Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Can someone tell me what they think of this purchase I may make (from Hockeymonkey) for 5' 8" 190lbs and a 23.6 in circumference head (sizing)

Shinpad tape $2.69
First Star two tone practice jersey$14.98
Winwell GX-6 Shoulder pads XL $41.98
Winwell GX-6 Shin Guards $26.00
Winwell GX-6 Elbow pads $22.00
CCM Vector V04 helmet with cage Large $39.98
CCM S100 socks$11.98

I have gloves and stick, I need pants too where can i get those cheap and shell)

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
When buying pants, is it better to error on the large or small side. According to the sizing guides I should be right in between the L and XL's. Also, are there any major differences between the CCM U+ Fit 07's and 09's?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Try them on and see, it's important to know that CCM pant legs are shorter than everyone else. It's protection and nylon quality upgrades between the 07 and 09, simple enough.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
i bought a new helmet, which is an L. it's adjustable, but it looks like even on the smallest setting it still slides a bit down on my face. on the other hand the M wasn't big enough. possibly an odd-shaped head.

has anyone ever added any padding to the inside of a helmet right around the hairline that would raise it up a bit? i've searched for helmet padding but couldn't find it online. at least one page however says LHS have replacement padding that you can glue.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'd look at all other options (another helmet that fits better) before adding padding.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
I'd look at all other options (another helmet that fits better) before adding padding.
it's less than 3 months old. i am not looking to upgrade for awhile. somehow i missed this size issue when i was trying it on. i really only need about 1/8 of an inch correction. *sigh*

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
So as I've stated in previous posts here I bought a package minus helmet/skates.

Recently, a friend told me I'm probably good enough for the bronze league.

So I want to upgrade.

My shoulder pads seem inadequate around the rib/stomach area. I'd love a decently priced pad that offers more here. I'd limit myself at 80$ but I'd be reluctant.

I'm also curious if the padded shirts are worth the coin

My elbow pads seem to slide a bit, whats a good way to keep them tight?

Are slash guards a good investment. I got a good one on the arm that left a nice mark but nothing to write home about, so not sure how common that is.

Lastly, I've seen the garter belts but I have just been tapIng on top and it seems to be fine but just want to make sure I'm not missing out! ;).

Thanks for your time!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
So as I've stated in previous posts here I bought a package minus helmet/skates.

What did you get specifically?

My shoulder pads seem inadequate around the rib/stomach area. I'd love a decently priced pad that offers more here. I'd limit myself at 80$ but I'd be reluctant. I'm also curious if the padded shirts are worth the coin

The mid level shoulder pads tend to have good rib/stomach protection, but you rarely need it at low levels of rec hockey. Anyways, you need to try them on to see what feels right. I've never used padded shirts but if it's a padded wicking undershirt it would probably work fine.

Put them on with your arm held straight out instead of bent as your muscles are relaxed. If they still move around, you might need different elbow pads...look for a strap going across the inside of the elbow.

Are slash guards a good investment. I got a good one on the arm that left a nice mark but nothing to write home about, so not sure how common that is.

If you have a gap between your elbow pads and gloves (usually because you are tall or have very long arms) and/or you sweat a lot into your glove, they can be useful.

Lastly, I've seen the garter belts but I have just been tapIng on top and it seems to be fine but just want to make sure I'm not missing out! ;).

I haven't worn a garter belt since I was a kid. I use a compression jock short with velcro tabs, but my tabs have ripped off long ago. I get socks that are a little thicker/tighter feeling and my huge, muscular thighs (okay...my fat legs) tend to hold them up fine.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Jarick,

You rock. Thanks for the tips!

What did you get specifically?

My shoulder pads seem inadequate around the rib/stomach area. I'd love a decently priced pad that offers more here. I'd limit myself at 80$ but I'd be reluctant. I'm also curious if the padded shirts are worth the coin

The mid level shoulder pads tend to have good rib/stomach protection, but you rarely need it at low levels of rec hockey. Anyways, you need to try them on to see what feels right. I've never used padded shirts but if it's a padded wicking undershirt it would probably work fine.

Put them on with your arm held straight out instead of bent as your muscles are relaxed. If they still move around, you might need different elbow pads...look for a strap going across the inside of the elbow.

If you have a gap between your elbow pads and gloves (usually because you are tall or have very long arms) and/or you sweat a lot into your glove, they can be useful.

I haven't worn a garter belt since I was a kid. I use a compression jock short with velcro tabs, but my tabs have ripped off long ago. I get socks that are a little thicker/tighter feeling and my huge, muscular thighs (okay...my fat legs) tend to hold them up fine.

xdl1

Nov 3, 2010
Picked up a pair of Bauer Nexus 400s based on some of the info in here, so thanks OP.

I basically can't skate at all - I hit the closest open skate and it was a total disaster since the ice was packed with 100+ unsupervised preteens who stand still or skate 6 wide. I can't push myself with only 3 feet of open ice. Anyone have any advice or resources they can point me to so I can have more productive sessions?

xdl1

Nov 3, 2010
Can you find a learn to skate class in your area?

It's hard because the nearest rink is 25 miles from me, but after doing the research, it looks like that's going to be my option if I want any weekday ice time. I'll have to make it fit around work somehow.

I found some open ice on weekend morning skates, and I'm getting to the point where I'm falling pretty hard to learn stopping and proper turning etc. So after reading through the thread, it sounds to me like I should be targeting higher end pants, and I can probably get away with low end shins/elbows (and shoulders when I need)?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I'm going to be replacing my gear as I get closer to my goal weight - what would be the best order to do that? Every 10 pounds or so, I'm planning to replace something. After the first 10, I got a new stick. I'm getting close to the second 10, and the one thing that bugs me the most right now is my shoulder pads. They are so dang bulky, I know they make me look like a linebacker and they are just really kind of stiff. They are very basic ones, so I'm thinking just moving up a little bit in price point could get me something lighter and smaller.

I don't want to replace things twice, I'm thinking that if I get good-fitting shoulder pads, they'll still fit even after I reach my goal. My excess is all in my lower half, my top half isn't likely to change in size much. So I'm thinking go in this order - shoulder pads - elbow and shin pads - pants. I will replace the pants very last, unless it becomes a real issue with the pants not staying up.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well let's see...

The gear you most likely won't ever outgrow would be elbow pads, shin pads, helmet, and gloves. Yeah they will wear out but should last a few seasons (the gloves may wear out sooner). Of course you don't need to spend a lot of money on elbows or shins, mid level stuff that fits and doesn't slide around is just fine. If you like your helmet and it's not more than a few seasons old, stick with it.

Gloves, sticks, and skates are the most personal items. I absolutely cannot stand the vast majority of gloves on the market because I like how mine fit, and skates are just as bad. Sticks I'm learning are right up there. So when you figure out what you like, stick with it.

That leaves shoulder pads and pants, both will depend on your size, and if you're losing you'll probably want new ones. Assuming you are a woman, the choices for shoulder pads if you've got a larger chest are kind of small, but a lot of women just use normal shoulder pads. You might even get by with slimmer pads like Sherwoods.

For pants, if they are protective enough, just get some suspenders and that will keep them from moving around too much. Once they get big enough that they are shifting around while you skate, then you'll have to upgrade, otherwise pucks WILL sneak into the gaps.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Equipment

So me and a buddy of mine -- both in our early 20s and have never played hockey despite being fans of it since forever -- have been talking about going to the local rink and taking their adult hockey course (8 weeks) and then maybe joining one of the, er, novice teams.

Can anyone give us advice about purchasing equipment, ie: what to look for, how everything is supposed to fit, brands/lines that are good bargains for the price (since neither of us have a ton of money to spend), etc.? Or maybe just give us some links with info that we could look through?

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
If you're just starting, focus on your knees and elbows, they'll hit hard. Personally, anything that covers them is good to go, find some used gear that doesn't smell rancid and buy it as cheap as you can, in novice hockey you're not going to be taking huge hits nor slapshots that will hurt you.

Spend your money in two places - 1. Skates, bad skates will ruin your experience completely and make it impossible to play. It's fine to go used but make sure they have ample ankle support, don't get "pond" skates. I honestly believe spending less than 150 for skates (new) is just wasted money. 2. Helmet (WITH CAGE, CAGE, CAGE, CAGE) Get a nice helmet, if you're starting you'll probably crack your head on the ice once or twice and it will save you, more importantly the cage - I witnessed a guy who'd played for 30 years get his face carved up by a first year player trying to swat a puck in the air with his stick. No matter how tough you are it hurts, you bleed, you may lose your vision, your teeth etc. Just put on a cage and if anyone runs their mouth just ignore them. Hockey is FULL of idiots who think they're cool - the subculture is one of the best and worst parts of hockey (See gongshow, as in the brand)

Anyhow, just my 2c - I run a beginner hockey program and I see more people buying 200 dollar sticks and 50 dollar skates, but you spend 100% of the time on the skates and <1% of the time with the puck.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
look at the pinned topics above. here's a start: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1049933

If you're just starting, focus on your knees and elbows, they'll hit hard. Personally, anything that covers them is good to go, find some used gear that doesn't smell rancid and buy it as cheap as you can, in novice hockey you're not going to be taking huge hits nor slapshots that will hurt you.

Spend your money in two places - 1. Skates, bad skates will ruin your experience completely and make it impossible to play. It's fine to go used but make sure they have ample ankle support, don't get "pond" skates. I honestly believe spending less than 150 for skates (new) is just wasted money. 2. Helmet (WITH CAGE, CAGE, CAGE, CAGE) Get a nice helmet, if you're starting you'll probably crack your head on the ice once or twice and it will save you, more importantly the cage - I witnessed a guy who'd played for 30 years get his face carved up by a first year player trying to swat a puck in the air with his stick. No matter how tough you are it hurts, you bleed, you may lose your vision, your teeth etc. Just put on a cage and if anyone runs their mouth just ignore them. Hockey is FULL of idiots who think they're cool - the subculture is one of the best and worst parts of hockey (See gongshow, as in the brand)

Anyhow, just my 2c - I run a beginner hockey program and I see more people buying 200 dollar sticks and 50 dollar skates, but you spend 100% of the time on the skates and <1% of the time with the puck.

Thanks. :)

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
This may piss off some of the small business loyalists, but if you have a local hockey equipment dealer, hit it up and try stuff on. See how it feels. If you can find it for cheaper online (I usually use Total Hockey) then go for it. They have a bunch of clearence/discount merchandise if budget is a concern.

Like the person above said, and I totally agree: If you're going to spend a lot on equipment, spend it on skates/helmet. Me personally I'd spend at least $200 on a pair of skates.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't like that too much. I'd rather support local businesses so I can drive my impatient ass to the store and buy something. I rarely buy online.

For skates it doesn't even pay because you have to then have someone bake them, stretch/punch them, profile them, and/or sharpen them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad