Ericsson on waivers, per Freidman

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Ericsson was a good #5 d-man who peaked as a decent #4, but when the injuries hit his wrist, groin and hip unsurprisingly his play tailed off. He was overpaid as he never really made use of his early offensive skills (partly due to Babs trying to turn everyone ever 6" into defensive D or grinding forward) and then his is unlucky run of injuries. Had he never had to play higher than #4 and had his contract been half of what it was, he would have been much more popular, but ultimately Mr irrelevant converted from center proved to be much more able at pro-hockey than the range of first and second round picks we took after him.

Its a shame he's done (if he is) for what it means for his injury state, but with the team being where it is, and he being at the level of effectiveness he currently is, there's not a whole lot of point of him being with the wings.

He's achieved more than we could have ever expected, but less than we hoped for at one point, but overall he's been a good soldier for the wings.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, those of us in here not trying to bury him are saying farewell and thanks for the good hockey he gave us. If he’s done, the bad hockey and overstaying his welcome goes away. He got **** on because he had a bad contract for what he was. He got **** on for being representative of a way of thinking. He was still a good player at a point during his career. None of us are hailing him as a legend, just saying “thank you, Jonathan, for what you’ve done for us.”

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wish him the best. I am not really going to engage in this thread beyond that into the name calling and older stale points that seem to be littering this thread.

Big E was always reliable to stick up for his teammates, was a solid stay at home guy for a time and ultimately gave up being healthy for a while to keep trying to play his best. I hope he gets what he is looking for out of the rest of this year. I will always be a fan of this shinguard assassin. Every time I think of Ericsson I think of my buddy in the AHL with two black eyes saying to me "that big ******* Swede throws ******* bombs" walking into my bar after a two game weekend in Grand Rapids. He said Ericsson was still the toughest fights he ever had in his career, got mopped by him a couple times.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
And lose out on 4 or 5m? I forget what it is. I think hell take the assignment to GR. Which I'm ok with, he'd be a decent vet leader for the youth.

I hope he gets his last home goodbye game with the wings though. I love ericcson, was a solid "pylon" defender and a good person as well as teammate. Not his fault he was overpaid and signed too long.

I thought he had another year after this, but you're right, I don't see how he won't get paid regardless; whether it's legit or under the table.

Regardless of what happens this season, he'll get a very warm reception for his "retirement."

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Now, I can't wait until Flip and Franz Ferdinand (Nielsen) are no longer on the roster. Oh, and Helm and Abdelkader. All are past their expiration date on a rebuilding team.

Helm and Flip are the last remnants of the 08 champs. Abby, E, and Howie were Black Aces that year. Has it been 11 years? 12??

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
First, I will say: Good riddance.

Secondly, I will say that I have nothing against Ericsson as a person or a professional. He gave an honest effort almost every game. Ericsson's contract and presence on the roster wasn't his fault, it was Holland's. It wasn't Ericsson's fault that he was a borderline NHLer given a second-pair defenseman contract and played as a second defenseman on a dumpster fire roster. If an NHL GM called me up and offered me an insured, 4 million per year contract I would take it too.

I hope he does well with whatever comes next. I also hope to never see him on the Wings NHL roster again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yep.

Then came the hip problems.

He also shattered a finger. I don't remember which hand, but his ability to handle the puck just went all to hell after that. I found it mentioned in an article earlier today that was six months after the injury and he said his hand still wasn't back at that point. Not sure his hand ever got entirely back to normal.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He also shattered a finger. I don't remember which hand, but his ability to handle the puck just went all to hell after that. I found it mentioned in an article earlier today that was six months after the injury and he said his hand still wasn't back at that point. Not sure his hand ever got entirely back to normal.
Yeah, probably why he didn't fight as often after the injury.

Also, here's the hip injury article:
Red Wings' Jonathan Ericsson battling hip ailment, lack of confidence

Before the hip injury, he looked like he was going to become a decent middle pair, and Holland signed him in accordance. Holland had no idea the extent of the hip problem. This wasn't like the Abby, Helm, Weiss contracts that were horrible before the ink dried.

I'm not sad to see him go, but I don't see any reason to bash him at this point. It's part of the rebuild, there will be others let go as well. It is what it is.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Oh yeah... "He was great for being a 9th round pick and was able to hang in the NHL for 12 years." That's some damn high praise. :huh:

"He was a good defenseman,"
"He was a great defenseman."
"He played well for us over the years." (he has like 2 or 3 1/2 decent years.)

He's been overpaid ever since his second deal. He signed the deals and earned the harsh scrutiny he received from fans.

Another Holland joke contract.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No one is saying he shouldnt/wouldnt have been done a while ago. Its the BS part about how he was never good. The exact same crap happened with Cleary as well. Did they overstay their welcome to fans? Definitely, but that doesnt mean they werent good hockey players at some point in their careers. Some people cant separate the old guy from the young one who earned a solid contract

But when was Ericsson good?
I can think of only a few times.
09 playoffs.
12-13.
And that's about it.

Ericsson never earned his contract. It was a bloated, stupid contract the day it was negotiated.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
sad how much praise he got for having an average career, were Kronwall did have a great career and people could barely be bothered to notice.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
People would remember him more fondly if he wasn't used as a #2 and #3 defenseman for so long.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I wish him the best. I am not really going to engage in this thread beyond that into the name calling and older stale points that seem to be littering this thread.

Big E was always reliable to stick up for his teammates, was a solid stay at home guy for a time and ultimately gave up being healthy for a while to keep trying to play his best. I hope he gets what he is looking for out of the rest of this year. I will always be a fan of this shinguard assassin. Every time I think of Ericsson I think of my buddy in the AHL with two black eyes saying to me "that big ******* Swede throws ******* bombs" walking into the my bar after a two game weekend in Grand Rapids. He said Ericsson was still the toughest fights he ever had in his career, got mopped by him a couple times.

Same here, I am not sure why some posters feel the need to bring up the same points over and over again that they have brought up for years in other threads.

With that said, if this is it for E (my gut tells me its not though), you have to look back on his career and respect what he was able to accomplish based on what he was projected to do. Guy was a solid top 4 D-man during his peak, that unfortunately had his career derailed by injuries. No question that he was overpaid based on his output, but I can't blame a player for accepting a contract and I don't want to make this thread about former management. Hopefully he picks up his game in GR, and at the TDL we move him for a mid round pick.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yup. No matter how it ended, his career was a success. Not many people drafted where he is play a full season in the AHL, let alone a career that earned them 20+ million.

Unfortunate for him but there are worse things to be than a washed up, handsome pro athlete with millions in the bank and likely enough stories for a life time.

Pretty much. He may not have met the high expectations he set for himself after his strong 2007-09 (especially the 09 playoff run) but he blew expectations out of the water for where he was drafted and made a hell of a living while doing so.

Can’t say I’ll miss him as he was one of my most hated players from 2013-16, but congratulations on a good career to him.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Last pick of the '02 draft. Not too shabby all things considered. Who cares what he got paid, it's not my money. And it didn't keep the wings from landing a franchise altering FA.

Reactions: lilidk

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
My bet: He clears, "fails to report," the Wings suspend him, then do the whole contract termination thing.

Then he becomes a skills coach in GR or something.

Except he was placed on regular waivers, not unconditional waivers, which is what usually leads to the contract termination.... So I think he will end up reporting to GR. Maybe mentor the kids in GR for the rest of the year, then retire from playing at season end. If he can get back into game playing shape, and actually play games, then the Wings might still call him back up if they need him. My take is that the team doesn't think he's going to be NHL ready this season, so no sense wasting an NHL roster spot on him. Wings need Dmen, and roster spots, and Ericsson is taking a roster spot while not being available to play. No sense in wasting his roster spot for the year in hoping he gets back to playing shape. He can do that in GR and not take up a spot on the Wings. if he is able to get back into playing shape before the end of the year, and the wings need him, he'll get called up.

Reactions: RedMenace

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Ericsson is the Abdelkader of defense. Kenny paid him too much, Babcock/Blashill used him wrong, and that's why everyone hates him.

Ericsson should have never been more than a 1.5 million per year third-pairing guy playing roughly 16-17 minutes per night. His place on the roster was more due to Holland's pathological inability to build a roster post-2009. Babcock/Blashill can't help it when the bottom four defenders on the team are all AHL level guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad