EPL - Matchweek 9 (we're back baby!)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

North London Derby vs Manchester Derby Week

Saturday 1 October​

12:30 Bri'ish Time (7:30am EDT, 13:30 Europe)
Arsenal v Spurs
Crystal Palace v Chelsea
Fulham v Newcastle
Liverpool v Brighton
Southampton v Everton

17:30 (12:30pm EDT, 18:30 Europe)
West Ham v Wolves

Sunday 2 October​

14:00 (9:00am EDT, 15:00 Europe)
Man City v Man Utd

16.30 (11:30am EDT, 17:30 Europe)
Leeds v Aston Villa

Monday 3 October​

20:00 (3:00pm EDT, 21:00 Europe)
Leicester v Nott'm Forest

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Definitely a must win game for LFC this weekend. One of the few games they have against non-top 4 teams to make up points relative to what was dropped last season. Brighton never a picnic for them though and they will have the new manager boost. And we also aren’t sure if Liverpool are good yet. As a reminder, LFC is already minus -9 compared to last year. This is the month that LFC are going to have to find points.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One of the few games they have against non-top 4 teams to make up points relative to what was dropped last season. Brighton never a picnic for them though and they will have the new manager boost.
Not convinced we will have a boost. We lost our manager and 5 staff members that were loved by the squad. It's good the team had some time to settle into their new reality because I think they would have looked like a mentally checked out team had they gone straight into games.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not convinced we will have a boost. We lost our manager and 5 staff members that were loved by the squad. It's good the team had some time to settle into their new reality because I think they would have looked like a mentally checked out team had they gone straight into games.
Worse teams have gotten the new manager boost

I think I made one in 2020 and gave up lol
I was honestly relieved when others started doing it

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You think they should provide scheduling favoritism based on supposed “big” matches?
Is there really favoritism as to what time a game is scheduled? I think that for TV purposes, they should put big games at whatever time is best for viewers. Not sure what time that is, to be fair.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Is there really favoritism as to what time a game is scheduled? I think that for TV purposes, they should put big games at whatever time is best for viewers. Not sure what time that is, to be fair.
I’m saying it should be completely agnostic to the game/teams. He seems to be intimating that it should be moved because it’s unfavorable to the clubs (akin to Klopp complaining about playing the early game after a Wednesday CL match).

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I’m saying it should be completely agnostic to the game/teams. He seems to be intimating that it should be moved because it’s unfavorable to the clubs (akin to Klopp complaining about playing the early game after a Wednesday CL match).
I think it should factor in when clubs played last but not anything else. That is to say, I think that teams that will play a Tuesday CL match shouldn't play on Sunday (let alone Monday) and teams that play on Thursday in Europe shouldn't play Saturday (let alone Friday).

Now, I don't think that applies in this instance, but I do think that the biggest game of the week should play at whatever the EPL determines is the best time to maximize viewership (or, perhaps more accurately, maximize ad revenue).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Worse teams have gotten the new manager boost
Yeah, and those teams are often coming from close to rock bottom. Brighton is a good team that lost a great manager. If anything I think the RDZ era is going to start with some issues. There are a couple of unsettled players atm and many took Potter's departure to heart. Going to take some adjustment time to get them back up to to speed.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
New manager boost is only applicable to teams who fire their manager because it couldn't possibly get any worse. Brighton did not fire Potter and therefore there will be no such bounce. A lot of our key players also didn't play that much this break. All not a good recipe for Brighton.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There's bars open at 6AM in Chicago?
I watched an early game in San Francisco once. That was an experience

New manager boost is only applicable to teams who fire their manager because it couldn't possibly get any worse. Brighton did not fire Potter and therefore there will be no such bounce. A lot of our key players also didn't play that much this break. All not a good recipe for Brighton.
If Liverpool drop points, everyone going to be talking new manager boost

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I watched an early game in San Francisco once. That was an experience

If Liverpool drop points, everyone going to be talking new manager boost

They can talk it all they want, that doesn't mean it's true. If we drop points it's the same thing as before. Squad malaise would seem to be a problem in that case.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They can talk it all they want, that doesn't mean it's true. If we drop points it's the same thing as before. Squad malaise would seem to be a problem in that case.
Going to be very interesting to see how they look with Thiago back in. If they can keep Thiago healthy they will probably be alright but that is a very big if. He has become their most important player.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sure, the Spurs place in Columbus is open that early as well.

The place in Chicago is the Arsenal pub, but I'll wear my scarf. heh

I think their confusion stems from the fact that In Canada there's laws about what times places serving alcohol are allowed to be open, I don't think they can open before like 10am

As weird as North American prohibition-era alcohol laws can be, in Europe you wouldn't want to be wandering into a supporters' pub on match day with the main rival's scarf, so it's a trade-off :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad