Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I agree with you on the rookies. Golod has been snake bit. He continues to be an intriguing player. Certainly, he has some wheels and a lot of skill. I hope he gains some weight and muscle for next season. Sproule seems to have confidence issues. He has played some good minutes, and then he disappears. Gritz seems to be lacking confidence too. It is a shame that Fowler got hurt. He seemed to push these guys and set a benchmark for them. They should sell, and soon. Getting Bertuzzi and some picks would be terrific. I am still baffled by our goaltending situation. Sometimes Murphy looks pretty good, and other times he couldn't stop a beach ball. We will definitely have to address this as we move forward.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Only rookie with a + last night was Drysdale. He had the most ice.
He’s been routinely getting 23-24+ minutes a game. It’s insane to think about for a 16 year old old defender. The guy is already that good. If the team around him was 2016-17 good, his stats would certainly reflect it even more

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
I’m sure he was talking only about Erie’s game.. at least that’s what I read

Yup, just Erie. Erie will build around him. Too bad Alexander isn’t with him. There is no question that Erie needs to land a stud goalie. I’d love to see Kooy from London here, but it ain’t gonna happen.
All that being said, number 1 priority for Erie is to fire their coach. This team needs a new identity.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
They seem to have great team chemistry. They all get along really, really well. I spoke to Wes Wolfe up in OS in November, and he told me that this group is special.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
no quit in this Erie team...good trait of a young team
They definitely have no quit. It’s the one positive to take away. The young guys really do work hard

The issues imo are related to 2 things: coach and goalie play

Reactions: nelli27 and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
They definitely have no quit. It’s the one positive to take away. The young guys really do work hard

The issues imo are related to 2 things: coach and goalie play
Would be nice to get into rd 1 for you guys...get some playoff experience

Reactions: 7D442

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I am sure that Jim Waters would love to see London in the 1st round. It would be some extra cha-ching for the team. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I have been wrong before. Definitely coaching and goaltending need to be addressed in the off season.

Reactions: LDN

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I am sure that Jim Waters would love to see London in the 1st round. It would be some extra cha-ching for the team. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I have been wrong before. Definitely coaching and goaltending need to be addressed in the off season.

No chance we make the playoffs now. I thought we could have but I also expected the goalie play to be much better
You simply can’t win when your goalies have a .875 and .830 save percentage.. sorry you can’t win with that.
That’s our main issue when it comes to on ice talent.

Sure we could maybe still compete but without Fowler until Feb/March (such a huge loss) and with poor goalie play, the playoffs are all but out of reach. Then you consider that Brown absolutely MUST trade Mak, and no chance we can. We can’t even with Mak at this point (again poor goalie play and losing Fowler) but without him we will be much worse off. All the more reason to sell him to another team

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
No chance we make the playoffs now. I thought we could have but I also expected the goalie play to be much better
You simply can’t win when your goalies have a .875 and .830 save percentage.. sorry you can’t win with that.
That’s our main issue when it comes to on ice talent.

Sure we could maybe still compete but without Fowler until Feb/March (such a huge loss) and with poor goalie play, the playoffs are all but out of reach. Then you consider that Brown absolutely MUST trade Mak, and no chance we can. We can’t even with Mak at this point (again poor goalie play and losing Fowler) but without him we will be much worse off. All the more reason to sell him to another team

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think Murphy has been bad this season. He does give up some weak goals but I think more often goals are a result of the team defense.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think Murphy has been bad this season. He does give up some weak goals but I think more often goals are a result of the team defense.
He’s completely inconsistent.

1996-97, Ryan Peeney managed a .888 save percentage
2006-07, Kevin Beech managed a .883 save percentage
2007-08, Jaroslav Janus managed a .892 save percentage
2011-12, Ramis Sadikov managed a .894 save percentage .. Williams managed a .908 save percentage in 8 games as a 16 year old on a 10 win crap team
2012-13, Devin Williams managed an .886 save percentage

These are the worst 5 teams in Erie history and all managed to have goalies with .883 or better save percentage.

Murphy has an .875 right now..
I’m not going to give him an age excuse either when he is 18 (soon to be 19) and played last year at this level. Yet has worse numbers this year

I understand the defense isn’t great but the overall team isn’t 2011 bad. They aren’t even mid 2000s bad imo. The issues with the defense also relate to bad coaching, but that’s for another story

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like half of the goals against on Murphy are soft goals or ones he has to at least stop majority of the time. He’s super inconsistent too. 1 great first period of play, then next thing you know 4 GA on 10 shots.. that type of inconsistent play.
I still think he can be a solid backup but at this point, we are insane if we think he’s the guy for next year. If we think that, then we should also start preparing for another year with no playoffs and dwindled fan support

Again, this city and fanbase cant support 3 consecutive years of bad play. Had it last year but we expected it as fans. 3700 a game last year for attendance

Now fans are becoming frustrated. Hartsburg is pulling the same crap game in and out now for 15 months. Down to 2800 a game now. Next year if this continues, 2500-3000 a game will happen again and the organization can’t support that

I’m a prime example of it. Obviously went to all the games I could during the 4 year run. Last year, I went to about 18-20 games. Less than before but I still went to see the youth and rebuild. This year? I’ve been to about 6 so far. I’m frustrated with where the team is going

So all I have to say is, wake up Dave Brown. This year is already a lost cause. But if we sell off Mak (maybe even Podd) we can get some needed assets. If we add a top import next year, a top 4 OHL pick, add a cheap veteran goalie to give us better net play, get a new coach, and maybe finally get a kid like Alexander to pick us over college.. then maybe we can turn this thing around. Otherwise, I fear we are going down like a sinking ship

Last edited:

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
He’s completely inconsistent.

1996-97, Ryan Peeney managed a .888 save percentage
2006-07, Kevin Beech managed a .883 save percentage
2007-08, Jaroslav Janus managed a .892 save percentage
2011-12, Ramis Sadikov managed a .894 save percentage .. Williams managed a .908 save percentage in 8 games as a 16 year old on a 10 win crap team
2012-13, Devin Williams managed an .886 save percentage

These are the worst 5 teams in Erie history and all managed to have goalies with .883 or better save percentage.

Murphy has an .875 right now..
I’m not going to give him an age excuse either when he is 18 (soon to be 19) and played last year at this level. Yet has worse numbers this year

I understand the defense isn’t great but the overall team isn’t 2011 bad. They aren’t even mid 2000s bad imo. The issues with the defense also relate to bad coaching, but that’s for another story

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like half of the goals against on Murphy are soft goals or ones he has to at least stop majority of the time. He’s super inconsistent too. 1 great first period of play, then next thing you know 4 GA on 10 shots.. that type of inconsistent play.
I still think he can be a solid backup but at this point, we are insane if we think he’s the guy for next year. If we think that, then we should also start preparing for another year with no playoffs and dwindled fan support

Again, this city and fanbase cant support 3 consecutive years of bad play. Had it last year but we expected it as fans. 3700 a game last year for attendance

Now fans are becoming frustrated. Hartsburg is pulling the same crap game in and out now for 15 months. Down to 2800 a game now. Next year if this continues, 2500-3000 a game will happen again and the organization can’t support that

I’m a prime example of it. Obviously went to all the games I could during the 4 year run. Last year, I went to about 18-20 games. Less than before but I still went to see the youth and rebuild. This year? I’ve been to about 6 so far. I’m frustrated with where the team is going

So all I have to say is, wake up Dave Brown. This year is already a lost cause. But if we sell off Mak (maybe even Podd) we can get some needed assets. If we add a top import next year, a top 4 OHL pick, add a cheap veteran goalie to give us better net play, get a new coach, and maybe finally get a kid like Alexander to pick us over college.. then maybe we can turn this thing around. Otherwise, I fear we are going down like a sinking ship

Good stats but I those above mentioned goalies are better than Murphy. I think Janus was probably the best goalie Erie has had but was on crap teams. I just don’t think Murphy has been as bad as some say.

If you have only been to 6 games how can you comment on his play though? Are you watching the games on livestream?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Good stats but I those above mentioned goalies are better than Murphy. I think Janus was probably the best goalie Erie has had but was on crap teams. I just don’t think Murphy has been as bad as some say.

If you have only been to 6 games how can you comment on his play though? Are you watching the games on livestream?

Yes but that’s my point.. they were better than Murphy. Sadikov/Janus were actually good so I’ll give you that

But Beech was not good. Williams was 16 then 17 years old. Though Williams developed into a solid starter, he was never great or elite either. Yet as a young undersized guy on terrible teams he put up great numbers.
Murphy should be around the .883-.887 range. His numbers are related to, yes a rebuilding team in front of him, but also his own abilities and performance. He needs to be better

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

I have watched another 8-10 on live stream. Mostly road games but also 2-3 home games. It’s just cheaper that way, especially for a rebuilding team. Hard to justify $20 a night on this current team

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I have watched another 8-10 on live stream. Mostly road games but also 2-3 home games. It’s just cheaper that way, especially for a rebuilding team. Hard to justify $20 a night on this current team
If you have a college ID or buy tickets for the child price online, it's cheaper (Children tickets are also $10). I use my college ID at the box office and the tickets are $10, which is a lot easier to justify.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If you have a college ID or buy tickets for the child price online, it's cheaper (Children tickets are also $10). I use my college ID at the box office and the tickets are $10, which is a lot easier to justify.

$10 would definitely be easier to justify, good point. It’s certainly much better than watching online

I also watch the highlights of every single game. Not the entire story by any means but I see every single goal that Murphy gives up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad