• PSV

• FC Utrecht

• FC Groningen

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
The cup final was a prolonged affair, going all the way into penalties. Neither team probably deserved to win it outright, so PKs was justified in that regard.

Bunch of poor penalties from both sides, and it was left to Fabio Silva to score the final winning penalty for PSV.

Luuk de Jong won the cup in 2011 with Twente vs. Ajax and here he is again winning against them.

It was weird to see PSV celebrate their win on the pitch in green bathrobes they had pre-prepared.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
If my math and data collection is reliable (no guarantee here) Ajax has only been successful winning Eredivisie in 1 of 4 seasons in which they drew or lost to Excelsior.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I’d say for the first time in years that this will be PSV’s title to lose.

My take on the big 3:

Feyenoord:

Departments: Kökcu, Danilo and Szymanski.
Acquisitions: Zerrouki, Ueda, Stengs, Nieuwkoop and Ivanusec.

Feyenoord spent an accumulative of roughly 37M, while selling for 36M, excluding bonuses and sell on clauses.

For now it seems Feyenoord sold quality and got quantity in return. Kökcu enjoyed his breakthrough season last year. Reaching a level none of the newly acquired players are likely capable off. Zerrouki and Timber are the probable candidates to run the midfield now. For Eredivisie levels that is outstanding, but for a CL side it doesn’t exactly put any fear into the opposition. In a more offensive #10 role, Szymanski really was a threat last season and one of Feyenoord’s better players all together. I am exited to see what Ivanusec is capable off. Stengs might possess the same amount of talent, but he lacks the smarts and drive. He’s been nothing but a prima donna so far. Ueda will provide scoring depth and he will surely push Gimenez to perform well. He’ll be a more than capable stand in who could score double digits if starting, easily.

Feyenoord’s biggest W this offseason, and this is why they get a good grade here, is that their coach Slot decided to stay, despite multiple offers, including the Premier League. He’ll have them play a very complete game, with his players performing at their best. Geertruida not leaving to Leipzig will be massive for them as well (Feyenoord wanted more than the 30M Leipzig offered). He’s a rock back there and can play pretty much all defensive positions if need be.

Expected lineup (with player grades)

Attack: Ivanusec (NA), Gimenez (85), Paixão (81)

Midfield: Zerrouki (81) Wieffer (79), Timber (83)

Defense: Geertruida (85), Hancko (84), Hartman (83), Nieuwkoop (77)

Goalkeeper: Bijlow (81)

Bench: Ueda (NA), Trauner (77) Stengs (80), Jahanbahksk (78), Dilrosun (75)

Offseason grade: B+
Projected finish league: 2/3
Projected finish Champions League: Group stage

______

PSV

Departments
: Xavi Simons, Sangaré, and Gutierrez.
Acquisitions: Lang, Lozano, Pepi, Tillman, Schouten, Bella-Kotchap (loan), Dest (loan with buy option).

PSV spent an accumulative of roughly 52M, while selling for 45M, excluding bonuses and sell on clauses.

PSV lost their and Eredivisie’s MVP in Xavi Simons. However, there’s a lot of talent at his position that might help fans forget about Simons rather quickly. Noa Lang for instance, is an enfant terrible; the typical headcase with an amazing array of skills. Somewhat of a Neymar replica, only not as good, obviously. If he clicks, with both Peter Bosz, his teammates and the fans and he just matures a bit more, I really wouldn’t know his ceiling; he can be that good. The real gems of PSV however, and the reason why Simons will likely soon be forgotten, are Bakayoko (20) and especially Bababi (18). Two great threats with speed, dribbles and guts. They already possess the talent to contribute the way Madueke did last year. Especially under Bosz, they should be big weapons in his offensive system. Pepi will likely replace Luuk de Jong sooner or later, though you can never rule out Luuk de Jong. I really feel he’s one of the most limited strikers in all of Europe, but in terms of heading and coming up big when it matters, Luuk might be #1, still capable of scoring 15+ a season. Pepe is a more complete striker with the same scoring upside, so PSV is sitting comfortably here. Schouten was brought in to replace Sangaré, who just now finally left. Sangaré is a strong, not very mobile, pure CDM, whereas Schouten is more of a Frenkie de Jong type CDM, which might suit Peter Bosz’ style a bit better. He’s already used him at CB a few moments due to his calmness and ball playing skills.

PSV did well to sign Peter Bosz. One of the most offensive minded coaches out there. While his tactics will likely cost PSV some crucial points/exits on the biggest stage, he immediately turns PSV into a more entertaining and flowing team. Something they’ve really struggled with this past decade. In the Eredivisie, where PSV will be ball dominant vs 75% of their opponents, that should mean good things. PSV managed to upgrade it’s defense just before deadline struck, and that was quite necessary. Obispo is still injured, leaving Teze and Boscagli as their only solid defenders. Their backs were mediocre at best and in Bosz’ system, it should be an important position. This seems like the perfect opportunity for Dest to get his career back on track. Getting Bella-Kotchap to likely slot in at CB so Teze can play RB is a great piece of the puzzle.

Attack: Luuk de Jong (80), Lang (85), Bakayoko (84)

Midfield: Lozano (85), Schouten (82), Veerman (85)

Defense: Teze (83), Bella-Kotchap (NA), Dest (79), Boscagli (80)

Goalkeeper: Benitez (80)

Bench: Babadi (84), Saibari (82), Obispo (81-injured), Tillman (78), Til (74), Pepi (81), Sambo (76), Ramalho (73), van Aanholt (77)

Offseason grade: A-
Projected finish: 1
Projected finish Champions League: Group stage/round of 16

______

Ajax

Departments: Tadic, Alvarez, Timber, Kudus, Klaassen, Bassey, Daramy
Acquisitions: Forbs, van der Boomen, Sutalo, Tahirovic, Akpom, Mikautadze, Sosa, Avali, Mannsverk, Ramaj, Gaaei

Ajax spent an accumulative of roughly 110M (a record), while selling for 160M, excluding bonuses and sell on clauses.

Ajax lost a lot of key players. Six starters have left this summer, which is a massive blow for a team still trying to find their game and their identity ever since Ten Hag/Overmars left. So far all the acquisitions have raised a lot of eyebrows among the fans. Mislilntat not only spent millions on potential starters, but also on depth players, ignoring the outstanding academy he has at his disposal. The philosophy of the club has been changed dramatically and the first big prospects such as Vos and Misehouy already reached out to social media to show their displeasure with the way things are run now. With 12 (!) acquisitions, and only one dutchman, not to mention a new coach, it will take a few weeks if not months before this team finds some sort of chemistry. By then, PSV might already have secured first place.

Zooming in into the player exchanges. Tadic was Eredivisie’s MVP before Simons took over last year. Immensely vital in Ajax successes over the years, but the more Ajax derailed, the less drive Tadic had. Despite the numbers, Tadic pretty much wore out his stay with the club. The club needed to take new directions. Forbs, Mikautadze, Akpom have been brought in to replace him and Kudus up front. They will form a unit with any of Bergwijn, Berghuis and Brobbey

The departments of Timber, Alvarez and Kudus hurt much more. Timber will be replaced by Hato (only 17) the new CB prodigy of Ajax. He’s been the only bright spot in what’s been an abysmal defensive four so far. Hato has Timber-like potential, but at 17 still lacks experience. The biggest acquisition in Sutalo will likely partner him. Can’t wait, as I’ve heard good things only. Lots of options on the backs now. Sosa, Gaaei, Rensch, Avíla, meaning Wijndal and Salah-Eddine will likely have to look elsewhere.

Van der Boomen, Tahirovic, Mannsverk and Vos (academy) are all nice options to try and replace Alvarez. Neither possesses the passion, the grit and perseverance Alvarez stepped onto the field with, but all four do have a lot more ball playing abilities and vision so I am hopeful here.

All in all, Ajax is a massive wildcard this year. I can’t see them winning the league, but if everyone starts gelling, they could upset Feyenoord and take #2. The way things have started, however, Twente and AZ might have Ajax finishing even lower.

Attack: Brobbey (82), Forbs (82), Bergwijn (83)

Midfield: van der Boomen (82), Berghuis (83), Tahirovic (82)

Defense: Hato (82), Satulo (NA), Sosa (NA), Gaaei (NA)

Goalkeeper: Gorter (78)
Bench: Rulli (81-injured), Medic (74), Rensch (75), Taylor (79), Vos (79), Mikautadze (NA), Akpom (NA), Avíla (NA), Mannsverk (NA), Ramaj (NA)

Offseason grade: C+
Projected finish league: 2/3
Projected finish Europa League: round of 16

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Watching Ajax, impressed with a pint sized midfielder from Fortuna, who had a nifty sequence.... turns out it was Halilovich. LOL

Yeah, Halilovic was all right, made the pass from which Sittard got the PK, which they blasted over.

On the contrary, Ajax attacking midfielder Hlyssen(?) wasn't good at all. In general, lots of poor passing and touches from the Ajax midfield. Tahirovic and van der Boomen didn't create much, lots of safe passing together with CB Hato.

Not that he was noticeably better after coming on, but based on last season, I'd prefer to see Taylor there. At least Forbs and Mikautadze showed some technical ability and ability to take on their man and go past them.

Surprised as Sutalo was already captain, although there were lots of newcomers on the pitch.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Watched Ajax yesterday (mostly cause of Sutalo to be honest) and I don't it.... They look completely sterile and very suspect on natural talent. I know they're rebuilding but I thought they always come up with 2-3 impressive young players.

Any Ajax fans in chat? What's the deal with Ajax then? Are they just failing at a rebuild, or is there some talent there that I'm just not seeing (in that one game)?

Reactions: mfilipo3

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
I’ll be following Ajax now too because of their Hrvati. Where did Medic come from? 2nd bundesliga entire career to starting at Ajax (pre Sutlalo) and standby call up to national team. What’s his deal?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I’ll be following Ajax now too because of their Hrvati. Where did Medic come from? 2nd bundesliga entire career to starting at Ajax (pre Sutlalo) and standby call up to national team. What’s his deal?
He's a decent CB, was one of the best in the 2nd BuLi for a couple of years now. I didn't think he would go to Ajax, and I doubt he'll be in the EURO squad, but we'll see.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Watched Ajax yesterday (mostly cause of Sutalo to be honest) and I don't it.... They look completely sterile and very suspect on natural talent. I know they're rebuilding but I thought they always come up with 2-3 impressive young players.

Any Ajax fans in chat? What's the deal with Ajax then? Are they just failing at a rebuild, or is there some talent there that I'm just not seeing (in that one game)?

Read my longer post above you somewhere.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ajax get credit players being from their youth setup that perhaps they should not. This happens with a lot of big clubs like Barça.

I agree with @Ajacied if I'm making a prediction, which I don't like to do. PSV seem to me to be the team to beat this campaign.

@Ajacied , are your ratings on the younger players current level and not potential level? I'm assuming they are.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
It doesn't really reflect in the final score but Twente thoroughly dominated Ajax. They're also 4-0-0 now and lead the league together with PSV.

Ajax v Feyenoord next week.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
For the first two goals Gorter allowed two juicy rebounds, the shots weren't that difficult he couldn't have held them better. On the 2nd goal I don't what Hato was thinking. He could have closed on/ blocked at least one of the two Twente players, but he let the first one to make a free pass and then casually jogged towards the other player.

Was Unuvar's move to Twente a permanent one? If it was a loan, you wouldn't think he'll be celebrating as much as he did.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax get credit players being from their youth setup that perhaps they should not. This happens with a lot of big clubs like Barça.

I agree with @Ajacied if I'm making a prediction, which I don't like to do. PSV seem to me to be the team to beat this campaign.

@Ajacied , are your ratings on the younger players current level and not potential level? I'm assuming they are.
Current level indeed :)
It doesn't really reflect in the final score but Twente thoroughly dominated Ajax. They're also 4-0-0 now and lead the league together with PSV.

Ajax v Feyenoord next week.
Ajax stood no chance. Awful display. This goes beyond a lack of chemistry. There are no tactics, there are massive holes in both defense and midfield and lots of insecurities up front. No leader too boot. Just a bunch of young alpha males being frustrated. No one is willing to walk the extra mile for one another or be at least somewhat of a positive spark.

Can’t see this ending well.
Ajax just gets worse and worse. Not sure what happend. Sutalo have been shit.
Worst one out there. Not a good debut for him.
Was Unuvar's move to Twente a permanent one? If it was a loan, you wouldn't think he'll be celebrating as much as he did.
Loan without a buy option.
But he sure did flip the bird towards Ajax cheering like that. His transition to the pro game hasn’t translated anyway, so couldn’t care less about him.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Holy shit that new RB for Ajax is horrible lol

Quick 2-0 lead for Feyenoord in Amsterdam

Edit: 3-0 now, Ajax fans throwing flares and match suspended right before HT

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Holy shit that new RB for Ajax is horrible lol

Quick 2-0 lead for Feyenoord in Amsterdam

Edit: 3-0 now, Ajax fans throwing flares and match suspended right before HT

Yeah, RB Gaeei had a terrible match (outmuscled for the first goal, then terrible pass leading to 2nd goal) before he was subbed off already in the first half. But it didn't get much better with Rensch either, even when he has speed.

They continued after the first suspension, but then the match was suspended for the 2nd flare throwing incident. Are Ajax judged to have lost the match or will they play the remaining minutes another day?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad