Equipment: EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Agree with jarick. The more people implement that practice, the more of those local shops you use for "fitting" close their doors and boom, no shops to use for fitting.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This may piss off some of the small business loyalists, but if you have a local hockey equipment dealer, hit it up and try stuff on. See how it feels. If you can find it for cheaper online (I usually use Total Hockey) then go for it. They have a bunch of clearence/discount merchandise if budget is a concern.

Like the person above said, and I totally agree: If you're going to spend a lot on equipment, spend it on skates/helmet. Me personally I'd spend at least $200 on a pair of skates.

Good way to alienate your local businesses. Don't piss off the people who sharpen your skates...

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
I don't like that too much. I'd rather support local businesses so I can drive my impatient ass to the store and buy something. I rarely buy online.

For skates it doesn't even pay because you have to then have someone bake them, stretch/punch them, profile them, and/or sharpen them.

True. I neglected to mention that the dealer in your area will likely bake/sharpen/etc for free with the purchase. Fortunately there's a Total Hockey dealer 2 mins from where I live so I was able to get that done without much hassle (other than that waiting part).

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I love Total Hockey, such a great store. Great deals inside too that aren't on the web, unlike Hockey Giant. So much cleaner. I used to live 5 minutes from the Edina store but now I'm in St Paul and haven't found a good shop yet.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Good way to alienate your local businesses. Don't piss off the people who sharpen your skates...

My intention was not to alienate local businesses. I had to get all my equipment all at one time and I went with the frugal route. Not saying the advice-looker is doing the same (though it's possible), but that's just my experience.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I love Total Hockey, such a great store. Great deals inside too that aren't on the web, unlike Hockey Giant. So much cleaner. I used to live 5 minutes from the Edina store but now I'm in St Paul and haven't found a good shop yet.

Ive been to TH a number of times (the Edina one too) and ive never encountered these "great deals."

More so the opposite. I usually see their merchandise that has been marked down online, are still at full price in store.

I do love the atmosphere, inventory, and the look of the store though.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Ive been to TH a number of times (the Edina one too) and ive never encountered these "great deals."

More so the opposite. I usually see their merchandise that has been marked down online, are still at full price in store.

I do love the atmosphere, inventory, and the look of the store though.

Maybe it's just the intermediate sticks. They had the Sherwood N12 for $110, the Warrior Diablo/Widow for low $100's, Easton Stealth series from last year for under $100 (not the RS)...

Also, I am on their mailing list and get 10% off coupons at least once a month. Same with Hockey Giant, they've been running 20% off the last couple weekends.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I'm in the market for some new gloves. My Warrior "Hitman" gloves just have too many holes to continue. I was hoping to spend around 50$ and pick up some good gloves on clearance. Anyone have suggestions? I have used the Warriors and a pair of Easton S7's and they both felt pretty good, just lacked durability.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I'm in the market for some new gloves. My Warrior "Hitman" gloves just have too many holes to continue. I was hoping to spend around 50$ and pick up some good gloves on clearance. Anyone have suggestions? I have used the Warriors and a pair of Easton S7's and they both felt pretty good, just lacked durability.

this is a solid bang for the buck if you're ok with navy: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/tps-hockey-gloves-response-r8-pro-sr.html

even better when you consider monkey is currently running a 20% off with free shipping deal.
i'd also recommend taking a look at warrior's pro series II and surge(which is on clearance) that are also solid bangs for the buck.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
What size and color you looking at?

13inch. Color isn't a huge deal. I'll deal with a strange color if that means I can get a nice deal on some gloves. But, Preferable stick with, black,red,blues,green. Nothing to crazy. But I am open to anything depending on the deal:yo:

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I wear 13 gloves and have had the experience that like skates (and shins, I guess), not all 13s fit the same way. Some fingers are wider, some are a little longer and whatnot. Is this a fair impression, or am I just feeling the difference in new 13s and my old broken in ones?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I wear 13 gloves and have had the experience that like skates (and shins, I guess), not all 13s fit the same way. Some fingers are wider, some are a little longer and whatnot. Is this a fair impression, or am I just feeling the difference in new 13s and my old broken in ones?

Yes.

polysaturate

Aug 20, 2012
Peoria, AZ
My intention was not to alienate local businesses. I had to get all my equipment all at one time and I went with the frugal route. Not saying the advice-looker is doing the same (though it's possible), but that's just my experience.
Not ganging up on you...but, most local hockey shops will price match. Sometime's i'll even tell them they can leave $10 or so above the online match, just to show I support tem as a local business. They usually thank me and give me the full price match anyway.

3koma

Nov 29, 2012
looking for new elbow

Hi i am looking for new elbow, senier in Medium, play non checking league once a week. I am wearing Bauer XXXX right now and they just slip downward because the upper strap is quite loose even i already velcro them tightest.
Would like to know which one for following model is better deal
Easton RS (not II) US 54.98
Easton 75S II US US 44.99
or any brand good around the above price

THX

Cheung
(Hong Kong)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If the strap is your only concern, fold it inwards and stitch it to shorten it. That will allow you to velcro it tighter.

3koma

Nov 29, 2012
bauer pro clip visor

Hi
I do have problem with Bauer pro clips visor.I see 2 type of product, one is visor,the other is replacing visor in 2 sets.would like to know replacing visor will can with hardware or not?because i find icewarehouse to mention that they come with hardware,if this true,what is different between those two.thanks

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The actual HDO Pro Clip Visor comes with everything you need to set up the chassis to hold any replacement visors as well as a replacement visor. The replacement sets are just that. Unclip the old visor and clip on the new replacement ones. It's that easy.

BeezyD18

Sep 1, 2012
Gonna start skating soon at a outdoor rink (I'm a beginner) and ive skated before and wasn't too bad, just dont remember the feel. What skates do you recommend for a beginner skater to rent, figure or hockey?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I have updated the buyer's guide with some new links and added a table with recommendations rather than a listing.

I will say I am VERY impressed by the new Easton and CCM offerings, at least as far as keeping the new lines very simple, as Reebok already did. They have entry-level, intermediate, and high-end protective gear.

I wish Bauer would strip from three lines of protective down to one or two at the most. They continue to innovate and improve their product but it is very confusing and I'm sure stores would prefer having to stock less.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I have updated the buyer's guide with some new links and added a table with recommendations rather than a listing.

I will say I am VERY impressed by the new Easton and CCM offerings, at least as far as keeping the new lines very simple, as Reebok already did. They have entry-level, intermediate, and high-end protective gear.

I wish Bauer would strip from three lines of protective down to one or two at the most. They continue to innovate and improve their product but it is very confusing and I'm sure stores would prefer having to stock less.

How do you feel about the ccm u+06 gloves or the warrior burn gloves.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Haven't seen the U+06 but I like Warriors and have two pairs now. From what I see off Google, the Burns look a bit on the cheap end. If you can find a clearance pair of Warriors from Total Hockey, Hockey Monkey, or IW, that's a good bet. Can probably get a formerly > $100 for around $50 nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->