Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Goaltending- yes. Probably needs addressed if both guys don’t show improvement by end of season

Coaching - I believe it’s a concern. Hartsburg now calling out the players in every post game loss and that’s not how you act.. especially with a rebuilding and very young team that honestly has been porked by poor goalie play most of the year. He either has already lost the locker room or will if that continues. And that can’t hapoen with a young group. We have enough talent (other than in net) to be more competitive. Yet the team has taken slumps recently and are inconsistent- I blame that on coaching

I have been saying this about Hartsburg for a little while. I don’t think he is the right fit as an OHL coach. He seems to put players down but then fails to bring their confidence back up. That is a huge coaching mistake with the OHL age group.
He also seems to get out coached by others in the league quite often. I know Erie isn’t the most talented team this season but he fails to make the right adjustments after the 1st and 2nd period often.

Reactions: ottersguy

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am hoping that Jim Waters sees this and does something about this soon. Otherwise, the word gets out. Man, do I wish Coach K were back here. I am afraid he will become the Flyers head coach sooner than later. He had this nailed down as far as how to handle the players. They would skate through a wall for him. He was such a personable guy and a good teacher. As McDavid said at the player's banquet some 4 years ago, Knoblauch was the best coach he ever had.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Just curious, is H. Fowler injured? I have not seen him in the lineup for some time.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I have been saying this about Hartsburg for a little while. I don’t think he is the right fit as an OHL coach. He seems to put players down but then fails to bring their confidence back up. That is a huge coaching mistake with the OHL age group.
He also seems to get out coached by others in the league quite often. I know Erie isn’t the most talented team this season but he fails to make the right adjustments after the 1st and 2nd period often.
Starting to jump on your side of this. I know you felt about it for awhile now. I was trying to be patient and give him more time but it’s evident now.

We have enough talent to be better. At least more competitive and consistent. I’m also annoyed with the constant line shuffling. I’ll but we have had over 100 different line combations this year
Mak - Cajka - Podd
Mak - Fowler - Singer
Mak - Cajka - Singer
Mak - Cajka - Yetman

I could go on and on.. and that’s just the first line. At some point can we stick with the dang lines?? Every night some line is different than the previous game. It’s a joke. Giving players no chance to develop chemistry. And it reeks of bad energy coaching. So if the guys don’t play a good game we immediately just switch the lines?? If one player is performing poorly because of attitude/effort - bench him. If a line is all performing poorly - rotate them to the 4th line. But don’t just continue to shake up lines. It’s starting to frustrate me. We don’t have tremendous depth or experience so we have to win on chemistry and effort. But we need to squeeze out the talent we do have..

Which means with Fowler out, Mak/Yetman/Cajka/Singer/Podd should all be in the top 6. And keep it that way. It’s that simple. Otherwise, how the heck can we expect consistent offense or scoring?

Too much line shuffling because Hartsburg expects a perfect game every night. That’s not going to happen. Struggles occur for every team. Especially young/rebuilding teams. Have better practices and address issues more and maybe the on ice performance will improve. Imo the recent slump is because Hartsburg is losing the locker room. Not good

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I have heard from billets that all that Hartsburg does at practice is yell at the kids. That is why at least 2 of our older players left. No teaching going on-just screaming and growling. Having been in education for 36 years, I can tell you that yelling and demeaning kids DOES NOT WORK! You teach them skills, encourage them when they do well, correct them in private when they need some guidance. What really pisses me off is that we have a bunch or really good kids. While in OS several weeks ago, the OS fan club president who is a friend of mine, told me what nice kids Erie has. They signed a Thank You card for him because he lets them take jelly beans out of the bowl at the stand. They bought him a big bag of candy to replace what they had eaten. Most of these kids will never play in the NHL. I want their experience in Erie to be a good one. I don't want them remembering a growling grouch.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Well, a look back at November:

13 GP, 4-9-0-0

2 wins in regulation against Kitchener, 1 SO win in NB, 1 SO win in SSM.

Where do we go from here? What needs to be done before the Christmas break and where do we go from here?

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Well, a look back at November:

13 GP, 4-9-0-0

2 wins in regulation against Kitchener, 1 SO win in NB, 1 SO win in SSM.

Where do we go from here? What needs to be done before the Christmas break and where do we go from here?
Trade Mak and Singer and return everyone next season...or keep Singer for next season as an OA along with GPod and Martin...one of those 3 would need to be upgraded though....

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Trade Mak and Singer and return everyone next season...or keep Singer for next season as an OA along with GPod and Martin...one of those 3 would need to be upgraded though...
I agree Mak definitely needs to be moved. GPod is having a great season if a team is willing to take an import given they aren't locked in with the two they already have. Regarding the coaching situation, I just don't see Erie building chemistry. They're a good team on paper and they have the talent, but lack leadership from the top.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Trade Mak and Singer and return everyone next season...or keep Singer for next season as an OA along with GPod and Martin...one of those 3 would need to be upgraded though....

Podd is 90-100% gone next year. With Erie having a likely top 15 import pick and with Podd having KHL opportunity, little to no chance he returns

Singer won’t be traded because he has small value. Sure if a team gives 2-4 good picks.. but I doubt that

Mak or Podd the only two who should be considered for trading. The other trades would just be to clean house

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I agree Mak definitely needs to be moved. GPod is having a great season if a team is willing to take an import given they aren't locked in with the two they already have. Regarding the coaching situation, I just don't see Erie building chemistry. They're a good team on paper and they have the talent, but lack leadership from the top.

I am starting to blame Hartsburg. I don’t see anything positive from him, and if the players are starting to dislike him..: he has to go! We can’t now have players not developing because of a lack of coaching and because their confidence is shot and they dislike their coach. Those players will quickly ask for trades to leave the team

So if that’s true, Brown better react. Or he’s a terrible GM if he can’t gauge that.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think a point was being made last night not pulling Murph
Hartsburg would never pull the goalies much last year when the team was playing poorly or the goalie was. It was like a message from him.

I just get the feeling that when the team is playing bad or having rough moments, Hartsburg goes into pissy mode and is basically like “let’s get embarrassed so you feel like crap. So I’ll keep Murphy in even though he’s struggling. And I’ll put together the most inefficient or ineffective lines possible so our offense stinks”

It’s a terrible approach. Especially when the team is full of young kids who are giving effort. His “adjustments” are basically out of spite. Which is why our lines and play are such a mess and is inconsistent. If you want things to change as a coach- fix the issues in practice. Work on them, together as a team. It’s not like the boys want to lose games and have just quit. The only thing they have quit on is their coach.

Reactions: nofriendsinhockey

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie seriously needs to consider firing Hartsburg and letting BJ Adams take control. Definitely all aboard the tank train now, get a high pick and import pick. Trade Maksimovich for picks, and Poddubnyi as well if someone is interested.

Reactions: ottersguy

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am not convinced that BJ Adams relates well to the players. That is just my observation. I would love to see someone like Mike Rupp or Brad Boyes coach the team. Both have strong ties to the Otters. I had heard that Brad actually wanted to buy the team. Both of these guys have good communication skills, and are likeable. Both of them know enough about hockey to coach at this level. Whether either of them are available or would want the job is another question. I just hope that management sees what is going on and casts a wide net to find a good coach.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I am not convinced that BJ Adams relates well to the players. That is just my observation. I would love to see someone like Mike Rupp or Brad Boyes coach the team. Both have strong ties to the Otters. I had heard that Brad actually wanted to buy the team. Both of these guys have good communication skills, and are likeable. Both of them know enough about hockey to coach at this level. Whether either of them are available or would want the job is another question. I just hope that management sees what is going on and casts a wide net to find a good coach.

I don’t want someone with no coaching experience. Brad Boyes makes no sense. Now if Boyes wants to be a coach, I would love to see him back here... as an assistant. Maybe a head coach one day but not a head coach to start.
Rupp has TV gig and other things in his life. Doubt he wants that commitment right now.

Erie should be looking at assistant coaches or a head coach at another level. Maybe Vince Laise? I always liked his personality in Erie. He’s much more of a players coach.. similar to Knoblauch .Young guy who is maybe ready for head job.
I’m sure there are other options out there. But I prefer someone with head coaching experience or a young assistant coach who is ready for the jump.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
sounds like Flint
Not close to that bad. Not even 2011-12 bad for Erie. Not right now at least.

The issues with flint are beyond just their record and on ice performance. It’s players asking for trades, players not wanting to report there, and trades like the Lucas Rowe moves. Just a few months ago Drysdale picked Erie over Petes and Flint.

Erie’s issues right now might be related to a coach who just isn’t meshing with our needs but it’s fixable. It’s not total panic yet. It will be if Brown doesn’t address issues in the next 6-8 months. I will say if this trend continues and Hartsburg is back next year.. then we will be in a world of potential trouble

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie beats Flint 6-5 in OT, they fought hard to tie it up after a terrible start, so credit to them for that. Got an absolute gift in OT though when the ref caused a turnover leading to a nice goal by Drysdale. We'll see how the team does next weekend with two home games.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I don’t want someone with no coaching experience. Brad Boyes makes no sense. Now if Boyes wants to be a coach, I would love to see him back here... as an assistant. Maybe a head coach one day but not a head coach to start.
Rupp has TV gig and other things in his life. Doubt he wants that commitment right now.

Erie should be looking at assistant coaches or a head coach at another level. Maybe Vince Laise? I always liked his personality in Erie. He’s much more of a players coach.. similar to Knoblauch .Young guy who is maybe ready for head job.
I’m sure there are other options out there. But I prefer someone with head coaching experience or a young assistant coach who is ready for the jump.
Isn't Rupp supposed to be coaching the Jr. Otters?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Isn't Rupp supposed to be coaching the Jr. Otters?
I believe he is yes. He’s also doing tv for nhl network/root sports.

All I know is - he has no advanced coaching experience

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
I have heard from billets that all that Hartsburg does at practice is yell at the kids. That is why at least 2 of our older players left. No teaching going on-just screaming and growling. Having been in education for 36 years, I can tell you that yelling and demeaning kids DOES NOT WORK! You teach them skills, encourage them when they do well, correct them in private when they need some guidance. What really pisses me off is that we have a bunch or really good kids. While in OS several weeks ago, the OS fan club president who is a friend of mine, told me what nice kids Erie has. They signed a Thank You card for him because he lets them take jelly beans out of the bowl at the stand. They bought him a big bag of candy to replace what they had eaten. Most of these kids will never play in the NHL. I want their experience in Erie to be a good one. I don't want them remembering a growling grouch.
Apple doesn’t fall from the tree I guess

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Petr Cajka named to the initial Czech World Junior roster, good for him. He has played well lately. It will certainly hurt to lose him for a few weeks, especially with Fowler out. Will Erie sign one of their younger picks or recall Cohen so they have 12 forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad