Ericsson on waivers, per Freidman

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
For all the celebrating in this thread, it's worth remembering that the Wings took a dead last pick and ended up with a serviceable defenseman who played 12 years in the NHL.

That's the thing though. He should have never played 12 years in the league. Him playing hurt the Red Wings' chances.

Reactions: Kronwalled55
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hopefully they can work something out to just terminate the contract and let him help with coaching or something.

It would be sad to see him at GR at this point, it just doesn't really fit with where the Griffins are at.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ericsson is a success story with the wings. Drafted in the 9th round in 2002.
Jonathan Ericsson was a forward when he was drafted or only a few years before he was converted to a defensemen.
Here is an NHL article on his milestones in the offseason: By the Numbers: Jonathan Ericsson

This man turned out to be a great D man for us for a decade. The only reason everyone around here is upset with Ericsson is because they moved him up to the top pairing in the past few years. That is an unfair way to measure his effectiveness as a hockey player.

Ericsson was a career Red Wing. He played well for us over the years. I wish him all the best.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Professionally. Nice work. Had a good career and did a solid job for the most part. But, it's been time to move on for 2-3 years now. Writting has been on the wall for awhile outside of the money.

Hopefully he'll settle in the AHL and help develop some kids. If a team wants him, kudos my man, good luck somewhere else.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's the thing though. He should have never played 12 years in the league. Him playing hurt the Red Wings' chances.
Chances at what?

The team hasn't been competitive in years now. And they won the Cup in 08 and made it to the finals in 09 with Brett Friggin Lebda on the team. I know he's been a popular whipping boy much of his tenure on the Wings but Ericsson is a decent stay at home D-man and much of his career he was worthy of playing in the 5th maybe even 4th spot.

Ericsson didn't hurt the Wings chances. The Wings inability to draft and develop better defenseman hurt their chances. If it wasn't Ericsson in the lineup it would've been some journeyman plug.

Reactions: Oddbob and BSHH

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Jonathan Ericsson was a forward when he was drafted or only a few years before he was converted to a defensemen.
Here is an NHL article on his milestones in the offseason: By the Numbers: Jonathan Ericsson

This man turned out to be a great D man for us for a decade. The only reason everyone around here is upset with Ericsson is because they moved him up to the top pairing in the past few years. That is an unfair way to measure his effectiveness as a hockey player.

Ericsson was a career Red Wing. He played well for us over the years. I wish him all the best.

Great? He was a serviceable bottom pairing defensive defensemen, a bit of a stretch on the 2nd pair, but during his prime could hold his own there. He's in a class with Mike Commodore, Andreas Lilja, Hal Gill. An overall success story given his where he was drafted, absolutely. But nobody would consider him "great" by any stretch of the imagination.

He was paid way too much for way too long for what he was. That contract is an indictment on the failures of Ken Holland and Red Wings management during the late 2000s until the late 2010s. Ericsson was the best of a crop of drafted defensemen that has included Kyle Quincey, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Ryan Sproul, Hickets, Marchenko, and Nick Jensen.
That failure to draft any impact defensemen for 10 years is why the Wings have been a bottom feeder for going on 4 years. If Ericsson is your best drafted defensemen in 10 years, you're going to have a really bad time. And here we are.

Those failings are totally on ken Holland and the Red Wings. Ultimately Ericsson had a solid career as NHL hockey player. I wish him in the best in his likely retirement.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
^^ You can still see the hate in this thread.
But yes I totally agree, its not Ericsson's fault he was played so high in the line-up, its the GM's fault for having Ericsson who was an OK #4, good #5.. move up the lineup without replacing the top 3 d. Now I'm not blaming the GM for not finding that talent, as we drafted poorly and in bad position. But blaming Ericsson for his play as a #2/#3 D man is not fair when he never should have got that kind of ice time.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Great? He was a serviceable bottom pairing defensive defensemen, a bit of a stretch on the 2nd pair, but during his prime could hold his own there. He's in a class with Mike Commodore, Andreas Lilja, Hal Gill. An overall success story given his where he was drafted, absolutely. But nobody would consider him "great" by any stretch of the imagination.

He was paid way too much for way too long for what he was. That contract is an indictment on the failures of Ken Holland and Red Wings management during the late 2000s until the late 2010s. Ericsson was the best of a crop of drafted defensemen that has included Kyle Quincey, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Ryan Sproul, Hickets, Marchenko, and Nick Jensen.
That failure to draft any impact defensemen for 10 years is why the Wings have been a bottom feeder for going on 4 years. If Ericsson is your best drafted defensemen in 10 years, you're going to have a really bad time. And here we are.

Those failings are totally on the Red Wings. Ultimately Ericsson had a tremendous career for what he was. I wish him in the best in his likely retirement.

Obviously I fully agreed with your last 2 paragraphs. Ericsson should not be that high.
What I mean is "For a 9th pick, he did a great job to become an NHL player". and one that stayed (earned his right to stay) in the league for a decade. That is great.

You are right I am not saying he's a great D man in comparison to top line talent. I am saying he was a great piece of coal that we turned into a nice shiny piece of coal :)

Reactions: TheClap

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
> Ericsson sucks, what a horrible hockey player

> Just give Brendan Smith more time

Ericsson wasn't all that bad

Ericsson was never good.
I just can't get behind a NHL level hockey player handling every puck like it's a live grenade
Just lucky he was a Swede on the team favoring Swedes for years.
He wouldn't have had anywhere close to 14 years career under any other GM

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Okay player at one point but he’s been bad for a long time now. I feel like he’s symbolic of where this franchise has been for the past 5ish years (old, mediocre and overpaid).

He was lucky enough to play 12(?) years in the league which not many can say. Seems like a good dude too. Wishing him all the best and hope he can find a different way to bring value to the org

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Ericsson was never good.
I just can't get behind a NHL hockeyplayer handling every puck like it's a live grenade
Just lucky he was a Swede on the team favoring Swedes for years.
He wouldn't have had anywhere close to 14 years career under any other GM
Where did I say he was good?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Jeez... so much love for a guy who didn't accomplish much at all, regardless of where he was picked.

Ericsson was a two-way defenseman who was misused in Detroit by Babcock, who wanted him to be a stay-at-home, tough, crosscheck you in the back defenseman.
You could always tell he forced himself to be that kind of guy.
But he really wasn't. He was never that good in the defensive zone. His positioning was always off. For a big guy who spent so much time in the dzone, he blocked so few shots.

I don't think he thought the game quite quick enough to get the most out of his offensive skill set, which was underrated. Or maybe his hands just weren't fast enough. Over the years, he's had some nice breakout passes, flashing that ability. But his point shot... the dude just couldn't get it off.

He's been overpaid since two contracts ago.

But... he had a decent career. Nothing special, obviously. Never did live up to what he showed in the AHL and the 09 NHL playoffs. Not even close But still, yeah, great for where we drafted him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Great?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad