Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Nelli -impressed..Been keeping an eye on his play since he got here ..I like the kid - good skater - great hustle and looks fundamentally sound ..
I think we are under utilizing him.. I’ve seen him want to jump in the Zone and contribute .. then he realizes and does a u turn and heads back to the blue line like a scalded dog... looks like he was used to pushing up perhaps in LDN but probably was shuffled back in their lineup due to them being loaded this year .. we traded for him - USE HIM!!set the kid up kind of like a D Raddysh and let’s get more use and points out of him .. God knows we need it ..

Positives from the game were we hung w the Soo for basically 2 periods .. needed a goal that first period and didn’t get it - maybe hit the post a few times..the 3rd goal was garbage and bounced off the boards I think and off Murphy and in the net for 3-1.. then of course coach thought we had Strome - Cerelli and DeBrincat in the lineup and could score 2 goals in 59 seconds and pulled Murphy for a 4-1 final score..

I was sitting right in from of the goal on the weird bounce. It literally hit off the boards and trickled in. Like i'm not kidding it hit the boards, rolled towards the post and rolled over into the net. Murphy moved his skate slightly, unaware the puck was there and pushed it over the line.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I was sitting right in from of the goal on the weird bounce. It literally hit off the boards and trickled in. Like i'm not kidding it hit the boards, rolled towards the post and rolled over into the net. Murphy moved his skate slightly, unaware the puck was there and pushed it over the line.
One thing I’ll say about Murphy,
He has looked much more consistent since the start of the new year (since the 2nd half of the year began)
He’s not playing perfect but definitely more consistent. The difference now is we don’t have the offense so still aren’t winning consistently

Murphy has a .901 save percentage in 2nd half of the year

This includes a sample size of 10 games and involves 8 games in which he has given up 3 or less goals.

compare this to the first half of the year where Murphy had a .874 save percentage in 30 games played. He had just 13/30 games in which he gave up 3 or less goals a game

He’s playing better and the stats back it up. Let’s see if he can continue it. If he can finish the 2nd half of the year with stats between .890-.900 (preferably the higher end of that) then there is enough improvement there for me to still give him a shot next year and add a cheap vet goalie in trade to push him/give us another option.
Otherwise, if he starts going backwards again, I would push for a goalie in the import draft

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Hoffman looks like a completely different player this second half ..More aggressive and physical -..Has good size and athletic ..

Do you guys think he will crack the top 6 in the future ??

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hoffman looks like a completely different player this second half ..More aggressive and physical -..Has good size and athletic ..

Do you guys think he will crack the top 6 in the future ??

I liked him after Erie drafted him. Always was a big fan

How Hoffman performs next year will be the telling point. He will be in his 3rd year (2nd year on the roster) and will have to compete with all the forwards coming back. Plus a potential 1st round pick, an Import pick, and other signings we don’t know about. It’s a crowded group and 1/2 guys will get released and another 1/2 guys could get traded. So we will find out next year. I definitely think that given his size and how he competes, he can be a top a 9 guy. If he can be that physical guy and a PK grinder, Erie will find a spot for him because we need that

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Hoffmann was really trying to score vs SOO. Of course they all are, but he in particular stood out as well as Gritz that game. They were both out to score that night and i'm glad they both could in Hamilton. Very much deserved.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Must admit miss seeing Erie in the upper echelon of the league and battling it out with the Knights? Realistically is next year a return to glory for you? I thought at the time you would not suffer the big dip in performance but it’s been longer then expected?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie has a shot top be a top four team next season if a few things go right. The rebuild is pretty much where I expected it to be more or less, they're probably a little worse this season than they should be. That's partly due to injuries: Fowler was expected to be a top 6 forward and has missed a huge chunk of the season with a collarbone injury, Golod was starting to heat up and contribute as a top 6 forward and now he's out with mono. They've also had a horrible PK and inconsistent goaltending. If things had gone better they could definitely have been in the 5-8 conversation this season, now they're scratching for 8th.

This is obviously a huge offseason, between possibly making a coaching change, hitting on the draft picks, and trying to land some of the NCAA guys.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Must admit miss seeing Erie in the upper echelon of the league and battling it out with the Knights? Realistically is next year a return to glory for you? I thought at the time you would not suffer the big dip in performance but it’s been longer then expected?

Last year was expected. I thought winning 23 games was overall a decent year when all things were considered

This year I said 28-30 wins should be what us fans can realistically expect. With 19 games to go, Erie sits at 20 wins. So a possibility and a chance to get to 27-28 wins on the year

The goalie play and special teams, particularly the PK, has cost them. If those areas were just slightly better we are talking about a team with 23/24 wins currently

That being said, the stage 2 of the rebuild was about playing young guys and getting/identifying future stars. We are younger this year than last year. And Drysdale/Fowler/Cajka/Golod and others will all be much more experienced going into next season.

Realistically? If Brown wants this team to win 35-38 games next year, I think we definitely can. It’s up to him to identify the goalie problem and the coaching issue (PK problems, etc). If he can do that, then Erie should be back to a middle pack team next year. With 2020-21 their next chance to be at the top. Which to me is as good as we can hope for after losing a billion assets and going for it for 4 straight years. Returning to the top tier of teams in 3-4 years would be impressive

Leo Minem

Feb 4, 2019
I think there's too much emphasis on Erie signing NCAA commits for next year, odds are Alexander is not going anywhere else other than ASU as word has it he's going to the USHL next year. Swankler is the best chance of coming to Erie as he used to play on the same team as Kischnick and he is originally from PA. Not to mention that we already stole 2 guys from college supposedly, Hoffmann from somewhere in the east, I heard an Ivy so maybe Princeton or Dartmouth, and we have Drysdale who was without a doubt touting many D1 schools that wouldn't hesitate on giving him a full ride.

On top of that D'amato and Sellan are looking to be decent pickups for what we got them, D'amato being good from midget. Sellan also proving to be a hard worker and very competent, simply needs to become faster in a straight line.

So my vision of the future is that Erie is fine, if we get NCAA commits to come we'll be that much better, Fowler coming back healthy is important, Golod becoming more consistent and reliable will be massive in generating offense, Drysdale shouldn't have any problems in being a positive factor for Erie as he's proven that so far. Murphy and whichever goalie we grab next year will also be a huge addition. Hoffmann needs to be the big guy, making energy, and contributing offensively when he needs to, late birth date as well, him and fowler will have a big year I'd think. Favourite player on the team has to be Duff, I'd honestly believe this guy is responsible enough for a captaincy next year, he's big, strong, fast, and his shot is heavy. He looks to be a rock back there on defence and isn't afraid to step up when needed

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
With 2020-21 their next chance to be at the top. Which to me is as good as we can hope for after losing a billion assets and going for it for 4 straight years. Returning to the top tier of teams in 3-4 years would be impressive

Losing your coach was probably the biggest loss even more so than going for it 4 years in a row? The Knights are lucky in this regard as our coach is an owner looking to staying close to home after years on the road playing in the NHL. I truly believe the 1/2 year in Washington made Dale appreciate he likes coaching players on the way up not players who have made it.

Hopefully we are still up there when you all make it back. Recent success would say we will BUT you never know for sure it is a game after all.

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think there's too much emphasis on Erie signing NCAA commits for next year, odds are Alexander is not going anywhere else other than ASU as word has it he's going to the USHL next year. Swankler is the best chance of coming to Erie as he used to play on the same team as Kischnick and he is originally from PA. Not to mention that we already stole 2 guys from college supposedly, Hoffmann from somewhere in the east, I heard an Ivy so maybe Princeton or Dartmouth, and we have Drysdale who was without a doubt touting many D1 schools that wouldn't hesitate on giving him a full ride.

On top of that D'amato and Sellan are looking to be decent pickups for what we got them, D'amato being good from midget. Sellan also proving to be a hard worker and very competent, simply needs to become faster in a straight line.

So my vision of the future is that Erie is fine, if we get NCAA commits to come we'll be that much better, Fowler coming back healthy is important, Golod becoming more consistent and reliable will be massive in generating offense, Drysdale shouldn't have any problems in being a positive factor for Erie as he's proven that so far. Murphy and whichever goalie we grab next year will also be a huge addition. Hoffmann needs to be the big guy, making energy, and contributing offensively when he needs to, late birth date as well, him and fowler will have a big year I'd think. Favourite player on the team has to be Duff, I'd honestly believe this guy is responsible enough for a captaincy next year, he's big, strong, fast, and his shot is heavy. He looks to be a rock back there on defence and isn't afraid to step up when needed

I agree, it will be very tough to get those ncaa commits. But Erie has 3 D1 commits and so just getting 1 would be noteworthy and a big boost. Getting 2 would be amazing but even 1 would be impressive. So there is a chance at swaying just 1 of 3

Hoffman was looking college route. That I can confirm.
Drysdale? Not even close to the same thing. He’s an elite and smart player so he obviously had college offers and opportunities. Anyone would take that guy. He used the college card to avoid going to Peterborough and Flint. He didn’t want to go there and flirted with college for those two teams. But he came to Erie in March for a visit and basically committed to the team. The second Erie drafted him, he had an interview in which he said that much “this is where I wanted to be”
So we didn’t really sway him from college. If Drysdale said no to us before the draft, we simply don’t draft him..

I like Duff too. He’s a good player who might be ready for a much better year next season. However, I think Drysdale has the captain title if he shows it. From what I hear, he’s that type of guy (was in minor midget) and Erie wants him to be the new face of the franchise for the next 2-3 years

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Buttsy, losing Kris Knoblauch was a huge lose for sure. He seems to have the Flyers PP pointed in the right direction at this point. He had terrific communication skills between himself and the players and coaches. He walked the fine line between being too harsh on the kids, and yet letting them know when they needed to improve. Most of all, he had the player's respect. It was neat to see him on TV the other day when the Oilers were in Philly. I would take him back in a heartbeat, but that will never happen. It won't be too long before he is a head coach. McDavid said it best-"Coach K is the best coach I ever had-sorry Dad".

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
Well it’s game day vs The Rangers tonight ..

Thoughts ??? Personally I hope we don’t come out and have the 1st period blues again .. Start strong -CeCe started last game I believe - prob Murph in tonight

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
How's the Erie weather? Bad ice storm in most of Ontario. Might be a long night again for the Rangers after last Wednesday's debacle on the roads in Owen Sound.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
The ice storm was some 40-50 miles north of I-86. However, the fog is terrible. The temperature was 46 F, but there is still lots of snow on the ground, creating thick fog. We get Buffalo TV, and apparently near Buffalo, ice caused some problems with outages and accidents.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Well I stand corrected on my previous comments about Murph the other day. Was seeing progress and then he comes out and gives up 6 goals on 16 shots..

Save percentage plummets back down to where it was in the first half of the season

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Well I stand corrected on my previous comments about Murph the other day. Was seeing progress and then he comes out and gives up 6 goals on 16 shots..

Save percentage plummets back down to where it was in the first half of the season

I take it you didn’t watch the game?
Parsons and Dipietro would have given up all those goals except maybe the second one.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I take it you didn’t watch the game?
Parsons and Dipietro would have given up all those goals except maybe the second one.
Sorry I did watch and see the goals

The 4th and the 5th goals.. okay fine, odd man rushes, I won’t blame him. The 2nd was terrible and the other 3 were largely due to bad positioning (particularly on the 6th goal). So 2 goals I won’t blame him, but if that’s a good goalie on his game, he saves 3 out of the other 4. Or at least 2 of the other 4. Again, Murphy’s issue is terrible consistency. Terrible. It’s like one minute he’s good and the next he forgot his fundamentals and positioning

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Sorry I did watch and see the goals

The 4th and the 5th goals.. okay fine, odd man rushes, I won’t blame him. The 2nd was terrible and the other 3 were largely due to bad positioning (particularly on the 6th goal). So 2 goals I won’t blame him, but if that’s a good goalie on his game, he saves 3 out of the other 4. Or at least 2 of the other 4. Again, Murphy’s issue is terrible consistency. Terrible. It’s like one minute he’s good and the next he forgot his fundamentals and positioning

I agree on the second goal. But I can’t see how you can blame the others on him. Cross crease passes with no Dman anywhere to be found. The team was terrible defensively in front of him plain and simple. The loss tonight was on the overall teams defensive play and not Murphy.

Reactions: EON and ZinErie

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
I'm with puck patrol on last night's game. I've never been a Murphy fan, but I hang that game on the D. I can't recall when I've seen more 2 on 1 and 3 on 1's.

Reactions: Puck Patrol

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yeah that one wasn't Murphy's fault, terrible defensive coverage. Playoff chances are quickly diminishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad