Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
They have been battling for sure. Don’t quit. Again, better goalie play (currently getting .874 save percentage) and this team has 2-3 more wins is like 9-5 on the year.

Though they have been good, they have struggled on the road dating back to the beginning of last year. Only 7 roads wins. 7. Since the beginning of last year. That has to change. The team is more talented than a year ago and they seem to have more confidence but the road play has to be better
Right I noticed that. Not uncommon in this league, specifically with younger teams. I remember a couple years in the nineties, the Wolves were great at home but couldn’t win to save their lives on the road. Like they were a different team. You’d do us a favour to bounce the Bay though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ottersguy

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Any word on Gritz, Martin or Kischnick?

Martin is out indefinitely with an upper body injury, Kischnick is probably back this weekend. Don't know about Gritz.

Erie has brought Timmermans back with Martin injured and Drysdale off to the U17s for the next 5 games. Defense is going to be pretty shaky to say the least, something like:

Duff-Beamish
Henry-Kischnick
Gillard-Timmermans

On the bright side, the offense has looked better lately, especially if Fowler gets it going.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
The offense looks better. Still want to see Fowler get going and then Gritz return. If the goalie Olaf improves, the team should keep getting some wins

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie wins again! 4-3 in an absurd 13 round shootout. Murphy gave up 2 softies to let North Bay tie it at 2 but they responded well by tying the game right away after NB took the lead. Timmermans didn't look too bad honestly. Purboo kept NB in it during the 2nd period. Erie's got Sudbury tomorrow then a tough game against SSM on Sunday.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Good for them. The thing that I like about this club is their compete level. They just don't quit. As I have said before, the foundation is being laid for a terrific team next year and the year after. They have something that they have never had before. Depth throughout their lineup. Murphy sometimes is confounding, but in the end he has won quite a few games lately. That is what counts.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Too bad they only visit once a season on the northern swing. The Otters are very entertaining team where everyone seems to be doing their assigned job well and sticks to hockey (look ma! - no penalties!). No big hulking players (of the kind old school coaches like Stan Butler likes) but all good skaters making good passes and hustling all the time. Murphy was reliable and it's looking like if this collection stays together, next season could be a humdinger.

Reactions: 7D442

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, they are a very entertaining team to watch. They seem to be taught the basics very well, and the thing that I have seen from Erie (as a season ticket holder for 16 years) is very good drafting and development since Dave Brown arrived. I know that they look at the type of character the kids have as a basic template. Believe me-not all teams do this. Many teams draft the most talented kid available, even if they have a "me first" personality. Not so for Erie. I just wish that more fans in the Erie area would see this. Attendance has been terrible. As a side note, we drive 230 miles r/t for every game from Smethport, PA.

Reactions: Tarantula

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
I see the bus (can't miss the colors) is still at the Hilton in North Bay, the boys will be heading to Sudbury shortly for tonight's game against the Wolves.
1 hour and 15 minute drive. What a great entertaining game last night. All the Best, wished we played you more times then once a year. Good Luck in the West.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I see the bus (can't miss the colors) is still at the Hilton in North Bay, the boys will be heading to Sudbury shortly for tonight's game against the Wolves.
1 hour and 15 minute drive. What a great entertaining game last night. All the Best, wished we played you more times then once a year. Good Luck in the West.
mom and dad..they were at east side marios about 2:30.....be on the road now...wish Drysdale played last nite ...saw him on last sat broadcast...very impressed...first rounder of the future for sure...

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Good for them. The thing that I like about this club is their compete level. They just don't quit. As I have said before, the foundation is being laid for a terrific team next year and the year after. They have something that they have never had before. Depth throughout their lineup. Murphy sometimes is confounding, but in the end he has won quite a few games lately. That is what counts.
They appear well coached to be sure. North Bay was really lucky to get a point.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Tough loss for the Otters on Friday, but I have to say that Kischnick has to be one of the hardest hitters we have had since Mike Liambas. Holy smokes did he smoke Pilon. Players will have to keep their heads up through center ice when he is playing. He is one tough kid.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Hey, Aaron. You may be on tape delay, but for fans out of the Erie area, we can hear all the coughing and pauses. Just a heads up.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Big win by the Otters today. Good for Murphy. Erie has become giant killers, with wins over SSM and Ottawa. It speaks to the compete level of these guys with only 5 defensemen. Four out of 6 points on a brutal road trp. Not too shabby.

Reactions: EON

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hell of an effort by the team today with only 5 dmen, coming off that stinker in Sudbury. The fatigue definitely showed in the 3rd where they were probably fortunate to keep it tied, but they got it done in the SO. Hopefully Kischnick isn't seriously injured, I don't really think they have any other call up options and they will be without Drysdale for 2 more games.

Definitely feeling better about Hartsburg and this team going forward the last few weeks. I think if they can land Alexander and hit on their import pick (assuming they don't keep Poddubnyi as import/OA) they could be a sneaky good team next season with everyone but Maksimovich eligible to return.

Still a little concerned about goaltending though. Murphy is a bit inconsistent, sometimes he looks great, other times he's pretty leaky. And Battaglia has not been the answer at all as their backup.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hell of an effort by the team today with only 5 dmen, coming off that stinker in Sudbury. The fatigue definitely showed in the 3rd where they were probably fortunate to keep it tied, but they got it done in the SO. Hopefully Kischnick isn't seriously injured, I don't really think they have any other call up options and they will be without Drysdale for 2 more games.

Definitely feeling better about Hartsburg and this team going forward the last few weeks. I think if they can land Alexander and hit on their import pick (assuming they don't keep Poddubnyi as import/OA) they could be a sneaky good team next season with everyone but Maksimovich eligible to return.

Still a little concerned about goaltending though. Murphy is a bit inconsistent, sometimes he looks great, other times he's pretty leaky. And Battaglia has not been the answer at all as their backup.
I don’t think Podd will return next year as I believe he wants to head back home to Russia and turn pro there

But it’s possible he returns. If not.. have to maybe use the import spot on a goalie. certainly an option. we could always trade for a cheaper option. Especially an OA. Only Martin will be OA next year if we lose Podd. So we could afford that. But certainly this team is much better lately. Biggest difference now over a year ago? Finding ways to win and not finding ways to lose. They are like 6-1 in extra time this year compared to 6-10 (?) a year ago. Much much better in these close games. That speaks to the depth on the team though which is a lot better as well. Still young, still raw but playing better

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don’t think Podd will return next year as I believe he wants to head back home to Russia and turn pro there

But it’s possible he returns. If not.. have to maybe use the import spot on a goalie. certainly an option. we could always trade for a cheaper option. Especially an OA. Only Martin will be OA next year if we lose Podd. So we could afford that. But certainly this team is much better lately. Biggest difference now over a year ago? Finding ways to win and not finding ways to lose. They are like 6-1 in extra time this year compared to 6-10 (?) a year ago. Much much better in these close games. That speaks to the depth on the team though which is a lot better as well. Still young, still raw but playing better

Personally would rather use the import spot to add another forward like Cajka and hope Alexander signs. Next season:

Golod-Alexander-Fowler
Import-Cajka-Singer
Sproule-Gritz-Yetman
Sellan-D'Amato-Hoffman
Cohen

Pretty deep and talented forward group, with everyone on defense coming back, it's possible they're a top 4 quality team.

I still think Murphy has starting potential, but one guy they should pursue is 2018 12th round pick Aidan Campbell (Aidan Campbell at eliteprospects.com). Big goalie and he's crushing it at the U16 level right now.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Big win in Sault
Not to take anything away from the otters win but they caught a little brake with Villalta getting injured in warm ups he was scheduled to start today linesman cut his leg while he was stretching, oh well shit happens and the otters played a good road game today after a long northern road swing

Reactions: three dog night

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not to take anything away from the otters win but they caught a little brake with Villalta getting injured in warm ups he was scheduled to start today linesman cut his leg while he was stretching, oh well **** happens and the otters played a good road game today after a long northern road swing
Considering their backup goalie gave up only 2 goals on 28 shots.. hard to say that swayed the game. Not like he played poor. Now if Erie scored 4+ goals the argument makes more sense

It’s still a good win. When you consider the backup played good.. it becomes an even better win

Reactions: 7D442

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
In the last 9 games played for each team across the OHL, only 2 teams have a better record than Erie (7-2) - Ottawa (best in the east) and SSM (best in the West).. 2 teams that Erie has beat in their last 9 games

Obviously the pace is not sustainable for a young and rebuilding team like Erie. In other words, I don’t expect them to win 70% of their games the rest of year. However I feel it’s worth pointing out the positives. Many on the outside doubted Erie this year. Noting how it would be such a long year and only in early stages of maybe darker times ahead for the rebuild.
I never agreed with those assessments but it’s great to see Erie backing up my words and other posters words.. that this team would be better than a year ago. Considering Martin has missed half the games, Singer was out for 7 games, Gritz has now missed 7, Kischnick/Fowler have missed time. And recently Drysdale has been gone. Their goalie play has been pretty darn poor.

These aren’t excuses and every team deals with players out, etc.. but rather these show what the young/rebuild team has had to deal with. It’s easier for top teams to handle these losses, much harder on rebuild/young teams. Yet the team sits at 8-8-1. It just shows that they aren’t necessarily 8-8-1 without adversity or with just everything going their way. I don’t think they could possibly have a better record with all those factors listed. Showing some character and grit to just find ways to wins. If we had maybe Singer/Martin for all 17 games and better goalie play, we might have been sitting 3/4 in the conference and wouldn’t that have been something.

Point is that I agree with you EON, the team is heading in the right direction. Adding someone like Alexander and fixing the goalie situation (either in house or by addition) could see this team be sneaky good next year

Reactions: HarrynLloyd and EON

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
What makes the SSM win more remarkable is the fact that they were missing 3 defensemen, 2 of which are pretty good (Martin and Drysdale). A shortened bench, 1,300 miles of travel, great SSM team, what's not to like? I think they will end up over .500 and in the playoffs, as I said before the season began. Any word on Kischnick? So, he crushes Pilon with a clean hit, and then this Candella, who is bigger and older, starts pounding him. Candella should be suspended for that, especially if Kischnick got hurt because of it. I like Kischnick's game a lot. He is one of the hardest hitters in the OHL.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What makes the SSM win more remarkable is the fact that they were missing 3 defensemen, 2 of which are pretty good (Martin and Drysdale). A shortened bench, 1,300 miles of travel, great SSM team, what's not to like? I think they will end up over .500 and in the playoffs, as I said before the season began. Any word on Kischnick? So, he crushes Pilon with a clean hit, and then this Candella, who is bigger and older, starts pounding him. Candella should be suspended for that, especially if Kischnick got hurt because of it. I like Kischnick's game a lot. He is one of the hardest hitters in the OHL.
You know that’s how it goes these days. Players feel the need to step up after one of their players are the victim of a big hit, clean or not. I don’t necessarily condone it but it does show team unity and it was a Pilon, who are likely very respected. Candella is an OA and doesn’t fight much at all so he’s no goon. Absolutely nothing suspendable there. Also, Kischnick is a tough kid who handled himself very well. It’s unfortunate if he was injured in the fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->