Erie Otters 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I don’t recall them ever being that expensive..

I will also point out that 80-90% of the league has or have had similar prices to Erie or more expensive season ticket prices. It’s a league wide issue

I looked up that info...most teams are above Erie with regards to cost. Some of the larger clubs even have waiting lists to become a season ticket holder.

I didn't think the 600 was expensive, but certainly not an incentive with the BOGO offers and the Holiday Pack along with the $10 weekday games. It came out to like 17 a game for the center ice this year. Drop that to about 11.50 a game plus some perks for next year...it will make a lot of people think about season tickets at that price.

Reactions: NOA

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Also, Fowler is back on the 7th...or at least eligible to return.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I've hit my point of no return...

Swankler is on the 4th line tonight.

Hartsburg is the biggest joke in Erie.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I've hit my point of no return...

Swankler is on the 4th line tonight.

Hartsburg is the biggest joke in Erie.
Isn't he usually with MacDougall/Sopa / on the second line?

Must have done something such as being late to practice.

No way should he EVER be put on the 4th line "just because".

I'd be interested to hear more about that decision.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Isn't he usually with MacDougall/Sopa / on the second line?

Must have done something such as being late to practice.

No way should he EVER be put on the 4th line "just because".

I'd be interested to hear more about that decision.

Yes, he is usually 2nd when Fowler is healthy. I mean, they got a win against probably the 2nd worst team in the conference tonight, which is great, but not overly awesome. Anxious to see if Campbell played well in the win. 2-8 in the last 10 games though for Guelph. This is a game we should have won with ease.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
If Erie was in East they would be second playoff seed, First in the central. Of 20 games remaining, 3 against teams under 500

If Sudbury was in West they would not be in the playoffs, even with the easy schedule the east provides. 13 of 19 remaining games for the wolves against teams under 500.

Similar scenario for all of the mid west teams. The imbalance is hard to believe.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yes, he is usually 2nd when Fowler is healthy. I mean, they got a win against probably the 2nd worst team in the conference tonight, which is great, but not overly awesome. Anxious to see if Campbell played well in the win. 2-8 in the last 10 games though for Guelph. This is a game we should have won with ease.

True but they were also missing their most valuable player in Drysdale. Pretty important and clutch win.

Reactions: Mata

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
True but they were also missing their most valuable player in Drysdale. Pretty important and clutch win.

I think it is safe to say with the remaining schedule 1 point is going to be considered a "win" from here on out as the playoff spots start to fall into place. We have a LOT of tough games for the remainder of the season if we want to hold onto at least the 8th seed and maybe challenge for 6 or 7.

Dave Hahn

Apr 23, 2002
It's been a few years since I've been to an Otters game live, but I had the chance to drop by Guelph last night.

Max Golod is in all the right conversations, and I'm not so sure it's a slam dunk that he returns to Erie next year.

That said, what's the prevailing thought about all the 00's? Seems like a desperate move to add a one year guy like Sopa with a backlog already vying for a spot next season.

Seems like Erie borrowed against tomorrows problems for todays solution, which really goes against previous direction.

And speaking of direction, Hartsburg made some interesting choices in the rotation last night, and (again, on limited viewings) it feels like there is no continuity amongst linemates.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
If Erie were in the Central, they would be the 2nd seed going into the east playoffs, even using point totals accumulated while playing in the tougher midwest division.

Sudbury (current 2nd seed), who plays in much easier Central does not have enough points currently to even make the playoffs in the Western conference.

And it gets worse

Erie has 3 of 20 remaining games against Teams under 500
Wolves have 13 of 19 remaining games against teams under 500

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If Erie were in the Central, they would be the 2nd seed going into the east playoffs, even using point totals accumulated while playing in the tougher midwest division.

Sudbury (current 2nd seed), who plays in much easier Central does not have enough points currently to even make the playoffs in the Western conference.

And it gets worse

Erie has 3 of 20 remaining games against Teams under 500
Wolves have 13 of 19 remaining games against teams under 500
This is painful for me as in Erie fan. Erie probably could have been a middle pack team this year but the West is just always very competitive. I certainly think Erie is better than about 6/7 teams in the East

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It's been a few years since I've been to an Otters game live, but I had the chance to drop by Guelph last night.

Max Golod is in all the right conversations, and I'm not so sure it's a slam dunk that he returns to Erie next year.

That said, what's the prevailing thought about all the 00's? Seems like a desperate move to add a one year guy like Sopa with a backlog already vying for a spot next season.

Seems like Erie borrowed against tomorrows problems for todays solution, which really goes against previous direction.

And speaking of direction, Hartsburg made some interesting choices in the rotation last night, and (again, on limited viewings) it feels like there is no continuity amongst linemates.

I won’t get into the Sopa trade or Hartsburg as coach. I have expressed my displeasure with both and I’m tired of the frustration it has created

in regards to Golod... I will go on record saying that if he wore a London Knights jersey or some few other teams, he would have been NHL drafted. The biased decisions of some NHL scouts/GM with certain OHL programs is a bit ridiculous. Golod has impressed this year and I for one think he will be back here next year. I don’t think he’s going to be in a position where he is “too good” for the OHL next year. But he certainly should warrant some pro looks

Currently Erie will have Yetman/Golod and Duff as OAs next year. That will be as good as any in the league. If Golod was not available, it’s probably going to be Henry or MacDougall being that 3rd OA. Both will be solid OAs for any team. Interested to see what they do with Murphy.. Erie should turn things over to Campbell

Reactions: Mata and OttersFan

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If Erie won just half their OT/SO losses, they would be at 26 wins and in 6th seed

Complete joke of a team the last 3 years

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
A positive: Fowler didn’t take a penalty

It was a good game. If only we played this physical all the time. We should have won though as Golod could have sealed the deal late in the 3rd on his breakaway. They really should have had it.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

It was a good game. If only we played this physical all the time. We should have won though as Golod could have sealed the deal late in the 3rd on his breakaway. They really should have had it.
I’m done talking about how close they were. Almost this or almost that. Reality is that bad teams vs average teams and average teams vs good teams are separated from their ability to find ways to get the job done. This team now has been together for 2/3 years. They went out and traded for Sopa (becoming a more embarrassing move by the second for Mr. GM). They have made minimal (if any) progress though in their ability to find ways to win close games and beat teams that are for lack of better descriptions - the same as them. Flint is by no means elite or even great. I’m not saying Erie is either. But these are games you have to win at some point. Instead.. it’s been the same nausea, crap bag team for 3 years. I’m checking out

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I’m done talking about how close they were. Almost this or almost that. Reality is that bad teams vs average teams and average teams vs good teams are separated from their ability to find ways to get the job done. This team now has been together for 2/3 years. They went out and traded for Sopa (becoming a more embarrassing move by the second for Mr. GM). They have made minimal (if any) progress though in their ability to find ways to win close games and beat teams that are for lack of better descriptions - the same as them. Flint is by no means elite or even great. I’m not saying Erie is either. But these are games you have to win at some point. Instead.. it’s been the same nausea, crap bag team for 3 years. I’m checking out
I completely agree. There's no reason that we shouldn't have won the game. My point was more so that if we learned to finish and take shots, we would be more successful.

Bottom line is there's a little over a month left to the season and we have to find a way to finish or it'll be another long summer.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

He played so timid tonight though. I mean, Flint was out to get him it seemed, but I got the impression he was hiding on the ice most of the night.

Good team effort overall, a point is a point. Hopefully we shore some things up against owen sound.

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
He played so timid tonight though. I mean, Flint was out to get him it seemed, but I got the impression he was hiding on the ice most of the night.

Good team effort overall, a point is a point. Hopefully we shore some things up against owen sound.
Yeah I'd have to agree, but the target was on his back. It was good to see our team stick up for him, especially Sopa and his physical side. Fowler had a good chance or two atleast.

Owen Sound was in the building last night to no surprise. They saw a game tonight and my hope is we play just as well tonight against them. It wasn't a perfect game, but it was nice to see some physicality for one instead of feeling like we are watching a practice.

Hoffman is inching towards his next point. He's one of my most improved players. He just has a great hockey IQ and has become faster throughout the year. Through his face off numbers aren't looking great as of late.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I completely agree. There's no reason that we shouldn't have won the game. My point was more so that if we learned to finish and take shots, we would be more successful.

Bottom line is there's a little over a month left to the season and we have to find a way to finish or it'll be another long summer.
Your positivity reeks of ignorance

This is who the team is. They showed it the last 2 years. And they showed it the first 49 games of this year. They aren’t going to all the sudden change their style or their demeanor in the last 19 games.

Its going to be an 8th seed finish. An a** kicking in round one, and another long summer. Pathetic year. Next up is players requesting trades out of here, imports being less and less likely to sign (which they need), prospects like Saganiuk laughing at the idea of coming here, and future players in the 2020 draft being less comfortable about this team. Welcome to the mid 2000s again. Things aren’t going to turn around.. they are actually going to get worse

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Your positivity reeks of ignorance

This is who the team is. They showed it the last 2 years. And they showed it the first 49 games of this year. They aren’t going to all the sudden change their style or their demeanor in the last 19 games.

Its going to be an 8th seed finish. An a** kicking in round one, and another long summer. Pathetic year. Next up is players requesting trades out of here, imports being less and less likely to sign (which they need), prospects like Saganiuk laughing at the idea of coming here, and future players in the 2020 draft being less comfortable about this team. Welcome to the mid 2000s again. Things aren’t going to turn around.. they are actually going to get worse

It all hinges on what the owner decides to do with management in the off season. Still way to early to tell it we regress that far, but I would agree we need some BIG changes, which likely focuses around a rebuild, like it or not.

A new coach implements a new strategy and with the current roster some may not fit in at all. However, that doesn't mean next year is lost when this one isn't over.

I would say though, we probably will go down that road IF we retain Hartsburg. Then we risk losing the core of the team, Drysdale, Golod, Yeti, possibly Fowler/Duff...and if Campbell is as good as they say he is, I would put money on him bolting too.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I guess if I were looking to rebuild, I would add size. Watching the game last night against Flint, their twin towers (both like 6'6) and some others impose their physical will upon us. I'm not saying we need to be that massive, but when I watch the games it seems we are on the smaller side.

Yes, the cat was smaller, but McDavid has a frame on him. The closest build to McDavid is Hoffman IMO. We have a lot of short to average build forwards who can fly, but they were getting tossed around like puppets at points last night.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I guess if I were looking to rebuild, I would add size. Watching the game last night against Flint, their twin towers (both like 6'6) and some others impose their physical will upon us. I'm not saying we need to be that massive, but when I watch the games it seems we are on the smaller side.

Yes, the cat was smaller, but McDavid has a frame on him. The closest build to McDavid is Hoffman IMO. We have a lot of short to average build forwards who can fly, but they were getting tossed around like puppets at points last night.
I don’t think size is really an issue. Debrincat was tougher than Strome. Plus he had a stronger frame on him. McDavid never got mixed into anything so regardless of his size, he did nothing physical. Just a matter of players having a strong frame and being willing/able to throw a body if needed. You need a few guys who are there to add beef when needed (see Foegele or Darren Raddysh). But Pettit and Betz are two guys that come to mind that even if with their big frame, never used it.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Jack Duff on the scoresheet tonight... kicked the puck right into his own net.

Thanks, captain!

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Jack Duff on the scoresheet tonight... kicked the puck right into his own net.

Thanks, captain!

Seems fitting for the season...

Control 35 out of 40 minutes, down 3-1 going into the 3rd frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad