Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Jarick

Doing Nothing
And a few years ago manufacturers started slimming down the bulk and softening up the caps.

High end shoulder pads for instance aren't just bigger and bulkier than mid range; they have more protection in more areas with higher quality foams and inserts.

BT1SP-1.jpg

B16SP-1.jpg

B14SP-1.jpg

BSCSP-1.jpg

Look at those four pads, from Total One to Classic. The amount of "bulk" and weight is not very much, especially under a big sweater.

Really what it comes down to is this: high end equipment minimizes risk of injury. You're paying money now to avoid the chance of injury in the future.

That's not to say you will avoid any injury with high end equipment; but most certainly they provide more protection in more areas than cheap equipment:
- shoulder pads add more padding around the ribs, stomach, and back, while adding denser foams and hard inserts to the chest and spine
- gloves add denser foams and plastic inserts to the backroll and fingers, add locked thumbs, and incorporate slash protection
- elbow pads add more slash protection in the forearm and coverage of the bicep as well as cushion for the elbow
- shin pads add more slash protection in the calves and cushion for the knee and shin
- etc, etc, etc

What someone chooses to spend on their protective gear should be none of your damn business and it shouldn't trigger any kind of judgment.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
hey guys, i've been working on my skating for a long while now and i'm about to buy equipment and start playing in the fall

i have a question about some of the accessories

garter belts are not needed right like this if you're using compression jock pants with a velcro patch with the reebok edge socks that also have the velcro
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=AC3S
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ACPANT
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SXWHS

does this make your socks secure enough to not need a garter?

also do the shin guard straps make your shin guards secure enough that you don't need shin guard tape?
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=RBKSTRA

also, are the pant suspenders really necessary?
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ARSUS
do hockey pants usually slide off without the suspenders?
i'm tall (about 6'7) but not too fat (size 36 waist about) so i'm hoping i can find pants that are long enough but don't fall off.
i did research and i think i'll go with the reebok 7K in XL. i read those are good for tall and skinny (well not fat) ppl
i am going to use the 7k reebok for all my protective equipment i think

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Welcome!

Most jock shorts are just fine for holding up socks, unless you use EDGE socks, which you probably don't (they are the $30 per pair socks).

Shin straps do the same thing as tape, but they're re-usable.

At your height, you may want to use suspenders because you'll likely be too narrow in the waist/hip for XL pants but will need them for your height. You may have to look into custom pants that are taller as well.

Reebok makes good gear. I use Reebok protective myself. You may want to look into the 9k pants as they should be a little longer in the legs.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Blue,

Re garter belts : yup, the velcro should replace the need for garters
Re suspenders : they are only necessary for those who, for one reason or another, must opt for a pant that isn't tight enough at the waist (usually skinnier folks). Pants should be snug enough to sit on your hip bone without sliding down, however there are obviously some who prefer suspenders either way. It's up to you.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Welcome!

Most jock shorts are just fine for holding up socks, unless you use EDGE socks, which you probably don't (they are the $30 per pair socks).

hey thanks for the response

what do you mean unless i use edge socks

aren't edge socks the ones with the velcro attached so you can stick them to jock shorts?

how else would you use the jock shorts without the edge socks?

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
hey thanks for the response

what do you mean unless i use edge socks

aren't edge socks the ones with the velcro attached so you can stick them to jock shorts?

how else would you use the jock shorts without the edge socks?

Pro stock Edge socks do not have the velcro attached. What he means is that the standard knit socks will stick to the velcro.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Edge socks are made by Reebok with a nylon type material that is used in the NHL but just about everyone playing beer league or whatever uses the regular cotton socks. Edge socks don't stick to velcro.

The retail versions do have a velcro tab on the front, so that's probably why he was confused.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I use shin straps myself. It's great. Re-useable and much less of a hassle to get on/off.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
The retail versions do have a velcro tab on the front, so that's probably why he was confused.

yea exactly, thanks for the clarification

it's good to know that the cotton socks can stick to velcro as well

i'll probably get the retail edge socks that have the velcro, should be nice and secure

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
And a few years ago manufacturers started slimming down the bulk and softening up the caps.

High end shoulder pads for instance aren't just bigger and bulkier than mid range; they have more protection in more areas with higher quality foams and inserts.

BT1SP-1.jpg

B16SP-1.jpg

B14SP-1.jpg

BSCSP-1.jpg

Look at those four pads, from Total One to Classic. The amount of "bulk" and weight is not very much, especially under a big sweater.

Really what it comes down to is this: high end equipment minimizes risk of injury. You're paying money now to avoid the chance of injury in the future.

That's not to say you will avoid any injury with high end equipment; but most certainly they provide more protection in more areas than cheap equipment:
- shoulder pads add more padding around the ribs, stomach, and back, while adding denser foams and hard inserts to the chest and spine
- gloves add denser foams and plastic inserts to the backroll and fingers, add locked thumbs, and incorporate slash protection
- elbow pads add more slash protection in the forearm and coverage of the bicep as well as cushion for the elbow
- shin pads add more slash protection in the calves and cushion for the knee and shin
- etc, etc, etc

What someone chooses to spend on their protective gear should be none of your damn business and it shouldn't trigger any kind of judgment.

Jarick you have valid points and not to sound contencious... and perhaps I'm more opinionated than I should be, but on the first post (from the article) it does in fact quote Bauer Classics or 5030's for beginners and to spend as much as you can afford into skates.

and my opinion is that beginners require more protection than an intermediate or advanced player in a non-contact league, especially IF playing with other beginners... and that skates (though they do matter) don't matter as much to a beginner

my observation should support that, though I do see 2 types of beginners... those who go full out and those who aren't yet convinced, purchase "budget" gear

in the case of the situation above, yes I would say I would sooner support a beginner to buy the "more" protective equipment... but would I say they need "top-end" equipment? I say no, but you're right, its not my business nor decision.

I think most beginners should start with used or borrowed gear... might sound gross, but for a couple games here and there, they'll learn what fits and brands they prefer (whether be elbows, shins, shoulders, pants) even gloves and heck helmets

I do think that beginners again require at a minimum padded belt and hard tailbone protectors in their pants for falls
Hard plastic cap elbows (but almost any low to medium level have them these days)
Shoulder pads that protect the clavicle and some sort of chest protection to prevent not so much a puck, but rather a spear from another beginner
Shins - I suggest as your knees are so important to "life" that they have a nice cradle system and perhaps some sort of dampening system, but I don't think back of calf hard protection is really that necessary
Helmet? Any will do, as long as it fits (vn's are easiest to fit & adjust) and a proper CAGE, again to protect from arrant sticks more than pucks
I do think gloves are important, and I do think that having PU inserts and good palms are tremendously important, so don't skimp there

but do you need to go out and buy a full underarmour one piece with core shorts,neck guard, high end mouth guard, RBK edge socks & jerseys and RBK 11k everything... well its up to you, but its definately not a "need" but it is what you're comfortable with
I think this is especially the case if you don't know what you like, but I just don't think to many people take punishment like a Holmstrom, especially beginners in a non-contact beginner's league.

Jarick, yesterday I played a 5x5 shinny game against some good players (2 CIS and a couple older, ex Jr A players)
we had ice for 2 hours, and that's where sacraficing some protection for weight and cooling makes a difference
there was a bit of contact, but no full out hits and knowing how to prepare and to make heads up plays and keep my head up is all it takes

however, I do have my jofa elbows my old 852 tack pants, One95 shin pads, and my old Hespeler pro shoulder pads for the "odd" game that I know is going to be phyiscally demanding. (I play in a league where the ref's let things go, but there are a couple notorious teams that will not hold back at your number)
do I notice the weight? hell yes, but as I would only play for short shifts and will give the Hurt intentially back... well I don't mind keeping the equipment around

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Guys enough with the essays, there is honestly no grounds for a solid debate here. Jarick wrote this as an equipment starting guide, not a definitive rulebook...

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
www.discounthockey.com

has some great starter packages for cheap if you are looking to just get the gear on and go play. once you get a feel for what you like/dislike you can start replacing pieces.

the CCM one for 100$ allows you to add-on a helmet/skates/gloves as well if you need everything at once.

not sure if its been posted. see ya!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
While you might get away with grabbing the protective and bag in that package deal provided you know your sizes, you really should avoid considering the helmet and skates until you know for sure they fit. You could also do better than the U+01s for a beginner

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
true. i just ordered this. im anywhere between a 13"-15" so i went with 13 and medium on everything. i didnt add the helmet because 65$ i could probably get one for cheaper and at least know how it fits, and im doing roller first so i didnt add skates either.

gloves also should be tested in a store first, cuz every pair i tried felt different in some way.

the bag was a sweet deal so i added the 40 inch.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
yea exactly, thanks for the clarification

it's good to know that the cotton socks can stick to velcro as well

i'll probably get the retail edge socks that have the velcro, should be nice and secure

Be aware that all the retail edge socks that I have seen only have velcro in the front and not on the back, so it is not a good fit. That may have changed though.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
I think it looks funny when people wear the edge socks with the logo(and tab) at the front..I guess there is not a right/wrong way to wear them but I dont get paid by Reebok to wear them so logo at the back for me

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think it looks funny when people wear the edge socks with the logo(and tab) at the front..I guess there is not a right/wrong way to wear them but I dont get paid by Reebok to wear them so logo at the back for me

why is it funny for socks and not other pieces of equipment

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
Be aware that all the retail edge socks that I have seen only have velcro in the front and not on the back, so it is not a good fit. That may have changed though.

Just bought a pair yesterday, they're still only velcro in the front. Had my wife sew some on the back though, took her like 5 minutes, and it works great.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
why is it funny for socks and not other pieces of equipment

olympiques.jpg

Thats the thing I think the logo clashes with the logo on pants/gloves and just looks out of place..I like the logo on the back but it is personal preferance..Most of the guys in pickup wear them logo at front..mine are all black I wear them for performance not to say hey look at my fancy socks

I have used my edge socks for just under a year now and I finally got sick of inconsistency of how effective the velcro on my jock was and picked up a garter belt and my issues are resolved

I had a problem with the socks not staying tight enough to hold the flap at the top pictured below tight to my leg which caused my pants to sit ontop of the flap after a few knee bends

RBK%202K%20Shin%20Guards.jpg

Now with the garter I can get the socks nice and tight and they dont sag

donkers*

I tape my socks at about mid thigh to help keep the socks tight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad