Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
Replace when smelly!!!

Honestly I have some nice gear as well... But I've yet to find a cheaper pant or elbow pad not last as long...
I can see how the jofa 7k pro is made for life, but I mean after about a good couple hundred games, you can't get the odour out of anything...

As to the helmet debate? The benefit of the one piece epp and newer helmets are just the weight and ventillation.

Honestly how many times have you guys hit your head playing this game? I get more pucks and sticks to my bucket than it sees ice.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Replace when smelly!!!

Honestly I have some nice gear as well... But I've yet to find a cheaper pant or elbow pad not last as long...
I can see how the jofa 7k pro is made for life, but I mean after about a good couple hundred games, you can't get the odour out of anything...

As to the helmet debate? The benefit of the one piece epp and newer helmets are just the weight and ventillation.

Honestly how many times have you guys hit your head playing this game? I get more pucks and sticks to my bucket than it sees ice.

Not to argue, but there is no debate on helmets. The only concrete things known are that fit is paramount and that the different foams offer protection against different degrees of impact. That's it. People can argue all they want, but until solid data comes up to back up the quality of protection (esp against concussions), it's all noise.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
AIREAYE, i have a few very specific skate fit questions. i hope you have the patience to read and the expertise to answer it. thanks.

i am on pretty entry-level skates right now, easton synergy 800c, 7W, slightly over a year old. probably close to 100 skates on them. i lucked out with it because even though i got them off the internet, they fit pretty well. i have plenty of room in the toe, i never have a heel pop out, and as long as i wear good socks and don't overtighten, my feet don't hurt. however, there are a few things i don't like about them. the back support is cracking slightly. the tongue isn't padded very well, bunches up in the laces, but it doesn't hurt. the last eyelet is too high on my ankle, doesn't let the tongue move forward. i no longer use the last eyelet and it gives me better knee bend. my skates before this were almost 100g heavier, so i still like these. i don't plan on upgrading them right away, but probably next season if i skate a ton.

today i went and tried on some skates at a playitagain just to see what's what. the skates i liked were synergy eq 40 and 50, both in 6.5 EE. here's how i thought it compared with my current 800c. can you tell me if these are correct or not?

- it seems that its last eyelet is lower than the 800c. the boot feels less hightop-y, but same boot. correct?
- its foot and achilles support has a more forward lean, possibly better for a forward rather than d?
- stronger achilles support. good.
- better padded tongue. good.
- feels maybe a tiny bit lighter. not sure if true or how big the difference would be skating.
- half a size smaller, but fit seemingly the same. why is that? is it ok to still go with 7.0 EE? i have a second set of steel for my 7.0 skate and replacing those for a 6.5 would effectively add to the cost of the skate.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
today i went and tried on some skates at a playitagain just to see what's what. the skates i liked were synergy eq 40 and 50, both in 6.5 EE. here's how i thought it compared with my current 800c. can you tell me if these are correct or not?

- it seems that its last eyelet is lower than the 800c. the boot feels less hightop-y, but same boot. correct?
- its foot and achilles support has a more forward lean, possibly better for a forward rather than d?
- stronger achilles support. good.
- better padded tongue. good.
- feels maybe a tiny bit lighter. not sure if true or how big the difference would be skating.
- half a size smaller, but fit seemingly the same. why is that? is it ok to still go with 7.0 EE? i have a second set of steel for my 7.0 skate and replacing those for a 6.5 would effectively add to the cost of the skate.

For next time, questions should be directed in the Skate Buying Guide sticky : http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1099867

1. yes, the older Synergy boots are lower cut than the current models
2. forward lean in any skate depends on personal preference, not on position. Better ways to adjust for lean can include profiling your skate runners and/or adding plastic shims
5. if the weight difference is felt to be minimal, than the effects will most likely be minimal or non-existent. You will probably notice a large weight difference, obviously
6. TBH, in my experience in fitting for Easton skates, the sizing has been all over the board. I typically go up in size for Easton, however, like I said, it has been very inconsistent. Keep in mind that a perfect fitting size for an adult player is, when standing, your toes should feather the toecap or barely touch it

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Just wondering, why are Jofa pads in such high demand/so popular? It seems a lot of pros use them as well.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Just wondering, why are Jofa pads in such high demand/so popular? It seems a lot of pros use them as well.

They were really, really good. Well made, comfortable, good protection.

Most of the pros use Reebok protective stuff (especially the shins, Reebok claims 99% of all NHLers use their shins) since that's pretty much the descendant of Jofa.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Overkill on protection for most rec players. Curiously enough, they were never very successful when they were available at retail.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011

Most of the pros use Reebok protective stuff (especially the shins, Reebok claims 99% of all NHLers use their shins) since that's pretty much the descendant of Jofa.

except really, I don't understand why anyone who isn't playing contact at a high level in Minor/Jr or isn't a pro would rock pro level gear

if there isn't hitting, there isn't a need for Jofa 7,8,9,11k, TotalOne, X:60, S19/EQ50 protective gear (well I could see the totaONE's pants... as they're fricken light, but ****, they're like $200)

in fact, i've seen more people hurt from "newb's" monster pads hitting people in the face while they chicken wing while trying to loose a puck near their feet on the boards with their 10foot long sticks

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

I just dropped by a Canucks store a couple days ago, and they had a "player's locker room" kind of exhibition. A lot of the shin/shoulder pads are indeed Jofa.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
except really, I don't understand why anyone who isn't playing contact at a high level in Minor/Jr or isn't a pro would rock pro level gear

if there isn't hitting, there isn't a need for Jofa 7,8,9,11k, TotalOne, X:60, S19/EQ50 protective gear (well I could see the totaONE's pants... as they're fricken light, but ****, they're like $200)

in fact, i've seen more people hurt from "newb's" monster pads hitting people in the face while they chicken wing while trying to loose a puck near their feet on the boards with their 10foot long sticks

So? What difference does it make if someone has 3k shins or 11k shins? Is it really that big a deal?

Perhaps Jofa didn't do so hot back in the day because people were going around telling other people that only pros should use it.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
So? What difference does it make if someone has 3k shins or 11k shins? Is it really that big a deal?

Perhaps Jofa didn't do so hot back in the day because people were going around telling other people that only pros should use it.

Jofa had to pay to use the shield and most of their equipment is covered, especially the ones that are desirable like shins and elbows, no one bought them because no one knew about it besides those really into hockey equipment.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

The key word here is 'need' and for the most part, you're right. There will always be people who would prefer the better protection or have other special needs and so more power to them. You can't really scorn those people. If they want it, it fits and they can afford it, that's all there is to it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The key word here is 'need' and for the most part, you're right. There will always be people who would prefer the better protection or have other special needs and so more power to them. You can't really scorn those people. If they want it, it fits and they can afford it, that's all there is to it.

I use top end everything on my legs and feet. Pants, shins, skates. Everything up top is mid range at best (well, apart from the helmet), which is a pretty fair reflection on my game.

I like the protection down low. I tend to catch a lot of hacks at my legs, so nice stuff is helpful. Do I need it? No. But it sure is damn nice.

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
I use mid to low end stuff mostly, but replaced my Bauer Vapor X30 elbow pads with Reebok 8Ks. More protection than I'll ever need, but they were the only ones in the store that wouldn't slide down my arm. The X30s kept sliding down while on the ice and I didn't like that.

I have Bauer Vapor X60: Pro gloves. I'm very paranoid about protecting my hands.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I use top end everything on my legs and feet. Pants, shins, skates. Everything up top is mid range at best (well, apart from the helmet), which is a pretty fair reflection on my game.

I like the protection down low. I tend to catch a lot of hacks at my legs, so nice stuff is helpful. Do I need it? No. But it sure is damn nice.

no scorn, just if you aren't a regular skater, and even if you are... chances are that if you're not playing in a high-level league dressing 20 guys, and you'll have more ice time. The heavier, bulkier the gear generally equals out to being more fatigue (sure a better workout, but wouldn't you rather put your energy into your skating, your passing and shooting?)

there is a reason why the sherwood 5030 shoulder pads are perhaps the most popular pad's out there

I'll tell you... right now I'm using my One95' shins as I'm replacing my others, and I can "feel" a huge difference in weight
same goes from going from One15 elbows to One55 elbows, let alone my 9040 Jofa's

to me, skates & gloves are the most important, as they do most of the work... stick as well, but honestly nobody "needs" an RS in beer league... and surprisingly so many beginners spend so much cash on twigs they don't even know how to use.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
As much as I'd like to don a Sherwood 5030... I've taken some shots to the body and dirty checks by people. I don't know if I'd still be typing right now if I was wearing that instead of what I'm wearing now.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I'd honestly be willing to spend more on high-level shinpads to get more protection, even as a real beginner (assuming you're playing in a league and not just taking classes) because that's probably the area you take the most contact from the puck and other people's sticks even in beginner leagues.

Not that shins would have helped this, but I have a huge welt on my inner thigh right now from a shot I caught while screening the goalie, and I'm always taking things off my ankles and calves that freaking hurt, even when they catch the weak padding on the back of my shins. When the velcro on my shins gives up the ghost for good, I will absolutely spend more for better calf protection and better impact absorption.

And with that, I'm going to go ice my leg again. Owie.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
no scorn, just if you aren't a regular skater, and even if you are... chances are that if you're not playing in a high-level league dressing 20 guys, and you'll have more ice time. The heavier, bulkier the gear generally equals out to being more fatigue (sure a better workout, but wouldn't you rather put your energy into your skating, your passing and shooting?)

there is a reason why the sherwood 5030 shoulder pads are perhaps the most popular pad's out there

I'll tell you... right now I'm using my One95' shins as I'm replacing my others, and I can "feel" a huge difference in weight
same goes from going from One15 elbows to One55 elbows, let alone my 9040 Jofa's

to me, skates & gloves are the most important, as they do most of the work... stick as well, but honestly nobody "needs" an RS in beer league... and surprisingly so many beginners spend so much cash on twigs they don't even know how to use.

I would never tell a beginner that they "needed" an RS for beer league, but if someone wants to spend their money on the best, I don't see why it's anyone else's place to dissuade them from that.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

I wear Easton stealth shins. Incredibly protective, and I have never noticed the weight. You're drawing a false dichotomy here- low end stuff is light because it lacks protection. Mid range stuff often gets heavier with more, but a lot of top end stuff is lighter than the mid range. Are they lighter than the Synergy 300s I used to use? No. But they're more than light enough, and I don't wince every time I hit the ice with my knee.

As for my personal situation, I'm not a beginner, and skate fairly frequently. I was just offering some insight into why somebody might want top end gear.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I switched over the Sherwood 5030 shoulder pads recently. Wished I would have done it sooner. Big bulky pads are annoying and to be honest I don't know how much more that actually protect you.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I will heavily dispute the claim that the 5030s are the 'most' popular shoulder pads out there... They have their market segment and that's it.

Everything else though, there are price points for a reason that cater to specific levels and demands of different hockey players. One is free to jump between them if they should choose, however as long as they know that a certain level of gear should technically suit their needs, all is well.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Gotta say though, I really love my G700 shoulder pads. Picked it up for $50 and I think it's an absolute steal.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
If you're the kind of person who complains about your equipment being a couple pounds too heavy, you need to hit the weight room.

lol, though I can tell you I'm quite fit, I'm just saying that I can play at a higher level longer with less heavy, more mobile, and more breathable gear, and I think most people can benefit from sacrificing some "safety" for performance by buying gear that suits their performance level and the level of physicality tolerated in their league.

if I were still in the age group playing Midget AA+, Jr B+... you bet... I'd want a sternum protector for my chest, I want elbow pads and pants that protect if I get a dirty slew foot during an icing chase
but again, I would be on for 45 seconds full out... then rest for upwards of 2+ minutes till my next shift

in my experiences, pads went nuts in the 90's.. from the old coopers, to Vics, to Bauer Flak, then the Douglas beasts. The current pads I feel still limit visbility and still carry too much weight... though the lastest offerings from the Bauer TotalONE are very impressive.
Elbows went from softies to full plastic caps, to full caps with wrist and bicept protectors and double elbows caps that barely fit inside a men's XL jersey.

If these pads were designed strickly for "passive" protection, I wouldn't have a problem... but as the pads became bigger and more dangerous, they in my opinions have become weapons, and people will take more liberties in the effort of "seperating the player from the puck"

I had hespeler shoulder pads in the day, that were "pro-level" and I still ended up with a seperated shoulder from a hit from a big oaf wearing those douglas pads... in fact one of the buckles cut through his jersey and mine on the hit... what a stupid invention those pads were

just personally the jofa elbows are very restrictive, to the point where I can't extend my arm straight, but I guess its all preference..

I like loose breathable light gear, and alot of people love anatomical everything, from gloves to tight fitting vapour pant

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
lol, though I can tell you I'm quite fit, I'm just saying that I can play at a higher level longer with less heavy, more mobile, and more breathable gear, and I think most people can benefit from sacrificing some "safety" for performance by buying gear that suits their performance level and the level of physicality tolerated in their league.

if I were still in the age group playing Midget AA+, Jr B+... you bet... I'd want a sternum protector for my chest, I want elbow pads and pants that protect if I get a dirty slew foot during an icing chase
but again, I would be on for 45 seconds full out... then rest for upwards of 2+ minutes till my next shift

in my experiences, pads went nuts in the 90's.. from the old coopers, to Vics, to Bauer Flak, then the Douglas beasts. The current pads I feel still limit visbility and still carry too much weight... though the lastest offerings from the Bauer TotalONE are very impressive.
Elbows went from softies to full plastic caps, to full caps with wrist and bicept protectors and double elbows caps that barely fit inside a men's XL jersey.

If these pads were designed strickly for "passive" protection, I wouldn't have a problem... but as the pads became bigger and more dangerous, they in my opinions have become weapons, and people will take more liberties in the effort of "seperating the player from the puck"

I had hespeler shoulder pads in the day, that were "pro-level" and I still ended up with a seperated shoulder from a hit from a big oaf wearing those douglas pads... in fact one of the buckles cut through his jersey and mine on the hit... what a stupid invention those pads were

just personally the jofa elbows are very restrictive, to the point where I can't extend my arm straight, but I guess its all preference..

I like loose breathable light gear, and alot of people love anatomical everything, from gloves to tight fitting vapour pant
Douglas are the Louisville TPS "football" pads?

I had those. Wish I had never fallen into that trap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad