Player Discussion Eric Staal Part II

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
IDK - what's the last team that won a Stanley Cup that didn't add pieces at the deadline. Most contenders try to bolster their lineup at the deadline - hard to criticize a team for that especially after a 100+ point season. It's easy to look at things in the rear view mirror...

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
IDK - what's the last team that won a Stanley Cup that didn't add pieces at the deadline. Most contenders try to bolster their lineup at the deadline - hard to criticize a team for that especially after a 100+ point season. It's easy to look at things in the rear view mirror...

Every team does it, but it's rare that those players have any significant impact.

Hindsight has nothing to do with it. Many people said the trade was stupid at the time it happened, myself included.

The hindsight argument is ridiculous anyway. How else are we supposed to judge? Management gets paid to have foresight. They are judged on the results. They don't get points because some fans agreed with the move at the time it happened.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Hindsight? WTF? Probably half this board thought it was a terrible trade the moment it was made. There were lots of problems with it at the time, the top three probably being:

1. Eric Staal isn't really that good anymore
2. Didn't address any of the team's needs
3. Eric Staal isn't really that good anymore

E. Staal is now entering that phase of his career where there's no noticeable difference between him and players like Kevin Hayes or Oscar Lindberg but hipster hockey fans will pretend he's doing tons of cool stuff that regular hockey fans just aren't astute enough to notice.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Hindsight? WTF? Probably half this board thought it was a terrible trade the moment it was made. There were lots of problems with it at the time, the top three probably being:

1. Eric Staal isn't really that good anymore
2. Didn't address any of the team's needs
3. Eric Staal isn't really that good anymore

E. Staal is now entering that phase of his career where there's no noticeable difference between him and players like Kevin Hayes or Oscar Lindberg but hipster hockey fans will pretend he's doing tons of cool stuff that regular hockey fans just aren't astute enough to notice.

I get the idea of getting him: you add depth and maybe you better the fourth line by moving one of the third liners down.

What I don't get is 1) they overpaid for a 3C and 2) who were they really bidding against as Staal could decide where he would be traded to (which is also why I don't buy the idea that the Rangers had to pay more because the Canes retained salary).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
0 points and a -6 in 4 playoff games. That's what we got for a promising prospect in Saarela and 2 2nd round picks.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
0 points and a -6 in 4 playoff games. That's what we got for a promising prospect in Saarela and 2 2nd round picks.

Make that 0 points and a -7 in 5 playoff games.

Sucks that I was completely right about this trade, hoping I wasn't going to be. Nice one Gorton.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

Sucks that I was completely right about this trade, hoping I wasn't going to be. Nice one Gorton.

Same - went ballistic when this trade happened and hated every single minute of play Staal had here.

He ****ing sucked, and anyone who watches hockey outside of the Rangers should have seen it coming.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Oh, and one of two players who couldnt record a single point the whole series(who played all the games), him and Stralberg. Grats

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Credit where credit is due. You hated this from the start. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but the guy is absolutely cooked.

Do not want any part of him next season.

*Bob Richards*

I was hoping for two things with this trade:

-He would undergo a "revitalization" of sorts. I wasn't asking for the 2006 Eric Staal but a little production would be lovely.

-Glass gets pushed out of the lineup with the added depth.

Neither of these things happened.

The latter being obviously out of his power but yeah, not a good trade. :/

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Every one of our pro scouts who were involved in this debacle should be fired immediately.

This is probably the worst part of losing so early. we knew this team wasn't good enough to go all the way but getting absolutely no results from this guy is just unreal. unless he was hurt he showed absolutely no heart.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Maybe this seems a little absurd but this has got to be up there as one of the worst trades in the history of the franchise right? I mean, it's not franchise altering or even close but taking into account the price paid, the amount of future assets given up in previous trades, the declining offensive production over the past few years of Staal's career, the fact that the trade didn't address any of the teams actual problems, and the fact that the team itself just wasn't very good coupled in with basically zero production from Staal while here it was just a flat out disaster.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Credit where credit is due. You hated this from the start. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but the guy is absolutely cooked.

Do not want any part of him next season.

cooked for sure and today played with zero heart. in 25 games the islander game was the only game i can say he looked "elite" or even close to that.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Maybe this seems a little absurd but this has got to be up there as one of the worst trades in the history of the franchise right? I mean, it's not franchise altering or even close but taking into account the price paid, the amount of future assets given up in previous trades, the declining offensive production over the past few years of Staal's career, the fact that the trade didn't address any of the teams actual problems, and the fact that the team itself just wasn't very good coupled in with basically zero production from Staal while here it was just a flat out disaster.

Its bad. the only silver lining is that he's gone and we don't have his contract to burden us but your point is well taken

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I mean, they've traded 2 2nd's and Horak for Tim Erixon before

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I mean, they've traded 2 2nd's and Horak for Tim Erixon before

At least they were able to utilize Erixon to help land Nash.

Ryane Clowe deal was pretty horrible but that first night where he scored twice after not scoring the entire season was hilarious at least. Can't tell you a damn thing Eric Staal did that was notable.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Was mad at what they gave up for him, but willing to give it a chance. Talk about colossal waste of assets. I defended the MSL trade, I defended the Yandle trade, but this was pretty obvious given the state of the team to be doomed from the start.

Saarela is not guaranteed to be a slam dunk prospect, but if he can avoid the health risks, I think he's going to be a very good 2-way forward.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Rear view mirror? A lot of knew it was a terrible trade from day one, this isn't hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad