight changed the course of the game in their eyes.

Wtf is Swankler still doing on the 4th line.

EIA is an electric atmosphere when it wants to be.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Other observations from last night aside from Fowler disappearing.

Kish didn't play after the fight (disciplined or a slight knock)? He was on the bench and both Yeti and Drysdale came out and said his fight changed the course of the game in their eyes.

Wtf is Swankler still doing on the 4th line.

EIA is an electric atmosphere when it wants to be.
And even though Kish didn’t play a minute after the third, he took on another role to just cheer on the team. Some players would have been angry to be benched or disciplined but he really was part of the game changer last night. He just doesn’t disappoint.

I wonder if it was to not put him at risk for suspension. He has 3 fights now, next one results in a 2 game suspension. Maybe they were playing it safe? I can’t imagine him getting benched for fighting. He fires up everyone. But at the same time I really don’t know what Hartsburg is ever thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad