Player Discussion Eric Staal Part II

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Like I said I think with a better team the trade would have been a decent one from a "go for it" perspective but there were too many problems that adding Staal wouldn't fix even if he played real well. I think the "going for it one last time" mentality overtook the more cautious approach and that sucks. I can understand it, but it still sucks.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
i wouldnt mind signing him if and ONLY IF, nash got traded and we gave him 3-3.5 maybe 4.

i'm still of the belief that if he had better line mates he would have produced, still think av used him incorrectly (not like that is much of a surprise)

with nash gone he'd move up

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Staal is going to be an unrestricted free agent after this season, but Gorton said he was not granted permission to start negotiating prior to the trade. Although Gorton added he thinks Staal “is still a young player, in our mind has some years left,” this is being viewed as a rental that hopefully yields the franchise’s first championship since 1994.

“We’re acquiring him to make our team better today and see where it takes us,” Gorton said on a conference call. “Then going forward, we hope it works out real well for both and we’ll talk then. For now, he’s a Ranger today and we’ll see what happens.” ...

“We’re looking at a player that we think could be energized by this trade,” Gorton said. “We see the numbers, we scouted him a lot, I think we know the player as well as anybody. We think, we put him into our team, surrounded by some of the pieces we have, we’re going to get a lot out of him and he’s going to be energized to come to New York and play for the Rangers.”

http://nypost.com/2016/02/28/rangers-land-eric-staal-in-deadline-splash/

Not sure their player evaluation is top notch.

To me those are kind of big red flags, they scouted him, they though he was young and has years left, they thought it was an "energize" thing which I assume means they thought he was just dogging it in Carolina.

I was making fun of the energize thing all along in this thread, but now it's not funny. I kind of think they are going to go into this off-season with those same scouting reports, the same ideas that this player or that one is not that old, and they are just not putting up stats because they are in a bad spot and will play much better for the Rangers.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
As far as rentals go, this has to be up there with one of the worst trades in recent NYR history. Worse than the Clowe trade - that's for sure.

Absolute no to any kind of re-signing him. Both he and his brother can take a hike all the way back to Thunder Bay.

*Bob Richards*

I remember that some people actually liked this trade while I thought it was an abomination. Good times.

I was against it initially but came around to really wanting to give it a chance.

Considering the teams actual needs and barren prospect cupboard, I wonder where this trade ranks amongst the worst we've made since the 05 lockout.

I don't/haven't/didn't see anything in Eric Staal that warrants resigning.

Agreed.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
i wouldnt mind signing him if and ONLY IF, nash got traded and we gave him 3-3.5 maybe 4.

i'm still of the belief that if he had better line mates he would have produced, still think av used him incorrectly (not like that is much of a surprise)

with nash gone he'd move up

I really hope that Gorton doesn't feel this way. Staal is done.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Staal's an average third liner at this point. Nothing more. He's lucky if he gets anything past 6M over 2 years.

I would give staal a 2 year 4mil deal. i think if you give him the right players he could be a good grinding 3rd liner. those kinds of players are worth 2 mil a year....and i think (since im embracing the tank) you need vets to bring kids along. of course it'll never happen so GTFO.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I was joking around about keeping Staal. We should be in the Staal selling business not the Staal keeping business.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was joking around about keeping Staal. We should be in the Staal selling business not the Staal keeping business.

I made a joke in one of the trade threads on the main boards of another Staal at 50% retained for Saarela trade? If Carolina wants to maintain two Staal's on their roster every year, we could all pitch in and pay for a plane ticket for Marc from LaGuardia to the Raleigh-Durham Airport.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I made a joke in one of the trade threads on the main boards of another Staal at 50% retained for Saarela trade? If Carolina wants to maintain two Staal's on their roster every year, we could all pitch in and pay for a plane ticket for Marc from LaGuardia to the Raleigh-Durham Airport.

Its not really a bad deal for Carolina. A vet dman with size/reach for 2.8 mill a year. I think they should consider it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

If I was the GM I'd be gutting the team..u still need players and assets u can flip at the deadline...he's a good buy low player if he can be had for two years or less and 2 mil per.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, I'm eating crow on this trade. Not happy about it, but I wish he was given a chance as a top-6 wing rather than as a center. He was more of a LW this season in Carolina, and he would've been the perfect player to establish cycles and draw players down low to open up space for our other forwards.

Alas, c'est la vie. Not really looking forward to Carolina throwing out Aho-Saarela & Hanafin-Faulk against us in a couple of years.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I was okay with the payment when I thought we were getting a very good complimentary player. I hadn't paid any attention to Carolina, or else i would have realized that we were not getting that.

Just an awful trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad