Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Both Gritz and Martin are expected back this weekend for OS, according to Hartsburg

That is great news. Martin certainly the leader and most stable guy for us on the backend. And Gritz was off to a good start to the year before the injury.

Unsure about the injury and timetable for Kischnick to return

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks, Ottersguy. We are heading up to OS for our annual road trip. I would highly recommend it to any Otter's fan. Having 2 games in 2 days makes it worth the trip. OS has a very small arena with great fans. We have made many friends up there. The arena is right next to the Best Western on the Bay motel where the team stays. It is about a 7 hour drive from Erie or Smethport, where we live.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Thanks, Ottersguy. We are heading up to OS for our annual road trip. I would highly recommend it to any Otter's fan. Having 2 games in 2 days makes it worth the trip. OS has a very small arena with great fans. We have made many friends up there. The arena is right next to the Best Western on the Bay motel where the team stays. It is about a 7 hour drive from Erie or Smethport, where we live.

We sit in section U behind Attack bench. Come by and say hi at intermission, I'll have on a black Dudas 27 jersey and be standing in the concourse near the section u stairs

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Owen Sound has a wonderful Remembrance Day Service Sunday at the Cenotaph, in front of the library on 1st Ave west. About 5 or 6 blocks south of Best Western down 2nd Ave east, you can park nearby and walk over thebridge.
If you are interested, plan to arrive around 1030 am, it gets packed, and dress for the outdoors.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Nice to meet you, BW.

Sorry you guys dint get the split. Hope you enjoyed your stay in OS, and a safe trip home.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Great too meet another passionate fan of this great league our midwest division rivalry is a great series each season safe travels to all the Otters fans who made the trip this past weekend and look forward to seeing the Attack/Otters tangle again down at the EIA in the new year

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks, guys. We just got home. I have to say that OS is the best hockey town in the OHL. I haven't seen any team yet that played as well as you did against the Otters. I have to say that with some luck you have a good shot to win it all this year. The Otters played as hard as they could, but it was simply boys against men.

Reactions: AttackSound

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks, guys. Good to meet you both. I have to say that you have the best fans in the OHL. I have not seen any team play as well against Erie all year. Your team is very good. You have a good shot at it from what I can see. We played hard, but it we were simply outmatched. We just got home from the 7 hour drive. It was a very good trip. Hope you can make it down to Erie in January!

Moroz

Aug 18, 2018
Erik Cernak makes his NHL debut for the Lightning in Buffalo tonight. Along with Anthony Cirelli, that will make two former Otters on the ice. But it looks like Remi Elie is a healthy scratch for the Sabres.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Nice win over Kitchener today, Cajka and Yetman are playing well. Good to have Martin and Drysdale. Unfortuanetly this team can't seem to catch a break with injuries, Fowler got hurt today and will be out "a while" according to Hartsburg.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Fowler to miss 2 to 3 months. How much is that going to hurt?
It will suck to have him gone. For sure. Hopefully other guys step up with the extra ice time
Thought Erie battled today. Just tough to get a win against a top team regardless of how we play.

As for all the London fans hating on the sweet Caroline or rival aspect.. reality is that from 2002-03 season to 2017-18 season.. Erie missed the playoffs 7 out of 16 seasons.
The 9 years they made the playoffs? Erie faced London 5 times
2004, London won 4-0
2009, London won 4-1
2015, Erie won 4-0
2016, London won 4-0
2017, Erie won 4-3

So 5 out of 9 years for the playoffs for Erie they have played London. 3 years straight in the midst of their run. Additionally, they only played 20 rounds of playoffs in those 16 years.. 5 against London.

Yes sorry to burst your bubble of greatness and existing rivals but to Erie fans.. of course we hate the team. Most fans do for other reasons (won’t get into that) and for your on ice success. You have existing rivals because you are, as a Canadian team, just a few short miles from some teams. And you have been in the OHL much, much longer than the Otters. Erie is still “newer” to this league when looking at perspective. We aren’t going to consider Eastern teams rivals since we don’t play them as much or don’t see them in the playoffs.

I think most Erie fans once considered Plymouth a rival. Some great games over the years with them. I remember the fans hating the Whalers team. But now they are Flint.. and Flint has not been a well respected organization/opponent. The other American team, Saginaw, has also had slumps. That really just leaves our “division” opponents.. and hate to rain on your parade but Erie has their most history with London. From the recent 3 year playoff run, the bench brawl game of 2009, and many more close reg season battles

Sweet Caroline has been a staple at home games for 5+ years. Every single game it’s played. Hell it might be going on 10+ years of using it at EVERY home game. During the 2015-16 season, the chant with extra lyrics were added. It stuck for the heated series of 2016-17. It’s never going away. Erie fans won’t forgot those lyrics and that song will be played at every single home game. It’s not just pulled out for games vs you like its a special occassion. Basically - get used to it. Don’t be suprised by it every time. It’s not going away.
Again, understand our history before attempting to feel like we have no business seeing London as a rival. News flash: most fans don’t like that organization. Erie in the last few years has more history and heated battles with London than majority of the league

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, agreed. The boys played very well against 2 top tier teams this weekend. And, I can assure you, after spending the past weekend in OS in talking to their fans, London is hated by them for their arrogance (both fans and players). Also, although London was ok today, considering how many older skilled players they have, Erie played very well. In my opinion, Owen Sound was the best team I have seen the Otters play so far.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, agreed. The boys played very well against 2 top tier teams this weekend. And, I can assure you, after spending the past weekend in OS in talking to their fans, London is hated by them for their arrogance (both fans and players). Also, although London was ok today, considering how many older skilled players they have, Erie played very well. In my opinion, Owen Sound was the best team I have seen the Otters play so far.
Skill + work ethic wise I would say the SOO impressed me the most in the league...OS is up there as well.. I havent seen Ottawa Live though...it appears they are impressive, but they are playing the weaker east teams

Reactions: ottersguy

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Skill + work ethic wise I would say the SOO impressed me the most in the league...OS is up there as well.. I havent seen Ottawa Live though...it appears they are impressive, but they are playing the weaker east teams
You do know the east has the season advantge over the west .

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
You do know the east has the season advantge over the west .
Definitely seems to be a down year for the West compared to recent past.

From what I’ve seen:

London is only getting stronger. And OS is up there. SSM I think is starting to level out a bit and they should probably considering selling off before they think about buying.

Other than that I don’t see top west teams. Flint is clearly at the bottom. Erie, Windsor, Kitchener, Sarnia all battling in the 6-9 range with 0 of those teams having the assets or current roster to compete for a title. That leaves Guelph and Saginaw. 2 solid teams but just don’t seem to have it clicking on all cylinders and would probably need to make moves to compete deep into the playoffs

So the East is probably better this year. Ottawa, Oshawa, Niagara appear pretty good. Sudbury, Missy, Barrie no slouches. But overall London is in prime position to be the best of the best yet again

Reactions: three dog night

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Tough few losses here for Erie. It’s also going to be difficult without Fowler for the next 8-12 weeks. Very unfortunate for his development too

Erie probably should consider adding a forward. Currently only 12 healthy on the roster. Could use a cheap veteran to plug in the lineup.

About 1/3 of the season complete..

thoughts on some players thus far -

Drysdale is special. I mean wow.. he has so much skill but the maturity and ability to handle 25+ minutes a night in all situations is great to see

Cajka is coming around. 5g 2a in his last 6 games after only having 2g 5a in his first 16 games. He should definitely be drafted in June if he continues to adjust to the league

Yetman has been a tremendous surprise. Having a great year for Erie. As big of a surprise as he has been, nobody has been more disappointing than Golod. Crappy to see because he has the talent but not clicking for him at all right now.

Murphy is still way too inconsistent. When he’s on his game, he is a starter in this league and pretty good. But he has these 5-10 min lapses and it’s deflating. Goaltending will either have to be addressed in the offseason by trade, by signing someone like Campbell, or by the import draft.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Tough few losses here for Erie. It’s also going to be difficult without Fowler for the next 8-12 weeks. Very unfortunate for his development too

Erie probably should consider adding a forward. Currently only 12 healthy on the roster. Could use a cheap veteran to plug in the lineup.

About 1/3 of the season complete..

thoughts on some players thus far -

Drysdale is special. I mean wow.. he has so much skill but the maturity and ability to handle 25+ minutes a night in all situations is great to see

Cajka is coming around. 5g 2a in his last 6 games after only having 2g 5a in his first 16 games. He should definitely be drafted in June if he continues to adjust to the league

Yetman has been a tremendous surprise. Having a great year for Erie. As big of a surprise as he has been, nobody has been more disappointing than Golod. Crappy to see because he has the talent but not clicking for him at all right now.

Murphy is still way too inconsistent. When he’s on his game, he is a starter in this league and pretty good. But he has these 5-10 min lapses and it’s deflating. Goaltending will either have to be addressed in the offseason by trade, by signing someone like Campbell, or by the import draft.
Yes, Drysdale is quite the talent...first time that I saw him play and was really impressed. So composed for a 16 year old, doesn't play like a rookie.

Reactions: ottersguy

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

this isn't the last couples years, the East is better than the West now

Reactions: Lycanthrope

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
First game I saw in person this season (and probably the last) was a bit disappointing. The team looked pretty uninspired and disorganized. Only a few waves of offensive pressure that got them some good chances. Murphy doesn't look good and it's very puzzling they aren't giving Battaglia more of a chance. I get he hasn't been good but you have to give him an opportunity to improve, it's not like Murphy is lighting the world on fire. They definitely need to aggressively pursue Alexander this offseason and address goaltending if they hope to compete in the near future.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Much better effort tonight and Battaglia looked solid in net to get his first win. A little shakey with rebound control at times and maybe got some puck luck, but a big step up over his first 6 games. The team as a whole put forth a much better effort tonight ad well, especially on the PK.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Much better effort tonight and Battaglia looked solid in net to get his first win. A little shakey with rebound control at times and maybe got some puck luck, but a big step up over his first 6 games. The team as a whole put forth a much better effort tonight ad well, especially on the PK.
The team is okay when they compete. Mak, Singer, Podd, Cajka all have top 6 level skills. Yes there is no Nick Suzuki stud but they still have a decent forward group. Yetman continues his great season. Fowler being out sucks

Honestly if the team had just decent goalie play mixed with this type of effort, we could compete every night with 14-15 teams in the league and play .500 hockey. The problem is goalie play and inconsistencies.

Currently there are 12 teams with a better than .500 record. 8 teams at .500 or worse.

Erie plays 6 of their next 12 games before the new year against .500 or worse teams. It’s a key stretch before the deadline to maybe get 6-7 wins before potential trades happen. I hope to see the team move Mak by the deadline but I also would like us to get to 16-18 wins before that happens.

Reactions: Animal House

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Am I the only one who finds it insulting to the team when a few fans throw bears on the ice when the Pete’s score and then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon?
I get it they weren’t scoring but I don’t see the need for that.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Now that was an ugly teddy bear toss game, shades of 2012. Hate when the fans pull that garbage, has to be very frustrating for the players. It's not like they weren't trying out there.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
It will suck to have him gone. For sure. Hopefully other guys step up with the extra ice time
Thought Erie battled today. Just tough to get a win against a top team regardless of how we play.

As for all the London fans hating on the sweet Caroline or rival aspect.. reality is that from 2002-03 season to 2017-18 season.. Erie missed the playoffs 7 out of 16 seasons.
The 9 years they made the playoffs? Erie faced London 5 times
2004, London won 4-0
2009, London won 4-1
2015, Erie won 4-0
2016, London won 4-0
2017, Erie won 4-3

So 5 out of 9 years for the playoffs for Erie they have played London. 3 years straight in the midst of their run. Additionally, they only played 20 rounds of playoffs in those 16 years.. 5 against London.

Yes sorry to burst your bubble of greatness and existing rivals but to Erie fans.. of course we hate the team. Most fans do for other reasons (won’t get into that) and for your on ice success. You have existing rivals because you are, as a Canadian team, just a few short miles from some teams. And you have been in the OHL much, much longer than the Otters. Erie is still “newer” to this league when looking at perspective. We aren’t going to consider Eastern teams rivals since we don’t play them as much or don’t see them in the playoffs.

I think most Erie fans once considered Plymouth a rival. Some great games over the years with them. I remember the fans hating the Whalers team. But now they are Flint.. and Flint has not been a well respected organization/opponent. The other American team, Saginaw, has also had slumps. That really just leaves our “division” opponents.. and hate to rain on your parade but Erie has their most history with London. From the recent 3 year playoff run, the bench brawl game of 2009, and many more close reg season battles

Sweet Caroline has been a staple at home games for 5+ years. Every single game it’s played. Hell it might be going on 10+ years of using it at EVERY home game. During the 2015-16 season, the chant with extra lyrics were added. It stuck for the heated series of 2016-17. It’s never going away. Erie fans won’t forgot those lyrics and that song will be played at every single home game. It’s not just pulled out for games vs you like its a special occassion. Basically - get used to it. Don’t be suprised by it every time. It’s not going away.
Again, understand our history before attempting to feel like we have no business seeing London as a rival. News flash: most fans don’t like that organization. Erie in the last few years has more history and heated battles with London than majority of the league
I've often wondered if they said London Sucks during sweet Caroline every game or just when playing London lol. I personally find it flattering. The Knights are living rent free in the heads of an entire fan base all season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad